• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shiek got the sort end of the stick...again!

enersha

Smash Rookie
hi all
like a teacher that always thinks he's being underpaid (at least on sit coms) i am part of the minority that thinks shiek is under-loved and has thus been given the short end of the stick
shiek has been nurfed i say! nurfed! she has no new skills and shes slower and has no real finishing moves, no i will take these table scraps corperate suits have given me and say nay....nay! i will still main shiek ifits the last thing i do
ok now discuss
was shiek nurfed?
how?
why?
will you main shiek?
why?
did you main shiek?
why?
etc.

edit: also in all the cut scenes ive seen so far shiek has stood in the backround/been a trophy or captured by other means.... -.-

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, I don't get your drift. Either you've played the Japanese copy of the game, or you haven't and are just basing everything you know on screencaps and videos.

MeloDeath

Smash Apprentice
sheik deserved to be nerfed (yes, this is how you actually spell it ^^).
She was a horribly lame and frustrating character in Melee. Now that she doesnt have the god-fair anymore, maybe she will need to play varied.

mad_max

Smash Cadet
1. What do you mean the short end of the stick "again"? I'm pretty sure being top tier in Brawl isn't "the short end".
2. No new skills? I think you MIGHT definitely be lying about having played Brawl to give yourself some credibility. As far as I can tell, tether recovery and wall cling are new skills. Oh, and then there's the **** final smash that kills at zero percent (if you can hit them).
3. Teachers are underpaid. Period. It's kind of a fact, not a minority belief.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ehm, while Sheik isn't bad in Brawl, I'm pretty sure she won't be top tier.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
The tether recovery is nice. And is quite new.

Just really only thing I'll miss is her awsome Fair. When my copy arrives, I will probably main her since my adorable climbers got the real short end it seems.

mad_max

Smash Cadet
Oh, my bad. Meant to say Melee. It makes much more sense that way, I promise.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Well, at least now sheik players will own people with their own skill, not with cheaps "(insert sheik move) + Fair" combos.

I hope that sheik mains dont abandon her and show to everyone that they cans till pwn. She still has good moves and combos.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
Even with her simple combos, it allowed people to play a little more competitive, since they had to prepare for the paper, rock, scissors of Marth, Fox, AND Sheik. She is still average, people will still main her, but not as many. Again, she didn't get the short end.

daemonk

Smash Cadet
I've had the import for a few weeks now. I use to be a Sheik player in melee.

Sheik definately is not as good as she was in melee. But all that has changed to her core moves is knockout potential. Her fair slap barely knocks out. All her move's KO potential decreased except up smash.

People thinks Sheik has changed a lot because of the videos. It might seem that way, but the changes that people see are general physics/game changes that has been applied to every character.
-Stopping animation after running is now longer for every character. You can't run towards someone and tilt down A to pop someone up anymore. The stopping animation is just too long.
-You can't do 3-4 forward tilts in a row when opponent is at low damage anymore. The opponent recovers fast enough after the tilt that he can either counter attack/air dodge/or just move away.
-Its harder to fair after you grab down or down tilt. Mainly because almost every character (except the toon characters like TLink, Wario, Game&Watch) has less forward momentum.

Ultimately Sheik became a mainly land game character. In melee, Sheik was all about aerials. combo starters were moves that pop people up in the air, followed by fair. Her landgame in melee was only used to build up damage. In Brawl, its all about her land game. She still has the land speed/agility/fast moves/rolls to be really good on land. One HUGE tip for future sheik players is: abuse the grabs. ABUSE her grabs. Her grabs arn't any better in melee, but with her land agility, I find myself able to grab really well within this new physics system. I only do air attacks now if I know it will hit.

edit- I forgot to mention her forward smash is pretty awsome in this game. The second kick KO potential increased.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
i'd be maining sheik even if she were quadriplegic.
...on a similar note, she's a Ninja. Therefore, she will still be a main for me.

I was praying that they smack her witht he nerf stick...and they did, I approve readily and now we can show them that Sheik is still awesome. We'll just have to work a little harder to make the awesomeness shine through.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
...on a similar note, she's a Ninja. Therefore, she will still be a main for me.

I was praying that they smack her witht he nerf stick...and they did, I approve readily and now we can show them that Sheik is still awesome. We'll jsut have to work a little harder to make it come true.
Yeah, dude. Sheik was murder to me. My friend abused her like hell.

But I believe this is how they meant to have her in Melee. Zelda as the powerhouse who's a bit slower, while Sheik is much faster while haven't little strength. With this, they can actually be used together... if you're into that kind of thing.

Top Bottom