• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheild instead of grab

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
I main Olimar, so I grab into combos a lot. A LOT. This, however works against me some of the time because instead of grabbing, I just sheild and get grabbed myself. Is there anyway to make sure that when you want to grab, you actually do it instead of sheilding?

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
ehh,... press the grab button instead of shield grabbing?
or dodge or spot dodge

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
ahh I get you so in that case hold the direction u want to throw and keep tapping A or w/e ur attack button is when u press grab. so then if it does shield u'll shield grab.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
it is probably because the animation of your last move didn't end yet. You are just pressing 'z' or w/e grab button you have too early.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Keblerelf is right, but i can give you a more technical version: there is a bug or some sort in the buffering system of brawl. Even though several moves can be buffered slightly before we actually do them (and we buffer moves all the time, without noticing) the grab button's buffering is messed up. The grab button input is a simulation of Sheild+attack input. Because of some issue with the buffering, the attack bit gets dropped, and if you buffer a grab, you get shield instead.
L+A, i think works better. However, if you tap the grab button when you are actually able to do stuff, you'll do a grab fine. (you can also accidentally shield if you hold the button down too long i think.)

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
it is probably because the animation of your last move didn't end yet. You are just pressing 'z' or w/e grab button you have too early.
happones to me alot with marth, i try to grab and the move i did just before is still goin on by a few frames so i hit 'z' so i tab z again and again hoping to grab but it keeps sheilding me. i say just hit Z once and if u shield roll and try to trap again cuz if u try again ur either gona get ur shield up again or ur gona wait and get hit before u do ur grab. i feel ya :( when shield pops up instead of grab its just >_<

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Here's a common answer

DONT GET GRABBED

Anybody else see anything yet?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Keblerelf is right, but i can give you a more technical version: there is a bug or some sort in the buffering system of brawl. Even though several moves can be buffered slightly before we actually do them (and we buffer moves all the time, without noticing) the grab button's buffering is messed up. The grab button input is a simulation of Sheild+attack input. Because of some issue with the buffering, the attack bit gets dropped, and if you buffer a grab, you get shield instead.
L+A, i think works better. However, if you tap the grab button when you are actually able to do stuff, you'll do a grab fine. (you can also accidentally shield if you hold the button down too long i think.)
Wow, I never knew that, it certainly explains a lot. But yeah, in general Shield + A is a better way to grab.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Here's a common answer

DONT GET GRABBED

Anybody else see anything yet?
Did you read or just reply lol its not about getting grabbed really. Mostly about doing a shield instead of grabbing cuz of the grab button bugg lol.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the buffering shield system in this game is too dumb. if ur attack animation is still going on youll shield once its over. also holidng Z makes the shield come too

Top Bottom