• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's d-throw Analysis

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Not really sure how to preface this as I suck at writing.

Umbreon asking me to test out certain things got me interested in this project and some others (like b-throw) that I'll be researching at later points.

So here is something important that I have learned about Sheik's d-throw via testing in dolphin.

- The best DI to get the farthest away from sheik is not straight away, instead it is down and away.

here is a "side by side" comparison of marth being down throw by sheik at 100%. The first one will be marth DIing straight away and the second one will be shown to be DIing down and away. The frame that this captured is the frame before sheik becomes actionable.

as these pictures show, the second marth is lower and farther out than the first marth.

I'm not going to say that DIing down and away is always the "best" DI but it will force you to be farther away from sheik and closer to the ground.

If players start incorporating this DI on d-throw then F-tilt is never a true follow up.

The only attack that becomes guaranteed is Dash attack. Below, I went through and tested every character (sorted by gravity) as to when Dash attack starts being a combo and when it stops comboing. MOST of these are actually frame tight. too early or late and they'll be able to jump out.

I address what happens if you don't want to DI as far as possible away when you get to G&W.

:fox:
No follow ups ever guaranteed

:falco:
no follow ups guaranteed

:wolf:
no follow ups guaranteed

:zerosuitsamus:

No follow ups

:falcon:

No follow ups guaranteed just barely. if they DI only out you can get dash attack starting at 40% until ~58% if youre frame perfect.

:bowser2:

If you get a grab at 0% any sub optimal DI lets sheik's jab connect. frame perfect timing if they DI away.

Dash attack 0% - 130%

at almost all %s it is a frame perfect link. end dash too early and it will miss, dash too long and he can jump out. at 0% you must dash for exactly 1 frame. at 130% you must dash for exactly 18 frames.

:ganondorfmelee:

Dash attack starts working at 65% and ends at 90%

at 65% its dash for 10 frames exactly otherwise you'll miss or he'll tech
at 85%-90% its dash for 14-15 frames

and its frame perfect at every %

anything below 65% or above 90% will get you close

but no cigar

:lucas:

No follow ups

:squirtle:

No Follow ups

:lucario:

No follow ups

:sheik:

No follow ups

:diddy:

No follow ups

:roypm:

No follow ups

:wario:

10% - 55%

:sonic:

No follow ups

:link2:

No follow ups

:toonlink:

No follow ups

:pikachu2:

0-22%

:metaknight:

no follow ups

:ike:

0-115%

not a true combo but Ike's jump animation causes him to get hit.

:dk2:

No follow ups

:popo:

0-86%

:snake:

0-130%
Snake's hitstun animation isn't too kind to him

:charizard:

0-85%

:dedede:

0-125%

:mario2:

0-75%

after about 65% it stops becoming a true combo but mario doesn't have anything fast enough to get out until after 75% including DJ. if you DJ, you'll just burn it the frame you get hit.

:pit:

0-112%

:gw:
0-103%

Same as Mario, don't double jump before 103%. up-b also does nothing to help

here is where most of you ask "well, what if I don't want to go that low? can I go higher to avoid dash attack by DIing out?"

the answer is yes, but.... Fair is still possible

G&W can not do anything out of this (I messed up too, he shouldn't get out of stun at all)

:yoshi2:

0-104% you can always beat DJ coming out by 1 frame.
105%-130% you will hit frame 1 of DJ.

:ness2:

0-40%

:rob:

0-114%

:olimar:

0-80%

:marth:

0-110%

:mewtwopm:

0-65%

:peach:

unusually long dash time
0-65% possible
65% - 75% you will trade with frame perfect nair if you are frame perfect. DJ is too slow for her. Dash for 11-12 frames
75% - 95% you slide under her nair and DJ is still too slow. technically possible to airdodge out. dash for 12-15 frames
95%+ peach can finally DJ out

:kirby2:

0-75%

:ivysaur:

0-85%

:zelda:
0 - 25%
25% - 55% oddly enough, strong hit isn't guaranteed but weak hit is even though its not a true combo due to zelda's tumble animation. if Zelda buffers a jump, strong hit will connect if she delays jump, she'll get hit by weak hit.
Nayru's love doesn't let you escape since sheik is under you.

if zelda does nothing

if zelda jumps out without buffering

:luigi2:

0-57%

Dash for 1-5 frames for 0%
10 frames for 40%
11 for 57%

:samusmelee:

0-25%
0% Dash for 1-4 frames
20% dash for exactly 6 frames

:jigglypuffmelee:

0-15%

Don't dash under 4 frames. you'll just miss

Last edited:

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
You see? This is the **** that makes the game better. Not demanding nerfs every time something is seemingly "busted" or "janky" because people spent all of 30 seconds in a tournament trying to figure out how to deal with it and couldn't.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Ripple too based. Must have taken quite some time to get all this useful info. Thanks for that.

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
You see? This is the **** that makes the game better. Not demanding nerfs every time something is seemingly "busted" or "janky" because people spent all of 30 seconds in a tournament trying to figure out how to deal with it and couldn't.
I could not agree more. As a Sheik main, I'm glad this exists. People should learn rather than just ask for nerfs. Good **** Ripple Ripple

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wow, this is quite extensive. Really impressed with the thoroughness of this! I'll keep this in mind for the Sheik MU.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
This is extremely helpful for the Zelda vs Sheik matchup since we spend so much time in shield and getting grabbed. Thanks dude.

D

Deleted member

This is neat. What about the Sheik's that follow up with U-Tilt?
most of sheiks moves feel really redundant with each other so optimizing her punish game can feel really daunting. that said, i think we can skip the ftilt.

i did start doing ac fair > turn around > uptilt since it hits behind her, not sure how useful it is but its somethjng with that move anyway

ilysm

sleepy
This is incredibly thorough. Quality analysis! Thanks beyond thanks to Ripple.

D-throw get's Sopo slapped until 85%. Thanks beyond thanks to Sheik.

Last edited:

Droß

Smash Apprentice
This is a supreme guide! I'm glad to see documented analysis of followups and optimal DI on a per character basis; it's such a huge part of the game and really impacts how well a player performs. Thanks for doing this for us! :)

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I thought everybody knew down and away was the best DI

Like... just look at the angle the throw sends you

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I posted that because most people just do away as it was "good enough" to get out of things at higher %. I might rework this thread to show what should really be taken away from this thread, that if people don't DI down and away, Fair is still a legit combo option until 5-15% below the max dash attack follow up %.

it also has a use in telling you frame perfect follow ups

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I posted that because most people just do away as it was "good enough" to get out of things at higher %. I might rework this thread to show what should really be taken away from this thread, that if people don't DI down and away, Fair is still a legit combo option until 5-15% below the max dash attack follow up %.

it also has a use in telling you frame perfect follow ups
Isn't the issue with the throw that people cant react fast enough to actually see what throw it is and DI it correctly making it a legit 50/50 guess? (same with game and watch -.-)

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Game and watch is a completely different issue altogether honestly

But you can definitely DI the throw on reaction, so long as you know that Sheik is going to dthrow you almost guaranteed. Bthrow's new KB angle and strength doesn't quite allow for guaranteed setups on dthrow DI I believe. But I could (read: most probably) be wrong.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman

But you can definitely DI the throw on reaction, so long as you know that Sheik is going to dthrow you almost guaranteed. Bthrow's new KB angle and strength doesn't quite allow for guaranteed setups on dthrow DI I believe. But I could (read: most probably) be wrong.
Only if you di wrong, but i think it was argued once that it was unrealistic to DI on reaction (its somewhere in tier list speculation) and since good DI for one = Bad DI for the other and visa versa i think it can stand to be fairly close to GnW. You still have to basically guess. I think it was argued that the first 6 frames look very similar (could be more or less) and theres only like 20 frames to identify the throw and DI accordingly (and i think it was proved that the average reaction was 33 frames to identify if there was a dot or not yet along a complex throw) so i think there not being enough time for reaction DI is a reasonable answer.

Feel free to research and prove me wrong, im strictly only going by memory of what i saw.

Boiko

:drshrug:

Only if you di wrong, but i think it was argued once that it was unrealistic to DI on reaction (its somewhere in tier list speculation) and since good DI for one = Bad DI for the other and visa versa i think it can stand to be fairly close to GnW. You still have to basically guess. I think it was argued that the first 6 frames look very similar (could be more or less) and theres only like 20 frames to identify the throw and DI accordingly (and i think it was proved that the average reaction was 33 frames to identify if there was a dot or not yet along a complex throw) so i think there not being enough time for reaction DI is a reasonable answer.

Feel free to research and prove me wrong, im strictly only going by memory of what i saw.
As tasteless gentleman said, good DI for one throw is bad DI for the other. You have 16 frames to DI the throw. However, the first two frames are identical, effectively giving you 14 frames to react. This is generally considered impossible to do consistently.

That's not really the point of this thread though. So let's focus on the original post.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
As tasteless gentleman said, good DI for one throw is bad DI for the other. You have 16 frames to DI the throw. However, the first two frames are identical, effectively giving you 14 frames to react. This is generally considered impossible to do consistently.

That's not really the point of this thread though. So let's focus on the original post.
My apologies, I did not intend to cause a potential hijack, but to more point out the core issue of "if you DI this corerrectly you can escape" but when its close to inhumanly possible to actually Di this right, this knowledge (albeit very indepth and very well thought out) is almost useless when a shiek is ruining your day with grabs. Maybe give us 25 frames to react and then ill find this information much more useful. But i found this a great read and im very glad that if I GUESS the right DI then ill get away with nothing more than a dash attack (because nothing combos out of that)

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Welcome to mixups. It's a guess on the shiek's part, as well, based on prior knowledge.

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
14-16 frames is very much possible to react to. The issues is actually carrying out the response in time in addition to reacting.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I guess getting out of a mix up 50% of the time is considered useless.
I havent played a (good) shiek since 3.5 but from what i saw (which may have been changed) when i did DI right i ate a fair for my effort.

14-16 frames is very much possible to react to. The issues is actually carrying out the response in time in addition to reacting.
I think it was actually proven scientifically that it was not.

Also to the person who said its a guess for a shiek also... no its not, they will know where they are throwing you and know that youll di wrong or right either way the option is to try to hit you.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
They know which direction they throw you, but they don't know your di, unless they're looking down at your hands.

They can make an educated guess based on your behavior, prior in the match, bit there:s no reason for you to always do the se direction.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
They know which direction they throw you, but they don't know your di, unless they're looking down at your hands.

They can make an educated guess based on your behavior, prior in the match, bit there:s no reason for you to always do the se direction.
Right but DI only influences so much and i am fairly sure there are moves that can cover that full 34 degrees or just react (shiek is fast enough to do that kind of thing) its just a matter of going for the soft punish or the hard punish.

I can hardly call this a 50/50 mix up unless they are going to over extend EVERYTIME they miss

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
The mixup is bthrow dthrow. Di for dthrow sets you up for perfect/ideal bthrow followups; vice versa for bthrow di and those followups.

If you're complaining that shiek can get some sort of followup, even if not her ideal one, when you correctly di the dthrow, then I can understand that and misunderstood the original statement.

D

Deleted member

even if sheik's throws were guaranteed combo + frame trap (which they're not), i'm still not sure thats necessarily problematic.

Top Bottom