• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Dcold

Smash Lord
Well that's how I play, and I'm sure others would disagree but I think that's the best way to play ;D

You could be really aggressive too, but if you're playing aggressive you're gonna need to space perfectly, have amazing control, perfect tech skill, and really good pressure. If you don't have like, ALL of that, then aggression won't work against someone who can just punish you for messing up any single part of that. I don't know how to play that aggressive, but I stick to what I know.

Another thing is, don't just throw out moves and hope they'll hit, all of your moves should be thrown out because you want them to hit, shield pressure, or as a bait really. What I like to do is use autocanceled short hop uairs/fairs and use them to retreat, and if the opponent jumps towards me I BDacus, and if they rush in with an attack hoping to get the landing, I Bdash attack, not always, but it's a decent defensive strategy since retreating fair is pretty good itself imo.

ALSO, NEEDLES OWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. ASK ED I'VE BEEN TELLING HIM FOR A WHILE, AND NOW HE USES MORE AND IT REALLY HELPS. Free damage whenever they're open, it's such a good punish tool, and it catches people off guard when you dash away and b-reverse the needles on ground since people usually don't shield from an opponent running away.

Just some things you could do :D:D:D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You don't necessarily have to walk around, but Sheik's moveset is generally bad for trying to take the initiative when the opponent still hasn't committed to any options yet - she gets beaten out by a surprising number of responses.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Watched 1st match, some things I noticed are that you use Downsmash and Forward Smash a good deal as punishes. Downsmash if not stale can be used at higher percents to catch people with bad DI and can kill on the edge decently, so usually I try to keep it somewhat fresh, as there are sometimes better punishes for what people do, such as uTilt/fTilt/Grab followups etc. The problem with Fsmash is that if both hits don't hit you're in a really bad position. So use it carefully, but overall you had decent movement and some decent decisions.

I'm not good at noticing what to do in doubles to critique them, so I can't help you with that, sorry lol.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I think most of my f-smashes were supposed to be f-tilts lol, although yeah I use Dsmash a lot to catch spotdodges.

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm hopping on the <3 train of F-smash is really good, walk away/shutter step F-smash can catch a lot of people off guard because of the sheer distance it covers, and if spaced right that move deals a good amount of damage. Plus since that move is unreliable to land consistently you don't have to worry about it getting stale. Smash on the ledge is also good because either the first hot will push them off and they'll get hit by the second hot, or the second hit will push them off.

A couple setups I like for f smash are, fresh ftilt (opponent above tilt lock percents) walk away turn around f-smash to catch their airdodge, abd at low percents(before tilt lock) ftilt>fmsmash pretty much always connects. It's a good option to deal damage because it's stronger than dsmash, and grabbing requires you to follow up on them, which unless you get a double hit Upsmash or have a full stock of needles won't outdamage fsmash, and if you dp have a gull stock of needles you might as well fsmash to save them for later.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah I used fsmash to punsih a lot of airdodges since it covers so much space. even with really high mobility you can hit a lot of characters regardless of where the get too.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Meh. Never going to be a big fsmash supporter. Think the move is garbs and it's few uses all have safer options that do the same thing with slightly less damage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've gotten punished for hitting with it at KO percent once. Really annoying to "space well", since doing so causes the second hit to miss consistently.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I've gotten punished for hitting with it at KO percent once. Really annoying to "space well", since doing so causes the second hit to miss consistently.

there are two hit boxes for the first part. the first the tip doesn't move teh opponent at all. the second pushes them back a set distance... hitting with that second one can be iffy. especially against smaller characters. Most of the time there are better options, yes. Its very weak for a kill move and the trajectory isn't amazing either...

But fsmash does have its shining moment(s). When people are in their shield on a ledge it beat just about every option, you can often catch people off gaurd with its deceptive range and not recive as big a punishment on sheild as you would for dash attack or dacus for example.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Although you didn't get punished for them, a lopt of your rolls would have been read, get a feel for being able to get out of a situation without rolling, she's fast enough to just run or to even just turn around to get in a better position. Also some of your dacuses were obvious as a way for going for the kill. Otherwise the fundamentals were there, but I can't really judge how good of an opponent they were so it's harder to critique.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Forgive me Tutu, I'm exhausted so I will have the critique up later. Gotta catch a good rest man.

I will edit this post with the critique once I get it done. I'd say, expect it early Wednesday since I have a mid-term to do lol.

Naridax

Smash Journeyman
Charlottesville, VA (UVA) / Virginia Beach, VA
Daiki's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/daikun15

It has some Sheik vids on it. Not sure if there's anything notable. I'm pretty sure the only good quality videos are WiFi too, but the Japanese seem to take WiFi pretty seriously. Only thing I was really interested in was watching Cross lose to Some's Sonic. I'm pretty sure Some was a somewhat notable WiFi Falco in Japan. At least in the past.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
- Kee vs DLA

This is the only match I was able to get recorded at Retribution. Any critiques? Not a huge fan of this matchup.

Pick up Marth, and space fair.

Or you can hope the olimar player jumps.

More srsly: We have no legitimate approaches to olimar on the ground. You're vest bet is rolling past a f-smash/pivot grab and running in to grab him. The grab isn't guaranteed, but since 40% of Olimar's metagame is upsmash OOS, moat Olimar's reaction to unexpected events is shielding. After that try and punish landings, but once again this is stupid hard because his aerials flat out neat ours, and he's floaty and had a b-reverse with super armor. His Nair is also really dumb to us and can lead into upsmash for an early kill.

The other option is to outcamp him as hard as possible by jabbing/f-tilting pikmin as he throws them. Throw needles back at him if you want, you'll probably only kill a pikmin at most. But if see he has a purple next and is at a range where he has to jump to side-b, I'd wait a second and then dash when he jumps and shield the incoming side-b> fair, and once again you're in a position for an unguarenteed punish, so run up grab is your best bet again.

Use chain when he's on ledge, don't bother trying to gimp him if he has his double jump, as stRed before his aerials beat ours, and he's floaty with a faster tether than us. And super armor. Getting reverse gimped sucks.

I hate this MU too, and really dont think olimar has any reason to lose to sheik bar a severe gap in ability or a big gap in ability and 0 MU experience.

Top Bottom