• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

cablepuff

Smash Ace
I gather some videos where down-air might be useful in actual tourney matches but its situational.

a.) Tech chase off platform. (1:26-128).
Isai vs Husband
b.) Fake out ground attack KoreanDj vs Mew2king 1:40-144.
c.) KoreanDj vs Mew2king35 - 40. Light shield edge hog into up-air.
d.) As a fake out move to peach that would try to spot dodge or shield grab you : 58 secs , 1:12 secs.

I can't find matches where sheik punishes peach block down smash out of shield with sh down air around mid to high percent.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Umm well I saw one of the vids...

I'm not sure if its a good idea to use them a lot he used them at weird moments basically he tricked them sort of.

Umm ill look at more later in general the D-air is a tech chase move or combo continuer basically I don't have too much to say about it so if anyone else wants to comment thats cool with me.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Sheik's best stage is Fountain of Dreams without question
too bad a good peach or samus will tear your ******* to shreds there.

Chain grabbable characters (Using D-throw)

Sheik
Marth
Bowser
Game and Watch ????
Ganondorf
Link
Mewtwo???
Ness???
Pikachu
Roy
Yoshi
Young Link??

All the question marks im not sure of because my experience vs them is very limited.
ness is very chain-grabbable, mewtwo can be for a while as well, though not as bad. GAW is barely, i think only to 30ish from watching plank v. darc, and i'm pretty sure young link is not.

In pools at VLS i was Banks yea, i'm from Maine so I am in a crew with Darc, Dazwa, th0rn and all them. In pools round 1 i came in second losing only to plank in sheik dittos, which I was on my way to winning before he CG me relentlessly. I was pool leader for pools round 2, but i squandered horribly and came in 5th losing to sensei and dope, ande barely losing to kaiser and hyuga. me vs kaiser was terribly squandered, third game on yoshi's story last stock i was well ahead in percent and went too low trying to back kick him and just died =(

but yea lol i had never heard of you before VLS but you looked pretty pro-tastic lulz friggen upsmash out of sheild was harrrdcore, never thought to use that so much vs jigly but it looked very effective
i'm sad that i didn't get to play pools 2. thankfully though you got to kick aesir's low-tier suckiness? that's probably not something to be thankful for.

seems to be more sheik players answering questions than asking them >.>;
maybe you guys should leave it to teczero unless you disagree or if he doesn't respond to or takes to long to respond to someone. just sayin'.

edit: also, tec, who'd you teamwith at VLS? i heard "tecgay" all the time but i didn't know who the other person was. i wish i had gotten to play you :\ but i will during a circuit tourny fo sho :D

brickman

Smash Lord
Here is a question that I have asked probably a half dozen times.

When in the air as a fox is coming at you with an up air, what DI do you use in order to avoid the second hit?

I would like to know specifically from what side they are coming and the relationship do the DI that I must use.

I assume it is a mix of both smash DI and regular DI, but I am curious to know.

Let the answers begin.

Banks

Smash Hero
some people smash the joystick to the side, and some ppl, i think even kdj like wiggle the stick quickly almost as if dash dancing in the air. u have to do it right tho. as for which way to do it it depends on which direction fox comes from, but i'm sure someone could be more specific. Learning the timing to do it isn't that hard, you just smash to left/right at the right moment

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Hazygoose - My teamname wasn't Tecgay... lmao I have no clue who that was I was wondering as well.

As for me I teamed with a really good friend of mine and my crewmate Eggm and we were NJ connection XD.

I don't mind if people answering I only wish more people ask questions T_T lol.

I also don't know if i saw you :( yea we should have played man =/ but i am definitely going to pound 3 so if your going to that we should definitely play there :).

And thanks for the CG help XD.

Brickman - *shrugs* I actually try to DI the first hit sorta up and away sometimes if i feel brave :laugh: but i actually don't know the DI direction you need to input im sure someone does ;).

KingFeeF

Smash Apprentice
Dont know if this has been asked already..oh well

Ive noticed a usefull technique for edgehogging as sheik is to reverse neutral b in the air so that you grab the ledge aftwerwards. Only problem I have is I dont know how to do it. Do I cancel it as soon as she turns around? Ive tried this and it just doesnt seem to work. Can anyone help me?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
???

Oh wait I get what you mean you mean needle canceling and grabbing the ledge im assuming.

It hasn't been asked and its much simpler to do than you think.

First run towards the edge and then short hop(recommended you CAN full hop but itll be slower) tap the control stick the opposite way you are facing and press and hold B. Then press the L or R button and fast fall and grab the ledge.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Uh well.. DA canceled grab is better than dash grab in every way so I'd at least use it when I'd dash grab. But enough about that...

Question:

Does this work?

Sheik Marth-tricks Marth, ledgehop needleturn fair. Repeat *752857828 until Marth dies. Does Sheik have enough time to do it if the Marth lands quite perfectly on the stage?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Uh well.. DA canceled grab is better than dash grab in every way so I'd at least use it when I'd dash grab. But enough about that...

Question:

Does this work?

Sheik Marth-tricks Marth, ledgehop needleturn fair. Repeat *752857828 until Marth dies. Does Sheik have enough time to do it if the Marth lands quite perfectly on the stage?
I have no clue what you really mean by Marth-tricks Marth O.o?

I'm guessing you mean the lightshield hog? If so I don't even think you can ledgehop needle reverse and fair him back off the stage (ie. not enough forward momentum to get yourself in that position). He will have his double jump back, as well so it wouldn't be viable after maybe 60% if you did manage to hit him off like that.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
I have no clue what you really mean by Marth-tricks Marth O.o?

I'm guessing you mean the lightshield hog? If so I don't even think you can ledgehop needle reverse and fair him back off the stage (ie. not enough forward momentum to get yourself in that position). He will have his double jump back, as well so it wouldn't be viable after maybe 60% if you did manage to hit him off like that.
Yes, I mean the lightshield hog. Which you fastfall so that you can ledgehop as fast as possible.

And I can do it with enough forward momentum, so it must be quite possible. The only thing I'm concerned about is if it's possible before Marth can shield or sidestep. And yes, it's for higher %, but if at 70% you can 100% surely kill a Marth from edgehog, I guess it's pretty good. And below 60% or so I think it's still better to either ledgehop bair-ftilt-fair or ledgehop bair-fall off-fair, depending on DI and %.

So does anyone know if it's possible or shall I try to play around with computers and try to figure it out. =P

EDIT: You get enough forward momentum by going forward the whole time, needle turning at the top of your jump, and then holding towards the stage while you press the other way with c-stick to fair

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
An answer, and a question:

Neighborhood P, I checked out the second kick of the fsmash over the edge, if they touch the bottom of the hitbox, it knocks them down at around a 45 degree angle.

Now, for the question. Marth approaches with nair, peach with a floating dair. What does your sheik approach with?

I think the safest is coming in with needles blazing, but obviously you can't use that every time.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yes, I mean the lightshield hog. Which you fastfall so that you can ledgehop as fast as possible.

And I can do it with enough forward momentum, so it must be quite possible. The only thing I'm concerned about is if it's possible before Marth can shield or sidestep. And yes, it's for higher %, but if at 70% you can 100% surely kill a Marth from edgehog, I guess it's pretty good. And below 60% or so I think it's still better to either ledgehop bair-ftilt-fair or ledgehop bair-fall off-fair, depending on DI and %.

So does anyone know if it's possible or shall I try to play around with computers and try to figure it out. =P

EDIT: You get enough forward momentum by going forward the whole time, needle turning at the top of your jump, and then holding towards the stage while you press the other way with c-stick to fair
Thats a neat idea although I'll be honest I don't know.

Although you can jump off and weak b-air them.

If your fast enough you might be able to however if marth moves forward far you might hit the reverse part of his f-air and send them backwards.

I don't think its super practical but who knows i think you should just grab and b-throw but *shrugs* if it works this would make sheik amazing ^_^

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
how do i beat chu dat?
anger and a baseball bat.

I hate attacking the ICs, it's easier if they come at you. The only constant wins I can get against good ICs is by playing extremely defensively, waiting for an opening, then having a tiltfest.

once in mid percentages, I uair or fair just the PCd one and get rid of the other.

At least, that's the gameplan, against chu......

anger and a baseball bat.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Thats a neat idea although I'll be honest I don't know.

Although you can jump off and weak b-air them.

If your fast enough you might be able to however if marth moves forward far you might hit the reverse part of his f-air and send them backwards.

I don't think its super practical but who knows i think you should just grab and b-throw but *shrugs* if it works this would make sheik amazing ^_^

Yeah, I mentioned the b-air =P

I believe you can see when the Marth moves too far forward... But ah well.

I honestly think there are millions of better alternatives to bthrow but >_> let's not go there.

Behemoth, Sheik shouldn't really approach when she doesn't have to. But when I approach it's bair, nair, dash attack, grab or down smash, depending. Or needle if the situation is good for it.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
couldn't you theoretically just wavedash on and ftilt to fair?

or just do the simple dair to bair or fair or uair. mostly the same + no risk of messing up.

Drephen

Smash Master
what stage do you guys think i should counterpick chu with? Ive been trying brinstar and its working alright, any other suggestions?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
what stage do you guys think i should counterpick chu with? Ive been trying brinstar and its working alright, any other suggestions?
WTF is drephen asking us for T_T.

How about rainbow cruise? Its difficult to keep Icz together and its a good place to KO them I mean your going to get CGed till death anyway. Since Icz smashes and grab combos often send people too far anyway it seems logical to think up of some place where they die quickly.

Other than that maybe like DK64 for camping reasons I'm not to sure about that though since chu's pikachu is obscene :(?

Anyway DK64's ledges are gay for Icz too and they probably have to go on the stage just my opinions though

In case you were asking seriously ;).

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Brinstar is good, Poke Floats is good, Rainbow cruise is good. FoD works if you spam needles like crazy, but it's Chu Dat so you're pretty much doomed there anyway.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Hey was just curious if you guys have any good mindgames for sheik i'm very limited in that dept. i'm pretty sure the only mind games i throw in is running at the opponent then wavedashing back or in place then going in for a grab or doing a sh nair or fair after and occasionally something like random empty sh's every now and then any help would be appreciated o and if it helps i play a pretty decent captain falcon and a really good fox/falco and doc player

Drephen

Smash Master
i would love for chu to go pika. What about jungle japes? Anyone have experience with IC on that stage?

EDIT: lol Tec, yeah im serious, you can always learn something from everybody. The only person im really scared to play anymore is chu, him or really good jigglies (so scary).

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I have a question, Drephen or anyone can answer it, idc. When Drephen does his little 0-death tech chase thingy, is he guessing where they are going to tech, or is he actually following them? I mean does he have some sort of idea where they are going to tech based on where they previously teched?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I have a question, Drephen or anyone can answer it, idc. When Drephen does his little 0-death tech chase thingy, is he guessing where they are going to tech, or is he actually following them? I mean does he have some sort of idea where they are going to tech based on where they previously teched?
Its mostly reactions and predictions.

Most of the time your opponent will have a similar teching pattern becase they do it without thinking sometimes.

Its definitely isn't just guessing cuz then everyone would be wrong at least 66% of the time in MOST situations.

You can actually tell where they are going by looking at them very carefully and react to where they are going.

Drephen - Jungle Japes sounds good I have some experience vs icz there but not a lot. I just fought Icz like I always do there just camp them if they ever separate **** one. I would go anywhere that can seperate Icz pretty easily.

If i had to make a list i would say

Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise
Poke Floats
DK64

>_>

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Nah its a good question don't be discouraged about asking >_>.

Kenny - well I mean you have the idea down. Personally I'll just use the Cort idea and say mindgames are an evil term lol.

Seriously though since you can't play an entire game just tricking your opponent you have to either camp or pressure to force something. Rely more on that than mindgames to help your game.

But Empty Hopping WD around and DD are basically the only mindgames that aren't crazy situational.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea i believe this is true you can also land a F-air if they DI away too

Sometimes at certain percents after d-throw f-air you can land a tilt to f-air right after at a bit over 10% i believe.

Sorry I couldn't edit my highly confusing post

S2

Smash Lord
i would love for chu to go pika. What about jungle japes? Anyone have experience with IC on that stage?

EDIT: lol Tec, yeah im serious, you can always learn something from everybody. The only person im really scared to play anymore is chu, him or really good jigglies (so scary).

I imagine Japes would work well, but I haven't actually played many IC on it.

I counter pick Japes againts Fox every time though, since anyone who has a recovery that stalls even for a second (like the firefox) will always die in the water. You can basically spend the whole round trying to knock fox off just a little and only defending against illusion recoveries. Which is cheap, but I've taken out players clearly better than me by this tactic. That's basically what Japes is all about.

I imagine that if IC tried to up-b after hitting the water they'd be doomed, meaning you'd pretty much always know its gonna be a side-b recover (You'd have to test how much the water ruins IC's side B, I dunno about it).

The platforms on the side are great for camping/filling up on needles. And Sheik can recover in a bunch of crazy ways, just watch out for claptrap.

I dunno man, IC's are a pain. I don't think many Sheik players around here are qualified to be giving you tips (especially not me) and the last time I played Chu I got outright slaughtered by his IC.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well character and stage advantages are something everyone knows. You don't have to be like as good as Azen to know about what stuff does good vs a certain character match up in this case stage selections.

I'm personally happy about drephen posting only because hopefully more people will post because of him. >.>

darkatma

Smash Hero
depends on the percent.

sheik can upsmash peach when she DI's behind from 0-maybe 20
grab again if she DI's forward from 0-38(probably, though i've gotten grabs in at 60% before, if the peach doesn't nair. If she nairs, it's just anticipation and shieldgrab anyways)

usually chasing with an usmash is a bad idea because it's too slow

i dunno i play a lot of peach, so i know the matchup pretty well

I never even chance Sheik against ICs, i just switch over to Peach.

edit: whoops didnt read above post :p

Drephen

Smash Master
Ok.. :)

I'll just take that as advice >.< but i think i can see why >_>.
well since all i do against falcon is tech chase, its really hard to falcon to move or do anything on that stage. He cant do too many up b tricksies and if he does its easy to predict. Main thing is to be patient and avoid klap traps ( i always double jump between platforms lol)

Top Bottom