• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Reactionary Tech Chase Input Question

Eric8344

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I was wondering what inputs you all use for the boost grab. I go between a and r and a and z about 50/50. I'm pretty sure I should be using a and r because that way I can shield get up attack. However, the problem I'm having is that when falco does tech in place I sometimes mess up the regrab with a and r because I'm too used to pressing a then r instead of both at the same time. I end up just jabbing and usually getting shined. Thoughts?

Ministry

Smash Ace
I have never heard of A and R. I think most people use A and Z. but use whatever works well for you !

also if you are having trouble with the timing for tech in place. you can always walk a tiny but away from the falco, that way if they wake up shine, the hit box wont hit you and then can get the free grab anyway.

the only downside to this is you are a tiny bit farther if they tech roll away, and also that's one more thought you have to put on your decision stack in your brain when you are choosing options.

Last edited:

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
Alright, so the reason a boost grab works is because you're using part of the momentum of the dash attack but since you're cancelling it before the hitbox comes out, you're getting an extending grab box.
So the only input for boost grab is A + Z.
And you don't want to press them at the same time like a jump cancelled grab, because again you want the momentum from the dash attack.
The problem with BG is that it has a lot more end lag than Jump cancelled grab.
JC grab gives you a slightly smaller dash grab box but has really good recovery time.
Boost grab gives you really shi.tty recovery but a really long grab box, for Sheik it's actually good enough to straight out beat dash dance.

The reason A + R shouldn't work is because that's an input for shield grab, and you can't cancel a dash attack with shield.

TL;DR
A + Z not A + R

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
That's almost exactly right. You don't press A + R/L/Z at the same time. That would be semi-inaccurate & can mislead people to doing accidental stunted grabs if they press block first.
Z R or L all do work tho & it doesn't matter which u use. But "momentum" might b a tad inaccurate as well. Since the "boost" increases or decreases depending on how many frames you leave open before you press Z/R/L after pressing A. Only for that first frame of DAtk from pressing A would you have to press L/R/Z+A at the same time, but there's still a 3 frame window after that to press L/R/Z to boost grab. To get most distance out of the DAtk animation you'll want to delay pressing L/R/Z as far as possible to get the most distance. Pressing them at the same time is very close to being the same thing as just doing a running grab. You have to use that extra 3 frames to get the most boost.

It's the way running-grab opens grab-boxes behind the character as well as in front PLUS the 4 frames of that dash animation that make it unique & useful.

I like using L but I imagine it'd be wiser to use Z, since that way there's no tech delay in case you need to emergency tech (if i'm wrong about this somebody please correct). Also it's a LOT easier to make split-second decisions on whether to Boost grab with A+Z or JC-grab with X+Z since they're both being held in similar finger positions.

Last edited:

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
"momentum" might b a tad inaccurate as well. Since the "boost" increases or decreases depending on how many frames you leave open before you press Z/R/L after pressing A.

like using L but I imagine it'd be wiser to use Z, since that way there's no tech delay in case you need to emergency tech (if i'm wrong about this somebody please correct). Also it's a LOT easier to make split-second decisions on whether to Boost grab with A+Z or JC-grab with X+Z since they're both being held in similar finger positions.
Thanks for the FTFY
And yeah I think using A + Z is a lot smarter cause then if you really need to you can SDI down and tech.
And I think for JC grab Y + Z is fine, but I think that's also personal preference there.

Top Bottom