• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Guide Poll

What would you like to see in a beginner's guide to Sheik?

• Explanations for movement techniques (how to perform)

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Explanations for movement techniques (why it's useful)

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Explanations for attacks in moveset

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • An overview of Sheik's positioning game in combat

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • An overview of the tech chase vs Fox and Falco

• An overview of Sheik's edgeguarding vs different styles of recovery

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • An overview of Sheik's combo game

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Practice methods for certain techs

• Chain grab percents

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I have some determination to actually complete a beginner's Sheik guide.

There will be video clips for different parts and I've been picking gifs and other things to include in this thing.

What do you want to be included in this guide? Anything that sounds good, click it.

I'm open to suggestions. I will take some under consideration.

I will likely cross-post the guide elsewhere but there will be a copy on SWF.

SUNG475

Smash Ace
Ah I messed up, I wanted to vote for
Explanations for movement techniques (why it's useful) I think it's the most important for beginners

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
All hail the hypnotoad.

edit:

I'm gonna begin working on the guide after my date tomorrow. But there's still a lot of simple labour that I need to do before writing can begin. So vote. Don't be discouraged from voting.

Poll will stay open until the coming Thursday. Then I'll be going to SWEET XIV and begin the heavy writing once I get back from that.

Gracen

Smash Cadet
I feel like the positioning in combat is just too useful not to cover.

As an early and (or) advanced Sheik player this is crucial because she lacks the ability of maintaining Pole Position vs characters that can take space away simply because they're occupying a part of the stage.

D-Beat

Smash Rookie
I feel like a lot of the options are better learned through visual demonstration in matches, which is why I voted for
Explanations for movement techniques (why it's useful). With an absence of good commentary (insightful or descriptive, not solely based on entertainment value) in some matches, it's easy to overlook why movement was so crucial as opposed to how it was technically performed. It also doesn't seem like something you'd develop as easy by simply playing the game in repetition.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
"An overview of Sheik's positioning game in combat" seems like it covers the important other ones, so I'm voting for it because it seems to me like it would include both using her moveset and why movement techniques are useful. Her edge guarding and combo game I find to be pretty intuitive, and guides to how to do different techniques are already all over the place.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
im gonna go with popular opinion and vote for positioning. most crucial point on that list imo

if i had a 2nd vote it would have gone to combos since thats what everyone wants to know when they're new and are directed to a tutorial

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If its a beginners guide I feel like character specific stuff should be left out for the time being. I'd save it for another guide just to make it clearer. Trying to learn new games myself I find so many guides with SO much information that its so easy to get lost and difficult for me to figure out what to prioritize.

For a beginner guide I feel like the emphasis should be on:

Movelist - when to use what and why
Movement - Why its useful when to use.
Edgeguarding basics - What moves are generically good and what a general goal is.
Overview of combo guide - Again, fairly easy combos one can do without giant amounts of practice since sheik is good at those lol
Techchasing

I feel like I'd save the vs spacies things for another guide personally but thats just me

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
REALLY looking forward to this guide. I'm finally at the point where I have the basic advanced techniques down pretty well. Now I'm trying to learn the concept of spacing and positioning so this guide couldn't have come at a better time.

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm on the opposite end of most people as I understand positions/smash smarts really well and just need to focus moreso on the technical side of things...how to perform certain things, the cg percents, and the tech chases.

aquanesia

Smash Cadet
I also want information on the more technical side, comboing and teching.
Also, my guess is that beginners have a variety of different things to learn about, so do it all regardless of time commitment!

Last edited:

Exasm

Smash Rookie
I'm going to go ahead and say that you should make the call KirbyKaze. You're most likely the most knowledgeable player here, what do you reckon is the most important topic? When you answer this question, I think you should keep mediocre players in mind, what separates the "meh" sheiks from the better sheiks?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
  1. An overview of the tech chase vs Fox and Falco
  2. An overview of Sheik's edgeguarding vs different styles of recovery
  3. An overview of Sheik's combo game
  4. Practice methods for certain techs
  5. Chain grab percents
  6. Other (please specify)
1. Explanations for Movement Techniques (how to perform)
This has been covered dozens of times in so many guides. What's really missing is...

2. Explanations of Movement Techniques (why it's useful)
...this. From my beginner perspective, doing the movements (foxtrots, wavedashes, et al) isn't difficult and just comes with 10-20 minutes of practice. The problem is figuring out when to use them in an actual match, and conditioning myself to do so. Understanding where the benefits of using them comes from helps with that, I think.

3. Explanations for Attacks in Moveset
Again, this is already covered a lot in the Sheik forums: "bair and fair and nair are awesome, dair is combo fodder and uair are situational, needles needles needles, tilt like a madman." Unless this means going in depth and developing effectual flowcharts for what moves link into what (and what all is guaranteed), then by all means.

4. An Overview of Sheik's Positioning Game in Combat
Spacing? I don't personally need it that much, but it's definitely a key idea. Shield pressure just doesn't work without it.

5. An Overview of the Tech Chase vs. Fox and Falco
This seems oddly specific, and the Tech Chase is all about reading the opponent's movements. Get a buddy and practice.

6. An Overview of Edgeguarding
This seems overly broad, on the other hand, and matchup specific in many cases.

7. An Overview of Sheik's Combo Game
seems like what I'd like 3 to be.

8. Practice Methods for Certain Techs
If it's something like the Trials guide in the Captain Falcon forum, it'd be a great addition.

9. Chain Grab Percents
This is something that anyone can figure out, honestly. Go into training to get a rough idea then have your buddy DI mixup to sharpen it up.

#7 GMV, and a definite nod to #2 as well, though I feel a big part of the combo game utilizes those movements anyway, and having them explained in tandem would reveal their usefulness.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Is there an update to what's going on with this guide? I am looking forward to seeing what it will bring and of course what you chose to concentrate on.

I feel like movement and positioning could be combined into one tutorial. And that, for Sheik specificially, would be ever so helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom