• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Fthrow into Bouncing Fish Combo's. Complete!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
@ Tristan_win Tristan_win
@_Tree
@ Absol Absol
@Wasserwipf

I think F-throw to bouncing fish is worth taking another look at in terms of double jump and single jump combo potential.
I'd be willing to split up some of the characters with you guys, because I just realized this is way too much work for just 1 or 2 people.

I just tried it on Mario and made a short demonstration video, but even with optimal DI, you can combo into bouncing fish up until KO %. Granted, for it to register as a combo, this requires nearly frame perfect execution (most likely buffered) but difficulty of execution should not get in the way of something so useful. Sheik would get a guaranteed kill option out of grab regardless of DI.

Video:

Edit: Also don't let this video fool you. I've played Sheik for about 5 days and am absolutely trash with her. :p
Edit 2: Nevermind, it's not hard. It's only hard when I have to hold down the control stick for DI on the other controller at the same time -___-
@ Tristan_win Tristan_win
@_Tree
@ Absol Absol
@Wasserwipf

So!

I don't have a partner willing to help me test percents on this for the full cast (:urg:), but I managed to test this on Diddy so I have a general idea of how well it works.

And that would be really freaking well!

While I was at 0%, I was able to Fthrow -> BF my friend's Diddy who was VI(?)-ing away and mashing Air Dodge at 110% (in Versus mode, way higher in Training). I got it to combo a few times at 120% as well, but it's super hard I'm bad at it so I'm pretty sure that's why.
I don't remember the exact % for DI Up, but it was at least over 100%.

The problems with this:
  • Rage screws it over, hard. While I was at 100%, Fthrow -> BF didn't work even with Diddy at 60%
  • I didn't get to test Up&In VI or Up&Away VI, which could be a problem as the 2nd one seems most likely to avoid it
  • You have to be frame-perfect, at least from around 108% (Sheik @ 0%) on.
Also, while testing I learned that Dthrow -> Uair true combos into the 120s, though this wasn't tested a lot so I might be wrong.

Oh yeah, and another fun note:
By mashing AirDodge (Invincible Frame 2 IIRC), Diddy was able to escape around 110-120%. By mashing Uair (Frame 3), it he couldn't escape until above 140% (when we stopped testing it, could be higher). Oddly enough, there was no sound either as if Uair hadn't been input.

Anyways, this is legitimately huge, as it's an amazing damage-racker and if you get them at the edge of the stage at 100ish, it kills.
I'd love to test this more myself, but I'd need a partner for that (and time; college sucks) - I'll see what I can do, but I'll probably have to leave this to you all.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
Is this set up like frame perfect or something haha?
I was playing a dedede today and he constantly air dodged the bouncing fish. Idk if i was doing something wrong but pressing Forward then down b isn't exactly exceptionally difficult :p

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
Be sure to hit the attack button to trigger the kick faster after you initiate BF. That's what I had trouble with at the beginning.

Last edited:

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Hey, amazing work, what about the 7 DLC's?

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
well, time has come. it was nice to have you, and im going to miss you a lot. rest in peace, my friend.

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
well, time has come. it was nice to have you, and im going to miss you a lot. rest in peace, my friend.
You do realize this combo still works perfectly fine, right? At the absolute worst it's a 50/50 DI read between hard DI up and every other DI, but considering how DI-able Fthrow was before short hop -> instant BF should still cover every DI at low percents on most of the cast like usual. All this patch did was make Fthrow -> BF stop being true at fairly lower percents - not sure exactly when, but judging from my sets the past day or so it might be 10-ish% earlier.

Man, it's pathetic how quickly the Sheik boards have devolved into whining when she's still one of the best characters in the game. Diddy mains and even Luigi mains adapted just fine, we shouldn't beat ourselves before we even hit the stage select screen.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
To all the people who are complaining about the lack of DLC... Look at the date this was posted.
This is from 2014, DLC wasn't a thing.

Also now this info is all incorrect due to the changes to fthrow. Probably only by a few % at low %s, but at higher %s DI affects this too much for it to be reliable.
Definitely still a viable combo at low %s. At mid-high... ehhh idk.

Top Bottom