• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, see this?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Yeah, honestly I have no idea why people would think these spirits mean so much for confirmed or deconfirmed characters. The man himself said that using these images was faster then making 3D models for the trophies. People are just trying to cling on any info no matter how small to try tell people "Oh, that guy's not in cause he's a spirit!" or yadda yadda.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thing is those Mii costumes didn't become fighters till the next game.

Geno missing could mean he is a fighter for sure, and honestly he is the most likely that also doesn't require a ton of legal hoops. Also if he is in the Shantae is still in too
Yeah, honestly I have no idea why people would think these spirits mean so much for confirmed or deconfirmed characters. The man himself said that using these images was faster then making 3D models for the trophies. People are just trying to cling on any info no matter how small to try tell people "Oh, that guy's not in cause he's a spirit!" or yadda yadda.
There is just nothing concrete about how being a spirit, trophy, sticker, costume or song stops someone from being playable, and anyone who uses an argument like that is just putting up a mask of "logic" to try and make their personal opinion sound more credible. Only assists even carry a little weight there.

The argument is used by these people:

- Detractors looking for anything to discredit their competitors
- Pessimists who had little faith in their character getting in to begin with
- Elitists who find being represented as anything less than playable as a profound insult and a sign the devs just don't care about the character the way they do

It's not necessarily that it's bad people think these things, what irks me is that they don't have the guts to speak the truth and spread misinformation to lower the risk of having their real opinions being scrutinized.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey guys, see this?
Sure did, I even spread it out to other threads.

It's like people seeing trophies for the first time all over again.

Seriously, I get that bringing stuff back from Melee is cool, but not aspects of its speculation cycle too.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
So, real quick question in regards to those spaces people found in the data. I know that the Koopalings take up separate slots than Bowser Jr, as an example, but I'm curious. Are the Ice Climbers listed separately as Popo and Nana, or as one entity?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, real quick question in regards to those spaces people found in the data. I know that the Koopalings take up separate slots than Bowser Jr, as an example, but I'm curious. Are the Ice Climbers listed separately as Popo and Nana, or as one entity?
Last I checked it was one entity (IIRC). No, Nana swapping places doesn't count.

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Lol

I hope this isn’t real he wouldn’t be like this. right?
Honestly I would pay to hear Sakurai say "they're gonna throw live lobsters at ya"
Besides Japan is very respectful and well-mannered as a culture so even if Sakurai legitimately feels this way he wouldn't say it publicly.
As a certain Paul once said: "Japan's all about the respeeeect"

zferolie

Smash Hero
There is just nothing concrete about how being a spirit, trophy, sticker, costume or song stops someone from being playable, and anyone who uses an argument like that is just putting up a mask of "logic" to try and make their personal opinion sound more credible. Only assists even carry a little weight there.

The argument is used by these people:

- Detractors looking for anything to discredit their competitors
- Pessimists who had little faith in their character getting in to begin with
- Elitists who find being represented as anything less than playable as a profound insult and a sign the devs just don't care about the character the way they do

It's not necessarily that it's bad people think these things, what irks me is that they don't have the guts to speak the truth and spread misinformation to lower the risk of having their real opinions being scrutinized.
Yeah, I should be more openb minded about anything happening, but I like having some rules. I would love it if sakurai just breaks them and surprises me.

Though I want Pyra and Mythra over Rex :p

NukeA6

Smash Master
Hey guys, see this?
Twitter also told me of loads of evidence of Shantae being in the game, Vergeben being wrong, and loads of other junk that ended up being wrong. I'll believe spirits that aren't in the fighter section aren't going to be DLC until we see who's DLC.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Twitter also told me of loads of evidence of Shantae being in the game, Vergeben being wrong, and loads of other junk that ended up being wrong. I'll believe spirits that aren't in the fighter section aren't going to be DLC until we see who's DLC.
But if Twitter said that, would that be wrong too?

NukeA6

Smash Master
But if Twitter said that, would that be wrong too?
I haven't seen it on Twitter although the only thing that was ever right was the box theory. I'm just gonna expect the worst i.e. ConnorBot2's DLC prediction on p.614. If we get better than that, great.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Being deconfirmed by already being a Spirit is a flimsy argument if I've ever heard one. We thought Lucas wasn't happening in 3DS/U because he had a Trophy already (and Trophies have been officially stated to be replaced by Spirits here), only for him to later show up as DLC; if anything this increases Shantae's chances because it proves she has Nintendo's recognition. This is while Mythra's spirit art got censored to maintain the E-rating while Shantae is still in her full belly-dancer glory, while also puppeting Zero-Minus-One-Suit Samus who once got blasted by the moral guardians for that exact reason.

"Shantae is a Spirit lol deconfirmed" is not an argument and definitely not true. Stop panicking and leave the naysayers to their tinkling contests.

If there's ever been anything close to a deconfirmed character, it's Rex due to Sakurai explicitly stating they could not make him work when he revealed his Mii Costume. And even this is dubious because it wouldn't be the first time he pulled a fast one like this (see: Zero Suit Samus' reveal in 3DS/U).

e: In fact, thinking about it now, Sakurai reconsidering Rex wouldn't be the first time he backpedaled on deeming a character unworkable. Villager, Pac-Man, the Mii Fighters and Ridley are all characters he classified as "not able to have a good moveset" in previous games, but he always managed to get them going for the next one.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
That Shantae style Samus thing is still continuing.

I hope the trend continues past launch.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ah, well, at least I got one correct. :p

Also, um, on a unrelated note, I just found out on her BTVA page there, that she voiced Shizuku, in Hunter x Hunter. That's pretty cool. :)
I still need to get caught up with that series myself, but yeah it’s pretty cool seeing her in stuff like that as well. Think her voice would fit anyone in Sequin Land no matter how major or minor?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Could her voice fit the Chef Girl?
I could see that. My personal pick for Chef Girl is either Christine Marie Cabanos or Cassandra Lee Morris and I could see her fitting as well. I could also see her being one of the town NPC’s or even a type of the female enemies if they’re able to speak. (I mean if non-anthropomorphic blobfish can speak, well...)

Also I was wrong and I should be ashamed of myself:
http://danganronpa.wikia.com/wiki/Janice_Kawaye

For some reason she wasn’t listed on BTVA or Wikipedia but on IMDb

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Heh, that's a little strange, but okay. :p

And, there's no need to be ashamed. It's alright. :)
Probably something voice actor union related if she’s even part of one or she just went uncredited, who knows?

And I mean I probably should’ve scrolled down a bit more while I was looking, but it’s alright.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Probably something voice actor union related if she’s even part of one or she just went uncredited, who knows?

And I mean I probably should’ve scrolled down a bit more while I was looking, but it’s alright.
Um, Wade, so, I have a rather weird, and out of the blue, question, I'd like to ask you...

If Cherami Leigh, were to voice a character, other than Rottytops, in the Shantae universe, who would they be? :)
http://shantae.wikia.com/wiki/Cherami_Leigh?action=edit

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Um, Wade, so, I have a rather weird, and out of the blue, question, I'd like to ask you...

If Cherami Leigh, were to voice a character, other than Rottytops, in the Shantae universe, who would they be? :)
Holly Lingerbean, of course.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Holly Lingerbean, of course.
Yeah I’d say she’d fit either Holly or Twitch (even though I’m dead set on Kira Buckland and Sarah Williams for those two)

And if the enemies could speak I could definitely see her voice fitting the Slimegals.

Hey zferolie zferolie I dunno if it’s something you thought about when designing her, but do you have a voice or type of voice in mind you think would fit Slimegal?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah I’d say she’d fit either Holly or Twitch (even though I’m dead set on Kira Buckland and Sarah Williams for those two)

And if the enemies could speak I could definitely see her voice fitting the Slimegals.

Hey zferolie zferolie I dunno if it’s something you thought about when designing her, but do you have a voice or type of voice in mind you think would fit Slimegal?
Hmmm I am not sure. terrible with names but yeah I think Sarah Williams works. She voiced Peacock from skullgirls yes? I actually have a video of peacock singing Yako's world. Got it made as part of the reward for the skullgirls Indiegogo(as well as going to vegas and hanging out with the whole team)

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm I am not sure. terrible with names but yeah I think Sarah Williams works. She voiced Peacock from skullgirls yes? I actually have a video of peacock singing Yako's world. Got it made as part of the reward for the skullgirls Indiegogo(as well as going to vegas and hanging out with the whole team)
Wait you made that happen? I applaud you sir.

Top Bottom