• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
As touching as that would be, it wouldn’t make sense considering back in Pirate’s Curse she admits to the Pirate Master that she doesn’t know what her mother was like.
Well that sucks. Back to the drawing board I guess :rotfl:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As touching as that would be, it wouldn’t make sense considering back in Pirate’s Curse she admits to the Pirate Master that she doesn’t know what her mother was like.
Then maybe it could be more along the lines of what she always thought her mom would be like? Palutena does kinda have that mom like nature, if a tad bit trollish.

Staarih

Smash Master
My only problem is that people are forgetting a key thing here: Isaac wasn’t even given something as simple as a trophy in smash 4. If he’s so popular, why did he get so completely left out? It’s not like it was impossible to keep his assist, but Nintendo got rid of it anyway. That basically shows that Isaac is a dead character that Nintendo has obviously scrapped at this point, even when K. Rool who was irrelevant even longer, got a trophy AND a mii fighter outfit. Now look at him, back and better than ever in glorious HD. The Kremling Komeback is getting closer than ever, while Golden Sun is gone, not having a single asset outside of a song in smash 4. Sorry for bashing Isaac but I don’t see it happening anytime soon unless a Golden sun reboot is currently in the works.
We have no idea what the circumstances were for Isaac’s AT: some speculate ”Move” wouldn’t have run properly on the 3DS, others say there might’ve been bigger plans for him, but scrapped. Either way, while Golden Sun has been dormant for a while, Isaac has had support from pre-Brawl and honestly, him being first party alone makes him more likely than the likes of Shantae or Geno. To me at least.

Question, what Nintendo character would you want to see Shantae interact with the most?
In the context of Smash, it’d be fun to see Bayonetta and Dixie (if she makes it) to interact with Shantae because of all dat hair.

I mean, I’d feel better about it if that series had an actually good game after the first three. I’m pretty sure color splash and sticker star are some of the worst mario games in general.
Color Splash is actually pretty good imo, but Sticker Star... yeah. I’d still love to see Paper Mario in, and he’d only be a ”third Mario” by looks and name - his paper abilities would set him apart every other way.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Color Splash is actually pretty good imo, but Sticker Star... yeah. I’d still love to see Paper Mario in, and he’d only be a ”third Mario” by looks and name - his paper abilities would set him apart every other way.
I think we can all agree that Color Splash had good humor and writing, beautiful and creative levels, and did many things to try and improve itself over Sticker Star. Shame that's it's base is still a soulless shell of a game. I do think Paper Mario will have a return to form, as I believe that SC was only the SS style because it was in development when SS released and was panned. It's not like they could stop when they had already got a ways into development. That is what I hope at least.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Shantae is one of if not the top pick for Smash for me as I've voted for her in the ballot (along with Sora). If either of these picks happen, I'd be extremely happy. Full support and hype for Shantae!

Last edited:

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Sorry guys I'm not that into Shantae and it is my first time in this thread, so forgive me if you have discussed this already, but have you seen that Nintendo may show a Nindies direct at Gamescom? I think it is Shantae's biggest chance to be shown as a playable character.
Good luck!!!!

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I go to gamescom every year and I don't think Nintendo actually ever revealed big things there, it's not really a 'big reveal' kind of setting usually. The site does say they'll have new gameplay footage of a few games like the new Mario Party and Daemon X Machina. No mention of Smash though.
I'll be there this Thursday however. I'll let guys you know what Nintendo's stand was like when I get back.
And hopefully it's not too insanely crowded so I can actually get a go at the Smash Demo.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
SLUMBER
SupER SMaSh BRoS ULtiMatE

I know it is just a stretch but.....why not?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I doubt we'll get any new information at Gamescom, but we said the same thing about EVO and they teased the Direct there. I'm still on the side of them simply showing the game with no new information, though.

Ultimate is Shantae's best chance of making it in. However, if she's not in the base roster, I think she would be an excellent candidate for DLC. There's no way they're not going to do DLC for Smash.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I go to gamescom every year and I don't think Nintendo actually ever revealed big things there, it's not really a 'big reveal' kind of setting usually. The site does say they'll have new gameplay footage of a few games like the new Mario Party and Daemon X Machina. No mention of Smash though.
I'll be there this Thursday however. I'll let guys you know what Nintendo's stand was like when I get back.
And hopefully it's not too insanely crowded so I can actually get a go at the Smash Demo.
Biggest thing they had before IIRC is Lola Pop's reveal trailer for ARMS.

Random Thought: In a potential Shantae Stage I want Dagron as a Stage Boss, purely so that Super Smash Bros has a Homestar Runner reference in it.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Question, what Nintendo character would you want to see Shantae interact with the most?
For me, I'd like to see her interact with Wario. I've always wanted to see a Wario Land/Shantae crossover, so seeing these two together in Smash Bros. would certainly be exciting for me.
:ultpit:

They're both plucky, have lots of heart and a degree of medium awareness. And they both love delivering corny lines to their enemies. And ice cream. To a lesser degree :ultpalutena: would be the closest thing to a full genie she has ever known.
An interaction between Pit and Shantae would be pretty entertaining to see. I'm willing to bet if Palutena's Guidance returns it'll involve Pit wanting to ask her for a wish after being informed by Palutena/Viridi that she's half genie. (I think I even made a drawing of that long ago when Miiverse was still around. Lost it with Miiverse, though.)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
An interaction between Pit and Shantae would be pretty entertaining to see. I'm willing to bet if Palutena's Guidance returns it'll involve Pit wanting to ask her for a wish after being informed by Palutena/Viridi that she's half genie. (I think I even made a drawing of that long ago when Miiverse was still around. Lost it with Miiverse, though.)
I could definitely see Pit wanting to make a wish in order to fly on his own. Another thing I could see is when Shatae starts talking with Pit, he admits that he was caught off guard as normally his opponents banter with him on his own adventures, but not so much here in Smash, and she'd agree and say the same as she notices that not many of the fighters here aren't that talkative either. I feel like the two of them would have a lot to talk about, to a point where Viridi would have to butt in and remind the two that they're supposed to be fighting each other.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I do have to say when it comes to Wario:ultwario: and Pit:ultpit:, I could see them fitting in the Shantae world. Like, if Nintendo were to do some collaboration with Wayforward that ended up having one of those two playable in a mode, I could see both there gameplay and personality fitting in very well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So another indie fighting game gets a guest character, this time yooka laylee in brawlout.

Still no Shantae, on of the more famous indie characters is not in a fighting game with other indies... more reason to think she may be in smash?
All we need is Hat Kid to make an appearance in one of these and about every major indie character will have gotten into these except for Shantae.

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
Biggest thing they had before IIRC is Lola Pop's reveal trailer for ARMS.

Random Thought: In a potential Shantae Stage I want Dagron as a Stage Boss, purely so that Super Smash Bros has a Homestar Runner reference in it.

My educated base would be that if (oh well, a good hopeful if ;)) Shantae gets into Smash, that her stage would be based off of content in the ending of Shantae HGH Jammies mode.

Jammies Mode Spoilers
At the end of Jammies mode everyone is invited to Risky's Ship for the ultimate slumber party. Shantae says that Risky sure will be surprised when she sees everyone who's coming. In my eyes the whole dialogue between Shantae and Mimic is highly suspect, but could also mean Shantae as a Smash AT or really just a nice thank you to the fans for their support :).
Anyhow, Risky Boots ship as a stage could be quite awesome, since she could use it to visit the seven seas of Sequin land and stop in different locations. The more I think about it, the more appealing such a stage seems...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Also, I have noticed something. The Ultimate Slumber Party is capitalized, meaning it can be abbreviated as USP. If we were to call this the Ultimate Smash Bros, it would USB. It's probably nothing, but I needed to get that out of my brain.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
So another indie fighting game gets a guest character, this time yooka laylee in brawlout.

Still no Shantae, on of the more famous indie characters is not in a fighting game with other indies... more reason to think she may be in smash?
At this point, the fact that she's not been in any of the cross-indie games recently--regardless if she's in smash or not--is interesting. Somethings up. Where's our girl at?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
At this point, the fact that she's not been in any of the cross-indie games recently--regardless if she's in smash or not--is interesting. Somethings up. Where's our girl at?
She is in crossovers like with Blaster Master Zero and other none fighting games but when it comes to fighting games(especially ones that uses Smash Bros as an inspiration) Shantae is being left out. Heck once again I ask has ANYONE asked Brawlout devs why they haven't invited Shantae into their game yet?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
She is in crossovers like with Blaster Master Zero and other none fighting games but when it comes to fighting games(especially ones that uses Smash Bros as an inspiration) Shantae is being left out. Heck once again I ask has ANYONE asked Brawlout devs why they haven't invited Shantae into their game yet?
I doubt anyone would say. It's not the sort of thing either developer would want to bring to light, for there own reasons.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Even if we did asked. I highly doubt the devs of Brawlout would comment anything. Maybe by the wishes of WayForward. Or based on what happen to King K. Rool. Retro Studios wanted to bring him back but Sakurai called dibs to bring him back. Maybe he called dibs for Shantae to be a fighter first.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Even if we did asked. I highly doubt the devs of Brawlout would comment anything.
No doubt we'd get radio silence on that. The last thing Brawlout/RoA devs would want to do is slip up and accidentally leak a character (i.e. we asked WF but they denied our request), especially since Brawlout is coming to the switch. I don't think fishing for an answer from any company will get us anywhere.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt we'll get any new information at Gamescom, but we said the same thing about EVO and they teased the Direct there. I'm still on the side of them simply showing the game with no new information, though.

Ultimate is Shantae's best chance of making it in. However, if she's not in the base roster, I think she would be an excellent candidate for DLC. There's no way they're not going to do DLC for Smash.
I could certainly live with that. Most seem to think that the limited roster spots and popular fan-favorite first/third-party choices are all going against her without thinking of this possible outcome.

The day we get an announcement of a Paper Mario game with no dumb gimmick again will be a day of world peace.
I think we can all agree that Color Splash had good humor and writing, beautiful and creative levels, and did many things to try and improve itself over Sticker Star. Shame that's it's base is still a soulless shell of a game. I do think Paper Mario will have a return to form, as I believe that SC was only the SS style because it was in development when SS released and was panned. It's not like they could stop when they had already got a ways into development. That is what I hope at least.
Yeah, I never thought I'd say that Miyamoto of all people should need to retire, but here we are. Between this and preventing Star Fox Zero from having Gyro controls be optional.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the most glaring thing about this WF radio silence is not only that they have not brought up Smash or Shantae's potential inclusion, but they gave no "Congratulation" to Yachtclub getting SK in. That is the kind of nice thing WF loves to do and they have a good relationship with Yachtclub.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I've got to give WayForward credit for keeping it this quiet if Shantae is actually a fighter. For several years in fact. That must be pretty rough.
I mean I know I wouldn't be able to keep it bottled up like that. For a company like WayForward, they'd probably want to scream it from the rooftops, and rightfully so.
And if she isn't... then why keep it so quiet?

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Matt Bozon himself is also avoiding smash questions and hasn't mentioned SK inclusion as an AT. People on his twitter mention it occasionally and it goes completely ignored/unnoticed. Not really anything new, but he's acting much the same ways as the WF twitter.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Matt Bozon himself is also avoiding smash questions and hasn't mentioned SK inclusion as an AT. People on his twitter mention it occasionally and it goes completely ignored/unnoticed. Not really anything new, but he's acting much the same ways as the WF twitter.
Didn't he respond to a lot of those comments back in the ballot days? If he did, that makes everything even more weird and suspicious.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey, guys, if Shantae gets in, what do you think her series icon would be? You know, like how the Mario series uses that mushroom image, the Zelda series uses the Triforce, Kirby’s series being a star and all that? What would hers be?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
WayForward's silence is quite odd when you consider how vocal they were the last time. It could mean that they're under an NDA due to some involvement with Nintendo that they can't talk about right now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, in the alt concept Wayforward made, it was a lamp.
I hope the deal came through, I mean they'll have made Sakurai's job a whole lot easier with these skins. Definitely a lot more open to letting him do stuff with their biggest mascot compared to some other third-parties.

Sega and Namco: "Give him different shoes and accessories, but nothing too drastic, we want people to recognize them."
WF: "Here, we want all of these, you can even turn her green like Rottytops if you want! ^_^"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, guys, if Shantae gets in, what do you think her series icon would be? You know, like how the Mario series uses that mushroom image, the Zelda series uses the Triforce, Kirby’s series being a star and all that? What would hers be?
I hope the deal came through, I mean they'll have made Sakurai's job a whole lot easier with these skins. Definitely a lot more open to letting him do stuff with their biggest mascot compared to some other third-parties.

Sega and Namco: "Give him different shoes and accessories, but nothing too drastic, we want people to recognize them."
WF: "Here, we want all of these, you can even turn her green like Rottytops if you want! ^_^"
While I doubt they would give her so many costumes, I would kill for them to actually put in the Jamie costume.

Edit: Woops, extra quote at top. Forgot to put it in last post. But as I said earlier, the WF concept symbol is a lamp.

Last edited:

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
Wow this thread has a lot of energy, every time I check it I get more and more excited at the possibility of Shantae becoming a fighter in Smash I really do hope Wayforward's silence is meaningful. Please add me to that support list

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I honestly hope they decide to add the officer outfit as well, just to represent other WayForward titles.

And I could honestly see the little house with palmtrees in the Shantae logo work as an icon too (especially if other character from her game were to join her). It just seems like something that's seen more, but the genie lamp probably makes more sense for her.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A little late to the question, but I too would love to see Shantae interact with Pit.

It's perfect!
Both celestial brings.
Both fight annoying snakes coming out off holes and pots.
And most importantly...

They're both fans of hot baths!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A little late to the question, but I too would love to see Shantae interact with Pit.

It's perfect!
Both celestial brings.
Both fight annoying snakes coming out off holes and pots.
And most importantly...

They're both fans of hot baths!
And they both go in fully clothed, so there's that as well.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It's not like WayForward would be against the idea of putting their Indie character to go up against other indie characters in a Smash like stage. Why is Shantae being left out of ALL these indie type of fighting games. Shovel Knight had no problems with it but then again you have to consider that he was just an Assist Trophy Nintendo would not need to prevent him from other fighting games. Heck Shantae being absent from other Smash like games(or indie fighting games in general), WayForward's silence and Jammies mode dialogue it seems to me either they are trolling us(which would not make sense since this would potentially affect their future sales) or they are literally can't say anything do to a potential NDA they have with Nintendo and Sakurai himself.

Being vocal about wanting their character in Smash is one thing but being radio silence on the matter for YEARS is another ENTIRELY different thing. Think about the line that Urbosa(from BoTW) said to Link about him being mute "Your silence speaks volumes". I think we can take do the same when it comes to Shantae in Smash.

Top Bottom