• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Okay, here you go:
Tha ks. I dont think this means no shantae. Nintendo could have picked her still. Until wayforward says otherwise we are still in the running.

Plus, i bet there will be a season 2, sp even of she isnt in season 1 she still has a chance.

What sakurai is saying is please dont harrass anyone or flood comments with it. You can still push but be respectful

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Okay, here you go:
This doesn't deconfirm Shantae, it just confirms what I already assumed. Basically, if you want your character in Smash you submit them to Nintendo, and if Nintendo wants your character they'll ask you; regardless this compiles a list and then Sakurai decides who gets in and who doesn't.

Ergo, creators don't know if they got in or not, which would explain why Matt is no longer being quiet as he has no idea.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I skimmed this page so far, and I looks like Sakurai's tweet already made it here, which is good.

But I still wanted to put this one here, in particular. It probably won't do any good if she's (for whatever bizarre reason) not being considered as one of the five, but hopefully there will be more DLC some time down the road, if that's the case.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just saw Sakurai's tweet and it took the wind out of my goddamn sails. Nintendo being the ones who decided the characters just confirms that we're only getting advertisements for fighters and now I can only hope Sora or Rex are one of them. I'll see you guys again if a season 2 gets announced but for now I have to bow out, I just don't have it in me anymore and I am NOT looking forward to random gen 8 Pokemon and new FE Lord.
So... nothing about this speculation and support was in any way fun for you? Besides, you could also interpret your "Nintendo only cares about marketing" line of thought as using Shantae to market Nindies.

On a another note... holy snap! I just realized yet another thing ZSS has in common with Shantae! Her jet boots could be a stand-in for Risky's Boots!

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
I've heard that Sakurai has made some tweets regarding DLC, and, apparently he stated that all of the DLC characters were chosen by Nintendo...

Huh.
I'm guessing Shantae might of been chosen for the first 5 DLC characters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well let’s hope she doesn’t end up as corin 2.0
At the very least she'll be an axe wielder, something we dont have yet, and unlike corrin's game, I think, this one will release not just in japan in time. Should be fine :)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Now that is a bit discouraging. however that just makes matts deleted tweet more suspicious. Almost as if it was a breach of contract or something......
Nah, if anything, it goes back to my point that they got way ahead of themselves. Besides, if anything he was saying to still support her for a season pass of 5 more characters. Even if that was hinting at a second pass, it wouldn't confirm that she's a fighter.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Man, now I'm really worried. I feel like with this Matt could end up killing our hopes in a matter of hours. He could send out a tweet telling people to stop using the hashtag and harassing Nintendo and basically confirm Shantae isn't in.
I kept holding out hope, but with how Sakurai is putting this I really don't know if she's even got her sliver of hope she previously had anymore.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I watched Gamexplain's World of Light analysis. Their analysis of Shantae's fight is disappointingly shallow :mad:.

More importantly, though, her location appears to be southeast of where you start, in case you want to try and nab her early.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
You guys are fast, I just saw that tweet but it's already been posted.

Not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous seeing that. I'm by no means abandoning ship, I'm supporting our girl to the end. Butas far as the first wave of DLC goes, we're going to have to hope those at Nintendo who are deciding see marketing Shantae as a good move to have her included in DLC.

Failing that, if wave 2 happens, go from there.

The only thing that would make me truly worried is if Matt retracts us from campaigning as a result of Sakurai's message.

Man, now I'm really worried. I feel like with this Matt could end up killing our hopes in a matter of hours. He could send out a tweet telling people to stop using the hashtag and harassing Nintendo and basically confirm Shantae isn't in.
Basically that (man you guys are quick I can't even get a post in without someone already addressing a point). Here's hoping this doesn't happen.

As they say, "It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings"

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nah, if anything, it goes back to my point that they got way ahead of themselves. Besides, if anything he was saying to still support her for a season pass of 5 more characters. Even if that was hinting at a second pass, it wouldn't confirm that she's a fighter.
He said it was a joke, and he probably thought 4 of 5 due to the piranha plant. I dont think he knows much about dlc.
She's most likely not in for season 1, unfortunately. else he probably wouldnt have been vocal all of a sudden
sorry to say. (not that it's not possible)

I will hold out though that maybe matt is contacted soon or something, if they want her in playable and hadnt made a contract yet.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You guys are fast, I just saw that tweet but it's already been posted.

Not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous seeing that. I'm by no means abandoning ship, I'm supporting our girl to the end. Butas far as the first wave of DLC goes, we're going to have to hope those at Nintendo who are deciding see marketing Shantae as a good move to have her included in DLC.

Failing that, if wave 2 happens, go from there.

The only thing that would make me truly worried is if Matt retracts us from campaigning as a result of Sakurai's message.

Basically that (man you guys are quick I can't even get a post in without someone already addressing a point). Here's hoping this doesn't happen.

As they say, "It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings"
It's naive to assume simply ramping up support near a game's release will result in a different outcome.

If you stop supporting just because of the chance of not getting what you want apparently increases, then it just becomes a death spiral and self-fulfilling prophecy. That's also why it's important to stop and smell the roses along the way instead of only being laser-focused on the ultimate goal. The Samus-as-Shantae art that resulted from a tiny trailer cameo was magical and only served to remind me why I grew to love the series, the characters and the fans so much.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
oh I guess it gives us more time to focus on the second wave!
And who know, she may be part of the first wave anyway :)

I was just starting a small comic made of game sprites about Shantae getting her Smash invitation ^^

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I kinda had the feeling the DLC characters were planned out but haven't been worked on, though this doesn't really knock me down. I'm here for the long run regardless for Shantae. I know a lot of people get emotional over these things but I hope it doesn't cloud you up too much. We still got a ways to go before we see all the DLC characters too, and I already reckon they'll be making more packs of DLC even after this first one.

So... nothing about this speculation and support was in any way fun for you? Besides, you could also interpret your "Nintendo only cares about marketing" line of thought as using Shantae to market Nindies.

On a another note... holy snap! I just realized yet another thing ZSS has in common with Shantae! Her jet boots could be a stand-in for Risky's Boots!
It has indeed been fun, which is why I said I'll be back to campaign for our girl if we get season 2 confirmation, but at the same time I'd be lying if I said I'm not still extremely disheartened after that last Direct (character wise). This is the first Smash game where I didn't get a single one of my most wanted characters, I'm used to characters I want getting hit by the Assist Trophy hammer but usually there was at least one that I wanted that got in and I'd hoped it would be Shantae this time around (or even Shadow or Skull Kid, like wtf). The DLC was a last resort beacon of hope that I'm pretty sure Nintendo is gonna use to promote their latest triple A-listers, I can only hope the Rex Mii costume ends up being a red herring to throw people off while the real Rex is in development, or Square Enix is planning a Switch port of KH3 with Sora in Smash on the horizon. Sorry, but I can't campaign till 2020 when my spirits (get it?) have been beaten into the ground at every turn,

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
It's naive to assume simply ramping up support near a game's release will result in a different outcome.

If you stop supporting just because of the chance of not getting what you want apparently increases, then it just becomes a death spiral and self-fulfilling prophecy.
Slighty confused was this directed at me or towards what Matt Bozon is doing?
'cause I wasn't planning on stopping support. But it would be discouraging if Matt backpedaled on his call to action because he didn't know about the recent statement from Sakurai. As in "my bad everyone, please respect Sakurai's descision and don't go campaigning for Shantae" or something along those lines.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It has indeed been fun, which is why I said I'll be back to campaign for our girl if we get season 2 confirmation, but at the same time I'd be lying if I said I'm not still extremely disheartened after that last Direct (character wise). This is the first Smash game where I didn't get a single one of my most wanted characters, I'm used to characters I want getting hit by the Assist Trophy hammer but usually there was at least one that I wanted that got in and I'd hoped it would be Shantae this time around (or even Shadow or Skull Kid, like wtf). The DLC was a last resort beacon of hope that I'm pretty sure Nintendo is gonna use to promote their latest triple A-listers, I can only hope the Rex Mii costume ends up being a red herring to throw people off while the real Rex is in development, or Square Enix is planning a Switch port of KH3 with Sora in Smash on the horizon. Sorry, but I can't campaign till 2020 when my spirits (get it?) have been beaten into the ground at every turn,
I feel ya. Well, drop by once in a while when you feel like it. The thread might become more mellow, but may still be worth chatting once in a while.
I like that Isabelle got in, but I was hoping for a lot more myself. At least though I'm starting to really like some of the changes they did to characters, and daisy :)

Last edited:

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
I'm in for the Long haul, so I'll just keep up my support, regardless if she's in the "first" five or not. We just have to ensure that when we share Shantae pictures or discussions that we not tag Sakurai or Nintendo directly too often. We just need to increase her presence online as much as we can without being obnoxious or disrespectful.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Basically all this confirms, if we take Matt at face value, is that Nintendo specifically didn't ask for Shantae in Smash.

After all, if Nintendo put the effort of asking for a character to be in Smash then they're likely gonna be in or are top contenders.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So I watched Gamexplain's World of Light analysis. Their analysis of Shantae's fight is disappointingly shallow :mad:.

More importantly, though, her location appears to be southeast of where you start, in case you want to try and nab her early.
Keep in mind that she is an Ace Spirit, meaning that it won't be an easy fight if the team is weak or you don't have the right countermeasures of characters to fight ZSS

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Well, this is quite an interesting development! And I also believe a second season of a fighter pass is almost a no-brainer in Nintendo's book. They are going to make so much money from this game, it's like we're stealing something at $60 so they deserve to get as much as they can out of it!

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
I hope matt doesnt tell the support train to stop, not because its means shantae wont get it, but i feel like all shantae supporters will be catagorized with those people who threatened sakurai for not putting in waluigi
Also some nice art

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What if Matt and WF became uber silent again?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I hope matt doesnt tell the support train to stop, not because its means shantae wont get it, but i feel like all shantae supporters will be catagorized with those people who threatened sakurai for not putting in waluigi
Also some nice art
Lets hope we do not fall into that category for the ends of Smash History

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah about that why can’t they just make her an AT at first?
It's too late now, they're not going to make dlc assist trophies.
We dont know if they plan to make shantae into a fighter or not. But I'd say the chances aren't high unless nintendo copied Sakurai's list, and want to promote indies, etc.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Slighty confused was this directed at me or towards what Matt Bozon is doing?
'cause I wasn't planning on stopping support. But it would be discouraging if Matt backpedaled on his call to action because he didn't know about the recent statement from Sakurai. As in "my bad everyone, please respect Sakurai's descision and don't go campaigning for Shantae" or something along those lines.
It was more of general reminder to everyone, I just felt your post evoked the feelings I was hoping to see when I wrote that post.

In response to your concern, it would be beyond silly if he posted that while he was still expecting an answer of whether or not Shantae was accepted by Sakurai. But can you really come up with a convincing reason that Sakurai would basically go "there is absolutely no way I can make Shantae a good fighter, so I'm sorry but it's never happening", or that Nintendo would really gloss over Shantae when they have heavily featured her as one of their Nindies in the past? The worst I see them doing is, they do have a number of fighters in mind they want in before Shantae, but I don't see them completely ignoring her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom