• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Many people have been saying that it's referring to non-echoes, so it'd be the lowest amount of actual newcomers at about 10 (correct me if wrong), and the reason most of us are expecting DLC is because this is the day and age where DLC is a big part of gaming, and it'd make no sense to go from having DLC in Smash 4 to nothing in Ultimate, especially when other Nintendo games have expansions that are almost able to be their own games, like the Mario + Rabbids DK expansion, Xenoblade 2 Torna Expansion, and Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion.
Actually I believe Melee had the lowest amount of unique newcomers.

Them being Zelda, Peach, Bowser, Sheik, Mr Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and Marth.

Making a grand total of 8 in that instance.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Sorry guys I misposted in the wrong thread so editing this out. Meant to post in the Isaac thread. If this leak is true please stay strong and keep supporting Shantae for DLC! Anything can happen!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, if the leak is real, Isaac and Geno fans are gonna be thrilled, so that's cool. I'm a geno supporter so if it turns out true I'll a least be glad for that. I still think it's all weird, and Im looking forward to seeing the actual truth.
I really want Shantae in whatever case :)

Interesting side note, we managed to catch up to the pace of the isaac thread by 30 posts, we're now 170 pages behind rather than 200 :p

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Actually I believe Melee had the lowest amount of unique newcomers.

Them being Zelda, Peach, Bowser, Sheik, Mr Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and Marth.

Making a grand total of 8 in that instance.
That is if you count the then-clones who are all semi-clones now as echoes. Some I doubt would have ever been echoes, like Pichu. I don't have Melee, so I wouldn't know which would be Semis and which would be echoes.

Well, if the leak is real, Isaac and Geno fans are gonna be thrilled, so that's cool. I'm a geno supporter so if it turns out true I'll a least be glad for that. I still think it's all weird, and Im looking forward to seeing the actual truth.
I really want Shantae in whatever case :)

Interesting side note, we managed to catch up to the pace of the isaac thread by 30 posts, we're now 170 posts behind rather than 200 :p
Wait if the leaks real and we survive the AT massacre, we'll be the top dogs, so there's that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That is if you count the then-clones who are all semi-clones now as echoes. Some I doubt would have ever been echoes, like Pichu. I don't have Melee, so I wouldn't know which would be Semis and which would be echoes.

Wait if the leaks real and we survive the AT massacre, we'll be the top dogs, so there's that.
I can totally see shantae as a dlc character, being an indie. (could still be base if this is fake tho)
I have trouble understand why Bandana Dee would be a dlc character though. I thought for sure it'd be in the base. (tho again, could still be)

also, I meant 170 pages, not posts, edited it ;p

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Heyyy buckos! PichuMain is BACK!! Again!! Sorta...

Anyway, I wanted to voice my own little thoughts about this, since I don't see anyone talking about it.

ASSUMING THAT THIS LEAK IS REAL (I can't believe I have to do this just to make sure that I get my voice across), has nobody thought about WayForwards silence and the evidence we got??

Me personally, that evidence we had went from For Shantae to being playable to Shantae being an assist trophy / a trophy. I'm all up for Shantae being either, at least she's represented in some way, but now I'm worried that she's in the base game as a trophy of some sort.

Its fine if you guys want her to be DLC, but I don't think Nintendo would keep a company's mouth shut for months on end JUST for her to be released. (Not unless they immediately announce DLC right after the game comes out and admitting some of the characters were late.)

I ain't trying to bring you guys down (at least I hope not. I am still in support for ya girl Shantae), but I thought about this all day, and wanted to hear what you guys think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Anyway, I wanted to voice my own little thoughts about this, since I don't see anyone talking about it.

ASSUMING THAT THIS LEAK IS REAL (I can't believe I have to do this just to make sure that I get my voice across), has nobody thought about WayForwards silence and the evidence we got??

Me personally, that evidence we had went from For Shantae to being playable to Shantae being an assist trophy / a trophy. I'm all up for Shantae being either, at least she's represented in some way, but now I'm worried that she's in the base game as a trophy of some sort.

Its fine if you guys want her to be DLC, but I don't think Nintendo would keep a company's mouth shut for months on end JUST for her to be released. (Not unless they immediately announce DLC right after the game comes out and admitting some of the characters were late.)

I ain't trying to bring you guys down (at least I hope not. I am still in support for ya girl Shantae), but I thought about this all day, and wanted to hear what you guys think.
Smash 4 already proved being in the game as a trophy but not a fighter means nothing (Mewtwo, Lucas), and in the former case they kind of did immediately announce DLC before Smash Wii U.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I dont know what you mean; that's how NDA's work. They wouldnt be allowed to say something until it's revealed.
The timeline would work fine too, because we dont know 'exactly' when they got completely silent.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 already proved being in the game as a trophy but not a fighter means nothing (Mewtwo, Lucas), and in the former case they kind of did immediately announce DLC before Smash Wii U.
That makes sense. I completely forgot that happened.

I dont know what you mean; that's how NDA's work. They wouldnt be allowed to say something until it's revealed.
The timeline would work fine too, because we dont know 'exactly' when they got completely silent.
What I mean is that it doesn't make sense (To Me) that they would wait MONTHS before and after the game is released before finally revealing Shantae as DLC. Probably should've phrased that a little better, but it seems a bit crazy to me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

What I mean is that it doesn't make sense (To Me) that they would wait MONTHS before and after the game is released before finally revealing Shantae as DLC. Probably should've phrased that a little better, but it seems a bit crazy to me.
That's how it would work though. I dont know why it doesnt make sense to you, but NDAs can have very long periods.
I get that you have your ideas, but it's better to be open, especially if you want to hope for shantae.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
That's how it would work though. I dont know why it doesnt make sense to you, but NDAs can have very long periods.
I get that you have your ideas, but it's better to be open, especially if you want to hope for shantae.
Even after the game is released months after? I guess if thats how it works, then screw it.

What do you mean open? I just wanted to hear others thoughts about it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This was found out and just shared in the General discussion thread (as well as the BD one);

It's a comparison pic of Battlefield between the leak and an official one that's more open than we might've seen before, and the official one has buildings and stuff that the leak one doesnt. The clouds may not matter as much if they change, but the rest should matter:

(again, you can click to see bigger)

in other words it's evidence that it might be a paint job.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Something I want to point out...Everyone saying that what people thought was KOS-MOS is actually ROB above Yoshi and Ken...I don't see that. If that blob is meant to be ROB, he somehow got a completely different size and pose.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
This was found out and just shared in the General discussion thread (as well as the BD one);

It's a comparison pic of Battlefield between the leak and an official one that's more open than we might've seen before, and the official one has buildings and stuff that the leak one doesnt. The clouds may not matter as much if they change, but the rest should matter:

(again, you can click to see bigger)

I think you're right. I checked myself at the buildings and some other details are in in the official banner. And they aren't in the leak.

I was thinking this exact same thing. Judging from WF's silence period it's safe to assume she would have been selected to be playable pretty early, so why then would Sakurai decide to shelf her all the way until after the game was released? I'm not saying it's impossible, it just doesn't make much sense. I know Sakurai gives certain characters priority when it comes to development time but it just seems weird to keep a 3rd party character in the pocket for so long and just not develop them until it's too late ESPECIALLY if you have the rights to use them so early on.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking this exact same thing. Judging from WF's silence period it's safe to assume she would have been selected to be playable pretty early, so why then would Sakurai decide to shelf her all the way until after the game was released? I'm not saying it's impossible, it just doesn't make much sense. I know Sakurai gives certain characters priority when it comes to development time but it just seems weird to keep a 3rd party character in the pocket for so long and just not develop them until it's too late ESPECIALLY if you have the rights to use them so early on.
They'd want to secure her spot as soon as they can or want to, which means a contract, which means NDA would start.
And that's especially true if they do care about her exclusivity for a fighting game. Sooner is better (to keep from getting into the many indie ones started around).

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
On a completely different note, if anyone was still wondering who Cristina Vee voiced in Soul Calibur 6, I'm pretty sure I found it...but it's not a character technically, it's one of the voice options for custom characters. It's called Zealot, and it definitely sounds yandere.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
On a completely different note, if anyone was still wondering who Cristina Vee voiced in Soul Calibur 6, I'm pretty sure I found it...but it's not a character technically, it's one of the voice options for custom characters. It's called Zealot, and it definitely sounds yandere.
Reminds me of "energetic" female character voice in Xenoblade Chronicles X. I don't love when she goes high pitched. I think she's much better as a normal, smooth voice like Homura or Rei, or fun like Athena in FEH.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

MY theory on this IF THE LEAK IS TRUE, is that Shantae got recruted early on for base roster, but as they were making progress Sakurai decided to move some characters from base to DLC, Incineroar could be one, as would be Shantae, and some others(maybe Dixie like Chadendorf leak says, maybe Medusa because my heart says) This would explain why Wayforward has been so silent for so long, as at first they were silent due to her being in base and was planned early, but once they moved it to early dlc they just kept silent.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wasnt thinking of posting right away again, but I thought it was good to see this one too, because we can see more brightly the area with the waterfalls and the structures (which are missing from the leak):

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
THIS GUY GETS IT!! Explained it better than I could!

So weird, right? If it happens, I'll eat dirty socks, but its so bizarre. Like, why the exclusivity from Indie Pogo and all the other competitive indies? Why so much silence before and now? How high is she on Sakurai's priority list? If she's being developed late, why now, and not before?

But lets assume that the NDA is keeping Wayforward silent even after game release. My biggest question is Why?? Why keep her for so long?

Thats all I wanted to hear. Its been bugging me all day. Thank you dude. Explained it better than I could.

MY theory on this IF THE LEAK IS TRUE, is that Shantae got recruted early on for base roster, but as they were making progress Sakurai decided to move some characters from base to DLC, Incineroar could be one, as would be Shantae, and some others(maybe Dixie like Chadendorf leak says, maybe Medusa because my heart says) This would explain why Wayforward has been so silent for so long, as at first they were silent due to her being in base and was planned early, but once they moved it to early dlc they just kept silent.
As I type my response above, you put out an awesome answer. Lol.

If thats the case, NOW I can see why Wayforward is still silent. Makes perfect sense. And I genuinely hope this is the case.

I wasnt thinking of posting right away again, but I thought it was good to see this one too, because we can see more brightly the area with the waterfalls and the structures (which are missing from the leak):

I genuinely didn't know there WAS a waterfall, what with all the characters standing in the way.

Nice catch.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
What gets me is that a blank version of the battlefield pic DOES exist, so that's not the undeniable proof anymore.

They'd want to secure her spot as soon as they can or want to, which means a contract, which means NDA would start.
And that's especially true if they do care about her exclusivity for a fighting game. Sooner is better (to keep from getting into the many indie ones started around).
Y'see that makes total sense. What doesn't however is Mr. Shove as much as I can into the base game Sakurai deciding to shelf ANYONE for dlc unless they were too new like Rex & Homura or Spring Man. It just doesn't seem to add up with his development style and if we look to past Smash games as a reference, any characters that didn't have enough dev time were just straight up cut from the game. If we got Chrom or a Rhythm Heaven rep as dlc for Smash 4 then it would be a pretty open and shut case but it seems like if Sakurai doesn't have time to finish a character then it's a "perhaps I'll get my chance another day" scenario. This is why I gun so hard for Shantae being in the base game, not only do I not wanna wait possibly half a year just to know if she's dlc or not, it's also entirely possible Sakurai just said "**** it, times up" and went on to pick only recent characters for dlc.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
THIS GUY GETS IT!! Explained it better than I could!

So weird, right? If it happens, I'll eat dirty socks, but its so bizarre. Like, why the exclusivity from Indie Pogo and all the other competitive indies? Why so much silence before and now? How high is she on Sakurai's priority list? If she's being developed late, why now, and not before?

But lets assume that the NDA is keeping Wayforward silent even after game release. My biggest question is Why?? Why keep her for so long?

Thats all I wanted to hear. Its been bugging me all day. Thank you dude. Explained it better than I could.

As I type my response above, you put out an awesome answer. Lol.

If thats the case, NOW I can see why Wayforward is still silent. Makes perfect sense. And I genuinely hope this is the case.

I genuinely didn't know there WAS a waterfall, what with all the characters standing in the way.

Nice catch.
Alright... but what I said is much simpler than zferolie's theory. that is, that they'd planned to make her into a fighter and wanted to secure her spot even if they thought they'd only have time to finish her for dlc. simple right?

And yeah, there's a waterfall, and structures on the right of the island which arent in the leak.

Y'see that makes total sense. What doesn't however is Mr. Shove as much as I can into the base game Sakurai deciding to shelf ANYONE for dlc unless they were too new like Rex & Homura or Spring Man. It just doesn't seem to add up with his development style and if we look to past Smash games as a reference, any characters that didn't have enough dev time were just straight up cut from the game. If we got Chrom or a Rhythm Heaven rep as dlc for Smash 4 then it would be a pretty open and shut case but it seems like if Sakurai doesn't have time to finish a character then it's a "perhaps I'll get my chance another day" scenario. This is why I gun so hard for Shantae being in the base game, not only do I not wanna wait possibly half a year just to know if she's dlc or not, it's also entirely possible Sakurai just said "**** it, times up" and went on to pick only recent characters for dlc.
I think they were definitely working on mewtwo before the release, even if they were focused on the main stuff.
But even if not, securing a spot is important if they plany to make a character for dlc. (or if they have enough time and resources before it)

They made Roy for dlc before Chrom. And Chrom is an echo of roy. I think you have good points, but i dont think it matters too much. it depends what he wanted to do before moving on to the next project (*ie ultimate in this case)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

NOBODY IS HERE!

“ that’s right NOT a single fighter in ssb history is joining the battle!”

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I have a couple questions. What are the odds that the battlefield pic changed from E3, possibly to what we have in the leak? Maybe like a "This is the final roster, so the artwork looks different" kind of thing. That would explain the seemingly dimmer lighting. And if they didn't, would that outright deconfirm the leak? and also should I be putting this on the leak thread and not a couple of newcomer support threads?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys

Do you really think making a mii fighter of shantae is insulting enough to people?

Cause someone said it was

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have a couple questions. What are the odds that the battlefield pic changed from E3, possibly to what we have in the leak? Maybe like a "This is the final roster, so the artwork looks different" kind of thing. That would explain the seemingly dimmer lighting. And if they didn't, would that outright deconfirm the leak? and also should I be putting this on the leak thread and not a couple of newcomer support threads?
I want to let others answer this one too. But I think it would be odd, especially since there's 'less' in the leaked image. I dont know why they would remove things. cool things too.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Why would the updated art remove detail? The leak smears out the entire ruins in the back.

Last edited:
Alright... but what I said is much simpler than zferolie's theory. that is, that they'd planned to make her into a fighter and wanted to secure her spot even if they thought they'd only have time to finish her for dlc. simple right?

And yeah, there's a waterfall, and structures on the right of the island which arent in the leak.

I think they were definitely working on mewtwo before the release, even if they were focused on the main stuff.
But even if not, securing a spot is important if they plany to make a character for dlc. (or if they have enough time and resources before it)

They made Roy for dlc before Chrom. And Chrom is an echo of roy. I think you have good points, but i dont think it matters too much. it depends what he wanted to do before moving on to the next project (*ie ultimate in this case)
Hey man, that's what makes Sakurai's ride so wild, the man is unpredictable. We could both be wrong but we won't know until release day. Anyway for curiosity's sake I found all the scrapped Smash characters that have still yet to be playable

1) Toon Zelda/Toon Shiek

2) Plusle & Minun

3) Dixie Kong

4) Unknown Rhythm Heaven rep

All of these characters were at least partially developed before being cut, unlike characters like Geno, Heihachi, and Takamaru who were considered but scrapped before they ever made it to the development phase.

zferolie

Smash Hero
so when i look at that battlefield art above, it doesn't look like the rocks are on the stage for the actual on website banner so can we really use that one to judge the leak?

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Why would the updated art remove detail? The leak smears out the entire ruins in the back.
Hmm updated art with ruins gone. Characters dying in the Smash trailers. You know what this means?
THANOS FOR SMASH BABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAYMAY.jpg

Top Bottom