• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown V - August 29-31! Congrats to all winners! Comments and Shoutouts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gords

Smash Champion
The pricing sounds good, but in my experience vivid speeds are not 4G competitive, and even their website states that the speeds they offer are similar to ADSL.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Sales on flights going for $30 at tiger air, cant post link because I havent posted the 10 posts. you can find it on ozbargain front page.

SYD > Melbournefrom $30 1000 seats08 Jul 14 - 17 Sep 14

gold coast > Melbournefrom $30 250 seats08 Jul 14 - 17 Sep 14

BRIS > Melbournefrom $30 500 seats08 Jul 14 - 17 Sep 14

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
dont forget that jetstar will price match anyone including tiger air as long as the flights are close to the same time and still available

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
the cheapest viable usb 4g seems to be vodafone, but it is still $65 for 12gb per month. With data add on its $120 per month for 20 gig but one way or another the amount is quite high. I would be willing to get one but it would mean streaming only for melbourne as just as shaya said, it's tied to a single SIM. With all this in mind I don't know 4g is the best way to go for donor stretch goal.

Maybe one stretch goal could be a MLG/FC type RR between the top X of AUS, winner takes all with a buy in of say $10 or something?

Hosted on a seperate day to SS and recorded ect too.

I personally want to see dekar v syke bo5 but unless brackets go super well this may not happen...

Also yes vivid 4g would be an upload close to like 240p maybe 360p quality at best

Last edited:

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Having a top 5 of every state RR would be kewl, but no buy in cause it would only be like 100ish for 1st place lol. Or you could have another incentive - 150 gets u a room at the tourney for the night as well as other bonuses?

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
the cheapest viable usb 4g seems to be vodafone, but it is still $65 for 12gb per month. With data add on its $120 per month for 20 gig but one way or another the amount is quite high. I would be willing to get one but it would mean streaming only for melbourne as just as shaya said, it's tied to a single SIM. With all this in mind I don't know 4g is the best way to go for donor stretch goal.

Maybe one stretch goal could be a MLG/FC type RR between the top X of AUS, winner takes all with a buy in of say $10 or something?

Hosted on a seperate day to SS and recorded ect too.

I personally want to see dekar v syke bo5 but unless brackets go super well this may not happen...

Also yes vivid 4g would be an upload close to like 240p maybe 360p quality at best
According to a website that I cant link the best speeds for melbourne are;

Speed: It is worth noting that Australia are exceptionally advanced for 4G, with their average speeds ranking among the best in the world. In Melbourne, Vodafone 4G is exceptionally fast for download, putting them comfortably in first place for the headline metric of download speed. Telstra also perform well (although slower latencies impact on user experience) and Optus offer a very all-round performance.

Telstra: 21.3 Mbps (down), 6 Mbps (up), 95ms
Yes Optus: 12.3 Mbps (down), 11.2 Mbps (up), 65ms
Vodafone AU: 36.6 Mbps (down), 7.64 Mbps (up), 76ms

Coverage: Telstra mobile perform best for coverage, important as high speeds are only useful if users can actually access them! Optus are not far behind but there is a bit of a step down to Vodafone. So even though Vodafone have breathtaking download speeds, users of their network will have less opportunity to use them than Optus or Telstra.

According to google, the speed needed for 1080 (which would be waster for mellee and project m 720p is fine) Is 10mbs up so if you can find an optus 4g wifi card thing you could easily stream it.

Further edit, according to optus its $60 for month to month of 10gb and 10$ for 1gb when over the cap.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
According to a website that I cant link the best speeds for melbourne are;

Speed: It is worth noting that Australia are exceptionally advanced for 4G, with their average speeds ranking among the best in the world. In Melbourne, Vodafone 4G is exceptionally fast for download, putting them comfortably in first place for the headline metric of download speed. Telstra also perform well (although slower latencies impact on user experience) and Optus offer a very all-round performance.

Telstra: 21.3 Mbps (down), 6 Mbps (up), 95ms
Yes Optus: 12.3 Mbps (down), 11.2 Mbps (up), 65ms
Vodafone AU: 36.6 Mbps (down), 7.64 Mbps (up), 76ms

Coverage: Telstra mobile perform best for coverage, important as high speeds are only useful if users can actually access them! Optus are not far behind but there is a bit of a step down to Vodafone. So even though Vodafone have breathtaking download speeds, users of their network will have less opportunity to use them than Optus or Telstra.

According to google, the speed needed for 1080 (which would be waster for mellee and project m 720p is fine) Is 10mbs up so if you can find an optus 4g wifi card thing you could easily stream it.
We definately would be looking at 720p or possibly the next down (640 or something? idk), definately not 1080p

Optus pricing is at $60 for 10GB per month, again would do 1 tournament per month at best which is pretty bleak imo.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This is around the time we start querying those three ISPs for potential sponsorship. Or at the very least, an intermediate goal (after building up something that can be referenced). I don't mind rocking "YES OPTUS" in the sidebars/etc of streams, would you? lol.

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
This is around the time we start querying those three ISPs for potential sponsorship. Or at the very least, an intermediate goal (after building up something that can be referenced). I don't mind rocking "YES OPTUS" in the sidebars/etc of streams, would you? lol.
I wouldnt mind people screaming YES OPTUS, after every game if they sponsored :D

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
TPG has some big plans for rolling out new infrastructure in Melbourne in the next couple of months which will be much cheaper than the only current 4g alternatives. (Optus, Vodaphone and Telstra, all other 3rd party wireless services are garbage for what you pay)
Keep an eye on numbers now for sure, but the way this is looking to pan out, 4g will get much MUCH cheaper by the end of the year.
Wouldn't be surprised if IInet released some new plans shortly too.

e: Also worth keeping note when looking at plans, to stream 720p 60fps we'll need at LEAST 1200kbs up. 1800 would be preferred to give it a flawless no blocky look.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
TPG has some big plans for rolling out new infrastructure in Melbourne in the next couple of months which will be much cheaper than the only current 4g alternatives. (Optus, Vodaphone and Telstra, all other 3rd party wireless services are garbage for what you pay)
Keep an eye on numbers now for sure, but the way this is looking to pan out, 4g will get much MUCH cheaper by the end of the year.
Wouldn't be surprised if IInet released some new plans shortly too.

e: Also worth keeping note when looking at plans, to stream 720p 60fps we'll need at LEAST 1200kbs up. 1800 would be preferred to give it a flawless no blocky look.
I think everyone here knows that anything TPG has will be a joke

Dekar289

Smash Hero
no, shadowloo was at flemington racecourse last year
BAM (battle arena melbourne) has been at cq for years, it's a great venue in a great locaton.
i think most complaints online are directed at the cq nightclub

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Was Shadowloo at this venue last year? I was looking at possible accommodation and the venue has nothing but complaints for not only the club but the hotel and function centre.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CQ-Nightclub/134553293258780?sk=reviews

The whole place seems horrible lol
We've been with CQ for years with bam and ss, been at the hotel countless times and it's been pretty good apart from them not letting us rip them off any more (cant get 11 smashers into a room any more, they're a bit tighter on this now LOL)

Also yeah the complaints are almost guaranteed to be for the nightclub, its a pretty bad joint to go to for that stuff.

If you're really that keen to go somewhere to drink I know many better places.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
The nightclub isn't even that bad.
Anyway, the hotel itself is fine (even has CRTS in room for optimal smash experience), although parking is truly awful and they'll charge you for it even if you stay there (which blows). Otherwise it's all good.

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Oh great. Thanks for clearing my doubts, will prob look to stay at the venue then with the price discount for tournament entrants. ( + CRTs in rooms is not bad at all.)

Dekar289

Smash Hero
as an added bonus, according to sam the hotel CRTs were hand crafted by jesus christ for the sole purpose of playing melee, it feels that smooth

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I wonder how much the fee would be for a uhh... missing crt from a room. Id get one for sam just because he my boy.

S.D

Smash Master
as an added bonus, according to sam the hotel CRTs were hand crafted by jesus christ for the sole purpose of playing melee, it feels that smooth
QFT. I didn't even need to input anything, I just envisioned miracle combos and they were bestowed upon me. But realz it was probably the best melee I ever played.

I wonder how much the fee would be for a uhh... missing crt from a room. Id get one for sam just because he my boy.
I did wonder this myself, and was tempted to switcharoo with my DSE bad boi and see if anyone noticed.

Last edited:

Juci

Smash Apprentice
I'm so tempted to book a room just to test those suckers out, plus I wouldn't need to bring any tvs id just take the one from my room to the venue.

Blue2ez

Smash Cadet
I was wondering, does anyone going have a controller they're willing to sell?

Basty

Smash Ace
So seeing how this is my first tourney, who do I need to watch out for. Other then Redact, S.D, Dekar and Armada of course

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
So seeing how this is my first tourney, who do I need to watch out for. Other then Redact, S.D, Dekar and Armada of course
that's pretty much it, everyone else is REALLY bad.

s.d gets lucky and dekar only looks good because i let him win sometimes (he is my little brother after all)

oh yeah i didnt realise who here knew dekar was my little brother?

I grew up a lot more faster than him... i attribute that to leaving the folks when i was 15 lol

Dekar289

Smash Hero
I was wondering, does anyone going have a controller they're willing to sell?
try asking on the VIC FB group!

Harry Ponting, a lethal Zelda main known for IRL death and pending resurrection.
But mainly, as always for a first tournament, just play as many people as you can.(Also, get on the aforementioned FB group for some other tournaments/smash meets before shadowloo!)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Qld could use a decent capture device + mic for melee recordings at least, we have good enough net for streaming. Also a lot of players here have **** controllers and cant afford new ones so why not order a heap and give a free one to people who donated over $150 and sell the others for a discounted price or put them up as prizes for future tournies/lucky entry prize.

Splice

Smash Hero
Basty wtf in ur sig u have like 29123 mains like how is that a thing

are u sure they're ur mains or jjust like characters that you recognise if u were shown a picture of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom