• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SH Discussion

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
I've been playing melee competitively since 2005. I have most tech skills down pretty well. I can wave dash, dash dance, edgeguard well, everything. But for some reason I can't get my short hop back lol. Would you prefer claw? I can do it with almost every top tier, just isn't working with sheik

Last edited:
Sheik doesn't have a short short hop

Try flicking the bottom edge of the x button with your thumbnail

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Press and let go of the button as quickly as you possibly can. Falco has one of the easiest short hops while Sheik has one of the harder ones, so I would try to get it down with Falco first. Or your controller is broken, that could also be the case if you have only used 1 controller.

Last edited:

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer
What I did was choose fox and practice short hopping with him. Fox has to release the jump button within 2 frames to short hop. It's very strict but if you can short hop with fox, then you can short hop with anybody.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Yeah what I do is use the edge of my thumb /fingernail is, and just slide it super quick at the bottom edge of the X button. Only way I found that works for me.

SSS

Smash Ace
I've been playing melee competitively since 2005. I have most tech skills down pretty well. I can wave dash, dash dance, edgeguard well, everything. But for some reason I can't--and never have been able to--short hop. This is a crucial part of the competitive game, and while i've managed my way around it and developed a style that works for me, I need that short hop to take me to the next level.

Every time I try to short hop, it just does a full jump, no matter if i tap jump or use X or Y. I seriously don't get it. I've watched tutorial videos on it, etc, but unfortunately don't have too many friends in melee or a huge melee scene where i currently live.

Any tips? How do you all do it? SHFF is one of the only tech skills i can't and don't utilize simply because i can't short hop!

btw I am a Sheik main, but also use Falco, so you can imagine the limitations of not being able to short hop, especially with those two mains.
It is NOT dependent on how light you press it. Just in case you thought that, a lot of people do. A short hop occurs when you release the jump button before the jump squat animation is over. So basically, you short hop by releasing jump quickly. I kinda tap and slide off the bottom edge of X. You can actually see right under my X button where the paint is worn down from me sliding from X to the c-stick.

By the way, Falco is basically impossible without short hop lol

vynleren

Smash Cadet
I just press Y and release it quickly (as Fox) - I've heard sliding is a great way to do it as well. Just pick a method and practice it over and over and soon you won't even be thinking about short hops.

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
It is NOT dependent on how light you press it. Just in case you thought that, a lot of people do. A short hop occurs when you release the jump button before the jump squat animation is over. So basically, you short hop by releasing jump quickly. I kinda tap and slide off the bottom edge of X. You can actually see right under my X button where the paint is worn down from me sliding from X to the c-stick.

By the way, Falco is basically impossible without short hop lol

Yeah, that's why I stick primarily with Sheik. Thanks for the tips though, i'll definitely be practicing this!

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Sliding is bad IMO, I tried that for a while when I was learning tech skill but it's just too awkward to do every time during a match. Just tap the button, if you can't do it after a few days of practice then your hands might not be cut out for it (or just don't play Fox, I only ever found it hard with Fox but I learnt it).

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
Even with Sheik you need to short hop.

Your reason for not doing something in Melee should never be "because it's too hard".

Especially not short hopping.

i hear that. It has nothing to do with it being too difficult, i just have had trouble doing it!! I've gotten it down pretty well with falco, still working on mastering it with sheik.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom