• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Serperior Support Thread- why support Serperior? Not for being a grass starter...

pnkgoldcatpeach

Smash Cadet
Okay, a lot of people immediately shoo away Serperior because "he is a grass starter that is only wanted to complete OCD"

I agree, that is a stupid reason to want Serperior, and the incorrect one.

Really, think about what Serperior has to offer, that is what Sakurai thinks when choosing characters

Serperior has a unique body type, if he were playable he would be the only serpentine/limbless character in the game! that would make him stand out from the rest of the cast, and he would not be generic.

As a grass type, he could also incorporate moves that no other cast member has. He could cause paralysis (slowing down the opponent), poison the opponent, and even use moves that leech opponents, hurting them and healing himself!! That screams unique and awesome!!

Another thing Serperior could do *this is gimmicky*
Serperior has contrary
imagine that in smash
instead of less damage for stale moves, he gets stronger
but also for rage, he gets weaker
he runs into a metal box, it is like he has the bunny ears, and vice versa
special smash

so please, support Serperior, not for the grass starter reason, but because of all that he could offer to the smash cast and help add to the game

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Will Support.

Grass starters rule but I think she offers something extremely original to the roster.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Serperior is my fave Gen V starter but I think Sceptile is more fitting for Smash at the moment, I'd leave him for Smash 5 cause it will probably get released at the same time as the Unova remakes.

pnkgoldcatpeach

Smash Cadet
Serperior is my fave Gen V starter but I think Sceptile is more fitting for Smash at the moment, I'd leave him for Smash 5 cause it will probably get released at the same time as the Unova remakes.
ehh I don't think relevancy should matter too much...
Sheik in Melee, PKM trainer in brawl, Marth in Melee... ehhh dunno

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Serperior is Superior to Sceptile.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Plus Swampert man.....)

Last edited:

pnkgoldcatpeach

Smash Cadet
To start making Serperior a more viable candidate, we shall look and study its various moves and its body design.

Some websites to get us started.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/497.shtml

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Serperior_(Pokémon)
I was thinking of a few moves, it doesn't have to be perfect iit can be inspired from grass types.

Such as giga drain, but the longer you charge it the more damage it does and the more you heal yourself (say you hit a 20% you heal 10%, like the games)

or an inspired move could be like toxic spikes, it lays out a trap and when an opponent walks over it they get poisoned for like, 10 seconds or so

Or body slam could paralyze opponents, idk there is a lot to choose from

Braydon

Smash Ace
I don't think the body type is an advantage, I think it would be weird in smash, with him being long and short, plus he's really big, and would look really weird jumping.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd like to see what a serpentine fighter can do in Smash.

Holding onto the ledge with no limbs would be adorable, for starters~ :3

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see what a serpentine fighter can do in Smash.

Holding onto the ledge with no limbs would be adorable, for starters~ :3
If you look closely at Serperior's leaf at the sides, they are initially reduced to tiny hands, but since Serperior has a vine move, its arms can be used to grab ledges and possibly fighters.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If you look closely at Serperior's leaf at the sides, they are initially reduced to tiny hands, but since Serperior has a vine move, its arms can be used to grab ledges and possibly fighters.
I was hoping it'd grab hold of the ledge with its teeth.

So the Ivysaur tactic?

Braydon

Smash Ace
...Huh? Link, Toon Link and both Samuses all still have tether grabs.
No I mean tether up specials like ivysaur, ZSS, and, olimar had, the tether grabs are only one option for recovery so it's not so hard on new players, they just use the up special.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No I mean tether up specials like ivysaur, ZSS, and, olimar had, the tether grabs are only one option for recovery so it's not so hard on new players, they just use the up special.
Not sure if that would make a difference, though.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of recoveries that are a lot more difficult to use than a tether.

But that's beside the point.

The point is, Serperior totally needs to grab the ledge with its teeth.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Not sure if that would make a difference, though.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of recoveries that are a lot more difficult to use than a tether.
No tethers are harder to land than any SSB4 up special, come on name one harder than a tether.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No tethers are harder to land than any SSB4 up special, come on name one harder than a tether.
It's not an issue of "harder", it's an issue of how effective it is. In my experience, tethers are extremely reliable if you're at all close to the ledge - the fact that they snap on automatically offers a significant advantage over certain other recoveries.

Bowser's, DK's, Diddy's, Doc's, Mac's, Lucario's, Luigi's, Pac-Man's, Greninja's and Pikachu's are all either woefully ineffective in the grand scheme of things or require a certain level of dexterity to perform well. Jigglypuff and Yoshi don't even have recoveries, you just have to make use of their jumps and what tiny momentum their up-b affords them.

Braydon

Smash Ace
It's not an issue of "harder", it's an issue of how effective it is. In my experience, tethers are extremely reliable if you're at all close to the ledge - the fact that they snap on automatically offers a significant advantage over certain other recoveries.
No it is an issue if something is hard for newcomers to get used to that is taken into consideration, they want the game to be easily accessible to new players, hence no fricken tethers.

Plus the auto connecting thing could be a bit weird.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
It could work like a zair, with her normal grab also being a vine tether. For an up-B i was thinking Leaf Tornado, which lifts Serp up on a gust of wind imbued with leaves and thorns.

pnkgoldcatpeach

Smash Cadet
It could work like a zair, with her normal grab also being a vine tether. For an up-B i was thinking Leaf Tornado, which lifts Serp up on a gust of wind imbued with leaves and thorns.
I came up with a moveset for Serperior a while ago and was thinking the exact same thing, except I was picturing for leaf tornado basically being Charizard's recovery

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
Heck yeah I support. Serperior was always my first pick for a grass starter in Smash due to its unique design and because it'd give some much needed recognition to gen 5.

Top Bottom