• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seriously..why is Nintendo not making a "Melee Mode" DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RODO

Smash Ace
I'm not asking this question because I hate the core game but I'm asking it because I'm genuinely confused why such a simple undertaking has not been thought of. Let me break this down for you.

1. There are people out there who don't like how Smash 4 plays compared to Melee.
2. There is a tournament scene, Nintendo knows this now.
3. They could please the entire fanbase and make some money.

They could add more hitstun (I'm sure changing the hitstun multiplier isn't hard) add L-cancelling (again probably not hard) change the air dodge to a directional one and allow wavedashing (probably the hardest since it's a physics change) and change the ledge mechanic. Then sell it for like $20 and beat the inevitable mod that will come out but will in no way benefit Nintendo. Seems like common sense to me.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
First of all how are they make it work online with people who don't have the DLC, online matches are random and not everyone will have the DLC, why will they make DLC that make the game just like melee when the can make the core game like that? This is Smash 4 the wii U/ 3DS not Smash bros. Melee 2.0 I'm looking for a new game not a remake of a old one and the game just came out and now everyone is saying why Nintendo is not making this or that as DLC? It's only three months that the game came out, everyone need to calm the hell down.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Why would we want a $20 DLC pack that makes the game objectively worse? If you want to play Melee and only Melee, just play Melee. There's abolutely no need to taint a NEW installment with the long lost "advanced" techs of the previous installments, and it certainly isn't worth charging any amount of excess cash for. (God knows things were already bad enough with Project M...)

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You should check your common sense. Why would they release that when there is already a game called Melee?
No matter how you try to downplay the current game, there just wouldn't be enough demand for something like that.

Anyways, I know what kind of responses you are trying to fish for here so I think they should just close this thread.

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo wouldn't do that it would be cool but would be alot of work. Plus they honestly don't care about people who enjoyed melee as you can tell. I would love it.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
SSB4 doesn't need to play like Melee. It just needs refinements on its own. I do agree somethings in the combat could use some work, but I don't think "turn it into Melee" is ever the solution. (And I love Melee) SSB4 needs to feel its own thing to help the freshness. I'm not justifying the flaws of its combat, but it doesn't need to 100% play like Melee.

Also 20 dollars for a mode is just ridiculous.

Why would we want a $20 DLC pack that makes the game objectively worse? If you want to play Melee, just play Melee. (God knows things were already bad enough with Project M...)
I disagree with the OP but "objectively"? Really? Surely, we can behave a little better than that. Honestly, both the anti-Melee and anti-SSB4 agenda I've been seeing lately is really irritating. Can't both sides just get along for once? Geez.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I disagree with the OP but "objectively"? Really? Surely, we can behave a little better than that. Honestly, both the anti-Melee and anti-SSB4 agenda I've been seeing lately is really irritating. Can't both sides just get along for once? Geez.
Well, I myself love Melee and nostalgia ***** over the game all the time, and even I can agree that turning the game into Melee is by no means the way to go, as you stated in your post.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
"There are people out there who don't like how Smash 4 plays compared to Melee"

Oh well!

That's just too bad for them that they don't like it. In what world would Nintendo charge TWENTY DOLLARS EXTRA for a mode that only changes the physics? In addition, it would only target a small portion of the audience that plays Smash. There's no point.

The Smash Bros. franchise provides four different titles(five including PM) that play differently. If one really dislikes how one Smash game plays, then there are four other Smash games to choose from. It makes no sense for Nintendo to tailor Smash 4's engine into something that the engine of other Smash games already provide.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Nah it would case rifts and arguments between the userbase of children or manchildren who want to play Melee mode or regular mode.. if that doesn't happen already..
but most importantly Sakurai doesn't want a Melee mode.
We have two Melee like games and a semi Melee like one (Smash Flash 2), plus Smash Wii U looks pretty good so far, so we should be good

I personally would want a Brawl Minus mode where every character has otrageous movesets and physics.. or a SSF2 mode

Why would we want a $20 DLC pack that makes the game worse? If you want to play Melee and only Melee, just play Melee. There's abolutely no need to taint a NEW installment with the long lost "advanced" techs of the previous installments. (God knows things were already bad enough with Project M...)
Project M imitates Melee to a fault but frankly the new stamina modes are too good for me to care. Also you don't have to buy the dlc you know.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Well, I myself love Melee and nostalgia ***** over the game all the time, and even I can agree that turning the game into Melee is by no means the way to go, as you stated in your post.
I just don't like the whole "opinion = fact" attitude, we could be less petty about this. I prefer how Melee plays personally (not due to nostalgia) but despite that I'm completely okay with SSB4 being its own thing and having its own play style, just as long as it's still very fun and engaging (which it is to me).

Not saying the OP is in the right either

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I would much rather that Nintendo simply rereleases Melee with updated graphics and online features as a thing on the eShop, then keeps them as two seperate entities.

RODO

Smash Ace
You should check your common sense. Why would they release that when there is already a game called Melee?
No matter how you try to downplay the current game, there just wouldn't be enough demand for something like that.

Anyways, I know what kind of responses you are trying to fish for here so I think they should just close this thread.
Because they aren't making money off of melee.

Edit: Also, I never said anything was wrong with the core game and of course people come in here defending it for no reason :facepalm:. And $20 for a mode is ridiculous but hey people would probably buy it anyway.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I would much rather that Nintendo simply rereleases Melee with updated graphics and online features as a thing on the eShop, then keeps them as two seperate entities.
Sadly, I don't think light shielding would be possible since the adaptor reads the analog triggers as digital, so it wouldn't exactly be the same.

But yeah, a quick and dirty HD port alia KH1.5/2.5 shouldn't be that hard for them to do otherwise.

Edit: Also, I never said anything was wrong with the core game and of course people come in here defending it for no reason :facepalm:. And $20 for a mode is ridiculous but hey people would probably buy it anyway.
We've had this discussion before... A Melee mode would be far too divisive for the community, and no doubt the game wouldn't be balanced for it.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I can totally understand why somebody would want this. I LOVE the flashy, fast gameplay of Melee / PJM and would love it even more if it had the visuals of Smash Wii U. The only problem is the execution, as you mentioned before. It would somehow divide the fan base and managing online battles would become kind of difficult.

On the other hand, it would enlarge the fanbase because it covers the largest camps of Smash players. And there's a lot of cash, from a business point of view. But since this won't happen (unless there's a mod), I would prefer to get used to Sm4sh for now. Oh, and let me guess: This thread gets locked again, right? (I find it legit to talk about this topic, but yeah...)

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
You want to play a game like Melee? Go play Melee.
You see, this is where the "Melee fans only want Melee 2" stigma comes from and it's why Melee fans get a bad rap in certain circles. Just accept Smash 4 for what it is (Even if I personally think it's worse than Melee and Brawl in more than one way)

HylianDuelist

Smash Cadet
I would be completely for this if we were talking about Brawl, but this is Sm4sh. The gameplay has found a perfect balance between Casual and Competitive. Going to an extreme is not the right way to go. There's a reason I like Smash64 more than Melee and Brawl.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I love how people are against year 20 bucks for a mode is way too much but more options for people to enjoy Smash is never bad. No need to circle jerk smash 4 it isn't perfect neither is melee.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
I love how people are against year 20 bucks for a mode is way too much but more options for people to enjoy Smash is never bad. No need to circle jerk smash 4 it isn't perfect neither is melee.
Nobody is "circlejerking" Smash 4. Apparently people disagreeing means we all love Smash 4 and hail it as the perfect game? It's simple stuff, play Melee if you want a game like Melee. If I want to play a game like Brawl or Smash 64, I'll play those games. This game doesn't need a mode to make it play like some fighting game from over a decade ago.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

But they are making money off of Smash 4. A very good amount of money.

A Melee Mode is simply not necessary, especially if it costs $20.

I'm not saying Smash 4 is flawless and that I wouldn't like to see some improvements, but what you're suggesting is too much.

Nobody is "circlejerking" Smash 4. Apparently people disagreeing means we all love Smash 4 and hail it as the perfect game? It's simple stuff, play Melee if you want a game like Melee. If I want to play a game like Brawl or Smash 64, I'll play those games. This game doesn't need a mode to make it play like some fighting game from over a decade ago.
This is more or less my perspective on this topic.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Don't play Brawl! Brawl was bad.

Play Smash U, Melee, Project M, or 64

Brawl was a disgrace to the series

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I didnt know so many people were against optional dlc
Do not twist words like that. No one here has said they were against optional dlc. The people who disagree are against the optional dlc that you're suggesting.

This thread is going nowhere quickly.

RODO

Smash Ace
Optional DLC that'd divide the fanbase further and basically spit on what SSB4 was supposed to be.

*sigh* The conversation is going the exact same way as last time...
So one game being the focus would split it more than 2? Makes no sense to me. And Im trying to look at this from a financial gain standpoint quit trying to turn this into melee vs smash 4.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So one game being the focus would split it more than 2? Makes no sense to me. And Im trying to look at this from a financial gain standpoint quit trying to turn this into melee vs smash 4.
Oh, yes, because Nintendo has always been about making money, they've never been concerned with producing quality content that they feel the fanbase in general can enjoy.
Don't be ridiculous, we aren't talking about Activision/EA here. If Nintendo only wanted to make money, they would take the on-disc DLC approach and deliberately piss off the entire fanbase in the name of cold, hard cash.

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
Do not twist words like that. No one here has said they were against optional dlc. The people who disagree are against the optional dlc that you're suggesting.

This thread is going nowhere quickly.
The reason people are against it are for reasons that have nothing to do with this thread. I'm simply asking why are they not taking advantage of something so simple but all anyone an do is talk about community splits and how smash 4 doesnt need to be fixed. It might be going nowhere but its not due to me.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The focus of the one game would be split.

And of course, Sakurai hates DLC to the point where the only official source to call Mewtwo DLC is unreliable NoE.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
The reason people are against it are for reasons that have nothing to do with this thread. I'm simply asking why are they not taking advantage of something so simple but all anyone an do is talk about community splits and how smash 4 doesnt need to be fixed. It might be going nowhere but its not due to me.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about community splits. The point I'm trying to make is that this mode would hardly be beneficial to Nintendo because a majority of people aren't going to cough up $20 for a game that they are already enjoying to be changed.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not asking this question because I hate the core game but I'm asking it because I'm genuinely confused why such a simple undertaking has not been thought of. Let me break this down for you.

1. There are people out there who don't like how Smash 4 plays compared to Melee.
2. There is a tournament scene, Nintendo knows this now.
3. They could please the entire fanbase and make some money.

They could add more hitstun (I'm sure changing the hitstun multiplier isn't hard) add L-cancelling (again probably not hard) change the air dodge to a directional one and allow wavedashing (probably the hardest since it's a physics change) and change the ledge mechanic. Then sell it for like $20 and beat the inevitable mod that will come out but will in no way benefit Nintendo. Seems like common sense to me.
Because it's not Melee. Get over it and play the game.

RODO

Smash Ace
Frankly, I couldn't care less about community splits. The point I'm trying to make is that this mode would hardly be beneficial to Nintendo because a majority of people aren't going to cough up $20 for a game that they are already enjoying to be changed.
The price could be different I just used it as an example.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Melee doesn't have little mac or Shulk People like the gameplay of it a optional DLC pack would be fine with me.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The reason I wouldn't want a Melee Mode is because it would put a schism into an already solid Smash game that provides its own experience in gameplay and physics. Just let Melee and SSB4 live and let be. Go to the ones you want to play.

SSB4 is already fiscally and competitively successful. Don't fix what ain't broke here. If Nintendo needed more money out of SSB4, I'll gladly take characters, extra modes, stage packs, etc.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Even if Nintendo did make it Melee purists would still find something wrong with it and opt to just play Melee. For now Smash 4 is fine as it is.

Quen

Smash Rookie
That's easy. Because the competitive melee scene is waaaay too small to justify any development efforts. The money is in the mass casual market aka people who don't visit smash forums at all.

If they sell a melee DLC for 20$ they would get a ****storm of emails from people who
a) don't know what melee is and b) feel ripped off for buying an "useless" mode

That's just a no-brainer for Nintendo.

shapular

Smash Ace
I guarantee you wouldn't like a Melee Mode as much as you think you would. Samus still wouldn't have missile cancels or super duper wavedashes. A lot of people say Melee wouldn't be that good without spacies (I disagree but that's just me), and Melee Mode spacies would be nothing like Melee spacies. You'd probably get some characters that straight up don't work correctly in Melee Mode and a lot more that become unviable, so people who main those characters wouldn't want to buy it. Characters in this game just weren't designed to be played in a Melee Mode, and it would probably end up being awkward and not very interesting.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Oh, but you are absolutely circlejerking it. Even if Melee Mode isn't something likely to happen, saying we should just play either is a false dichotomy. We can have both.

I think it's stupid that people want less in a game than what's set as precedent - Melee had more than just wavedashing. It had wall tethers, light shielding, dash dancing, crouch cancelling - all as not-so-advanced techs but the Brawl/Sm4sh diehards still don't seem to want them. And momentum loss and air-to-ground projectile lag makes the game less fun and people still have their lips wrapped firmly around the newer engines!

and b) feel ripped off for buying an "useless" mode
Ripped off? But no one is obligated to buy it.

-

It's actually ******** that more people are okay with paying out the ass for Amiibo toys for the game mode than they are with paying for more actual gameplay options. I don't see how anyone reflecting on that wouldn't feel dumb.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
*grabs shield and wears heavy armor*

Melee is way too overrated.

*DIES*

Also,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom