• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Series that you hope SSB4 will revive

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Rosalina isn't minor or being shoehorned in. She's becoming a major character now and she never was shoehorned in to begin with.
Being a background character in one non-sports game and a secret fanservice character in one other really doesn't qualify as "major". She ranks between Waluigi and the Blue/Yellow Toad right now.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Duck Hunt as a 3D platformer-shooter
F-Zero as...F-Zero
Mother as just anything pleeeease~? <3
R.O.B. as a futuristic sci-fi action-adventure

I can dream.

And dream I will.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Don't really know if this counts, since it's an existing series popular in Japan, but I'd like to see Smash make Monster Hunter more popular in the West. The game is fantastic and PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I like the idea some are throwing around of Rosalina getting her own series. I personally don't see it happening this gen because Captain Toad is getting his game sooner. Fantastic idea though.

My picks would have to be:
Custom Robo- It's a series that's been long forgotten recently and a revival of the concept with different gameplay would serve it justice.
Golden Sun- Much needed continuation of Dark Dawn, probably on handheld first since it hasn't been relevant in a while.
F-Zero- Do I even have to give a reason?

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
:4ness:mother, but the creator said it was done. a 3d mother remake would be AMAZING

the mysterious murasame castle, please make this happen.................

:popo:ice climbers, of course.
:4duckhunt:duck hunt could use a revive, make a banjo threeie that isnt banjoo threeie with the dog and duck but with focus on cartoony gunplay
:4sonic:sega please look at sonic generations, this sonic boom **** isnt sonic
:4megaman:ABSOLUTELY! bless mighty no 9.!
:4fox:i heard you're getting a new game, thats really good
:4samus:yeah, self-expanitory
:4mii:its a recent release but i really want another tomodachi life game
:rosalina:bump up her importance to the mario franchise even more, a series staple. OR give her spinoff games

Last edited:

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
EDIT:ed some Terrible grammar.

So, just here to drop my 2 cents.

F-Zero: Falcon Legacy
:4falcon:
I'm surprised Nintendo has not taken the obvious approach of giving the poor guy his own High-Octane Action game. Take the fact that the character is mostly known as that sentai-esque inspired action hero from Smash and incorporate that with his high-speed racing origins to make a testosterone infused game.

The hard part would be coming up with a gameplay element that would be unique enough to separate it from the rest of action games on the market.

It should also be made by Next-Level Games.

Mother HD Collection + Spiritual Successor?
:4ness:
I'm one of the people who thinks mother series is good as is, but some remakes could be good for the people who are interested in the games but can't play them for one reason or another (or is outdated like Mother 1).

Though, I would be interested in playing another RPG that's similar to the quirky, bizarre and urban world that the series has introduced. I actually rank it over things like Golden Sun because it tried to be something other than the usual magical, pseudo medieval fantasy, games that RPGs are known for.

Puzzle League (Panel de Pon): Block Panic.
I love Puzzle League, and would love to see a revival/reboot featuring the fairies, but they should be made to be a bit more appealing for a modern and western audience, a Disgaea like Story Mode (meaning cute and humorous cutscenes using text and character illustrations), and a system that closer to the Pokemon Puzzle League rather than the last DSi title.

Just one problem though that makes this a bit hard to accomplish.

There's a missing Lip...with that Lip's Stick.

For a franchise that likes to introduce people to Nintendo's vast IP library through it's trophy vault, I'm surprised Sakurai and team have yet to introduce the character whose item has been used since Melee. Even if it's just a trophy, that would be a good head start to properly reintroduce the franchise to the world.

I actually don't see Nintendo doing a revival for this, Since they value Dr. Mario (and possibly Pushmo) as their main Puzzle games.

Ice Climbers: Scaling the World.
:popo:
I...actually can't see a way to make much games with the Ice Climbers outside of a retro reboot ala Punch Out!! Wii.

Best way to handle a project with them is to make the original premise of the game to "reach the top of the mountain" and give them some other tools/power ups that'll help them get to the top along the way. They could probably add in a Co-Op mode where the two climbers are strapped together via the rope seen in their Up B.

It'll probably be an e-shop game at the most. And it'll have to incorporate some very interesting elements to the gameplay...and not have the first game's physics.

I have a few more but I'll take a break for now.

Last edited:

Spirst

Wario land. I love wario ware, but I like platformers a lot more.
Same here. Seeing as how Wario's shoulder barge (taken right from Wario Land) has been replaced with a punch though, I wouldn't get my hopes up. But just imagine a fully fledged Wario Land/Wario World experience for the 3DS/Wii U with the eccentric world design and Wario ramming everything.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
If Nintendo was to publish another Kid Icarus game, I could definitely dig it. KI:U was pretty popular and a Wii U KI would be incredible. And considering how Dog and Duck are basically Banjo and Kazooie maybe we could get a Banjo spiritual successor? that's probably too far out there though so I won't get my hopes up.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Being a background character in one non-sports game and a secret fanservice character in one other really doesn't qualify as "major". She ranks between Waluigi and the Blue/Yellow Toad right now.
If she ranked between Blue/Yellow Toad in Waluigi she wouldn't be getting into Smash over them... for whatever reason she is wildly popular among fans, and Nintendo loves her too. I could definitely see her taking more roles in Mario games or even getting her own game (eShop title on the 3DS or something though) she's more popular than Daisy it seems. She's kinda wiggled her way into Mario's main crew XD

Senario

Smash Ace
I'm just going to take my hope for banjo kazooie esque collect a thon platformer featuring ice climbers and toss it in the trash. Climbers arent in smash 4

Reader

Smash Apprentice
Mother - Remastered edition
New Ice-climbers 3d-game
Sheik appearing in the legend of Zelda games as the companion/partner for Link
Politically (in)correct Duck hunt game
New F-Zero game

Just some ideas...

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
If Nintendo was to publish another Kid Icarus game, I could definitely dig it. KI:U was pretty popular and a Wii U KI would be incredible. And considering how Dog and Duck are basically Banjo and Kazooie maybe we could get a Banjo spiritual successor? that's probably too far out there though so I won't get my hopes up.
If Duck Hunt Dog got its own game like Banjo, I would squeal with happiness :D

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Mother/Earthbound, hopefully the Magicant stage will help create more demand (who am I kidding...).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
She was basically the main character of Galaxy (the "Mario saves Peach" plot was completely overshadowed by Rosalina's side of everything in that game), had some relevance in Galaxy 2 (was essentially the narrator, and used her Cosmic Spirit power to help you if you wanted), and has been playable (and usually objectively one of the best stats wise, meaning a lot of people use her - MK8 being a prime example right now, in which she is undoubtedly the most used character online) in many of the biggest Mario games at this point, be it Mario Kart, 3D World, or Mario Golf (in which you had to pay extra to get her at all). She's also got this tendency to be this coveted, difficult unlockable in games, as if playing as her (or indeed, having her chill out on your ship in Galaxy 2) is supposed to be some kind of honour. The 3D World dev team have also been quoted as saying she is "well known".

Also she's basically Nintendo EAD's mascot - Mario and most characters in the main series are created by Miyamoto, Rosalina wasn't, she was created by Nintendo EAD, specifically by Yoshiaki Koizumi if I'm not mistaken (who I know wrote the story book). A lot of people will say that Miyamoto created her, but in the Iwata Asks interview for 3D World, he does admit to directly opposing her creation, with the reasoning being that "we already have a female main character in Peach, we don't need any others". So yeah, EAD's mascot.

If this isn't enough to be considered "major", I really don't know what is. She's a more modern major character. If Greninja is major enough for Smash, Rosalina definitely is.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
The real question regarding a Rosalina solo game: What would it be about and what would the gameplay be like? It seems like the general consensus regarding Rosalina is she's pretty well loved and one of the best new Mario characters. That being said, it took Peach 4 console generations after her initial debut to get her own game, and she's the first lady of Nintendo. Fingers crossed Nintendo gets a bit looser with their IP and takes risks on outside the box games and series with existing characters every once in a while.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The real question regarding a Rosalina solo game: What would it be about and what would the gameplay be like? It seems like the general consensus regarding Rosalina is she's pretty well loved and one of the best new Mario characters. That being said, it took Peach 4 console generations after her initial debut to get her own game, and she's the first lady of Nintendo. Fingers crossed Nintendo gets a bit looser with their IP and takes risks on outside the box games and series with existing characters every once in a while.
Well ideally, I want Rosalina to get the Wario/Yoshi treatment and get her own isolated series altogether. Especially like with Wario. Seriously, some Wario games are so far removed from Mario that I forget he originated in Mario sometimes (Wario: Master of Disguise comes to mind). Which is why I really like Wario a lot - in Mario, he's generally the greedy, nasty, yet goofy and loveable anti-Mario, but his own games take that concept and go wild with it.

I basically want to see the same thing with Rosalina fundamentally, but with much more emphasis on story and character development, since that is probably the most appealing thing about Rosalina as it stands. As far as the genre for the gameplay goes, I could actually see something Kingdom Hearts or Lightning Returns-esque working for her, but still keeping space aesthetic from Galaxy in some places, with actual planets to run around.

I'm just spitballing at this point though.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Golden Sun is an obvious choice, although I wouldn't say the series was dead. (Dark Dawn came out 7 years after The Lost Age and had a cliffhanger ending) It just needs a kick up the behind.

Ice Climbers could have a Terraria/Steamworld Dig style reboot. Except with the focus on climbing up and exploring a mountain rather than digging underground. I really like them in Smash Bros but I can't say I had any fun with their original game. They deserve a chance to really shine.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
After the ridiculous amount of stuff referencing MOTHER 1 and 2, I hope it encourages more people to get into the MOTHER series, like Brawl did for me. I actually hope even more so that fans of EarthBound and MOTHER 3 will finally give the first game a fair shake. It's personally got my favorite story and soundtrack in the series; yes, the early Dragon Quest-esque gameplay is super dated, but it's a product of its time, and to be frank, it's not like EarthBound's battle system is leagues better anyway.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
F-Zero. I need another F-Zero. The last one was literally over a decade ago. It's the best racing series ever made imo. But with Mario Kart cribbing off of it now, it's looking deader than my dreams for a new one.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
F-Zero. The game focuses on racing and bounty hunting. :4falcon: is supposed to be a bounty hunter so it would make sense.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
It seems like developers think the collect-a-thon gameplay/genre is dead... but one with DHD or Ice Climbers would be amazing. for Ice Climbers I envision something similar to Banjo Kazooie with a multitude of different mountains each with a different aesthetic, and maybe even a two player mode where Popo and Nana split up and are controlled by two different people (maybe even w/ online?) and maybe different upgrades for hammers or climbing gear. Since DHD and Duck essentially are Banjo and Kazooie, essentially the same thing goes for them.

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
I dunno, just because DuckHunt has a Banjo Kazooie "fighting style" in the new smash I don't think it automatically means that they'll be a good replacement for the bear and...whatever type of bird Kazooie is.

Here's some more Ideas for revivals:

:4wario2:Super Wario World
I know I'm not the only one here who wants to see another round of a 3D Wario title. While I did love World , I would love to see developers focuse more on the platforming elements and Wario's over-the-top and cartoony actions to solve puzzles, more so than being a beat-em-up (though some elements of that would still work in his favor).

Can you imagine how good it would feel to grab and throw and enemy in 3D? Possibly bowling some for some puzzle solving or when there are a big mob of enemies coming at you and you just bowl them over with one of their own? That'd be great.

:4megaman:3D Mega Man
I can't be the only one who really wants to see a legitimate 3D Jump-and-Shoot-Man game. I consider Legends it's own thing, and Mighty No.9 is basically taking the tried and true 2D route with some small tweaks, but I still would love to see a dev team actually take the bulls by the horn and make a proper 3D title with the blue bomber.

But there's also the fact that unless Capcom is either willing to give the rights to Mega to Nintendo, or that they join forces to make such a project possible, and the Mega Man fanbase stops drooling over more 8-bit Mega Man games, this wish will just stay as pipe dream. :\

That's about it for me. I don't see any other recurring Smash characters who I feel should have a revival or are in need of one. And the one I do have is a bit too obscure to post here.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
EDIT:ed some Terrible grammar.

So, just here to drop my 2 cents.

F-Zero: Falcon Legacy
:4falcon:
I'm surprised Nintendo has not taken the obvious approach of giving the poor guy his own High-Octane Action game. Take the fact that the character is mostly known as that sentai-esque inspired action hero from Smash and incorporate that with his high-speed racing origins to make a testosterone infused game.

The hard part would be coming up with a gameplay element that would be unique enough to separate it from the rest of action games on the market.

It should also be made by Next-Level Games.
I'm now imagining the Arkham series with F-Zero's characters and settings.

If this happens, I swear to God that I will come to your house and personally thank you for somehow making this happen.

Puzzle League (Panel de Pon): Block Panic.
I love Puzzle League, and would love to see a revival/reboot featuring the fairies, but they should be made to be a bit more appealing for a modern and western audience, a Disgaea like Story Mode (meaning cute and humorous cutscenes using text and character illustrations), and a system that closer to the Pokemon Puzzle League rather than the last DSi title.

Just one problem though that makes this a bit hard to accomplish.

There's a missing Lip...with that Lip's Stick.

For a franchise that likes to introduce people to Nintendo's vast IP library through it's trophy vault, I'm surprised Sakurai and team have yet to introduce the character whose item has been used since Melee. Even if it's just a trophy, that would be a good head start to properly reintroduce the franchise to the world.

I actually don't see Nintendo doing a revival for this, Since they value Dr. Mario (and possibly Pushmo) as their main Puzzle games.
And this. I love your ideas, bro~! <3

Last edited:

waichingliu81

Smash Cadet
Where does Advance Wars fall into this? The franchise isn't exactly retro, but it's been dead for a while...I consider this a Wii-early Wii U era Star Fox situation.
advance wars would be great. i want it to look and feel similar to the Valkyria Chronicles games. both are turn based RPGs and are set in the war setting. in fact an advance wars/Valkyria chronicles crossover game would be interesting.

Last edited:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
advance wars would be great. i want it to look and feel similar to the Valkyria Chronicles games. both are turn based RPGs and are set in the war setting. in fact an advance wars/Valkyria chronicles crossover game would be interesting.
Perhaps the world of Days of Ruin would work with Valkyria Chronicles, but I prefer the aesthetics and world of the first three Advance Wars games.

waichingliu81

Smash Cadet
Perhaps the world of Days of Ruin would work with Valkyria Chronicles, but I prefer the aesthetics and world of the first three Advance Wars games.
that was exactly i was thinking given the look of the characters in days of ruin. though i could still see andy, sami and max fit into the valkyria chronicles setting or vice versa. i would too keep the designs of those characters instead of giving them the days of ruin type makeover.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'd say Metroid, but that's already confirmed to be a thing so MACH RIDER

Top Bottom