• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SephirothKen @ APEX 2013: FUND?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
Ken 2013

Okay! so I finally have some time to make a post! (not one of those quick phone posts!) >=P

Okay first and foremost just going to give TCB another shout out for being awesome and taking the time to do all this for me. Like TBC said This is just a thread to see how many people are interested. Nothing is certain and No Collections have been started

I really really have been out of the smash scene for quite a while, let's just say 5 years. To be honest, I really never said my goodbyes or anything to the community, I kind of just left...

Out of the blue, someone named Samox sent me a message and asked me to help him do a smash documentary. At first I pretty much ignored him but he grew and grew on me. I'm a big sucker for someone trying to create Art. After months and months of planning (did I say months?) we were finally able to find an opening where both of us (mostly me) were able to actually sit down, get a weekend off and do it. This was literally the first time I touched melee in five years. I would be lying if I said I have not touched a gamecube controller since I played brawl at evo 2008. We did not play for much, maybe 20 minutes? After the weekend with everything said and done, let's just say I got hit with a little melee pikachu Spark.( Insert EXA here)

Months later, I was on late cruising youtube for some Starcraft 2 videos. well what the hell do you know, a melee video pops up on the corner of my youtube account. wait for it.... WOMBO COMBO!! so I click on it and I see some crazy team combo from SS/Tang performed on poor Zhu. Of course this triggered me to click on more of "TheWafflez77" videos and not only did it inspire me but I had a great time listening to his commentary. I was entertained listening to him than actually watching the actual smash.I would just listen to his commentary and do other stuff.

I make a post on facebook, wanting to commentate some smash but I wasn't completely serious. I get a ton of feedback from some of the smashers on my facebook. Even GRIMR(vgbootcamp) told me if I was serious then I should go to KOC to commentate. KOC ? Didn't know about this tournament. I thought to myself, "hmmm its been a while since I've seen the community and I commentating sounds a lot like fun!" Luckily I happened to have that weekend off so I said **** it, lets go! (last minute **** from me again -_-"

Julian (sweetxignorance) was kind enough to give me a ride since my car was being fixed and I heard Dr PEEPEE was going and needed a partner so I teamed with him. A night before I played about an hour or 2 of smash with Julian. Felt really weird, Kind of like eating noodles with a spoon.

Next day went to KOC, (really badass tournament). Once GRIMR gave me the headset and told me to start commentating, I was really nervous. After 4 hours of sleep the day before, when the first doubles match started, Nealdt and I looked at each other and were pretty much clueless lol. However, later on it, I guess you pretty much adapt. What I can say about commentating is it sure takes a toll on you. It's not as easy as it looks! It was my first time commentating so If I ever commentate I can say I would do 100x's better. I advise anyone who is commentating to actually not compete in a tournament, **** makes you really tired! Moreover I competed at KOC just for the fans who wanted to see me play. I barely made it out of pools and went 2 and out in the bracket. I didn't really care, I was just having a fun time or tried. I knew I was 5 year rusty, but the funny thing was I could some what compete. Just going to insert all my johns here on why I lost. John John John appleseed and some more John ice cream and John this and that. Koc was a real fun tournament even though I got sick the day after.... It hit another melee Pikachu spark. (insert EXA here)

To keep things short here is what it comes down too. This is whats holding me back from being a great melee player.

1)Time
2)Practice
3)love of the game
4)Goku

1)Time is the biggest factor for me. I simply don't have time for much anymore, and the time I have I try to spend it wisely. However, during Christmas Break I'll have a whole 2 weeks off! so let's just say Time+ ?????+ Melee = Profit

2) Practice. Yeah I'd definitely need some practice. Apparently Socal has thee best melee community ATM so I just need to know all these socal people. Socal has a lot of Rust to polish off this old old sword to get it sharp again. 5 years worth lol I have to admit I am a Genius but I'm also lazy as **** sometimes. (I'm the shikamaru of melee *insert naruto reference here*)

3) yeah well, pretty much ****ed with this one. Although lovage said I secretly love smash... sooo we'll see

4) Samox said it best that If i were a cartoon character I'd be Goku because I play well on a full stomach. Also if i keep on getting my *** beat I would get better and better. I hope to keep losing :)

Finally, After all things said and done I cannot guarantee you that I'll be the best melee player ever. Can't even guarantee you that I will make it out of pools or not go two and out if I make it into the brackets. But all I can say is I am going to try my best and try to win.

What I can guarantee you guys who help donate and support me is.

Friendlies! Who here has ever played S.ken? Yeah kick his butt at melee and brag to all your friends! I'll play a lot of friendlies with people! I'm not gonna sit there and play smash all day, If i need a break I'm going to go take a break! I'm no Smash Wh0re!!!

Pictures/Meet and Greet! Yeah Let's take pictures and do funny poses! that'll be fun! Hello? who are you? Nice to meet you I've never met you before or have I??

Autographs! yeah I'll sign your controller, your pieces of paper and even your boobs! More Hype for the community and more people looking to know what melee is!

Interviews and help with the Smash Bros Project!

Samox asked me if I was ever going to another melee tournament ever and I said no. Guess he knows me better than I do or... he's a Jinx!!

Alex strife has been telling me about Apex for a while now so why not try and go?

This seems like a lot of work, and it all seems like a Rocky film... This sounds like it's going to be so troublesome. Anyways here's that Post I was supposed to make... sorry it took so long, I ran late... and Smashboards decided to delete all of what I typed and I had to redo it since I wasn't logged in. Thanks again Smashboards

Haters gonna hate I <3 you too..

will I really go to Apex? "I dunno man... It can go either way..." Ken-2012 but you guys could possibly make it happen!

I forgot to add if I do go I'll try to be streaming my smash matches in socal so people know I'm not screwing around >=P and if not I'll probably working and/or sleeping ZzzzzzzZzzzZzzzzzzzz

Dnyce

Smash Master
Ken, you inspired me to try and play smash competitively. By the time I had watched your videos on youtube, I felt it was too late for me to try melee so I waited for brawl to come out and focus on that (whoops :p ). Man has it been fun times though. I watched you play survivor, and literally turned off the show as soon as you got voted off, haha. To the point: would I help you travel to APEX? Hell yeah I would, especially when you say I can play you in some friendlies. Sounds mad hype. I've been playing Project Melee for about a month, kinda getting used to melee paced smash... but I will flat out practice melee all the way up to apex just to put up a fight vs you (if you can make it out there) ;o

*subscribed*

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
When would be the deadline for the fund? I'm down to donate 50$ in a week or 2

Ether

Smash Ace
Oh my gawd yes I want pictures and matches with Ken. I'll probably drop $50 on this. I don't know if I can afford $50 but i'll drop it anyway.

**** mannnnnn this is really happening

:phone:

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

"But all I can say is I am going to try my best and try to win."

I love this line.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Legit post.

TCB/Calvo/Ether I'm not locking you into any donation amounts but assuming you're gonna put your amounts in:

TCB - 100$
Calvo - 50$
Ether - 50$

Let's get declared donations up to 250$ (at least), AKA 50$ more.

That way if TCB only donates 50$ we're more than 50% of the way to the amount (Ken should cover his own entry, after all ;o). I'll be checking the thread now and again to update the declared donations.

I am not locking anyone into donations. All I am doing is compiling the amount of expected monetary contribution so that way we can show Ken exactly how feasible his attendance is based on the contributions of others so that we can put the ball in his court.

As for donation bonuses, we'll see. I think Ken should be free to do what he wants with his time but I see the reasoning behind it, so if donations are "lagging" then we can put 'em in as an incentive to donate more.

P-99

Smash Cadet
It's really only about Ken confirming his attendance at Apex 2013.

This would be the fastest and easiest donation in melee history, hands down.

NNID
dansalvato
he shouldn't have to pay for a hotel as IE said he'd give him free housing
This is true, I will offer free housing, so consider that a "donation" of like $50-$100 or however much comfortable housing for a few days would cost Ken.

Besides, I'm housing players from around the world (Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Japan and more) so I think this would be a fun opportunity for him as well. Not sure if he plans on teaming with Dr. Peepee again, but that would also make this a good housing arrangement for him as I'm housing Dr. Peepee.

stelzig

Smash Lord
This is true, I will offer free housing, so consider that a "donation" of like $50-$100 or however much comfortable housing for a few days would cost Ken.

Besides, I'm housing players from around the world (Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Japan and more) so I think this would be a fun opportunity for him as well. Not sure if he plans on teaming with Dr. Peepee again, but that would also make this a good housing arrangement for him as I'm housing Dr. Peepee.
Wait, who from Denmark is going? King funk?

Would be cool to see ken at apex, don't think i'll donate though.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Wow, that was fast.

As usual, the Midwest comes through.

TCB - 100$
Calvo - 50$
Ether - 50$
Trail - 50$
Juggleguy - 20$

Total declared amount: $270/$300

Since we're now just waiting, let's see some more declared donations to reach the 300$ so that way Ken's word is the only thing we're missing ;p. If we reach $400 I will just stop counting because at that point even if two of our 50 donations (Ether/Calvo/Trail) do not end up donating we will be at the donation goal.

Ball's in your court, Ken. The sooner you confirm the more hype this event gets and the less last minute rush everybody has to do when it comes to planning a donation.

NNID
dansalvato
Wait, who from Denmark is going? King funk?

Would be cool to see ken at apex, don't think i'll donate though.
Actually, this year it looks like I don't have anyone from Denmark confirmed yet, but once Sweden gets in touch with me about housing, I might house King Funk with them like I did last year.

Landry

Smash Ace
Ken, you're the best. If you truly put some time into this I'm going to be so ****ing hyped.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Ken make that paypal account so we can get this started :p

Also I know of a way you can make $100 or $150 at the tournament regarding advertising. I will get back to you about that. Just gotta check with the company.

Revven

FrankerZ

Yo, this sounds so legit, Ken should jump on it. ;)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Thanks for the post, Ken. I'm even more excited about the possibility of this happening now.

Chi, put me down for $20.

itsme242

Smash Rookie
I would chip in something.

Im kind of new to the smash world but there's one thing that everyone has told me "Ken is legen ... (wait for it) dary" Ken your like Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, or Joe Montana. You were the greatest to ever play the game. Ya who knows if you would hold up against Crosby or Lebron but it be fricken sweet to see you play. If for no other reason then to inspire the players of tomorrow .

V-K

Smash Ace
Ken, you simply have to train your techskill and get back those mindgames and I'm sure you will do well.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
ill cover whatever is not covered to get ken to apex

ken may not remember some ****ty falco from australia back in 2007 when he came here, but i remember him

you know how good it is to live in another country then hear the best player at your favourite game is suddenly coming over for one of your first tournaments ever?

pretty sure that it's one of the main reasons i still play

i wonder if he still remembers much of his australia trip...

C.SDK

Smash Ace
ill cover whatever is not covered to get ken to apex

ken may not remember some ****ty falco from australia back in 2007 when he came here, but i remember him

you know how good it is to live in another country then hear the best player at your favourite game is suddenly coming over for one of your first tournaments ever?

pretty sure that it's one of the main reasons i still play

i wonder if he still remembers much of his australia trip...
The man of the hour. Just like I predicted. Thanks a lot, dude!

Ken, no johns, you can go now!

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
redact confirmed for potentially one of the best members of the community ;w;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom