• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 6, 2014] Smash Cup: Melee (Milford, Connecticut)

The Miyamoto Cup

Smash Rookie
Registration: 10:00am (for Doubles; players wanting to play Singles can register early), 2:30pm (for Singles only)
Tournament Fee: $5 Venue fee, Singles entrance fee: $10, Doubles entrance fee: $5 (per player/teammate). Pot split 60/30/10.
Tournament Start Time: 11:30am (Doubles), 3:30pm (Singles)

Details: All Miyamoto Cup members are automatically entered (1 entry) in the raffle during the tournament, and receive a complimentary bottled water. Additional raffle tickets can be purchased for $3 each (maximum 5 tickets per person). Raffles are only open to tournament players and their guests. Venue fees will be waived for players who bring in a set-up (TV/monitor, system & game). Please be aware that we can not accommodate every person who brings in a set-up. We can accept 12 additional set-ups, but in order to be fair waivers are first come first serve for those who wish to bring them. For those who travel by train, the Metro North train station is 3 minutes away from us (1.4 miles). If walking is too far for some to the event arrangements can be made for one of our league officials to taxi people the short distance from the station to the event. Our home, Card Carrier Games, sells beverages and snacks, is close proximity to restaurants, has restrooms, and can easily seat 110+ people.

We encourage all players who want to compete to register through our system on our website, though it is not necessary to compete in the tournament. Players can also register in person on the day of the tournament. By creating an account with us you're not only automatically entered in raffles, but you also gain access to other benefits exclusive to members. Our goal is to nurture great competition and sportsmanship, and most importantly, have a fun time. Thank you, and Good Luck!

A message from the host: "Hey everyone I'm Eddie, some of you may remember me from the last tournament. I assisted at the informal Melee tournament we had on July 26th. From here on out we'll be running the events. It was great to see some new and old faces and I hope with your help and passion, we can grow this event. I would love for our small (but growing) community to become stronger with all of you becoming a part of it. I spoke with some of you at length and I really liked the positive attitudes you had, and the ideas you had for other events. I'm all about suggestions and we're all about evolving. By all means feel free to communicate with me. The Miyamoto Cup and myself have been running tournaments since 2006 (Brawl, Capcom fighters, Mortal Kombat, etc.) but this is our first official Melee event...I know, it's ridiculous that it took this long!

So I hope many of you can make it to our tournament. Looking forward to seeing you there. Any questions please contact Smash Cup chairman Eddie (Me, aka "Alpha”) at SmashCup@miyamotocup.com or message me here through Smashboards or PM Alpha on our forums".

-Eddie

Pot split: 60/30/10 (1st/ 2nd/ 3rd)
This tournament's Raffle prize: $50.00 Game Stop gift card. Drawing will happen during the tournament.

Visit The Miyamoto Cup and our partner, Card Carrier Games.

Tournament Rules:
The Tournament...Best of 3, 4 stock at 8 mins., Double Elimination, No items

(Finals) Best of 5, 4 stock at 8 mins., No items
Note: If the loser of this match has only lost once, then another round must be played. Stage is Final Destination. No items are in play. The winner becomes the tournament's champion.

Stage Selection: The first match takes place on a neutral stage. Players may agree on which neutral stage they'd like to start on. If an agreement can not be made, the neutral stage will be chosen randomly.

Before the next match each player chooses one stage to ban. This is done after characters have been selected (winner selects character first, then the loser selects). Once characters have been selected and stages banned, the loser will then select the stage which the next match will take place on. Players can not ban a Neutral stage.

Neutrals:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Battlefield
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Dream Land (N64)
  • Final Destination

Counter-picks:
  • Pokémon Stadium

Limits & Banned Practices
  • "Wobbling" is legal but restricted to 200% damage, however beyond that it will be considered stalling which is prohibited.
  • Repeated and intentional use of flying/floating underneath stages to avoid combat or stall the game, is prohibited.
  • In the event a Suicide KO or "Suicide grab" ends a match, the KO goes to the player who initiated the grab. This is valid ONLY if the move ends the match.
  • Chain grabbing is restricted up to 200% damage, however beyond that it will be considered stalling, which is prohibited.

Last edited:

The Miyamoto Cup

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately due to the lack of interest in this upcoming tournament we are forced to postpone it for another date. If there are any particular dates in the near future that are more convenient for people please feel free to contact us. Additionally, if there are any concerns or issues about us or our tournament that contributed to people not wanting to attend, please let us know. Feed back is very important to us and we want to do our best to make people happy. - The Miyamoto Cup

Last edited:
Top Bottom