• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 27, 2014] Silicon Smash Presents: Bay's Own Smash Series! - Hosting... (Mountain View, CA)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Exactly what it sounds like! We're a new Smash TO group that's looking to expand and serve the NorCal Smash community. Our team consists of several active members of the community with TO experience, so you can be sure that we'll be providing the best Smash tournament experience possible.

Facebook announcement: https://www.facebook.com/groups/700200659991734/permalink/847587191919746/

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/356108711212156/

EVENTS:
Project M Singles: $5 entry
Project M Doubles: $5 entry per person (2 players per team)
Brawl Singles: $5 entry
Brawl Doubles: $5 entry per person (2 players per team)
Project M Regional Crew Battles: NORTH (Sac + Bay) vs SOUTH (Central + SoCal)

PAYOUTS (based off of projected entrants and subject to slight tweaks):
Project M Singles: Top 5: 40/25/15/10/5/5
Project M Doubles: Top 4: 45/30/15/10
Brawl Singles: Top 4: 45/30/15/10
Brawl Doubles: Top 2: 65/35

SCHEDULE:
10:00 AM – Venue opens
11:30 PM – ALL sign-ups close
12:00 PM – Project M + Brawl DOUBLES starts
3:00 PM – Project M Crew Battles start
4:00 PM – Project M + Brawl SINGLES starts
11:00 PM – Venue closes

VENUE FEE / DISCOUNTS:
Venue fee: $10
Bring one TV/Wii that we can use: $2 off
Bring two or more items that we can use: $5 off

RULES:

All matches for top4 are best of 5 (winners finals, losers finals, grand finals, losers semifinals), all other matches are best of 3.

[collapse=Brawl]General Rules:
  • 3-stocks, 8-minute timer.
  • Items set to "off" and "none", team attack set to "on".
  • All characters are legal in Singles, double MK is banned in doubles.
  • Ledge Grab Limit set to 35 for all characters : In the event of a time-out, if the victor has 35 or more ledge grabs, they forfeit the game. In teams, if one or more players on each team pass the LGL, it is ignored.
  • In the event of a time-out, winner is determined by LGL, then stocks remaining, then %. In the event of a % tie or sudden death, a 1-stock 3-minute rematch with a LGL of 15 will be played on the same stage.
  • Life-stealing is allowed in doubles.
  • Doubles Color Rule: If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
  • The act of stalling is banned! - Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite's, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stages:
  • Starters: Smashville, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Lylat Cruise
  • Counterpicks: Castle Siege, Battleship Halberd, Pokemon Stadium 1
  • DSR: A player may not counterpick the stage that they last won on in the set.
  • Gentleman's clause: If both you and your opponent agree to do so, you may play on a stage that is banned for the event.
Set Process:
  1. First stage is determined by each player alternately banning stages from the starter list. Higher seed bans second.
  2. Winner of the game bans a stage, then loser selects a stage for the next game.
  3. Winner selects character, then loser selects character. The next game is played.
  4. Steps 2 and 3 are repeated until the set is complete.[/collapse]
[collapse=Project M]General Rules:
  • 4-stocks, 8-minute timer.
  • Items set to "off" and "none", team attack set to "on".
  • All characters are legal.
  • In the event of a time-out, winner is determined by stocks remaining, then %. In the event of a % tie or sudden death, a 1-stock 3-minute rematch with a LGL of 15 will be played on the same stage.
  • Life-stealing is allowed in doubles.
  • Doubles Color Rule: If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
  • The act of stalling is banned! - Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite's, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stages:
  • We will be using TK's Map Pack for this event.
  • Starters: Green Hill Zone, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville, Battlefield, Dreamland.
  • Counterpicks: Yoshi's Island Brawl, WarioWare, Final Destination, Norfair, Yoshi's Island Melee
  • DSR: A player may not counterpick the stage that they last won on in the set.
  • Gentleman's clause: If both you and your opponent agree to do so, you may play on a stage that is banned for the event.
Set Process:
  1. First stage is determined by each player alternately banning stages from the starter list. Higher seed bans second.
  2. Winner of the game bans a stage, then loser selects a stage for the next game.
  3. Winner selects character, then loser selects character. The next game is played.
  4. Steps 2 and 3 are repeated until the set is complete.[/collapse]

Last edited:

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Never been to an event before, but if it's a $5 entry I'd be down to get wrecked for a while. Should be able to bring a Wii and PM.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
UPDATE: We will be adding Brawl Doubles to this event! However, this comes with a clause: you may only enter one doubles event. This is to prevent holding up other players in tournament, since we plan to run both doubles events simultaneously for time purposes.

Never been to an event before, but if it's a $5 entry I'd be down to get wrecked for a while. Should be able to bring a Wii and PM.
Provided you can bring a TV + Wii with Brawl or PM, you'd get in for $5 after the discounts :) we'd love to have you! And there's more than tournament time of course, you'll be able to find room to play friendly matches with other Smashers when their tournament matches aren't going on.

Why no melee?
Simply put, Melee already has a TON of rep in the area, and we feel that currently we can serve the regional Smash community better by hosting other Smash games. We don't have the ability to host more than two games right now, so that's the first limitation. PM is picking up in the region but we want to give it a large stable series, since most of our staff are highly involved with the game and community. Brawl was chosen because there are a surprising amount of people in the area who have been fiending for a Brawl tournament, but there hasn't been anything since last December (!). Hope that makes sense.

We would love to add Melee at some point if we can financially afford to do so, but with SSB4 coming out so soon it's not our highest priority. There are several other strong Melee series in the area though (BAM is this weekend), so I'm sure you can get your Melee fix regardless :3

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Provided you can bring a TV + Wii with Brawl or PM, you'd get in for $5 after the discounts :)
Sadly, I think my TV has a slight input delay and a little burn in from the stupid power-on splash screen. I doubt it's eligible for a discount but I'll bring it anyways in the unlikely event that it's needed at the last minute.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Sadly, I think my TV has a slight input delay and a little burn in from the stupid power-on splash screen. I doubt it's eligible for a discount but I'll bring it anyways in the unlikely event that it's needed at the last minute.
Hmm, well, as long as we can still set it up for dedicated friendlies it would get you the discount, but we probably wouldn't be able to use it for tournament matches. Still, the more friendly setups the better, so thanks for volunteering to bring one!

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Bump. BOSS is coming up this weekend! Already at 70 preregistered attendees and looking at over 20 full PM setups. Still in need of some help with Brawl setups though.

On rulesets: Brawl will be running the APEX ruleset. PM will be running the APEX ruleset, but will be using TK's map pack for stages.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
You can just show up and sign up in-person, it'll be fine. I thought I posted the prereg link up here, sorry .__.

Anyways, updated with formal rules. Currently at ~90 attendees according to prereg!

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Did this go well enough that we can expect an encore in October some time? I wasn't able to make it yesterday and I'm itching for another chance.

Snorlax_IRL

Smash Rookie
Did this go well enough that we can expect an encore in October some time? I wasn't able to make it yesterday and I'm itching for another chance.
Yessir, although it may be Beginning of November depending on how venue situation pans out.

Top Bottom