• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Sep 24, 2015] Smash Quest- smash 4 weeklies (Flushing, New York)

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
@Miis: Last I heard, Mii Brawler needs to be min size AND have custom moves to be as "insane" as is claimed. And the ruleset states default sizes. So there's that. Speaking of the ruleset, is there any chance you might consider swapping Lylat with Dreamland? Make DL a CP and Lylat a starter. With this starter selection I feel kinda trapped because while BF and DL have their differences, if I don't want one I don't want the other. Lylat makes more sense since it's a very different stage from the other four. But hey, that's just my two cents.

By the way, what's the address? I need to plug this into google maps to see if I can plausibly go or not. Also, is there a Facebook group for this?
Dreamland is clearly more fair than lylat. You're also very biased being yoshi's best stage is lylat. The tilting stage on lylat can be extremely jank, Such as falcon down throw in knee turning into a true combo no matter the di if the stage is tilted right. Dream land and battlefield are also very different. Dreamland has a much lower roof with Battlefield being one of the highest. The platforms or more separate. The wind that blows on dreamland making characters that use a move that makes them completely unmobile a bit safer such as ness pk fire, thunder. Characters that like to kill on the top makes dreamland a much better choice than battlefield. Hope you realize this now. :)

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Dreamland is clearly more fair than lylat. You're also very biased being yoshi's best stage is lylat. The tilting stage on lylat can be extremely jank, Such as falcon down throw in knee turning into a true combo no matter the di if the stage is tilted right. Dream land and battlefield are also very different. Dreamland has a much lower roof with Battlefield being one of the highest. The platforms or more separate. The wind that blows on dreamland making characters that use a move that makes them completely unmobile a bit safer such as ness pk fire, thunder. Characters that like to kill on the top makes dreamland a much better choice than battlefield. Hope you realize this now. :)
Full disclosure: Lylat is Yoshi's best stage, but we also like Smashville and T&C just fine.

The difference isn't THAT stark between DL and BF. BF's ceiling is high, but not THAT high. It might be among the highest of the legal stages (bc we don't use KJ64 which is tragic IMHO) but not only is it only marginally higher than FD/SV/DH/no-tilt Lylat, the presence of the top platform allows vertical kills to happen at low percentages anyway. Meanwhile, from the ground, the ceiling in DL is pretty much identical to FD's, and by extention, Smashville's and Duck Hunt's and Lylat's without the tilt. But this means that platform kills on BF become easier on DL. The wind can be pretty jank too under the right circumstances, but when it isn't, the difference in the positioning of the platforms and the wind isn't usually that big a game changer.

Now, I admit that DL is a really good stage for vertical killers, because of the platforms and average ceiling. But that's another reason why it shouldn't be a starter. If you're up against a vertical killer, you don't want DL. You don't want T&C. And you don't want BF because of the platforms. You're screwed. And if you don't want the triple platform layout, which benefits characters to an almost equal extent between the two, you need to use both your strikes against BF and DL. Imagine hating FD and being in a situation where FD and Omega Onett were different starters. Yes, the two are different because you can wall jump/tech off of Onett's walls, but that doesn't mean jack when the layout of those two stages are poison to your matchup.

Meanwhile, Lylat's platform layout is very different than the other starters. The ceiling is roughly average. The tilts make it a great choice against projectiles. Some stuff can happen with them but that can be solved with stage knowledge and experience, just like, say, T&C's platforms of death. In striking, if you're up against a vertical killer, you strike T&C and end up on a stage without a really low ceiling. If you're up against Yoshi, you strike Lylat, just like you should strike SV and maybe FD against a Sheik or BF against a Bowser. BF, FD, SV, T&C, and LC round each other out beautifully, as opposed to BF/FD/SV/DL/T&C in which the list is redundant. So there we go. Lylat for starter.

edit: forgot to mention you're probably biased against Lylat since you're a Sheik main. It's probably the only stage I can think of that Sheik doesn't like.

Last edited:

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
Full disclosure: Lylat is Yoshi's best stage, but we also like Smashville and T&C just fine.

The difference isn't THAT stark between DL and BF. BF's ceiling is high, but not THAT high. It might be among the highest of the legal stages (bc we don't use KJ64 which is tragic IMHO) but not only is it only marginally higher than FD/SV/DH/no-tilt Lylat, the presence of the top platform allows vertical kills to happen at low percentages anyway. Meanwhile, from the ground, the ceiling in DL is pretty much identical to FD's, and by extention, Smashville's and Duck Hunt's and Lylat's without the tilt. But this means that platform kills on BF become easier on DL. The wind can be pretty jank too under the right circumstances, but when it isn't, the difference in the positioning of the platforms and the wind isn't usually that big a game changer.

Now, I admit that DL is a really good stage for vertical killers, because of the platforms and average ceiling. But that's another reason why it shouldn't be a starter. If you're up against a vertical killer, you don't want DL. You don't want T&C. And you don't want BF because of the platforms. You're screwed. And if you don't want the triple platform layout, which benefits characters to an almost equal extent between the two, you need to use both your strikes against BF and DL. Imagine hating FD and being in a situation where FD and Omega Onett were different starters. Yes, the two are different because you can wall jump/tech off of Onett's walls, but that doesn't mean jack when the layout of those two stages are poison to your matchup.

Meanwhile, Lylat's platform layout is very different than the other starters. The ceiling is roughly average. The tilts make it a great choice against projectiles. Some stuff can happen with them but that can be solved with stage knowledge and experience, just like, say, T&C's platforms of death. In striking, if you're up against a vertical killer, you strike T&C and end up on a stage without a really low ceiling. If you're up against Yoshi, you strike Lylat, just like you should strike SV and maybe FD against a Sheik or BF against a Bowser. BF, FD, SV, T&C, and LC round each other out beautifully, as opposed to BF/FD/SV/DL/T&C in which the list is redundant. So there we go. Lylat for starter.

edit: forgot to mention you're probably biased against Lylat since you're a Sheik main. It's probably the only stage I can think of that Sheik doesn't like.
First off we don't like halberd either. Other stages we don't like are mu dependent like with most characters. Lylat is still more junk than dreamland. And neither bother me because we wreck rosaluma on lylat as well as little mac. And so many characters have trouble recovering on lylat so sheik can edge guard very easily. character such as marth are others with long range tilts are impossible on lylat because there is safety net platform.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
First off we don't like halberd either. Other stages we don't like are mu dependent like with most characters. Lylat is still more junk than dreamland. And neither bother me because we wreck rosaluma on lylat as well as little mac. And so many characters have trouble recovering on lylat so sheik can edge guard very easily. character such as marth are others with long range tilts are impossible on lylat because there is safety net platform.
If Dreamland's boundaries were Meleesque, thus being very radically different from BF, I'd grin and bear it. It's a decent stage, (if redundant) but it's closeness to BF precludes it from being a starter more than anything Lylat has. I'd argue more but TBH internet arguments go nowhere and I'd really not waste everyone's time, including yours.

So instead I'll ask a question: is there anyone on this earth who actually DOES like Halberd? :p

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
If Dreamland's boundaries were Meleesque, thus being very radically different from BF, I'd grin and bear it. It's a decent stage, (if redundant) but it's closeness to BF precludes it from being a starter more than anything Lylat has. I'd argue more but TBH internet arguments go nowhere and I'd really not waste everyone's time, including yours.

So instead I'll ask a question: is there anyone on this earth who actually DOES like Halberd? :p
fox and rosa mains thats about it

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
fox and rosa mains thats about it
figured as much. Against most characters I don't even bother banning it because neither of us like it, but I will use up a ban vs characters like Fox, Falcon, Rosa, Diddy, that kind of thing

edit: So if I'm going to be able to go, I'm going to need a ride. That's why I asked about a Facebook group...

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Apologies for the double post, but if this is happening Saturday, I'm going to need a ride. (for reference, Bronxville is in Westchester County, and I'm somewhat in between Bronxville and Yorktown) Is there anyone here who can help me? Otherwise I won't be able to go

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards updated layout is so confusing. I need to fix the date but I don't know how anymore.

redmageofheaven

Smash Rookie
NNID
redmageofheaven
How long does the tournament usually take? Planning on starting to go out to locals and yours is the closest. I'm also assuming it's every Wednesday right? Can't wait to go, need some new people to play with, Wi-Fi just isn't cutting it anymore.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
How long does the tournament usually take? Planning on starting to go out to locals and yours is the closest. I'm also assuming it's every Wednesday right? Can't wait to go, need some new people to play with, Wi-Fi just isn't cutting it anymore.
It's ever saturday at 530, but try to show up at 5

Psychic Purge

Smash Rookie
i haven t been to a tournament before. how does this work? it says venue fee is $3 and tourney fee is $5, so essentially i can come with just $8 bucks and attend? obviously ill come with more for food and stuff but im just trying to get a grasp on the bear minimum. also, it says room opens at 12pm, does that mean i can just come in and play friendlys? no complicated procedures or registrations?

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
i haven t been to a tournament before. how does this work? it says venue fee is $3 and tourney fee is $5, so essentially i can come with just $8 bucks and attend? obviously ill come with more for food and stuff but im just trying to get a grasp on the bear minimum. also, it says room opens at 12pm, does that mean i can just come in and play friendlys? no complicated procedures or registrations?
Yes, 3 bucks you can play friends from 12pm to closing, 5 bucks for bracket

3quinox

Smash Rookie
NNID
X3quinoxX
3DS FC
2294-6359-7765
Venue Fee: $3
Tournament Fee: $5
4:00PM - Sign-up
5:30PM - Tournament begins (please god come around 5 for christs sake)

Customs: off
Mii fighters: On and allowed to use any alternate specials with default miis
Starters: Final destination, battlefield, town and city, smashville, dreamland 64
Counterpick: Lylat cruise, duck hunt, omegas, isle delfino, halberd, castle siege
Bring your own controller!

Cardquest is on the second floor of flushing new world mall. Up the escalator and passed the massager chairs.

You can play friendlies before and after the tourney. Room opens at 12:00pm, room closes at 10:00pm
This is near my school ^*^

3quinox

Smash Rookie
NNID
X3quinoxX
3DS FC
2294-6359-7765
Ya I do tho so I found that strange

Rex0217

Smash Rookie
Hey what has the player turnout been like the past few weeks? More than 15?

Rex0217

Smash Rookie
I have quite the history with john bowne high school

Generally. We've seen a dip recently though because poppin games but soon we're gonna work it out it have them start earlier hopefully so people can come through.
So is it happening tomorrow?

Mavado

Smash Rookie
Nick ill be going to popnoff tommorrow so just hold my matches or something if the tourney starts and im not there.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Saw this too late, but I'm assuming it's safe to sau that it's still happening every sat as normal which if that's so, I'll be there this saturday.

Icheibi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Icheibi
Hey does this still go on? Flushing is like a bus ride away and I've been trying to get into some tournaments in the NYC area.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Saw this too late, but I'm assuming it's safe to sau that it's still happening every sat as normal which if that's so, I'll be there this saturday.
Yep
Hey does this still go on? Flushing is like a bus ride away and I've been trying to get into some tournaments in the NYC area.
Yes it does, I'm just bad at the new layout and don't know how to change dates anymore

Icheibi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Icheibi
Yes it does, I'm just bad at the new layout and don't know how to change dates anymore
Sorry to ask so many questions but, this happens every Saturday at 4:00pm, in New World Mall 136-20 Roosvelt Ave Flushing NY 11354 in some store called Cardquest?
If so, I'll definitely be there next week and onward.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to ask so many questions but, this happens every Saturday at 4:00pm, in New World Mall 136-20 Roosvelt Ave Flushing NY 11354 in some store called Cardquest?
If so, I'll definitely be there next week and onward.
It starts around 5:30 to 6:00. It's at cardquest in new world mall yes. Second floor.

Icheibi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Icheibi
I took a big break from Sm4sh, trying to get back into it. Is this still going on?

Top Bottom