• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Sep 14, 2015] STL BarWarz Smash 4 Singles Bi-Weekly (St Louis, MO)

Cubble555

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry I've probably posted this about 3 times now, I'm new to the forums. I'm 13 and me and my friend wish to participate, so we were wondering if there was an age limit. We're also rookies to smash (Far better than casual) we're trying to be competitive so we've been training every day, so is this event noob friendly?

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
Can younger people participate? I'm not 21 or older, so can I enter the building?
I'm sorry I've probably posted this about 3 times now, I'm new to the forums. I'm 13 and me and my friend wish to participate, so we were wondering if there was an age limit. We're also rookies to smash (Far better than casual) we're trying to be competitive so we've been training every day, so is this event noob friendly?
Yeah there isn't an age limitation tbh this place is just for fun (and Money) I can tell you that many teens and young adults go here and no ****s are given whatsoever

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous

Cubble555

Smash Rookie
This is my first tournament that I might go to, so I have a few questions

1. What is a "strike" and "neutral stage"?

2. What is "1-2-1 order"?

3. If we use custom keybinds do we put them in before the match?

4. Even though it sounds self explanatory does counterpick mean a stage that your character is good on and theirs is bad on?

If you don't feel like explaining, please link me to a guide.

Cubble555

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, we're going to be running that monthly I've been talking about for ages! I finally nailed down a venue and with the help of the SIUE Esports community, we are going to make this happen.

Here's the Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1455758284720616/
Here's the Smashboards event link: http://smashboards.com/threads/jul-...thly-melee-pm-smash-4-edwardsville-il.408468/
So does this mean the tournament after this one will be hosted in Edwardsville?

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
This is my first tournament that I might go to, so I have a few questions

1. What is a "strike" and "neutral stage"?

2. What is "1-2-1 order"?

3. If we use custom keybinds do we put them in before the match?

4. Even though it sounds self explanatory does counterpick mean a stage that your character is good on and theirs is bad on?

If you don't feel like explaining, please link me to a guide.
1. Neutral stages are a set of 5 tournament-legal starter stages (Battlefield, FD, Town and City, Smashville, and Lylat Cruise). For the first game of a set, each player takes turns "striking" or banning the stage they do not want to play on (this is all done verbally). As an exception, a neutral stage may be mutually agreed on.

2. 1-2-1 order means that Player A will strike one stage, Player B will strike two stages, then Player A will strike one stage between the two remaining, and the stage that hasn't been struck out is where the first match will take place. You can determine who gets to strike first via rock-paper-scissors.

3. Yes, you can set up your custom controls before the match.

4. Counterpicking just means choosing a stage in order to have an advantage over your opponent. Doesn't necessarily mean that the counterpick stage will inherently favor one character over the other. The reasoning could be as simple as you feeling more comfortable on a certain stage.

Cubble555

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing strike means ban? And can you counterpick stages by choosing from the neutral list?

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, we're going to be running that monthly I've been talking about for ages! I finally nailed down a venue and with the help of the SIUE Esports community, we are going to make this happen.

Here's the Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1455758284720616/
Here's the Smashboards event link: http://smashboards.com/threads/jul-...thly-melee-pm-smash-4-edwardsville-il.408468/
Tbh I think pm should only have to pay for venue because it's not a legit smash game

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
And can you counterpick stages by choosing from the neutral list?
Yes, you may choose stages from both the neutral and counterpick lists that your opponent has not banned. However, you may not choose a stage you have won on previously in the set.

Last edited:

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised we're getting these many people all of a sudden like seriously last tourney had 10 more people then the highest one before it and that was the week before :o

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
Haha sorry Chaos just saw your post. Whoops. No storm at all thankfully, the venue would have been SO HOT.

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
Can't believe I got top 8 in this tournament! My Sm4sh life is complete... for now.
Yeah in the twitch chat a guy was saying you were being mean to him even though that was his first tournament (okay why would anyone think they would go easy on someone AT A TOURNAMENT especially one that pays $100 but I digress)

NinjaFrog4884

Smash Rookie
So I am new, would you need to bring a controller along with everything else and cords for your monitor etc?

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
So I am new, would you need to bring a controller along with everything else and cords for your monitor etc?
Yes, you will need your own controller. If you bring a setup you will need your system, Gamecube adapter, game and all monitor and system cords. Preferably a power strip as well.

Top Bottom