• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sentinel in MvC3 because of competitive players

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Link to original post: [drupal=3979]Sentinel in MvC3 because of competitive players[/drupal]

So, the highly anticipated Marvel v Capcom 3 now has Sentinel in it. According to an interview (which I can't find for the life of me), he was put in only due to competitive players wanting him in. Somebody else said something along the lines of "competitive players are the fanbase". While this is fine and dandy, it kind of irks me that less deserving characters like this get in while obvious choices like Mega Man are left out in the cold. It especially irks me that people think the competitive players should be listened to way more than the casual or not mainstream players, even to the extent of leaving that group out of the picture. Try to listen to everyone, developers, especially when your main fanbase wants something and you explicitly taunt them by not putting it in. Like Mega Man.

-thank you, a disgruntled gamer

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Do you really think that MvC3 will go through its lifespan without having Megaman in it? They left him out because people will obviously pay extra for him as DLC.

As for listening to the competitive players...that's who the game is made for. SF, MvC and other fighting games are generally made for the competitive crowd, so their words should carry more weight.

And personally, I love Sentinel. I didn't play MvC2, but the Sentinels are my favorite Marvel villains.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
ϟ Rotom ϟ

Its electric-like body can enter some kinds of machines and take control in order to make mischief. Research continues on this Pokemon, which could be the power source of a unique motor.​

ϟϟϟ

{ Statistics }
Weight ϟϟϟ 1
Speed ϟϟϟ 7
Fall Speed ϟϟϟ 2
Traction ϟϟϟ 6
Jump ϟϟϟ 5

ϟϟϟ

{ Standards }
Jab ϟϟϟ Astonish
Rotom flails its "arms" about wildly, while uttering a sudden and abrupt high-pitched shout. This does 2% damage and medium hitstun, but the hitstun decreases exponentially the more you use it, down to nothing after three uses, since the element of surprise has vanished and the foe is no longer frightened by it. Waiting a while after using it will recharge it. This has no lag.

Forward Tilt ϟϟϟ Ball Lightning
Rotom generates a ball of ghostly electricity inside him and lets it loose, with minimal lag. The ball of electricity will travel forward one Stage Builder block before dissipating. The ball does no knockback or stun, but instead deals "attackstun", which is totally something I just came up with. Basically, when the foe tries to preform their next attack, they instead get quite a shock- literally. They're stunned mildly and their attack fails. This attack has minor end lag on Rotom's part. This effect cannot stack.

TL?

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=3979]Sentinel in MvC3 because of competitive players[/drupal]

So, the highly anticipated Marvel v Capcom 3 now has Sentinel in it. According to an interview (which I can't find for the life of me), he was put in only due to competitive players wanting him in. Somebody else said something along the lines of "competitive players are the fanbase". While this is fine and dandy, it kind of irks me that less deserving characters like this get in while obvious choices like Mega Man are left out in the cold. It especially irks me that people think the competitive players should be listened to way more than the casual or not mainstream players, even to the extent of leaving that group out of the picture. Try to listen to everyone, developers, especially when your main fanbase wants something and you explicitly taunt them by not putting it in. Like Mega Man.

-thank you, a disgruntled gamer
The notion that certain characters are more or less deserving to be in a game is pretty stupid. As if Megaman is some real person who works all day and MvC3 is some sort of reward. Nothing matters except what the people in charge of the game decide will be in it. One character that was popular in the last game makes it in and self centered people go crazy. How dare capcom not make their games specifically for one random kid? How dare they include one of the most used characters from MvC2? Maybe they should call you up next time to check with you if their game meets your standards.

link2702

Smash Champion
hell least capcom listens to its competitive players and doesn't shun em out like this "bad disease that needs to die" like nintendo does...

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Well yeah, they stuck with the game more than anyone else. I think if they garner enough attention, ****ing throw them a bone.

So like, stop crying. >:[

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
This is when gaming goes in the right direction, not the wrong. I hope more companies start listening to their competitive scene like Capcom does.

I'm sure a version of Megaman will be available at some point whether it's through DLC, or installed into the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As TL? said, no one is truly deserving to be in a game. It's all opinion based for who should and shouldn't be in. The thing I agreed with them on Megaman was that he more less didn't add anything new nor could they retain his identity with all the boss attacks. If MvC3 had a roster of entirely original characters, Megaman would just seem like a combination of Arthur, Amaterasu, and Dante.

That being said, I still think he'll be in as DLC.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
ϟ Rotom ϟ

Its electric-like body can enter some kinds of machines and take control in order to make mischief. Research continues on this Pokemon, which could be the power source of a unique motor.​

ϟϟϟ

{ Statistics }
Weight ϟϟϟ 1
Speed ϟϟϟ 7
Fall Speed ϟϟϟ 2
Traction ϟϟϟ 6
Jump ϟϟϟ 5

ϟϟϟ

{ Standards }
Jab ϟϟϟ Astonish
Rotom flails its "arms" about wildly, while uttering a sudden and abrupt high-pitched shout. This does 2% damage and medium hitstun, but the hitstun decreases exponentially the more you use it, down to nothing after three uses, since the element of surprise has vanished and the foe is no longer frightened by it. Waiting a while after using it will recharge it. This has no lag.

Rotom generates a ball of ghostly electricity inside him and lets it loose, with minimal lag. The ball of electricity will travel forward one Stage Builder block before dissipating. The ball does no knockback or stun, but instead deals "attackstun", which is totally something I just came up with. Basically, when the foe tries to preform their next attack, they instead get quite a shock- literally. They're stunned mildly and their attack fails. This attack has minor end lag on Rotom's part. This effect cannot stack.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
At least Capcom listen to their fans casual and competitive and that's how they have good praise from their fans that's better that a company that we all know and don't love as much anymore.

I believe Megaman will be DLC cause that will be alot of money in Capcom's pockets if he is DLC.

Edit: Capcom is lazy at times and doesn't try hard enough on some things.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The competitive crowd is not "the fans". They're a percentage of the fanbase.
Yet they're the ones keeping the game alive while the "casual" crowd moves on to something else. I'd be thankful for them keeping interest in the game alive so I'd give something they'd want in return.

So are you saying that they should only put in popular characters? If that's the case, say goodbye to Dormammu, Modok, Sentinel, She-Hulk, Shuma-Gorath, Super Skrull, Taskmaster, maybe X-23 (since she's a canon immigrant), Amaterasu, Arthur, Felicia, Haggar, Hsien-Ko, Morrigan, Spencer, Trish, and Tron-Bonne.

Anyone can come up with a Megaman moveset, but that doesn't mean it'll be unique or exciting in comparison to the other characters. Now Eventscrubs should be taken with a grain of salt, but some of the comments I read there were saying Megaman was a bland character in the MvC titles.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
ϟ Rotom ϟ

ϟϟϟ

{ Statistics }
Weight ϟϟϟ 1
Speed ϟϟϟ 7
Fall Speed ϟϟϟ 2
Traction ϟϟϟ 6
Jump ϟϟϟ 5

ϟϟϟ

{ Standards }
Jab ϟϟϟ Astonish

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
It seems less like this is a problem because Megaman "deserves" to be in the game, and more of a problem because Capcom chose to listen to one fan base over another. I would argue though that a game like MvC3 doesn't really have a "casual" base; some people are certainly more dedicated than others, and some go to tournaments while others don't, but once you've dedicated yourself to learning character movesets and team combinations, you've moved beyond casual gaming.

Malcolm.O

Smash Cadet
Wow Capcom pay attention to the players
Thats pretty cool

Oh, and more then likely Megaman is going to have a Megaman Pack DLC(Including multiple megaman chars more then likely)

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
The competitive crowd is not "the fans". They're a percentage of the fanbase.
But they were the ones that kept MvC2 alive many years after release. Yeah, they might be a percentage of the fan base but they have a huge impact on the VS series.

I was going to go further, but then Jam Stunna happened :)

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
ϟ Rotom ϟ

ϟϟϟ

{ Statistics }
Weight ϟϟϟ 1
Speed ϟϟϟ 7
Fall Speed ϟϟϟ 2
Traction ϟϟϟ 6
Jump ϟϟϟ 5

ϟϟϟ

{ Standards }
Jab ϟϟϟ Astonish

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I'm glad they are listening to competitive players. Casual games get enough attention from Nintendo. In fact, not just Nintendo now, Microsoft made Kinect for casual gamers, Sony made Move(I believe that was what its called) for casual gamers. The fact that MvC3 is more geared towards competitive players doesn't seem like a bad thing to me at all.

Edit: Actually the OP is probably just trolling again, after the last blog he wrote its kind of difficult to take him seriously.

§witch

Smash Lord
MvC is awful to play when you suck. There's no middle ground between button mashing and knowing what you're doing.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
This is when gaming goes in the right direction, not the wrong. I hope more companies start listening to their competitive scene like Capcom does.
Silly argument. Adding a character just because he is heavily requested has not really much to do about "listening to your competitive scene". Who cares about characters? MvC3 will STILL be a very different game to MvC2.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
ϟ Rotom ϟ

ϟϟϟ

{ Statistics }
Weight ϟϟϟ 1
Speed ϟϟϟ 7
Fall Speed ϟϟϟ 2
Traction ϟϟϟ 6
Jump ϟϟϟ 5

ϟϟϟ

{ Standards }
Jab ϟϟϟ Astonish

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Remember Capcom be trolling and they said Sentinel was not in the game and look what happened.

FBI:Vess

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vessman
Silly argument. Adding a character just because he is heavily requested has not really much to do about "listening to your competitive scene". Who cares about characters? MvC3 will STILL be a very different game to MvC2.
MvC3 Will be different most Definitely, Its not like MvC2 where you Mash Buttons all the way, no they made MvC3 more easy and conferable.

Btw Megaman X is going be in the DLC if anyone knows that. So that means no old school Megaman.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Just saying.

I'd actually like to see Capcom finish characters they've already started working on (Frank West), or implement characters they keep promising the fanbase (Phoenix Wright). But I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Freaking ninja'd.

FBI:Vess

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vessman
Just saying.

I'd actually like to see Capcom finish characters they've already started working on (Frank West), or implement characters they keep promising the fanbase (Phoenix Wright). But I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Freaking ninja'd.
They Deconfirm Frank West, but Pheonix Wright will have a chance of being in the DLC.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I would die happy if Phoenix Wright was included (or any character from the series for that matter), but I'll believe it when I see it.

And yeah, apparently Frank West wasn't working on the game's engine or something. Not a big deal, but kinda disappointing.

Savon

Smash Ace
Am I the only person who finds it amazingly ironic that the same competitive fan-base that is responsible for Sentinel for being in MvC3 will dismiss him as trash and not touch him if he is not a tournament viable character?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Do you really think that MvC3 will go through its lifespan without having Megaman in it? They left him out because people will obviously pay extra for him as DLC.
Being available as DLC is not the same thing as being playable in the game, without having to pay an extra fee.

The notion that certain characters are more or less deserving to be in a game is pretty stupid.
Does Goomba deserve to be playable in Smash as much as Mario does?

How dare capcom not make their games specifically for one random kid?
Mega Man is one of Capcom's largest and most popular franchises, and one of its most recognizable characters.

Anyone can come up with a Megaman moveset, but that doesn't mean it'll be unique or exciting in comparison to the other characters.
How exciting a moveset is is subjective. There are a lot of characters that I wouldn't be interested in using because I don't find the way they fight interesting. And it's not necessary that a character be 100% unique. Sure, Capcom did a way better job than with MvC2 by not making any full-fledged clones, but I doubt all of the current characters in the game are entirely unique.

>implying that's what i said
It was heavily implied that's what you meant. If not, then what did you mean?

Edit: Actually the OP is probably just trolling again, after the last blog he wrote its kind of difficult to take him seriously.
OP has his complaints and he does troll a lot but he's prolly being serious right now.

Okay, this was pretty funny.

lmao this kid is so mad

how about you go play baby's first fighting game staring megaman and hello kitty
lmao how about you quit being an *******

Am I the only person who finds it amazingly ironic that the same competitive fan-base that is responsible for Sentinel for being in MvC3 will dismiss him as trash and not touch him if he is not a tournament viable character?
Man, I really like this post.

Finally, and I am assuming a bit here, I don't think Khold's trying to convert anyone to his opinion. He's just trying to express it, and a lot of his concerns are legitimate.

D

Deleted member

Casual players didn't keep the game alive for ten years.

GTFO

황미영

Smash Champion
AJ//. hi says (1:11 AM):
Megaman was labeled boring as lame by developers, and I have already mentioned on how I can see why. Sent, "less deserving"? For one, he's marvel, so frankly, him being in will NEVER hinder megaman's chances in returning. blame hsein ko or whoever so far has been released on capcom's side.

THAT ALL BEING SAID, it's good that capcom is actually listening to A (or the) fanbase than none at all. Sen
AJ//. hi says (1:12 AM):
Sent was def a character I want in (you know I love him in mvc2) so frankly I think this nerd is just angry because he's a nerd.

GG

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Casuals with entlitilement issues. are really unnerving. They have plenty of characters to choose from, and Capcom decides to add one character to please the hardcore gamers, ONE!, and they get whiny!? Seriously...? Seriously!? This is exactly why we don't play with casuals anymore and form our own cliques. We want to get along, but selfish and ignorant comments like this really make it hard.

It's kind of with Brawl. Melee had the perfect balance. Potentially hardcore, playable in a casual way. Brawl screwed this balance up. Then the casuals tell us to stop trying to compete. It's really just a way of telling us "Stop having fun!". Their definition of fun differs form us. Furthermore, casuals follow trends, and make for a vast market, but also a pretty hard one to keep.

Finally, Sentinel won't stop you from getting Megaman... He's on the Marvel side. Think!

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
yes like Vigilante said...Sentinel didn't prevent Mega Man from being in the game...if you want to "blame" a character, blame Hsien-Ko if you must...since she's on the CAPCOM side...as opposed to, y'know, Sentinel who is on the MARVEL side....

Top Bottom