• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
On the subject of Lucina, I really hate her model in this game. It is really ugly. Marth however, is very attractive for a man.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of Lucina, I really hate her model in this game. It is really ugly. Marth however, is very attractive for a man.
Could it be that you just think Lucina is an ugly character?

I have to agree with your statement on MarthyMarth. He's just so....beautiful.

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
Is it a bad habit to use counter when you're getting back to the ledge, but are shifting out for an edgeguard tactic?

I've noticed i done that vs :4jigglypuff: recently, and sometimes with :4falcon:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I can say with a straight face that Marth, objectively speaking, is the prettiest character in the game. It makes winning with him that much better.

Also, @ Phantom High Phantom High , assuming I'm reading your post right, Iai counter is also not a bad tactic for trying to get back to the ledge since you can use it to reverse edgeguard the opponent.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Could it be that you just think Lucina is an ugly character?

I have to agree with your statement on MarthyMarth. He's just so....beautiful.
I love her design, she is really well designed. I loved her in FE:A. She's just sort of really manish here. Its weird.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Day 4/5

Discovered Lucario.
Precision / spacing based, reactive character.
A lot less range than Marth but still insane kill power. A skill based mechanic that is insanely rewarding.
Always get back level of recovery. Good projectile. Great rolls, dodges, small hurtbox.
Think its the closest thing to Marth in this game, the realisation was like "oh yeah, Lucario is the swordsman archetype"; between brawl and now he's been foxified / sped up with range and some other things tuned down.

Otherwise Marth... playing at the right mid range point/position is essential. You need to ensure people aren't reading the roll away in your choices (so don't roll away to react to a roll, it's easy dash grab punish), play mid range forever, until a down tilt, up tilt, grab or sh uair opportunity arises. Kinda gave up with using dancing blade for more than the first two strikes as a habit, the move is just awful against a lot of the meta (small characters that flatten on the ground on landing so a lot of DB whiffs).

Using DB in the air is pretty good. More than just db1, it's actually looking to be a solid means of playing in the air, stuff like forward 2/down 3 aiming downwards actually makes logical sense (based Smash hints forcing me to think about the intentions a bit more). Diddy Kong, Sheik and Ness require such a campy play style and mindset, these match ups are kinda feasible on even reaction, although their options are just that 10-20% faster and you can't afford to get read against them... just keep going until someone loses patience; this doesn't cover the opponent doing the same as well, but you just need to outbait. DB1 to stall your vertical momentum throws a lot of people off for a while (using it intelligently still has benefits), sh air dodge on the ground into an aerial attack landing is a lot more commitment than just reactively dodging away but does beat a lot of split moment aggressive choices (except against Diddy/Sheik's freely auto cancelling god tier aerials); a good habit is to keep holding the shield button after you do an air dodge, you can still aerial out of it fine and then you can easily buffer a shield, or roll/dodge without the accidental air dodge.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Well today I went to visit another one of my friends and we played Smash Wii U. I brought my 3DS to use as a controller,but to my surprise they had a Wii U controller adapter with 4 working GC controllers! It felt so good to play Smash with a GC controller again, I have not played on a GC controller since like the early days of Brawl,but one by one I ended up with busted controllers (I was a 8 year old who got very frustrated very easily). I decided from now on when I play Smash Wii U my tag will either be Jamil (My real life name) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8c5wmeOL9o. I don't know if I will be able to get a Wii U with the Smash Wii U bundle this year,but I hope I can! I feel like I am the only one who still plays on 3DS, while all of my friends, smashladder, and people here on smashboards are playing the Wii U :sadeyes:.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Discovered Lucario.
Are you thinking of spending more time playing the character? I picked up Duck Hunt around 2 weeks ago and I feel the trio covers some of Marth's and Lucina's weaknesses well.
Kinda gave up with using dancing blade for more than the first two strikes as a habit, the move is just awful against a lot of the meta (small characters that flatten on the ground on landing so a lot of DB whiffs).
I find that the ability of the opponent sometimes power-shielding the move after DB-2 a bit annoying. It might be that I am timing the move incorrectly, but I have seen it happen quite a few times.
Using DB in the air is pretty good. DB1 to stall your vertical momentum throws a lot of people off for a while (use it smart all the time though).
Now this is something I feel comfortable commenting on. I use this quite a bit in both Melee and Smash 4. I picked it up from one of the best Melee Marth's in Puerto Rico. While I do believe he uses it a bit too much and gets punished for it at times by the top players, it gave him a clear advantage over at least 90% of others that usually attend tournaments. He used it to stall and bait the opponent into an action so he could respond accordingly. It is something that has carried over well unto the future Smash games as well. While I had to do some modifications to its use, it pretty much remains the same.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Just want to say how proud I am of the Marth forums, especially @ Shaya Shaya and @ EternalFlame EternalFlame .

I go to other forums and they don't have all this extensive knowledge. Not even the forums of top tiers. There is so much talk of lower tier characters metagame possibly stagnating due to lack of play or lack of knowledge and I just chuckle because I don't know that feel. All I know is that I'm part of an amazing character community that is determined to push Marth to the absolute limit. Whether he is bottom tier, mid tier, or high tier I'm happy to contribute to this dedicated group of players.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
Anybody want to have a marth mirror?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord I forgot to comment on your article when you posted it. But its a great read. It has helped tremendously. I still have a long way to go in terms of actually understanding fighting games as a whole. Regardless, I hope it helps me achieve greater heights.
EDIT: hyperlinks being weird.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
@ Shaya Shaya was that you playing on M2K's stream last night while they were playing teams? One of them had a tag that said "Shay" and was using Lucario.

The Link boards don't seem to like us :sadeyes: http://smashboards.com/threads/link-social-congrats-elessar-and-fiod.370194/
Whether they like us or not, it doesn't really matter xD (I looked into it a little bit). Let our swords speak for us in battle, not words. Before and after, we should also show respect to our opponents, so that they cannot genuinely fault us nor claim cowardice of our fighting style. Marth's strength and courage we will show without a need to brag about it, and people will see the kind of community we truly are.

Anybody want to have a marth mirror?
Marth mirrors I find silly xD But hey, I'm up for a few if you'd like. I'll add ya later when I get back in a few hours

Just want to say how proud I am of the Marth forums, especially @ Shaya Shaya and @ EternalFlame EternalFlame .

I go to other forums and they don't have all this extensive knowledge. Not even the forums of top tiers. There is so much talk of lower tier characters metagame possibly stagnating due to lack of play or lack of knowledge and I just chuckle because I don't know that feel. All I know is that I'm part of an amazing character community that is determined to push Marth to the absolute limit. Whether he is bottom tier, mid tier, or high tier I'm happy to contribute to this dedicated group of players.
Quite touched sir xD

It does actually suit me fine if people deem Marth low tier and whatnot. Only those truly loyal to their characters will be able to push them to their very limits, and we all are united in our stand to realize this goal. May the Marth community continue to press forward towards a brighter future, no matter how the Smash world may deem us!

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
Yh jus message me and leave ur friend code

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Where did they start talking about Mar-Mar mains?
A few weeks ago I got into an pointless argument with just about 70% of the players there. I made a few posts on here complaining about it (I am not sure whether I should or should not have posted those,but I still felt you guys should know how it is there). Yesterday one of the mods liked all of my posts because they said it was "for the lulzy" and also said something about Zano. When they posted that,a bunch of players from there also liked my posts where I was complaining. After that they started saying some random stuff, like saying that Marth mains are cowards in the thread I linked.

Last edited:
You might be Toon Link.
A few weeks ago I got into an pointless argument with just about 70% of the players there. I made a few posts on here complaining about it (I am not sure whether I should or should not have posted those,but I still felt you guys should know how it is there). Yesterday one of the mods liked all of my posts because they said it was "for the lulzy" and also said something about Zano. When they posted that,a bunch of players from there also liked my posts where I was complaining. After that they started saying some random stuff, like saying that Marth mains are cowards in the thread I linked.
Why don't you let the posts speak for themselves?

Edit: I actually like FSK's idea of having character crew battles.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ JingleJangleJamil JingleJangleJamil , don't take them too seriously. They are a lively bunch, and they do help out if asked nicely. We can always settle it in smash if need be.
Edit: I actually like FSK's idea of having character crew battles.
That sounds like fun where do I sign up?

On a more general note: Hi guys, I'm locuan128. I was appointed mod of both the Lucina/Marth boards recently. If you guys have any ideas, concerns, etc. do not be afraid to contact me! I'm here to help! As far as ideas go, I was thinking of creating a thread that compiled all of the competitive resources we have accumulated up to today and update it accordingly as time goes on. What do you all think?

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
@ JingleJangleJamil JingleJangleJamil

On a more general note: Hi guys, I'm locuan128. I was appointed mod of both the Lucina/Marth boards recently. If you guys have any ideas, concerns, etc. do not be afraid to contact me! I'm here to help! As far as ideas go, I was thinking of creating a thread that compiled all of the competitive resources we have accumulated up to today and update it accordingly as time goes on. What do you all think?
I'm all for that personally, it'll help people find what they want immediately if they're looking for something specific like Shaya's frame data, the video threads, or a link to the guides (though only 3 exist, which is counting Emblem Lord's who hasn't made the switch yet). Not sure what else would constitute for the competitive resources, but one general thread to link to the others would be rather helpful over stickying all of them to the top of each respective board.

Perhaps then we can get some of the repeat questions out of the way xD but that also depends on people actually reading the posts

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
@ JingleJangleJamil JingleJangleJamil , don't take them too seriously. They are a lively bunch, and they do help out if asked nicely. We can always settle it in smash if need be.

That sounds like fun where do I sign up?

Goodguy, Loucan

Sticking up for the best in the Link forums.

I already know you and how awfully nice you are, so I am delighted to here this. All hail our new Mod, Loucan!

This competitive Marth Resources compilation sounds to be an exceptionally bright idea! I'm all for it!

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I have seen a lot of players on there who are pretty nice,but I don't really get along with most of them sadly.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Alright so I compiled a list of the information threads for Marth. These include:
  1. The blade of two fates - Marth/Lucina guide
  2. Promotion to Great Lord - Marth Strategy Notes
  3. Marth/Lucina Frame Data
  4. Marth Data
  5. Crescent Slash is a guaranteed Grab Release Combo on short characters
I feel like I'm probably missing something. Do you guys know of anything else that could be added? It can also be mentioned in the thread at a later date and updated accordingly but I want to start strong with the initial release :).

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Alright so I compiled a list of the information threads for Marth. These include:
  4. Marth Data
I feel like I'm probably missing something. Do you guys know of anything else that could be added? It can also be mentioned in the thread at a later date and updated accordingly but I want to start strong with the initial release :).
Hmm, Im thinking video threads from both sides would be quite beneficial for learning the plays we talk about all the time. Its convenient enough that there are two threads for Marth/Lucina videos, so that will be rather useful for competitive play learning.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have seen a lot of players on there who are pretty nice,but I don't really get along with most of them sadly.
You get this from one thread that was clearly us dealing with spam? I cordially invite you to come over to our social thread and hang out with us. I promise that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You get this from one thread that was clearly us dealing with spam? I cordially invite you to come over to our social thread and hang out with us. I promise that you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I'm not sure I agree he'll be 'pleasantly' surprised, but it is true that if you approach us with the right mindset, our ways seem much more ...agreeable.

Cordially? Really? Don't you dare go soft on me.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
*sigh

I'm really about to unsubscribe to every thread in the Marth forums aside from the ones I made. Seeing people cry about Marth instead of just switching to another character is annoying and doesnt do **** for his metagame.

No one wants too see you ***** and moan about nerfs. Just pick a better character and be ****ing done with it.

vato_break

Smash Master
I'm not complaining about the nerfs, I just said marth is ass. He's still fun though! Essentially I am embracing marth in this game, lol. What do you expect from a general marth discussion? If you want discussion on how to improve your character I'm pretty sure there are threads on the boards that already do that. No need to get worked up over nothing LOL.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
*sigh

I'm really about to unsubscribe to every thread in the Marth forums aside from the ones I made. Seeing people cry about Marth instead of just switching to another character is annoying and doesnt do **** for his metagame.

No one wants too see you ***** and moan about nerfs. Just pick a better character and be ****ing done with it.

It's the reality we live with, and it's probably not going to stop anytime soon ^^" Better to filter through and look for those in need instead - that's what I usually do xD But seriously, even with the people that complain about Marth being bad and such, there are still people who legitimately still seek help to use him. Even through just helping one or two, even if they complain at first, we're doing our part and representing Marth as he should be. Marth's strength and character is of his own, and we choose to main him for those qualities and nothing more.

I'm not complaining about the nerfs, I just said marth is ***. He's still fun though! Essentially I am embracing marth in this game, lol. What do you expect from a general marth discussion? If you want discussion on how to improve your character I'm pretty sure there are threads on the boards that already do that. No need to get worked up over nothing LOL.
Not helping dude ^^" Calling him that still is like saying he's weak, so not everyone takes kindly to the repeated criticisms. Its good you're still up to learning on how to use him, but trust me, insulting the character won't get you far with some ^^" Just giving a piece of advice, as dicussions like this thread is open to both sides of the argument here

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
*sigh

Anyone want a character to complain about, go over to the Samus boards. Let's develop Marth and the meta before deciding he is not a viable character.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Alright, honestly you guys are the types people I would get along with if I have known them for a while,but I guess I just need to do like what you said so I can not feel so offended whether you mean it or not, though I guess this is the internet, so people usually don't mean what they say.....

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
  4. Marth Data
The MU thread. Though, its kind of disjointed. We may wish for a better MU thread to be made.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
The MU thread. Though, its kind of disjointed. We may wish for a better MU thread to be made.
I was going to,but then you guys told me that there already is an MU thread. I feel like an MU thread should be more in the form of a guide where the OP tells you all the info in one place, without having to scroll through a bunch of posts. I can make something like that if the mods approve me doing so, even though there already is one.

Top Bottom