• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Segata Sanshiro Forces You to Play the Sega Saturn! Please Vote Now!

Did I do a good job on this thread? It's my first try.

• Total voters

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Sega's True Defender

Who Is He?
Segata Sanshiro is the infamous character from the Japanese Sega commercials made to get the Sega Saturn to sell.
Why Should I Vote for Him?
Does this answer your question? ( ;
He's an awesome character who'd have an incredibly weird but unique moveset. I'll answer some of your criticisms and questions.
"He's not a video game character, so he shouldn't be in Smash"
He has his own video game:
He's also had cameos in many other games as well:
That's him riding the nuke...Yup. He rides nukes.

And while it may be argued he's more known for his TV appearances (which is true) think about it like this:
He's a character who's only been a main protagonist for one game and was made solely to sell the Sega Saturn. Sounds a lot like a certain character in the game doesn't it? (It's the robot)
"He looks like a Ryu clone"
You obviously did not look at that first video did you? ( ;
"Would Nintendo want another Sega character though?"
Why did they want 2 Capcom characters?
"His Name Is Weird"
It's actually a play on the Japanese words Sega Saturn shiro, which translates to "Play the Sega Saturn"

Moveset
  • Synopsis: Segata would have a very different gameplay style depending on his down special. It involves him either wearing or not wearing a giant Sega Saturn on his back. When he wears the Saturn on his back, he's a heavyweight slow character with slightly different moves and stronger attacks, while when he doesn't wear the Saturn, he's a fast midweight, with a slightly different moveset and weaker attacks. Wearing the Saturn also gives him the weakness of having larger hitboxes.
  • Weight: Mid class without Sega Saturn (About as much as Shulk or Link) Heavyweight with Sega Saturn (As heavy as Bowser)
  • Speed: High without Sega Saturn (Right behind Little Mac) Slow with Sega Saturn (As fast as DeDeDee)
  • Air Speed: Mid class without Sega Saturn (Shulk) Low class with Sega Saturn (About as fast as Link)
  • Jump Height: Mid class without Sega Saturn (Shulk) Low class with Sega Saturn (About as high as Link)
  • Neutral: (Without Sega Saturn) A 2 jab combo with his fists. 7% damage (With Sega Saturn) A 3 jab combo where Segata swings a Saturn controller by its chord allowing for a longer range and damage than without the Saturn. 11% damage
  • Side Tilt: (Without Saturn) A judo kick. 6% damage (With Saturn) A judo kick that's slightly slower. 7% damage
  • Up Tilt: (Without Saturn) Upward kick. 5% damage (With Saturn) Slight swing of a Saturn controller by the chord upward. 9% damage
  • Down Neutral: (Without Saturn) Fast kick to the leg. 5% damage (With Saturn) Segata swings the entire Saturn sweeping the opponents legs. 10% damage
  • Up Air: (Without Saturn) Segata swings a clone of himself upward by the arms for an extended attack. (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn controller upward
  • Neutral Air: (Without Saturn) Segata kicks forward in the air, similar to Mario (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn controller in a spinning motion. The move is similar to Mewtwo's neutral air
  • Down Air: (Without Saturn) Sega does kicks down off of a clone causing a sort of projectile, while the move launches him upward. As soon as the Segata clone hits the ground, it disappears. This move can only performed in the air once (With Saturn) Segata uses the Saturn as a weight, similar to Bowser's down air
  • Forward Air: (Without Saturn) Segata swings a clone forward, before it disappears (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn forward.
  • Back Air: (Without Saturn) Segata swings a clone backward, before it disappears. (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn backward
  • Neutral B: (Without Saturn) Segata roundhouse kicks a baseball as a projectile, but the only way it'll shoot is if you time the kick properly (With Saturn) Segata summons a random character from the Saturn to perform an attack. This ranges from Ulala appearing and shooting the opponent three times, Akira from Virtua Fighter 3 jab comboing the opponent, and Nights twirling into the opponent. This move can only be performed again after 8 seconds.
  • Side B: (Both forms) Segata grabs the opponent similarly to Bowser, and can judo throw them either left or right. When the opponent hits the ground, the enemy is caught in two small explosions similar to Link's bombs, that cause a stun like state that can lead into combos.
  • Up B: (Both forms) Segata is launched by a Segata clone tossing him up, before the clone disappears. When Segata does this while wearing the Saturn, the jump height is lower.
  • Down B: Segata summons the Sega Saturn to wear, which like I said changes some of his moves, and his gameplay style. If you press Down B again while wearing the Saturn, Segata will get rid of it by tossing it. The Saturn will then play a role similar to both Wario's Bike and Pac-Man's fire hydrant where if Segata presses Down B right next to it, he'll put it back on. Otherwise anyone can hit and launch the Saturn at other enemies as it's left alone on the ground. It's unbreakable and can only be gotten rid of by launching it off stage. Segata will be able to summon another Saturn 16 seconds later.
  • Final Smash: Segata summons a nuke similar to the Blue Falcon and anyone hit by it is taken to a small cutscene where an army of Segata's clones ride nukes onto the opponent
Where Can I Vote for Him
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
Remember, that's Segata Sanshiro ( ;

Supporter List:
KeyFortune
Hero's Shade
SleuthMechanism
MainJPW
Azure Warrior
MacDaddyNook
smashkirby
BluePikmin11

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Segata Sanshiro is amazing but i fear would be OP as hell. I mean, nobody can stand up segata sanshiro! Just LOOK at what he does!

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Segata Sanshiro is amazing but i fear would be OP as hell. I mean, nobody can stand up segata sanshiro! Just LOOK at what he does!
Right? He's like the original Chuck Norris :pimp:

Anyway, I discussed some of his weaknesses in the gameplay synopsis in case you want to see.

Also welcome! Shall I add you to the supporter list?:bee:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
While it is nice that Segata Sanshiro appeared in Sonic all stars racing transformed on Wii U, I doubt that this guy would be worthy to being added in due to the gimmick of the sega santurn being carried.

Good luck getting the support thread going.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
While it is nice that Segata Sanshiro appeared in Sonic all stars racing transformed on Wii U, I doubt that this guy would be worthy to being added in due to the gimmick of the sega santurn being carried.

Good luck getting the support thread going.
I don't think that him wearing the Sega Saturn ruins his chances. Otherwise Sonic wouldn't be in the game in the first place.

Thank you.:oneeye: I also hope things go well for you and Tamagon

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Right? He's like the original Chuck Norris :pimp:

Anyway, I discussed some of his weaknesses in the gameplay synopsis in case you want to see.

Also welcome! Shall I add you to the supporter list?:bee:
I saw. the saturn gimmick is definitely an interesting choice.You know what? Sure. definitely the best possible second sega rep.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I was offline for a while. Welcome to you both, JPW & AzureWarrior!!!:oneeye:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
This takes me back to the Pre-Brawl days when I was first introduced to him. Count me in.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sega's True Defender

Who Is He?
Segata Sanshiro is the infamous character from the Japanese Sega commercials made to get the Sega Saturn to sell.
Why Should I Vote for Him?
Does this answer your question? ( ;
He's an awesome character who'd have an incredibly weird but unique moveset. I'll answer some of your criticisms and questions.
"He's not a video game character, so he shouldn't be in Smash"
He has his own video game:
He's also had cameos in many other games as well:
That's him riding the nuke...Yup. He rides nukes.

And while it may be argued he's more known for his TV appearances (which is true) think about it like this:
He's a character who's only been a main protagonist for one game and was made solely to sell the Sega Saturn. Sounds a lot like a certain character in the game doesn't it? (It's the robot)
"He looks like a Ryu clone"
You obviously did not look at that first video did you? ( ;
"Would Nintendo want another Sega character though?"
Why did they want 2 Capcom characters?
"His Name Is Weird"
It's actually a play on the Japanese words Sega Saturn shiro, which translates to "Play the Sega Saturn"

Moveset
  • Synopsis: Segata would have a very different gameplay style depending on his down special. It involves him either wearing or not wearing a giant Sega Saturn on his back. When he wears the Saturn on his back, he's a heavyweight slow character with slightly different moves and stronger attacks, while when he doesn't wear the Saturn, he's a fast midweight, with a slightly different moveset and weaker attacks. Wearing the Saturn also gives him the weakness of having larger hitboxes.
  • Weight: Mid class without Sega Saturn (About as much as Shulk or Link) Heavyweight with Sega Saturn (As heavy as Bowser)
  • Speed: High without Sega Saturn (Right behind Little Mac) Slow with Sega Saturn (As fast as DeDeDee)
  • Air Speed: Mid class without Sega Saturn (Shulk) Low class with Sega Saturn (About as fast as Link)
  • Jump Height: Mid class without Sega Saturn (Shulk) Low class with Sega Saturn (About as high as Link)
  • Neutral: (Without Sega Saturn) A 2 jab combo with his fists. 7% damage (With Sega Saturn) A 3 jab combo where Segata swings a Saturn controller by its chord allowing for a longer range and damage than without the Saturn. 11% damage
  • Side Tilt: (Without Saturn) A judo kick. 6% damage (With Saturn) A judo kick that's slightly slower. 7% damage
  • Up Tilt: (Without Saturn) Upward kick. 5% damage (With Saturn) Slight swing of a Saturn controller by the chord upward. 9% damage
  • Down Neutral: (Without Saturn) Fast kick to the leg. 5% damage (With Saturn) Segata swings the entire Saturn sweeping the opponents legs. 10% damage
  • Up Air: (Without Saturn) Segata swings a clone of himself upward by the arms for an extended attack. (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn controller upward
  • Neutral Air: (Without Saturn) Segata kicks forward in the air, similar to Mario (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn controller in a spinning motion. The move is similar to Mewtwo's neutral air
  • Down Air: (Without Saturn) Sega does kicks down off of a clone causing a sort of projectile, while the move launches him upward. As soon as the Segata clone hits the ground, it disappears. This move can only performed in the air once (With Saturn) Segata uses the Saturn as a weight, similar to Bowser's down air
  • Forward Air: (Without Saturn) Segata swings a clone forward, before it disappears (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn forward.
  • Back Air: (Without Saturn) Segata swings a clone backward, before it disappears. (With Saturn) Segata swings the Saturn backward
  • Neutral B: (Without Saturn) Segata roundhouse kicks a baseball as a projectile, but the only way it'll shoot is if you time the kick properly (With Saturn) Segata summons a random character from the Saturn to perform an attack. This ranges from Ulala appearing and shooting the opponent three times, Akira from Virtua Fighter 3 jab comboing the opponent, and Nights twirling into the opponent. This move can only be performed again after 8 seconds.
  • Side B: (Both forms) Segata grabs the opponent similarly to Bowser, and can judo throw them either left or right. When the opponent hits the ground, the enemy is caught in two small explosions similar to Link's bombs, that cause a stun like state that can lead into combos.
  • Up B: (Both forms) Segata is launched by a Segata clone tossing him up, before the clone disappears. When Segata does this while wearing the Saturn, the jump height is lower.
  • Down B: Segata summons the Sega Saturn to wear, which like I said changes some of his moves, and his gameplay style. If you press Down B again while wearing the Saturn, Segata will get rid of it by tossing it. The Saturn will then play a role similar to both Wario's Bike and Pac-Man's fire hydrant where if Segata presses Down B right next to it, he'll put it back on. Otherwise anyone can hit and launch the Saturn at other enemies as it's left alone on the ground. It's unbreakable and can only be gotten rid of by launching it off stage. Segata will be able to summon another Saturn 16 seconds later.
  • Final Smash: Segata summons a nuke similar to the Blue Falcon and anyone hit by it is taken to a small cutscene where an army of Segata's clones ride nukes onto the opponent
Where Can I Vote for Him
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
Remember, that's Segata Sanshiro ( ;

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd................I support him.:p Can I be added to the support list please?

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I don't particularly want Segata Sanshiro in Smash nor do I really think he has much chance due to his origins in commercials, but I'm really glad that this support thread exists!

D

Deleted member

Never going to happen.

That being said, if he were to get in, I'd build a time machine, go back in time and find a way to pre-order him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't really remember much about a certain interview where Sakurai laughed at the idea of Goku and Spongebob being popular on Miiverse, but wasn't Segata quite popular in the Japanese Miiverse community as well?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Of course, he's not all that likely, but still, the very idea could be unique (and HILARIOUS!:joyful:) for Smash! Still, Sakurai, and maybe even Nintendo AND SEGA as a whole, would probably give the one response I'd expect to hear: :4miibrawl:

D

Deleted member

Still, Sakurai, and maybe even Nintendo AND SEGA as a whole, would probably give the one response I'd expect to hear: :4miibrawl:
Well, Sakurai did say something on the order of "that's what Mii Fighters are for".
Perhaps we may get a Segata costume, which (if I may bring in a baseless theory) could be why the Akira costume is blocky like the original Virtua Fighter. To avoid confusion between the Akira outfit and the Segata outfit.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, Sakurai did say something on the order of "that's what Mii Fighters are for".
Perhaps we may get a Segata costume, which (if I may bring in a baseless theory) could be why the Akira costume is blocky like the original Virtua Fighter. To avoid confusion between the Akira outfit and the Segata outfit.
Oh....wow! That's actually not TOO baseless of a theory. That makes quite a bit of legit sense.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Never going to happen.

That being said, if he were to get in, I'd build a time machine, go back in time and find a way to pre-order him.
Eh. I know it's more than unlikely but I still wanted to make the thread anyway. It'd be awesome having him in

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Eh, the only way most people would distinguish it from an Akira costume would be the wacky hair Segata has.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Of course, he's not all that likely, but still, the very idea could be unique (and HILARIOUS!:joyful:) for Smash! Still, Sakurai, and maybe even Nintendo AND SEGA as a whole, would probably give the one response I'd expect to hear: :4miibrawl:
No. Anything but:4miibrawl::crying:

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
I don't really remember much about a certain interview where Sakurai laughed at the idea of Goku and Spongebob being popular on Miiverse, but wasn't Segata quite popular in the Japanese Miiverse community as well?
Wow. Really? That's awesome. I'd love to meet the community so bad now.

Wow. I just made a quadruple post. I apologize....

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Segata in Project X Zone 2....My goodness. Segata being in Smash....Well, I would hope Hiroshi Fujioka and SEGA would give permission top Nintendo to use his likeness. Seeing Segata fighting Nintendo's All-Stars alongside Sonic the Hedgehog...If not Segata, I'd take Tails, Arle Nadja, NiGHTS, AiAi, Amigo, and a multitude of SEGA characters in Smash. I'll bring them up later, since they escape me at the moment...

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Segata in Project X Zone 2....My goodness. Segata being in Smash....Well, I would hope Hiroshi Fujioka and SEGA would give permission top Nintendo to use his likeness. Seeing Segata fighting Nintendo's All-Stars alongside Sonic the Hedgehog...If not Segata, I'd take Tails, Arle Nadja, NiGHTS, AiAi, Amigo, and a multitude of SEGA characters in Smash. I'll bring them up later, since they escape me at the moment...
Eh, there's only one other Sega Rep I find acceptable, and she's a 2nd party anyway.

Top Bottom