• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

secret characters

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
should they get revealed this time around( in secret tags of course)? Like sakurai says they be all over the internet anyway.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Since I really don't care about spoilers (especially in fighting games), I would like it if they reveal the secret characters before the game's launch. I would like to know the whole roster before buying the game.

toadee

Smash Cadet
I would like to know the whole roster before buying the game.
Yup. Also, in fighting games, knowing what you will unlock doesn't give away any spoilers for any sort of story line, so I don't really see the point in not knowing who is going to be in the roster.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Since I really don't care about spoilers (especially in fighting games), I would like it if they reveal the secret characters before the game's launch. I would like to know the whole roster before buying the game.

I agree. The only games I don't care about spoilers are in fighting games. I want to know all the damn characters!

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
If i was given a choice, i would pick to not know the secret characters because i would want the reaction of the "CHALLENGER APPROACHING" and going crazy when i saw who it was. But that is not going to happen because I would have to stay away from basically all social media

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
If i was given a choice, i would pick to not know the secret characters because i would want the reaction of the "CHALLENGER APPROACHING" and going crazy when i saw who it was. But that is not going to happen because I would have to stay away from basically all social media
you would have the same reaction to it, revealed on the site just a lot earlyer

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yup, feel that way too, but I guess we'll have to wait for the Japanese leaks to roll in.

BlindFox

Smash Journeyman
That Would be awesome. Like you're are playing and suddenly..

And BANG! There you have, Ridley or another fan-requested character shows up! That'd be cool... :]

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I rather not know about the secret characters before buying the game because it would only take away the excitement, experience, and one of the reasons to even buy the game. Knowing ever character reveal before buying the game would cause losing interests in it ahead of time and boredom.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
We're probably going to need to wait for the Japanese leaks, like Wariofan said. Sakurai will probably handle the unlockables the same way he did Brawl.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I say the more surprises we get, the better! I don't want to buy this game already knowing all of the characters.

Conis

Smash Rookie
I'd rather secret characters just not be a thing anymore.

As fun as it is to not know about some new characters beforehand, it's pretty much impossible to not spoil the roster before you get the game, especially with the Internet. The effort you have to go through in order to dodge spoilers (avoiding forums and pretty much any gaming-related sites, making anyone you know who is into Smash not tell you anything, etc.) is simply not worth it.

So yeah, I'd like all of the characters to be revealed on the site. Not much reason to bother with spoiler tags, though - you're gonna find out pretty quickly either way whether you want to or not, unfortunately. At least the situation with Brawl (revealing a bunch of new characters and expecting a similar amount of unlockable new characters, leading to disappointment) can be avoided.

peeup

Smash Lord
It's like knowing what you're getting for Christmas several months early. Which is stupid and boring and it kills half of the joy of the experience. I wanna know what the starting roster is, I want zero knowledge of the secret characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm getting a LOT of signals to buying a 3DS over a Wii U... so if Mega Man is all "I" am getting for SSB4 as far wanted characters go, then I'm sticking with the 3DS version.

All it takes to make me buy the Wii U version is having Little Mac playable. So naturally, I want to know about the secret characters early on.

If I'm lucky enough to get Little Mac as a STARTER Newcomer, and I don't need to resort to the hidden character list... Then I'll TRY to keep it that way, lol. So there is some surprise left.
This is why I've toned down my wishfulness of having Mike in SSB4, so I don't go through the awful time of spoiling everything, and end up even more disappointed (.... ROB). I can at least settle with a more realistic and probable character, and keep the rest a secret.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Yeah honestly, I'd like them to stay secret. I remember the Melee days when I would unlock new characters. I was too young and the internet was not nearly as popular as it is now, so the reactions were just great.

Seriously seeing this as a kid:

Priceless.

I want to have that same excited reaction, being in the moment of playing and wham. Challenger approaching...

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Tell ya what, if Ridley gets revealed, I will stay away from all spoilers after that. So if that happens, you'll know why I disappeared.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
ridley has a high chance of being unlockable and I don't think my heart can take that long a wait

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I so hope he is, he is my single most biggest want if he is in the rest is bonus

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Tell ya what, if Ridley gets revealed, I will stay away from all spoilers after that. So if that happens, you'll know why I disappeared.
RealTalk i might 2nd you on that BruH.

Hell if Mewtwo gets confirmed i might do the same. I still wanna hang on these Boards though but with no spoilers...yh basicly impossible....

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Am I the only one that wanted people like Meta Knight, Wario, Olimar, and Lucas as unlockables instead for this game? Olimar pretty much ruined my chances on that happening. :(

I'd rather know who the secret characters are after I get the game. But knowing myself. I'll spoil it before we get it here (damn you Japan).

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice
I would want to see all the characters before buying, but it most likely wont happen, I dont mind either way.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Yeah honestly, I'd like them to stay secret. I remember the Melee days when I would unlock new characters. I was too young and the internet was not nearly as popular as it is now, so the reactions were just great.

Seriously seeing this as a kid:

Priceless.

I want to have that same excited reaction, being in the moment of playing and wham. Challenger approaching...
I remember the night I got Mewtwo. Totally caught me and my nephew (who is two years younger than me) by surprise and I grabbed his controller XD

I'd rather let them stay secret. The problem is these days is the unlockables leaks are everywhere. It's hard to avoid for two months without getting the game.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Okay I've gotta ask, how did you people who kept the secret characters secret keep them secret? Whenever I got a new smash game, one of the first things I'd do was look up what all the secret characters were and how to unlock them. How do you know how to unlock the characters if you don't even know what said characters are? The method for unlocking them generally isn't particularly intuitive.

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice
Okay I've gotta ask, how did you people who kept the secret characters secret keep them secret? Whenever I got a new smash game, one of the first things I'd do was look up what all the secret characters were and how to unlock them. How do you know how to unlock the characters if you don't even know what said characters are? The method for unlocking them generally isn't particularly intuitive.
I just played the game and all the stuff that came with it, its fun.
You'll eventually unlock them all this way, I think it adds to it. I always thought looking up how to unlock them to be cheap. I did know the whole roster though......it was hard not to.

Top Bottom