• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Character for Samus?

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
We can lie to ourselves all we want, but in reality, we all know that IC's have a HUGE disadvantage against Samus. So, in a nutshell, what character should one pick as a backup, and obviously train with beforehand, if your opponent picks Samus (or another long-ranger)?

Spontaneous Spaz

Smash Cadet
i use doc vs samus

he's got the cape to reflect all of samus' projectiles, and his fair is like an auto-kill v samus

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Or you could strengthen yourself as an IC player to become skilled at handling even your worst matchups.

Crazy talk? Maybe.

Plus this hardly belongs in this forum if you're going to say, "Okay IC players, let's talk about matchups versus Samus with characters that are NOT the Ice Climbers."

Spontaneous Spaz

Smash Cadet
This is the reason I love playing against a good Peach.
and the reason why i hate playing good samus, i get wrecked every time.

in my crew, our top player is PSYRUS, he's got a combo video, which i'm in..., but needless to say, he's got mad edge guard skills. and after only like 3 hits from samus and IC gets knocked offstage, w/o a nana to help him. so normally when i verse his samus, i'll do a couple games w/ IC just to try and improve a bit, then change to doc or falco (my other 2 mains)

getting wrecked EVERY TIME isn't much fun

D20

Smash Lord
Just as Samus beats down the ICs, Captain Falcon destroys Samus. However, CF takes a very high level of skill and speed to use correctly. If your secondary is CF, someone who mains Samus will probably still win. With that said, try Sheik. She's easy to pick up to begin with, and if you're only using her for one matchup, you should be able to master that matchup in record time.

Going with Marth could be very tricky. Edgeguarding Samus is rough if you don't have anything to throw or shoot at her, and since Marth doesn't have any vertical killing moves, it makes the matchup even rougher. Don't get me wrong, a skilled Marth will get the job done, but like with CF... if he isn't your main, it will be a real battle.

Impp

Smash Ace
Zelda fairs (pun) alright against samus, and she's like the easiest character to pick up, and play well with in a short amount of time. But the better Samus's will still probably win, and like Ice Climbers, she'll be edge guarded easy as hell. Zelda also doesn't have a reliable vertical KO move, meaning you'll have to rack up the damage or edge guard pretty good to win, so it's still an up hill battle, but if you're losing badly to less than expert Samus with IC's, Zelda might be the way to go, because you won't have to devote alot of time with her. Zelda supposely (according to the Zelda forums, they might be a ltitle biased...) does okay against Peach as well, but I wouldn't know..I don't fight many good Peaches.. She also can pwn Jiggly Puffs. I don't know if IC's got a problem with Jiggly Puff, though.

And I'll defend the thread being in the right forum because it is an analysis of Ice Climbers weaknesses, and which characters make up for them.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Crazy talk? NO.

I made a firm decision to drop nearly all of my characters in favor of improving my ICs. I will take my ICs, with confidence, into any match. Only with that confidence can I win. The Samus player in my crew (DRGN, my brother) knows my game through and through, and yet my ICs still go perfectly even with his Samus, and he in fact opts for Zelda instead. Keep in mind I do mean Zelda, not Shiek.

As of late I play only ICs, Pichu, and Falco/Link for fun. Playing a fewer number of characters helped me improve much faster.

E_Ress

Smash Cadet
I either use Marth or Shiek if I'm having trouble with a Samus in a tournament.

Otherwise I try to get as much IC vs. Samus practice as possible.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Samus' most difficult match-ups:

1) Sheik
2) Captain Falcon
3) Ganondorf
4) Fox
5) Peach
6) Falco
7) Marth

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
I thought the list would look like

sheik
marth
ganon
CF
Peach
Falco
Fox (I'm pretty sure foxes don't like samuses)

then again, I'm rather noobish when it comes to samuses match - ups, I just get owned by sheiks and marths all day long

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
really? i thought samus had an advantage on peach (cuz of tilts and missles). some people use samus as a peach counter
I used to think so, but I've come to realize that Peach goes through Samus' projectiles like nothing (any aerial or dash attack), and while both have godly recoveries, Samus can't really edge-guard Peach anywere near as well as Peach can edge-guard Samus. Samus' vital crouch cancel is also useless in this match-up. Favor is probably 5-4 with Peach, so only a slight advantage, but good overall priority and edge-guarding capabilities.

I would have thought Marth would be higher up on that list. :ohwell:
Well, there's nobody on that list that's really less of a problem for Samus, so I think that's about right. Forward-smash happy marths get hit by tilts from waveshielding. Fair-spamming marths gets crouch cancelled dsmashed or up-b'd from shield. Samus can edge-guard marth effectively with nair. Samus' only problem is if she can't get away from Marth and gets stuck dealing with a lot of tilts, which can be coutnered with her own tilt on the ground. I'd say 5-5 even match.

Top Bottom