• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SDCC Tournament

makegoodchoices

Smash Rookie
NNID
zimdohicky
3DS FC
0748-3111-1596
Didn't see a thread about this so I thought I'd start one.

The build of SSB3D in the upcoming tournament is the E3 build, so we aren't going to learn anything new about the game there, sadly.

(my apologies if this was already posted elsewhere, but I couldn't see anything on it)

makegoodchoices

Smash Rookie
NNID
zimdohicky
3DS FC
0748-3111-1596
This one isn't an invitational. I'm pretty sure anyone who signs up can play in it, but there's limited slots.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Didn't see a thread about this so I thought I'd start one.

The build of SSB3D in the upcoming tournament is the E3 build, so we aren't going to learn anything new about the game there, sadly.

(my apologies if this was already posted elsewhere, but I couldn't see anything on it)
Are there any sources for this info?

Last edited:

Soul.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a bummer that we won't be seeing some Captain Falcon or newcomer action, but hey, atleast the players will experience the game. This also shows that the 3DS version has potential to be just as competitive as the Wii U version.

zCrea

Smash Rookie
What kills me is not knowing the exact time. I have some panels to attend to D:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
I'll be there!! I'm pretty excited. I believe it starts at noon. That said, I plan to be there the night prior to ensure I get in, haha. If you see a guy dressed as Ness probably either playing Pokemon on an Animal Crossing 3ds or Layton vs Wright on a black 3ds, you've found me. :3

I don't know who I'm going to play as though. Ness is out... I can either do Samus for some degree of familiarity, or use Villager again. I was pretty impressed with Villager during smashfest, after all...

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Bummer that it's the E3 version. We'll have a hard time gleaning much that we don't already know from that. Oh well, the game's not far from release in Japan!

This also shows that the 3DS version has potential to be just as competitive as the Wii U version.
I don't think a single pre-release tourney says much. From an affordability standpoint it really is an unsustainable community. Smash destroys GCN controllers, but those are reasonably cheap. I sure don't want to have to buy a new 3DS... basically ever. Smash will force me to if I play it enough because my circle pad will eventually wear out. Unfortunately, this means I will be playing very little Smash on 3DS after the Wii U version comes out. I think many people probably have similar plans, and especially the pros who would generate the most hype for a competitive scene.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'd love for the 3DS version to have a healthy community and plenty of tourneys. I just don't think it's likely because of the durability issue.

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
Bummer that it's the E3 version. We'll have a hard time gleaning much that we don't already know from that. Oh well, the game's not far from release in Japan!

I don't think a single pre-release tourney says much. From an affordability standpoint it really is an unsustainable community. Smash destroys GCN controllers, but those are reasonably cheap. I sure don't want to have to buy a new 3DS... basically ever. Smash will force me to if I play it enough because my circle pad will eventually wear out. Unfortunately, this means I will be playing very little Smash on 3DS after the Wii U version comes out. I think many people probably have similar plans, and especially the pros who would generate the most hype for a competitive scene.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'd love for the 3DS version to have a healthy community and plenty of tourneys. I just don't think it's likely because of the durability issue.
Nintendo is notorious for doing repairs inexpensively, and sometimes even free. They're quick about it, too. I remember one time my Wii started making horrible grinding noises. I sent it in and had it back good as new within a week. Nintendo even covered the cost of shipping, so it incurred no cost to me.

In other words, although SSB3D may wear down the circle pad, I sincerely do not believe that it will be a big problem given Nintendo's history with hardware repairs.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Nintendo is notorious for doing repairs inexpensively, and sometimes even free. They're quick about it, too. I remember one time my Wii started making horrible grinding noises. I sent it in and had it back good as new within a week. Nintendo even covered the cost of shipping, so it incurred no cost to me.

In other words, although SSB3D may wear down the circle pad, I sincerely do not believe that it will be a big problem given Nintendo's history with hardware repairs.
Sure, but why would I play a version on a device I'll have to send in for repairs every now and then when I could just play the Wii U version? The choice seems clear to me.

Edit: This is not to mention that the Wii U just has better control options to begin with, durability notwithstanding.

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
Sure, but why would I play a version on a device I'll have to send in for repairs every now and then when I could just play the Wii U version? The choice seems clear to me.

Edit: This is not to mention that the Wii U just has better control options to begin with, durability notwithstanding.
Well, personally, I'd rather be without my 3ds for a week and have free repairs than have to drop hard-earned money on a new controller. (Although, I wonder if Nintendo would repair controllers, too? It only just occurred to me that they might, haha.)

That said, I definitely agree with you that the Wii U has better control options. I've been training myself to remember that L is grab and R is shield in preparation for SDCC ever since the tournament was announced, haha.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Well, personally, I'd rather be without my 3ds for a week and have free repairs than have to drop hard-earned money on a new controller. (Although, I wonder if Nintendo would repair controllers, too? It only just occurred to me that they might, haha.)

That said, I definitely agree with you that the Wii U has better control options. I've been training myself to remember that L is grab and R is shield in preparation for SDCC ever since the tournament was announced, haha.
Yeah, that'd take some getting used to. Pretty awesome that you get to participate, though! Definitely jealous. Be sure to let us know what you think!

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
I certainly will! :)

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Hmm.. It's a 16 hour drive to San Diego for me. I would make the drive to compete, but Comic Con is such a huge event, I would hate to get there and the tournament be full.

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
I'm going with some friends. Not a long drive at all. I don't plan on doing well though the last handheld I played on was gameboy sp Lol.

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
Do we have any information regarding the specific format of the Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS tournament at San Diego Comic Con, such as the number of entrants and the rules?

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
I'm home from the tournament now. Wow.

I had a blast.

That said, this event was terribly disorganized. I won my first match by a landslide, but was disqualified from the second. I sent Nintendo's PR the following email describing my experience in hopes that future events will be better:

"Hello,

I participated in the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS tournament at San Diego Comic Con. Unfortunately, after having waited overnight to be first in line and despite winning my first match, I ended up getting disqualified because I was unable to hear my name being called for my second match over the cacophony of excited gamers. So in case you plan to host another similar event, I would like to make a suggestion that I hope will keep future tournaments running more smoothly.

Please consider using better means of notifying players, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes in advance, that they will soon be in an upcoming match. Some commonly used free tools include:

SMSdash : http://smashboards.com/.../smsdash-run-your-tournament.../
Challonge Match display : http://smashboards.com/.../challonge-match-display.../

Far too many people were disqualified because they were unaware that it was their turn to play. This was not only very disheartening for the affected players-- it also wasted a lot of time. I had a fantastic experience all the same, but I hope that this suggestion will be helpful in making future events even better than yesterday's tournament.

Many thanks for a memorable weekend from an avid fan,
~Joseph Perkins"

I was playing all day yesterday and today, so please feel free to ask questions. <3

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow, sorry to hear it ended up like that. I even remember them calling your name.

I do agree that the tournament could've been organize better but it's still glad to hear you had a great time.

The tournament was amazing for me as well.

D

Deleted member

Do we have another day of the Nintendo Challenge stuff, Smash or not?

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm home from the tournament now. Wow.

I had a blast.

That said, this event was terribly disorganized. I won my first match by a landslide, but was disqualified from the second. I sent Nintendo's PR the following email describing my experience in hopes that future events will be better:

"Hello,

I participated in the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS tournament at San Diego Comic Con. Unfortunately, after having waited overnight to be first in line and despite winning my first match, I ended up getting disqualified because I was unable to hear my name being called for my second match over the cacophony of excited gamers. So in case you plan to host another similar event, I would like to make a suggestion that I hope will keep future tournaments running more smoothly.

Please consider using better means of notifying players, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes in advance, that they will soon be in an upcoming match. Some commonly used free tools include:

SMSdash : http://smashboards.com/.../smsdash-run-your-tournament.../
Challonge Match display : http://smashboards.com/.../challonge-match-display.../

Far too many people were disqualified because they were unaware that it was their turn to play. This was not only very disheartening for the affected players-- it also wasted a lot of time. I had a fantastic experience all the same, but I hope that this suggestion will be helpful in making future events even better than yesterday's tournament.

Many thanks for a memorable weekend from an avid fan,
~Joseph Perkins"

I was playing all day yesterday and today, so please feel free to ask questions. <3
Hey were you in the Ness or Lucas costume and did you win your match as Samus? I think we met and had a good chat all morning before the crack of dawn. I was the guy talking about Ridley and One Piece half the time.

If that was you, sorry about what happened. I remember wondering why I didn't see you again during the tournament.

After I lost in the tournament I decided to have a little fun. Remember this guy in the Mario hat?

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
Hey were you in the Ness or Lucas costume and did you win your match as Samus? I think we met and had a good chat all morning before the crack of dawn. I was the guy talking about Ridley and One Piece half the time.

If that was you, sorry about what happened. I remember wondering why I didn't see you again during the tournament.

After I lost in the tournament I decided to have a little fun. Remember this guy in the Mario hat?

Yes, and yes! That was definitely me. :D

Top Bottom