• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
@ _glook _glook might be the strongest now.

Here's the key to the city. You deserve it. :D

For a SD Remix Lite, PlCo and Kirby hats are probably most important. I don't find the stage changes incredibly important (or even feasible to code?). For menus, I think most people would find some sort of graphical change to the CSS to denote that it's SD Remix as sufficient enough.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.

For a SD Remix Lite, PlCo and Kirby hats are probably most important. I don't find the stage changes incredibly important (or even feasible to code?). For menus, I think most people would find some sort of graphical change to the CSS to denote that it's SD Remix as sufficient enough.
I was meaning to bringing this up earlier but I should mention it now: personally I think the menus deserve some kind of modification that clearly displays the version of SD Remix being played, that, and possibly a color change. If you guys need it, I can help with the menus.
MNCE02-160.png MNCE02-126.png

Last edited:

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to be doing the Kirby cap thing next. I'm hoping that it's being loaded from the same place as other fighter files with a unique ID. Wouldn't that be nice, then I could just leverage my existing patching code. If not... well that means a long reverse engineering process.
As far as PlCo.dat, it constantly changes position in memory. That probably means it's a pointer variable, but the problem is that even if you change the data at this location, things don't seem to change, which tells me the data from this file is loaded somewhere else to be used. I'm thinking it might be easier just to make dol mods (it would be easy for Donkey Kong's invicibility thing for instance, as it's basically just like the ledge invincibility code.
I have no idea how to change the graphics via dol. Those things are probably constantly loaded from memory, so I don't know if that's possible, unless you're talking about changing the color of stuff, like the hand cursor colors. To be honest, graphical hacking is not my forte, and I'm unlikely to be able to figure out how to do that.

I was meaning to bringing this up earlier but I should mention it now: personally I think the menus deserve some kind of modification that clearly displays the version of SD Remix being played, that, and possibly a color change. If you guys need it, I can help with the menus.
View attachment 54659 View attachment 54660
That's pretty sweet. I think it would be pretty good to have a unique menu look for SD Remix.

As a general aside about stages in general, stage files to begin with are pretty massive. Granted, you can shrink down this massiveness by doing the same method as I'm doing with character patches, but the thing is, stage files are an order of magnitude bigger than character files, and their patch files are probably going to be an order of magnitude bigger than character patch files. There's only about 55,000 bytes to work with in the memory card save file, and the character files take up a good chunk of that, and the dol mods are going to take up another good chunk. There's just no space to do it easily. The best bet for stage patches are to hack how the game stores and retrieves SnapShots and leverage the extra space you can get from them. I think Dan was working on doing that, but before this is figured out, it's not really worth thinking about.

I guess this is a good enough opportunity to announce that I'm working on an unofficial offshoot of SD Remix called SD Remix Lite. If you remember your SAT question formats, you can think of it like 20XXTE is to 20XX as SD Remix Lite is to SD Remix. I'm going to have all of the stuff in the current save file I posted with the following planned changed:
  • Fix the rumble menu by changing the location names are read from in memory (if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know to save me some time).
  • Apply the PlCo.dat changes, either converting them to DOL mods or actually figuring out how PlCo.dat works in code.
  • Apply patches to the Kirby Cap files.
  • Default names of "SD R" "EMIX" "LITE".
  • Check to see if the disc is 1.02. If it is, play announcer's "SUCCESS" sound clip. If not, play "FAILURE" sound.
  • Music defaulted to on
  • Rumble defaulted to off
  • Tournament mode goes to debug mode (if anyone knows how to rename the menu item as a dol mod, please let me know)
  • Debug mode rearranged, including credits screen and extra options that I like (banner will change color depending on which ones are on. Includes Wall Bracing, Handicap is Stock Control, Widescreen mode, Ledge Invincibility, C-Stick in 1 Player mode, Tournament Overtime). Color will depend on if none are on, all are on, or some are on.
  • Stage striking enabled
  • Include my Omega/Alpha toggles mod, which applies stage dol mods or loads different stages.
  • I'll be including Snag the Trophies, so I'm going to also apply the "Trophies don't spawn outside of classic mode" code.
  • I'm going to try and get adventure mode Icicle mountain as the omega toggle for Icicle mountain, but so that it doesn't try and switch to the nana/popo battle, and therefore crash.
  • I'll probably include as many stage dol mods as I can as omega toggles.
  • If someone knows how to do it, I'm going to try and make changes to the UI, whether it be changing the text or even just changing the color of various elements. I don't know how to do this, so if no one knows, I'll probably release without this.
Let me know if anybody has any information to help with any of this, as that would be greatly appreciated.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

All the characters should work now. It still doesn't have the stuff I mentioned in the last post though. But I'm sure someone will figure that stuff out, but I think I'm gonna take a break for a while.

Edit: Oh, and a link to the save file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/kym69w3i7n9s07m/SD_Remix_Extra_lite.gci
You just loaded SD Remix ON A MEMORY CARD. ON A GAMECUBE. (Presumably.)

I can't even...this is just...you all understand what this could mean for accessibility, right? RIGHT?

I am in the presence of GENIUSES.

_glook

You just loaded SD Remix ON A MEMORY CARD. ON A GAMECUBE. (Presumably.)
Haha, yes, the footage is from running this on an actual Gamecube. In fact, doing it on Dolphin doesn't really work, because it caches stuff. Even with the flush cache gecko code on, it won't work because the flush cache code only works at certain times, and the cache doesn't flush between nametag exploit and starting a stage, which is an issue because the character patching happens before the stage load.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
During Match @ 4d6554
points to 0x9fe0 in PlCo.dat

To quickly load this pointer,
lwz r5,-0x514c(r13)

Change any values you need at the start of the match relative to this offset. Anything I've attempted to change affects game play immediately.

Haha, yes, the footage is from running this on an actual Gamecube. In fact, doing it on Dolphin doesn't really work, because it caches stuff. Even with the flush cache gecko code on, it won't work because the flush cache code only works at certain times, and the cache doesn't flush between nametag exploit and starting a stage, which is an issue because the character patching happens before the stage load.
With that code, the cache gets flushed when entering the CSS, entering the SSS, entering match, exiting match, exiting out to main menu, etc.

I would guess your problem is due to the fact that you are writing to the RAM after it has flushed the cache for entering a match. So you should be able to just manually branch link into the flush cache function after running your character patch code.

Last edited:

_glook

During Match @ 4d6554
points to 0x9fe0 in PlCo.dat

To quickly load this pointer,
lwz r5,-0x514c(r13)
Thank you! This saved me tons of time! I love you forever!

Edit: Unfortunately, changing DK's damage multiplier on bury doesn't seem to work on the fly. I'm hoping I can just hook into when that value is first written and overwrite it then and hope that the changes apply.

Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Just wanted to say thanks to anyone and everyone involved with making this mod. I downloaded it about two weeks ago and have really enjoyed it.
It's hilarious watching :pichumelee: take down :foxmelee:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I just got SD Remix today and it is AWESOME!!! I enjoy it a lot more than P:M and I agree with you guys' method of balance a lot more. I really wanna get my friends into this so one day it will have a competitive community, even if it's only side events.

Keep up the good work!

404House

Smash Cadet
If anybody has been paying attention, this is what the SD Remix page on SSBWiki looked like a few months ago. This is what it looks like now.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
SD Remix needs more recognition. I don't understand why it is so little-known.
I think its lack of popularity was due to difficulty to install as well as needing a Wii with Homebrew. But, as we know, that's about to change!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
My game seems to crash whenever I select Peach and select the stage. Any idea what could be the problem?
This happened in an older version of SD Remix because the Peach file for 1.00 and 1.02 are incompatible with one another (they're different sizes among other things) and would cause the game to crash.

This should not happen in 3.1 as Peach is no longer modified in any shape or form.

If possible, I suggest you start with a fresh back up of Melee and then reapply the appropriate patches.

If that's not possible, please Private Message me with your original back up's version number (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) and what loading method you're using (DVD/Dolphin or SD/USB) and I'll try to help you from there.

Last edited:

404House

Smash Cadet
The reason for it's popularity being low is because
I think its lack of popularity was due to difficulty to install as well as needing a Wii with Homebrew. But, as we know, that's about to change!
The popularity is arguably low because of (imo, could be wrong) due to Project M usually being called the superior mod. I usually find people like this because people like Melee's physics and the way it's balanced.

I could be wrong, but there is certainly more than one reason. Someone may be able to explain it better.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Yeah the difficulty to install is definitely the biggest reason this game isn't as big as P:M. With P:M you just need to follow maybe 3 steps and you're done.

Since I vastly prefer the gameplay of Melee, I do prefer this Melee mod.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Yeah the difficulty to install is definitely the biggest reason this game isn't as big as P:M. With P:M you just need to follow maybe 3 steps and you're done.
I really doubt that's the main reason, considering how Project M is still vastly more popular than SD Remix in PAL regions (where PM is approximately as difficult to install as SDR).
In the UK many people already have their Wiis modded anyway in order to play Project M (I believe I'm correct in saying that PM is more popular here relative to other Smash games than perhaps anywhere else), the problem is that everyone's too busy playing Project M to bother with SD Remix so it doesn't really make a difference.

That said, I feel like more publicity could improve the situation a lot. Integration with 20XX should be a big deal.
SD Remix has less publicity and a more niche audience, as well as the larger barrier to installation (which barely applies to PAL regions). Very few people in my region even knew that SD Remix existed until I mentioned it, and no-one's decided to play it after they've learned.

Last edited:

_glook

I really doubt that's the main reason, considering how Project M is still vastly more popular than SD Remix in PAL regions (where PM is approximately as difficult to install as SDR).

SD Remix has less publicity and a more niche audience, as well as the larger barrier to installation (which barely applies to PAL regions). Very few people in my region even knew that SD Remix existed until I mentioned it, and no-one's decided to play it after they've learned.
Like most things, there are many reasons, and I think in the case of SD Remix, all of those reasons are individually stopping people from playing.
I find that there's generally a positive reception to SD Remix whenever I bring it to smashfests. The number one reason people have told me directly for not wanting to go forward and play it is the difficulty installing it. It might be because I generally try to sell it as a good experience and people are generally turn on to it by that, but then I tell them about the install process and as soon as I hear "hack your Wii" their attitudes change to no longer wanting to do it.
Also, PM has a lot of other improvements other than just balance, like features, etc. I'm cognizant of the desire for new features and am working to improve the situation with SD Remix Lite.
There's also the desire for new playstyle and characters, but the latter is not doable yet and the former is not something that I personally find I like, because I really like Melee's engine, even with some of its flaws. I guess this is why people say SD Remix is niche because it really only appeals to Melee players, but Melee players are a large group, and I don't know if it's necessarily that small, the group who would play SD Remix.

Also, were the people you were talking to primarily PM players or Melee players? If Melee players, they may not have a hacked system, and that might be a reason they're not playing PM. If they're a PM player, they might be less likely to even want to play Melee to begin with, so there's a bit of selection bias going on, I feel.

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Pichu's dsmash comes out on frame 8 and intangible from frame 8 to 12. Does anyone think this could be used as a sort of parry? I don't play Pichu :/

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
I don't think so. If anything Melee players, even moreso elitists, would love Sakurai to balance Melee. But since he's never gonna do that...SD Remix is the way to go.
Hmm, I don't know...

http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/377i9w/would_you_support_a_rebalanced_melee_hd/

This is a question that was asked fairly recently, and it seems there's quite a lot of differing opinions.

One of the more popular opinions is that Melee shouldn't be rebalanced at all, one of the reasons being because the current amount of viable characters allows people to study those particular match-ups with a certain depth that otherwise wouldn't be probable if every character was viable.

Of course, I don't agree with this opinion. Even if the number of viable characters increased, the depth of knowledge can only grow once there are more characters that are viable. The scene has also gotten stale for me, seeing large numbers of forgettable Foxes and Falcos, and not-so-memorable Marths, that the only reason to even follow the scene now is for those who can truly take their characters to the top, and for those flash-in-the-pans where you see someone with a low tier actually succeed.

Another reason is that people have it in their heads that Melee is sacred. You don't tamper with it, it's the perfect accident. I love Melee, it's probably my most played Smash game ever, but honestly speaking, I just want to see some other characters have a chance, because in the beginning, Smash was about picking my favorite characters from my favorite videogames and kicking butt with them.

It wasn't about, "Which character is the toppest of the tippy top tier?"

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think if SmashBoards would give SDR some actual publicity on the front page, we could get somewhere.

Part of it may be because they don't want to encourage copying Melee (owned or otherwise), but that will change once the Memcard version comes out.

Thank you sooooo much @ _glook _glook ! So are you going to run a business of selling memcards like @Dan Salvato or are you just going to let people with the right equipment distribute it?

_glook

I think if SmashBoards would give SDR some actual publicity on the front page, we could get somewhere.

Part of it may be because they don't want to encourage copying Melee (owned or otherwise), but that will change once the Memcard version comes out.

Thank you sooooo much @ _glook _glook ! So are you going to run a business of selling memcards like @Dan Salvato or are you just going to let people with the right equipment distribute it?
I'm not going to be distributing it like Dan is. I have neither the means nor the desire to do it like that (but I don't think Dan's thing is a business because he's selling at cost, which means no profits). I'm personally going to be distributing it to people I know and and smashfests, but only if they want it on their memory cards.

The best part about SD Remix Lite, and all memory card hacks for that matter, is that you can load it up with the game and then take the memory card out, and it'll still work because all the data has already been loaded. For all the discs that are 1.02 at a tournament/smashfest, you could presumably run an SDR tournament with just one memory card.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I respect your take glook but I think it'd be cool if you did something more large-scale to get the word out of this cool mod. Nothing wrong with just giving it out at Smashfests and you don't have to do IE's method by any means, but if only there were a way to increase awareness of SDR...

Vigihes

Smash Cadet
I know about this mod only because I searched it. I was thinking about the future of Project M and I believe that Nintendo wont let PM be streamed. SD remix can't be forbidden at tournaments because its only a balanced version of Melee whereas PM is very different from Brawl and Melee. This is why SD remix is probably the future, Melee is too 20XX now.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm not going to be distributing it like Dan is. I have neither the means nor the desire to do it like that (but I don't think Dan's thing is a business because he's selling at cost, which means no profits). I'm personally going to be distributing it to people I know and and smashfests, but only if they want it on their memory cards.

The best part about SD Remix Lite, and all memory card hacks for that matter, is that you can load it up with the game and then take the memory card out, and it'll still work because all the data has already been loaded. For all the discs that are 1.02 at a tournament/smashfest, you could presumably run an SDR tournament with just one memory card.
Interesting... So it will unlock all characters and stages, too?

I respect your take glook but I think it'd be cool if you did something more large-scale to get the word out of this cool mod. Nothing wrong with just giving it out at Smashfests and you don't have to do IE's method by any means, but if only there were a way to increase awareness of SDR...
Let's PM one of the front-page writers like @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill or @Omni . The front page acknowledged the 20XXTE hack by @Dan Salvato, so they're at least not above acknowledging memory card hacks (ones that require ripping/downloading an ISO are probably a different story).

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I know about this mod only because I searched it. I was thinking about the future of Project M and I believe that Nintendo wont let PM be streamed. SD remix can't be forbidden at tournaments because its only a balanced version of Melee whereas PM is very different from Brawl and Melee. This is why SD remix is probably the future, Melee is too 20XX now.
this is completely incorrect

Quillion

Smash Hero
SD Remix can still be forbidden because it's a "derivative work", and as of now, Nintendo only tolerates derivative works that doesn't have anything to do with making fangames or mods (which get a cold stare at best and a C&D at worst).

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hi, what can I do for you?
We'd like a little publicity for Melee SD Remix. An big update for it is gearing up, the game is no longer a ***** to install, and @ _glook _glook is developing a version that can be easily distributed on memory cards.

You reported on @Dan Salvato 's 20XXTE Memory card mod a while back, and since this won't require ripping/downloading an ISO, you should be safe.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
We'd like a little publicity for Melee SD Remix. An big update for it is gearing up, the game is no longer a ***** to install, and @ _glook _glook is developing a version that can be easily distributed on memory cards.

You reported on @Dan Salvato 's 20XXTE Memory card mod a while back, and since this won't require ripping/downloading an ISO, you should be safe.
100% down to make that happen! If someone involved would like to PM me some of the details of the update and when it's set to come out, I can ask questions and get a nice article ready to go :)

_glook

100% down to make that happen! If someone involved would like to PM me some of the details of the update and when it's set to come out, I can ask questions and get a nice article ready to go :)
Thank you! I've let sdremix_troubleshooter know about your offer. We'll try and get back to you soon :).

Top Bottom