• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SCOTU's Frame Data Q&A + Request Thread

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Sorry, appparently you misunderstood me... I meant to ask whether you can grab them out of the shine if the shine hits....:embarrass
i think he answered you the way you were answering the questoin. yes, you can grab them after the shine hits. no, they cannot grab you between the shine and grab. yes, they can escape the grab if they roll or spotdodge.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
i think he answered you the way you were answering the questoin. yes, you can grab them after the shine hits. no, they cannot grab you between the shine and grab. yes, they can escape the grab if they roll or spotdodge.
Well no. What scotu posted was frame data when the shine hits the shield. So not what I asked for.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you can dash cancel a shine (dash>crouch>shine -- Slower), or you can jump cancel a shine (dash>jump>shine -- Harder). From those shines, because of the momentum, you can combo into a jc grab, or jc usmash on every character.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
you can dash cancel a shine (dash>crouch>shine -- Slower), or you can jump cancel a shine (dash>jump>shine -- Harder). From those shines, because of the momentum, you can combo into a jc grab, or jc usmash on every character.
I know about dash cancelling and jcing shines, I just wasn't sure that's what you meant. Apparently I had everything right then. Couldn't this be useful in comboing Luigi (if, as you say, it works on every chara.) because you can grab him after a shine then, and don't have to resort to shine->illusion?

Thank you, Scotu 4 prez.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you have to jump, then after 1 frame minimum, and at max the number of frames of your jump timing - 1.
for instance, for fox, it's
1 jump
2 earliest smash
3 latest smash

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok sco2 i have a question.
If you press L/R when your jamming buttons to get out of a grab, does that count against your 1 chance to tech every second?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Quick Public Service Announcement

The following characters have dash grabs that come out faster than their JC'd grabs:
(character - minimum # of frames faster: assumes perfect JC)
Peach - 1
ICs - 1
Yoshi - 8
Zelda - 1
Samus - 1

The following characters have dash grabs that get put away faster than their JC'd grabs:
(character - # of frames faster: assumes perfect JC)
Yoshi - 10
Link - 11
Y. Link - 11
Samus - 21

The following characters have dash grabs that come out at the same time as their JC'd grabs:
(assuming perfect JC)
Sheik
Bowser
Link

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
The following characters have dash grabs that come out faster than their JC'd grabs:
(character - minimum # of frames faster: assumes perfect JC)
Peach - 1
ICs - 1
Yoshi - 8
Zelda - 1
Samus - 1

The following characters have dash grabs that get put away faster than their JC'd grabs:
(character - # of frames faster: assumes perfect JC)
Yoshi - 10
Link - 11
Y. Link - 11
Samus - 21

The following characters have dash grabs that come out at the same time as their JC'd grabs:
(assuming perfect JC)
Sheik
Bowser
Link
This is interesting. Everyone that is in both of the first groups should never JC grab, and anyone in one of these or in the last group should probably do it differéntly depending on the situation. I always wondered why Bowsers don't jc their dash grabs, especially since Bowser lags a ton after it.

Rat

Smash Lord
quick question, as I can't find the answer anywhere.
What Frame does the shield come out? 1? 2? 3? -5 (it comes out before you even think about pressing it?)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you press L/R 4-0 frames before the attack would hit you, you get a powershield, starting w/ the frame you pressed L/R. After that, the normal shield is out, so it essentially comes out the moment you press L/R.

craiigg

Smash Lord
Sorry if this has been asked already X__X

in terms of frames how quick/slow can you phantasm ledge-stall with both fox and falco
I.e.
Total number of frames it takes from tapping back til the illusion
Minimum & maximum number of frames to illusion stall ( "from tapping back you have a margin of __ frames to press side b and perform the phantasm, which is then canceled by the ledge" )
These results calculated into fractions of seconds (I could do this part myself if you want ^__^)

<33

SCOTU

Smash Hero
That's kinda a hard question to figure out the margin of error for starting the phantasm/ illusion, but if i have time in the comming week, i'll bust out my AR and do a few tests.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
That's kinda a hard question to figure out the margin of error for starting the phantasm/ illusion, but if i have time in the comming week, i'll bust out my AR and do a few tests.
Looks like Scotu hasn't had time. :laugh: Bump, and I have a minor question: if I am not mistaken, on your shield pressure guide you say that Fox dair pillaring has a 3 frame disadvantage when you jump and a 5 frame disadvantage when you land. Does this mean that:

1) It is not shieldgrabbable? (o_O)
2) It is better than Falco's pillaring (o_O)

If 2 is true, why don't more people do it? I've seen PC Chris do it in some friendlies vs. Cort, but tehy were only friendlies, I've never seen it done in a real battle.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
There's lot's of cheats that can effect your jump. If I had to pick one, I'd say it's some sort of bunny hood effect, that's probably one of the reasons he slowed it down, to make it less obvious how fast he's jumping. Considering how fast he's jumping and falling at half speed I'm thinking I'm probably right.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
lol, he's actually using a screw attack. Hold one, then short-hop. And immediately laser twice, and u shdl!

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
lol, he's actually using a screw attack. Hold one, then short-hop. And immediately laser twice, and u shdl!
Yah, just tested it, both methods work, but the screw attack one doesn't require AR. Incase anybody's wondering, you never see him holding the screw attack in the video because when both lasering and landing the screw attack disapears like when objects are invisible while taunting. So when timed properly, you never see the screw attack.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
about fair pillar w/ 2 hits:
if you fair the frame you leave the ground, you can FF asap, and hit w/ the second hit the frame before you land. This yields a 6 frame disadvantage, allowing exactly enough time to shield grab between fair and shine.
once you shine, however, there's a 7 frame window before a fair can come out again, allowing a 2 frame window to shield grab, and even allowing some usamshes to hit. Between hits of the fair, there's only 2 frames of opening, so nothing but a spot dodge could be used. While this technique is overall safer than a normal pillar, it still has the same weakness: it can be rolled out of.
Random tidbit. sorry about the lack of answers as of late, schools taking up a lot of time.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
More random stuff on jabs out of shield using a waveshield vs unshielding.

Faster to WD:
Fox, Pichu, Pikachu, Sheik, Young Link, Falcon, Marth, G&W, Samus
(1 frame difference, except samus - 2 frames).

Everyone else: it's tied/ faster to release shield.

Note, it's also significantly easier to just let go of L/R while being hit than try to do a perfect wavedash w/ a 1 frame margin of being out of shield stun.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
How fast can Marth attack after being hit by a laser? If he gets hit in the air, can he fair, uair, or up B before the falco can follow up with another attack? If he's on the ground, can he utilt? I think he can jab safely, but can he do anything else to the falco if the falco were to follow up with any attack besides the shine?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
But when wavedashing out of shield, like when you're trying to punish a marth fsmash into shield, it is better to go for the WD out of shield, right? Since you would be sacrificing 15 frames if you let go and WD, and I think if you learn the shield stun, you can get it pretty close to frame perfect.
if you're crossing a distance, a waveshield is probably better, but for a marth fsmash, a shield release will often be sufficient.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
heh, that's my question from before..and i only asked cause i saw it in a video, falco player pillared past the opponent from behind to land in front but too far to grab and the opponent dropped shield and jabbed...but it made me curious whether waveshielding or letting go is faster because in that case he could have waveshielded out and grabbed i think more effectively..but the jab came out really fast as well so he got the grab anywayas i think

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If anyone still checks this thread, I'd like to find out some info about invincibility frames regarding resets from missed techs(I guess I don't know of a name for this). I'm referring to what happens when characters are forced to stand up after they've missed a tech and get hit, like a waveshine>jab in a Fox ditto. Basically I just want to know how many frames of invincibility a character will experience when they are reset to standing position and how many frames of lag they will have before they can perform a move.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'd like to know if this is possible and if it is if you could make a vid of it. cause it'd be pretty freaking awesome. Falco does a forward b, Tech's say like a marth f smash tipper, immediatley after the tech does another forward b gets hit again and techs and keeps forward bing instantly after the tech over and over. I wonder if theres enough frames that you will be able to tech inbetween each hit and not have that thing where you can't hit L to tech after x amount of frames. That'd be cool to see. Also, how many frames does it take to grab the edge if your right next to it from a shortended forward b and a full forward b. Maybe you can use one or the other to make it take longer while doing this vid. Or maybe the marth who's hitting falco can wait just enough time that he can tech again on purpose just so we can see the vid that'd be hot. xD If he waits long enough and you do enough Smash DI up / towards the stage you should be able to do it I think, anyways I can't wait for this. :)

Either way, I want to know this. If I do tech and want to forward b directly after, which is faster to grab the ledge frame wise teching and doing an immediate forward b or an immediate forward b shortened?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The fsmash doesn't come out fast enough for that, and there's not enough time between techs to retech, I think. There's a forty frame window where you can't tech again, after all.

I think the ledgegrab is the same no matter which length of Phantasm you use. First grab frame is twenty-five, by the way, eight frames after Falco starts moving forward.

Top Bottom