• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Zhea, if you ask me, the more you try to do and the more you play, the faster you'll get. Muscle memory is a big part of speeding up your hands (think about typing). First you need to practice the specific moves, and be able to do them quickly. If you notice you can't do something in quick succession, try practicing it over and over, and tightening up the timing. See if you can go faster than you're doing it currently. Often times, tech skill errors are a result of pressing buttons *too* quickly.

And regarding claw, if you can do everything you need to do without clawing, then it's not important. The way you hold a controller is a means to an end, and in the end whatever you're most comfortable with is what you're going to do best with. The oft-cited Isai never used cstick, and you saw how technically he could play.
That method of training muscle memory is how we used to practice, but it is outdated. I just posted a handbook thing in the Fox forum. One of you Falcon dudes should make something similar.

Basically, it displays the frames of each move visually, and when paired with the metronome that is also linked, you can create a looping series of sounds based on when you would enter the input. You don't have to guess about going faster or slower, you can just loop the sound and do the inputs with the sounds to hone the muscle memory. This is what metronomes are for.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
No, that is just standard quality for me, not for the Fox boards. I give myself the best of everything and then I give the community stuff after I've already used it.

Zhea

Smash Ace
That method of training muscle memory is how we used to practice, but it is outdated. I just posted a handbook thing in the Fox forum. One of you Falcon dudes should make something similar.

Basically, it displays the frames of each move visually, and when paired with the metronome that is also linked, you can create a looping series of sounds based on when you would enter the input. You don't have to guess about going faster or slower, you can just loop the sound and do the inputs with the sounds to hone the muscle memory. This is what metronomes are for.
That... is really awesome. If I was good enough to actually execute the moves properly already I would make this for falcon.

D

Deleted member

it definitely could and i have some ideas for new topics, just need to stop being a lazy bum

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Are you asking how to apply wavedash OoS vs Falco o.O

Often you do it after the shine and if they're just doing standard timings so you can escape but I thought that was fairly intuitive given that you can wvaedash OoS

Shroomed

Smash Master
Bobby, you reinstilled the competitive fire in me. No more taking it easy at tournaments and being under the influence of stuff.

**** TIME.

Scar

#HarveyDent
that's so cool. we got this.

btw dajuan if you wanted to team for real i'm down -- 2012 year of the falcon, i'm playing to win until there's no one left to beat. i think we teamed pretty well @ *p*5 without any practice, and i think sheik falcon could do pretty well (i've never seen it done right)

D

Deleted member

how is ur progress on the practice guide

i'm one of the laziest players in the world but I think I'm going to legit practice tech skill now just don't know how properly feels like I'm getting sloppier each time i play

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
how is ur progress on the practice guide

i'm one of the laziest players in the world but I think I'm going to legit practice tech skill now just don't know how properly feels like I'm getting sloppier each time i play
it happens to every good player. you'll get it back, you just need the motivation (which you said you found in scar's performance).

Down air oos is underrated, since it makes falcon pretty small at first so that for example a falco`s shine will miss!\

How about wavedash oos? Are there some situations where it comes in handy or not?
I got one but it will never happen again

5:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oyCiXs969o&context=C3cedb95ADOEgsToPDskLrwEUWH8Lm6tYoZUuRfaRr
I think wd oos is the key to beating Falco's shield pressure, it makes Falco do polarized followups that usually lead to openings (that's my Falco perspective at least).

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I started a Fox edgeguarding thing
But then I started trying to organize and I was like ... man this is impossible

I'll try to have version 1.0 up by tonight with pictures (probably the easiest way to explain distances <_<)

Scar

#HarveyDent
that's pretty exciting wenbo. any templates we can look at will be extremely helpful -- formatting and organizing what we need seems to be the hardest part, after that we can just crowdsource

Windrose

Smash Lord
Scar's falcon style has changed, it really shows in his latest tournament videos.

He's followed the #KobeSystem. Scar's a different animal but still the same beast.

Scar used to attack fast all the time, you can still see remnants of his old style (get up atk edge guards, super aggresive edge guarding, electrifying combos). Now he attacks both fast and strong.

On a serious note, does anyone else think scar's aerials are very unusual? There's a lot of differently timed aerials and a lot of non-fast falled stuff. Seems like he's been playing silent spectre a lot or something.

what do u guys think?

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Much of the play is due to Scar's discipline to stay focused.

He would probably be the best falcon if he could stay disciplined for all 4 stocks, but apathy, discouragement, and frustration leads him to throw away stocks in many sets.

For the most part, Scar didn't lose too much focus when he got combod or grabbed, which I think was a key difference maker for this tourney.

He's awesome

Walt

Smash Ace
Scar's falcon style has changed, it really shows in his latest tournament videos.

He's followed the #KobeSystem. Scar's a different animal but still the same beast.

Scar used to attack fast all the time, you can still see remnants of his old style (get up atk edge guards, super aggresive edge guarding, electrifying combos). Now he attacks both fast and strong.

On a serious note, does anyone else think scar's aerials are very unusual? There's a lot of differently timed aerials and a lot of non-fast falled stuff. Seems like he's been playing silent spectre a lot or something.

what do u guys think?
I totally agree about his aerials. Even from the IKM vids I always thought his aerials looked weird but like, made way too much sense. His uairs are hella funky.

D

Deleted member

mixing up timings is extremely strong on aerials, most people are caught up in the notion of being as quick as humanly possible

to be honest, most people are attuned to very fast aerials/ shield pressure. when you mix up aerial timings you throw off your opponents who only expect 'fast' shield pressure, UNLESS your opponents are EXTREMELY good and completely used to the different timings

For scar to mix up aerial timings and **** opponents is very strong, the only things I truly mix up is edge cancel timings

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
From what I saw, Scar landed at least 2-3 kills on Shroomed by hovering around and not fastfalling as quickly as normal, then doing a knee or bair. He also punished the **** out of spot dodges in all his sets... got Lovage with that at least a couple times too!

Scar

#HarveyDent
in addition i think hard work also played a huge part
when i was a kid, people always talked about working hard. as i got older (and as the company i kept got more mature), people started talking about working smart. let's start working smart -- that's what lean is all about.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318733

Started my guide to edgeguarding Fox - it's a little wordy right now and I'll work on distilling it down eventually , but I'm trying to hit everything important in the first iteration because there's a lot to be written about Fox IMO

Feel free to edit it if you want, I keep a copy of it on google docs

I'm not sure how frequently I'll update but hopefully it'll be at least once every couple days

Top Bottom