• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saying Good Game through online matches? How?

henry.T

Smash Rookie
I am curious, is there an established way to express you had a good game with your opponent? It is a real shame I cannot message the person so what I have been doing lately and it works best with Yoshi is to crouch down as if I am bowing to my opponent. Though I do not know if could be seen as a tea-bag or some other offensive notion closer to a taunt, would really like to know if there is indeed a formal way to say "that was a good game, well played"

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
What I found to be the closest thing to that would be to play another match, taunt, and then self destruct.

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
When playing online, I wouldn't have taken that as a sign of respect at all.
I'd just think:

This guy gave me a win, he isn't a tryhard -----> He must not be insulting me 'cause he's not a tryhard-------> His taunt must mean a good-bye if he left right after-------> His taunt must have been a friendly taunt ---------> He must have been saying something along the lines of good game

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I would have thought:

Oh, he just SD'd and now he's gone. I guess his wife needed him or something. Oh well.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I crouch a few times, but some people here think that is disrespectful, so idk.

henry.T

Smash Rookie
I'd just think:

This guy gave me a win, he isn't a tryhard -----> He must not be insulting me 'cause he's not a tryhard-------> His taunt must mean a good-bye if he left right after-------> His taunt must have been a friendly taunt ---------> He must have been saying something along the lines of good game
Well I have seen an opponent do that to me, and I honestly thought the person just didn't want to play with me anymore (I spiked him before he SDed) really came off more as a "alright, you beat me. let's move on" though again Mechageo maybe right that the game took place at the wrong time and he had to go in some other cases.

henry.T

Smash Rookie
I crouch a few times, but some people here think that is disrespectful, so idk.
really? hmm I guess it would be an excessive amount of crouches like pass 2 and it becomes a tea-bag :p Anyone watch Key and Peele; look up the McCringleberry's Excessive Celebration skit.

Last edited:

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
I would have thought:

Oh, he just SD'd and now he's gone. I guess his wife needed him or something. Oh well.
Lol, that's could be the case too. Either way, I don't think it would be disrespectful.

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
Well I have seen an opponent do that to me, and I honestly thought the person just didn't want to play with me anymore (I spiked him before he SDed) really came off more as a "alright, you beat me. let's move on" though again Mechageo maybe right that the game took place at the wrong time and he had to go in some other cases.
Well, that's kind of different. He may have very well forfeited since he was losing before he SD'd. If the guy stayed for another fight, then he probably wasn't saying good game, but actually forfeited.

If he taunted then SD'd then he probably was saying got me, which is a good thing. He acknowledges the fact you got him. Those who don't respect you would have just SD'd without a taunt after that spike.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
There is no in-game method to express that sentiment. I find that battling opponents several times over is the best way to show how much you respect and enjoy playing with a particular person, whether they've lost to you or you lost to them. This is especially true for mirror matchups, wherein the beginning out of battle is often started by taunting by both players. That's about as close as you can get.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Just be respectful, I suppose. Meaning don't taunt or do anything flashy like jump off the stage if they're dying in the background. Just stand there and wait for it to finish, that's probably the best way to go about it without looking like you mean something worse.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Damn if Professor Layton was in the game he would be a gentleman and tip his hat, and maybe that would be seen as respectful ! :yeahboi:

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
the most i have ever come to showing respect is actually taunting at the beginning of the match, there is no action that would turn such an action into a negative, unless my opponent is being really sensitive and thinks "wow he must be very cocky to taunt before we even start fighting!" which is never the case, recently though i fought a japanese player...or so i assume because of the ID name and he used Ness (witch btw is my most hated Match Up) so i was already going into the fight all negative and preparing my salt to flow, but at the beginning he crouched, and Ness crouch sorta looks like a bow alongside the villagers, so i was using Mac at the time and did the same, though his crouch looks like hes about to curl up into a fetal position and cry hehe,

but this is actually off topic as you ment to show a respect at the end of a match since its usually this time people just drop out quickly before the next match, so im with you, to just crouch and stay like that unless your crouching animation looks like a bow so just do a quick tap, and others is to just not do anything...which can feel lame, so usually i just run and jump off-screen or do a special move and hope they rematch me so i can do what i posted above, hoping they get the message of "Good Game"

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
It'd be nice if there was. All I can do is taunt at the start of the match and wait for them to do it too (that is, if we have been playing for a while). I figure that they'd understand what I'm doing if they did.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I just do something like crouch twice after they do something I really dug during the stock. If they combo me to hell and back I'll just use the invincibility frames of my next stock to taunt or crouch. Also I stay the same character for a while... people get butthurt about switching a lot for some reason.

I do have to say I find it pretty annoying when I'm cycling through my sub mains and I see someone pick lucina while I'm Marth and go super tryhard mode and taunt every time they land a f-air... then they usually roll 7 times in a row for no reason.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
i dont know how it happens but ive had several times where, after some heated matches, my opponent and i just switch to silly characters and derp around. dunno, ya put the time in to fight and then you end it just playing the game like friends, not trying to be competitive. don't sandbag people and just mess with em unless they're doing it back, unless you want to make em feel ****ty. luckily rosalina has her crouch float which i think communicates just silliness as opposed to a taunt. sometimes the best way to show respect is to just keep playing and giving it your all.

there was this one guy who was just cycling through characters and i was beating him consistently and eventually he landed on Mac and stuck with him, and somehow we managed to agree to not use aerials through some sort of metaphysical communication and allow the other to land on stage without fear of repercussion. i had him fighting just my luma alone at one point, it was great. finally i switched over to mac and we boxed for like an hour straight like this and it was awesome, i think that's the only time i played mac and i loved it.

i run into these situations a lot surprisingly.

if the other person is receptive to it and you're putting out the respect i think they'll get it. and you can always try to hunt people down online just to tell em ggs, i've had a couple people i've run into from for glory that i enjoyed fighting and i was able to tell them. the repeated crouching can seem silly or teabaggy, but whatever works.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I normally just crouch up and down and don't attack for a few seconds in the beginning and I normally get some of the same things done to me after an intense match!

Aldri

Smash Cadet
I never know what to make of crouching--I've had people do it a lot to me after I inevitably get destroyed and I'm never sure if its meant to mean "good try!" or "you suck!"

When I need to leave after one more match but want to let my opponent know I've had fun, I usually switch to Pikachu (one of my mains) and taunt as soon as the match starts. It looks like he's giving a happy wave.

Zteven

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zteven
3DS FC
5172-1365-2942
I didn't want to crouch twice because I'm going to think that I'm disrespecting my opponent so usually after 5 or 10 more matches, that's when I leave. I hope it's telling him/her that it was a good match and hopefully till our paths cross again.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
After finishing a good set of games, I like to switch costumes back and forth a few times. I believe this flashes on my character box on the opponents screen when doing so (I see it when others change costumes). So I do that a few times and leave.

Top Bottom