• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sandbagging - The Uttermost Disrespect

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Hmm disrespect huh?... An easy solution is to just not play the person...

I don't really mind anyone who sandbags aslong as they win... If they are winning, I must be doing something wrong and should be able to learn and adapt.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
I agree that sandbagging in tournaments is wrong, but sandbagging out of tournaments isnt necessarily, especially against someone who isnt really in the smash community.

For example, one of my best friends is this girl who plays Jigglypuff. She can ONLY play when she drives from PA to come visit me, so to say the least, she isnt that great. I could probably 4 stock her on a relatively regular basis (im actually giving her my gamecube so she can practice more). Are you telling me, i should give her my all in every single friendly we play? I dont, I generally 2 stock her. I use the opportunity to do more risky moves in order to practice them thus making them less risky to use in tournaments, and i use it to practice some of my low tier alts.

I dont think sandbagging is bad, but the thing that you suggested isnt sandbagging, its being an A$$, The thing that is so annoying about what he did isnt that he was sandbagging you, but that he was taunting you, and making fun of you. If he was 4 stocking you with his best character and telling you how much you sucked at the same time, im sure it would be equally as annoying.

so your hatred shouldnt be directed towards sandbagging, it should be directed towards taunting.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
well in like, 2 tournaments ago...i had to verse a complete noob yoshi...and i went straight to zelda..so i could be shiek...but the he says..oh how typical...another shiek....so just because of dat...i stayed as zelda and didnt transform the whole game...and was just being dumb and trying to sideb him half the match and the other just fairing and bairing...i like 2 stocked him...then i picked pikachu...and just started messing wit him again...i 3 stocked him dat time...i felt like i was sandbagging cuz i was barely trying..but my opponent didnt even notice....we were being dumb and laughing and he actually thought dats how i played...so is it wrng if ur opponent's ok wit it...if not....then i am a guity sandbagger....lol...peace

-hiroshi

stupidretardster

Smash Cadet
like TomH said sandbagging is OK if it's your intention to make the opponent feel better rather than taunting them. Sandbagging when your n00b friend comes over is OK to do. If i was 4 stocked by my friend all the time I wouldn't enjoy playing anymore. Like i said, sandbagging to keep everyone happy is OK, sandbagging to annoy, irritate or make someone angry is bad.

mog87

Smash Ace
Using Sandbags for training is very beneficial to cardiovascular fitness. Try running with sandbags you will see great increases in fitness(strength and endurance). I try to get my friends to use sandbags but they tell me they prefer teabagging(whatever that is?).

p.s how do you jv 5 stock a fox? all he has to do is press B once and its over, were you playing a parapelegic child cause thats pretty low.

Zodiac

Smash Master
i try my hardest against players even if they are terrible...its shows respect.

discuss.
I dont like it either but, Sometimes it works as a tactic, not letting everyone know how good you are and under estimating you in the next match. Even so, doing that is just to dangerous if your the type that has to warm up to get to your peak.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
well in like, 2 tournaments ago...i had to verse a complete noob yoshi...and i went straight to zelda..so i could be shiek...but the he says..oh how typical...another shiek....so just because of dat...i stayed as zelda and didnt transform the whole game...and was just being dumb and trying to sideb him half the match and the other just fairing and bairing...i like 2 stocked him...then i picked pikachu...and just started messing wit him again...i 3 stocked him dat time...i felt like i was sandbagging cuz i was barely trying..but my opponent didnt even notice....we were being dumb and laughing and he actually thought dats how i played...so is it wrng if ur opponent's ok wit it...if not....then i am a guity sandbagger....lol...peace

-hiroshi

sorry.. what did you just say?

playing weaker opponents is a good chance to experiement and try new things i suppose.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
wow i just noticed the mow is one of the best mewtwos in the nation...LOL my bad i feel like an idiot

ok well that killed the entire reson for this thread but i thought i should say that

wow...LOL

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
just fyi, playing a bad character isn't sandbagging, not trying/caring is sandbagging

i try in friendlies sure, but i dont put as much thought into it, i fsmash like 10 times more in friendlies and much more randomly with bowser, in tourneys i'll fsmash like 3-4 times, but they will all land, in friendlies i'll fsmash like 10 times, and maybe 3 will land, its just more fun for me

i'm not sandbagging, i'm just having fun lol

khewlyus

Smash Rookie
It's funny that Smash community uses the term sandbagging in a completely different way than other gaming communities.

thesaurus said:
sandbag - downplay one's ability (towards others) in a game in order to deceive
Also to the subject I personally think destroying a noob accomplishes nothing. Noobs just get distracted from a play that is way up above them. If you take it easily, they have more time to think what hit them.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I dislike when people play this game too hard. Honestly, sometimes it's 3am and I'm just ready to play G+W and use the judgement hammer over and over again. At tournament I can respect playing your best, but I find myself slowing down and reading the other person more once I start winning.

As luigi, I just start looking for Up+B kills. ^_^

FOB

Smash Ace
I dunno. If they brag and play mewtwo, then its is just plain gay. But if the person is much better than me and openly shows/admits that they are sandbagging, then I don't really care. It sorta brings up a new goal for me. I don't understand sandbagging on purpse though. What does it do?

Moreover, I personally hate people that brag about victories in friendlies much more than sandbaggers. Thats just annoying.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
ok so is sandbagging being lazy? or is it being stupid? because in smash being lazy is playing stupid, and being stupid is risky and not caring.

thats sandbagging?

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Sandbagging is actually pretty hard for me. I don't know why, but every time I try to go easy on someone I just can't do it. Is that good or bad?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I hate to say it but when I play a noob I tend not to play my best. I really don't play that well when my opponent isn't hard to fight. I need the pressure of knowing that I can lose in order to play my best. I actually play better when I'm losing then when I'm winning. I don't want to go easy on the noobs, I just do because there isn't any motivation for thought. I really don't want to crush them anyway because it would turn them away from smash. My head isn't in the game if I'm not in trouble.

The 5th Police

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I admit it too I sandbag but for a good reason. People try their hardest to win when in it is only a friendly match. If it is friendly okay sandbagging is okay if you are bored but it is disrespect to the opponent. Almost like a MINDGAME :). Anyway, yes I agree with Azen it is the Uttermost Disrespect to do to someone but hey if it happens it happens.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Sandbagging sucks, but oh well. However sometimes they use a character they are not good with and try their hardest? That surely is not sandbagging is it? They are just trying to make the match more competitive? As long as they dont brag about it whats the problem?

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
I don't find sandbagging so disrespectful, well, unless you tell the person you were doing it or if you start bragging about it.
I guess if you don't really say anything it's not so disrespectful.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Sandbagging is pretty douchey. I know when I'm playing someone better than me, and they are playing their hardest it makes me play better, and want to get better. I try to reciprocate that with everyone I play.

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
I think most people have a harder time "bringing it" against a much worse player simply because the outcome is known beforehand. As it was said before, a challenge is necessary for full effort.

That being said, I can't stand sandbagging unless I ask for it. If I do end up playing with one of the prominently known players that lives near me, I'm gonna ask him to just beat the everloving **** out of me for at least a couple games, and then maybe slow it down or show me some of my major weaknesses.

I hate not knowing where I stand amongst others because somebody decided to screw around and basically say "I'm so much better than you, I'm gonna let you get close."

Although I will say, I have done this myself before. Whenever I play my roommates or really anyone new to Halo CE, I tend to try really hard for a little while, and then I'll start limiting myself to only certain things. The reality is that absolutely destroying a friend so that it's not fun for either of us sucks. It's going to make them quit, and probably stop playing the game.

EDIT: But if I'm playing a random person I've never met before and claims to know what they're doing in the game, it's no mercy. I find it's a hell of a lot easier to try hard against someone I don't know who sucks than someone I do know.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Azen almost preaches his hate of sandbaggers

a sandbagger is someone who does not play their hardest when it counts...yes it is situational, but everyone knows when they are expected at actually play...

sandbaggers show no respect for who they are playing with. Nothing gets on me more than a player that beast me with metwo and then continues to saay what a horrible charcter mewtwo is...and that he "was not even trying"...not the best

i try my hardest against players even if they are terrible...its shows respect.

discuss.
I agree. Sandbaggers are coinceited, ignorant, and cocky. A lot of sandbaggers claim that they weren't trying even when they actually were. Both ways piss people off. If a sandbagger states that he/she wasn't trying when he/she beat you, he/she is most likely lying. After all, he/she beat so, so that mean he/she was actually trying. All sandbaggers do is try to make themselves look better.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Sandbagging is something I never do. If it is something not worth doing your best, it is probably something that is not worth doing at all. New comers are not going to learn anything if you don't show them what a real match is all about.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Not everybody does it on purpose. I know I won't try my hardest unless I'm playing somebody who I know is way better than me. You just don't focus the same way against people around your skill level than against pros.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Sandbagging is something I never do. If it is something not worth doing your best, it is probably something that is not worth doing at all. New comers are not going to learn anything if you don't show them what a real match is all about.
True. That was at the tip of my tongue.. Thanks. :D

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
+imaginary rep

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Sandbagging is gay. Don't worry Masa.. It gets me angry when Doll sandbags against me too. >_> Anyone that says sandbagging isn't gay clearly has never played someone better than them that sandbags well..

Doll

Smash Journeyman
Sandbagging is gay. Don't worry Masa.. It gets me angry when Doll sandbags against me too. >_> Anyone that says sandbagging isn't gay clearly has never played someone better than them that sandbags well..
I can hear everything on the board~~ ;D

Edit: see...not hear ~_~;; hearing letters would make me a freak.

Doll

Smash Journeyman
Doll.. are you on LSD?? I can only read posts on the boards; Hear them >_>
I editted that part!! *points up*

Haha I don't sandbag masa, :D I just like trying different things in friendlies. That's what friendlies should be a non-serious, fun match where you can exploit different aspects against someone...

That and I'm lazy, I like to take it slower in friendlies cause my fingers are tiny and well...azn? So forgive me that you have the advantage of having white biscuit fingers :<.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Sandbagging = gay
Saying that you sandbagged to look cool = gayer
Losing and then saying you sandbagged = gayest thing you can do

I sometimes sandbag without knowing it. Then my friend wins from me; Me = Sheik he = Link (Pal version, so it is a bit more fair then in NTSC =P ), then I get pissed cause I lost. I then try my fullest to not get beat again and the I 2 stock/3 stock him and he is like: "what the hell" O_o

To sandbag in tournement matchesis so gay you will die from it eventually (you'll die eventually anyway, so this can not be proven wrong :p )

khewlyus

Smash Rookie
Again, an opponent can't learn all of your techniques at once. Before learning more advanced things, your opponent needs to learn less advanced things. That's why playing at the peak of your limits against a scrub is just wasting energy, because he can't understand what you are doing.

Top Bottom