• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Monthlies: Rains of Castamere II

Zhea

Smash Ace
Rains of Castamere
San Antonio Monthlies
Melee Singles
Rains of Castamere II Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
GG | Mojo
$66.00
2nd
AG | Arc
$33.00
3rd
SOS
$11.00
4th
Smiles
5th
Rock
5th
King Mosquito
7th
Zhea
7th
Fork Girl
9th
G Rabbit
9th
T.wim
9th
Klaha
9th
Xilopryce
13th
A Man
13th
Alway Rock On
13th
BlockHead
13th
Kevin Wow
17th
Kaiju King
17th
JCG
17th
Greed
17th
Vazquez
17th
KO
17th
F00

PM Singles
Rains of Castamere II PM Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
AG | Arc
$141.00
2nd
GG | Mojo
$70.50
3rd
Eclipsekirby
$23.50
4th
Espy Rose
5th
AXXO
5th
SOS
7th
Scuba Steve
7th
G Rabbit
9th
Shokio
9th
CnB | Chandy
9th
Grime
9th
Tikobroje
13th
King Mosquito
13th
hammr
13th
Metaknight
13th
Refrigerator
17th
Loko
17th
KoN!
17th
T.win
17th
KO
17th
Kevin Wow
17th
Xilopryce
17th
Chicoknight
17th
Redsky
25th
Wooks
25th
Dragonite
25th
Infinite
25th
DAMAN
25th
Shane
25th
Thomas
25th
BlockHead
25th
Greed
33rd
Guerrilla
33rd
Klaha
33rd
Whiskytits
33rd
DDR
33rd
Lamp
33rd
Alway Rock On
33rd
Fiveplus
33rd
Driver
33rd
F00
33rd
CGOH
33rd
JCG
33rd
Zhea
33rd
OK-BK
33rd
MAT
33rd
A Man

PM Teams
PM Teams bracket.png

1: MojoSoShi
2: Team Metakong
3: Team Collusion
4: Team Apollo
5: Team Doinathang
5: Team Jungle Love
7: Grabbit & Stef
7: Kevinw0w & Hammr
9: Team Donkey ****
9: Team OG Melee
9: Ending Friendsip Through Kung Fu Treachery
9: Dragonite & Refrigerator

Post-mortem
Thanks to everyone who came out. I want to address a few issues.
First and foremost about PM:

• It was @ RedGamer RedGamer 's first time TOing an event and while he was able to get through it he was definitely stressing it.
  • Seeding was done poorly, but that was my fault. I had reps from Houston, CS and Austin take a look at it before we started and they were cool with it, but what it really came down to is that I didn't know most of the faces there. I think we'll straight up do pools next time, sort it out there. Also if you are fighting someone from your region in the 1st round, let me know! I don't know how @ RedGamer RedGamer handled it, but I'll swap up 1st round if that is the case.
  • Stage list was a problem. No one spoke up about it until the day of and it was vehemently hated. I'll change it to be in line with Xanadu's next time.
Now moving on to more general issues:
  • Venue was too small for the event. Or rather venue was too small for PM. I knew it would be tighter than usual, but I didn't expect all the new faces coming out for PM. This comes with some good news. The store owners are willing to provide both the entire front of the store and/or the back gym area for the next event. So this will resolve itself next time.
  • This rolled over into people bringing full setups that were never used due to space and power problems. This won't be an issue next time.
  • I do need to number TVs. I had stick notes with me, but I forgot the marker back at my apartment.
  • Bracket ran in about the same amount of time I thought it would, but we lost a half hour every time I had to seed. Going to put earlier cut off times for registration and learn some juggleguy bracket magic.
  • Commentary was lost from matches. I screwed up on setting up the microphone. Apparently Xsplit was sensitive about this. I'm probably going to get 2 head sets for the future to resolve this.
Videos
Melee Singles Videos
PM Singles Videos

G-Rabbits PM Singles Videos
PM Teams Videos

Last edited:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts:

Axxo for helping me get the venue hyped. I'm sorry I couldn't make it far enough in bracket for the rematch, but good stuff on 5th.
Zhea for giving Shokio and I a chance to commentate. You're welcome for those millions of youtube hits, #nobigdeal.
Scooby Stephen for his DK ditto coaching and two excellent matches in tournament. You were tough enough to make me pull out the secret weapon. #madrespect
Grime for going the distance with SOS. You'll get him next time. TBH I hate Zelda so much I'm willing to throw the game with a donkeycide.
Shade for being such a great sport. Next time we end up at the same tourney make sure to remind me about the friendlies I promised you.
Shokio for being a rad teammate. No one is more deserving of the silver medal than that Roy.
kevinw0w for a cool trip to the Japanese grocery store. Also for helping me out during the cargo fthrow --> nothing days. Good stuff.
Tikobroje for another successful tournament of no matches. Keep up the no work!
Garreth for being a clutch backseat TO and a super nice guy.

Fearless Feedback:

TOs on blast, Metal Cavern as a legal CP (even in doubles) is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and Yoshi's being a legal doubles stage instead of FoD is equally dumb. Just because Dallas is stupid doesn't mean San Antonio has to be stupid, especially if your only justification for having such a horrendous stage list is because "that's how DFW does it." Not one person I spoke to about the stage list thought it made any sense whatsoever, including people from San Antonio.

Seeding was sketchy at best, although with a high volume of Austin players showing up it was unavoidable to a certain point. I will note that it severely decreases the incentive for ATX to come back to the next RoC when you have them all play each other 2nd, 3rd and even first round in some cases, which could have been avoided. Why travel to San Antonio and pay for a cramped, uncomfortable venue when you just end up playing the same people as any ATX weekly?

The bracket ran lopsided and a lot of people ended up waiting for a long time between matches. I myself ended up waiting an hour and a half between my first match in winners against Shade and my second match in winners against Scuba, and then another hour after that for my first losers bracket match. This was mainly due to incorrect utilization of available set-ups, most likely because the set-ups weren't even numbered or organized in any way that made sense to me, if they even were at all. Having numbered set-ups is TOing 101, guys, and it takes like two minutes to walk through and put post-it notes on all the CRTs. Sometimes there's a reasonable exception for crappy scheduling when you're streaming matches and you have to put content on because you're broadcasting live, but when you're just locally recording there's no reason to hold up an entire side of the bracket just because you want to rush a hype match on the main set-up.

Overall I still had fun, thanks for putting this on and although I'm iffy on coming out for the next RoC, I appreciate the effort the staff put forth for this tourney. GGs everyone!

Last edited:

Grime.

Smash Apprentice
Yoooooo!!!! S/O's
@ A AustinRC Good stuff taking 1st in PM, Eclipse is no joke (Neither are you)
@ Espy Rose Espy Rose your sonic is 2fast4 my zelda man, ggz
Axxo & @ CnB | Chandy CnB | Chandy Hype $ match guys, Best DK in Texas (Thanks for the Donkeycide)
@ S.O.S. S.O.S. I wanted to play you sooo bad and once I got the chance i was nervous as hell, ggz
@ Zhea Zhea Thanks for having us, it was awesome to show off Austin PM
AUSTIN PM!!!!! Good stuff guys, we showed we are growing and we can compete!

Constructive Criticism
Ive been to The Iron Price and Roc l, Roc2 was fun but i have some issues..
First off i mean no disrespect, but @ RedGamer RedGamer idk if you had a long day/bad day but your attitude was horrible. Nothing against you but having a positive TO is what i think is needed.

The stage list was pretty bad and there were nothin but complaints from everyone (Metal Cavern is Gannons life) Look into Xanadu's stage listing, its a good one.

Seeding was good by skill, but there were 40+ entrants, ATX could have been spread out a bit more

It was sooooooooooooo HOT. I know it was out of yall's control, but it sucked lol

Other than that I love playing other regions and seeing the talent Texas as a whole has. Thanks for hosting!

Last edited:

tikobroje

Smash Rookie
Fearless Feedback:

Seeding was sketchy at best, although with a high volume of Austin players showing up it was unavoidable to a certain point. I will note that it severely decreases the incentive for ATX to come back to the next RoC when you have them all play each other 2nd, 3rd and even first round in some cases, which could have been avoided. Why travel to San Antonio and pay for a cramped, uncomfortable venue when you just end up playing the same people as any ATX weekly?

Overall I still had fun, thanks for putting this on and although I'm iffy on coming out for the next RoC, I appreciate the effort the staff put forth for this tourney. GGs everyone!
funny you mention that it will severely decrease the incentive for ATX to show up again, cause I think most if not all of us left saying we probably are hesistant to come back. I get that we probably showed up with the most players but i mean 43 entrants and Chico and Dragonite play first round.

also moving Espy and Callum (scuba) in winners was a bad move Mojo should've played callum and SOS vs Espy should've happened in winners semis. that moved caused Callum and Chandy to play twice in bracket when they probably shouldnt have played at all unless it was unavoidable due to distance in bracket

Overall it was an ok tourney i guess...venue super hot is no beuno

also dat stage list doeeeeeee

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I had a great time this past weekend. Big shoutouts to Zhea and PKT for hosting. I always enjoy coming to your tournaments. Please keep hosting.

Shoutouts to ARC and Mojo for being two competitive giants in Texas and for enjoying both games.
Shoutouts to Shokio, Kevin, Chandy, and Daniel (first tourney!) for representing College Station so well as we always do.
GGs to everyone I played. In the end, everyone's a winner.

Thank you to ATX for coming out. I always enjoy seeing you guys. Additionally, I understand your complaints for the PM bracket, but please understand the things Zhea addressed in the Post-mortem (I was about to address everything, he beat me to it). I hope this weekend will not stop you guys from coming to future events. I take some of the blame for writing down Chandy for CStat. I feel like he might have had similar complaints if he was down as ATX and had to play me or Shokio early on. Communication is everything, on both sides.
EDIT: The Espy/Scuba Steve switch is odd. I suppose that was supposed to keep SOS and Espy from playing each other for both being SA, but that shouldn't matter in WSs. I agree that it was a bad move. I can only think that PKT was pressured to make this switch by his peers and being a young TO, caved in.

Zhea, for stagelists, I think the one used at SKTAR is really good. It's the same one I'll be using at Farmers Fight, so you can copy it from my thread if you want.

Speaking of which, I hope to see you guys make it out for College Station's PM monthly debut, Farmers Fight, on the 28th. There will be free pizza!

Last edited:

Zhea

Smash Ace
I intend to.

I think for the next local @ RedGamer RedGamer and I are going to sit down and layout some plans. If ATX comes again I intend to run PM pools as I was unable to seed properly. Also tell AL he's a bum for not coming.

Last edited:

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I intend to.

I think for the next local @ RedGamer RedGamer and I are going to sit down and layout some plans. If ATX comes again I intend to run PM pools as I was unable to seed properly. Also tell AL he's a bum for not coming.
He was planning on it, but made a last minute change of plans. I will be sure to relay the message.

TehLamp

Smash Cadet
NNID
TehLamp
Thanks again to everyone for this! I'm one of the new faces and I just have to know the name of the Ness player that knocked me into losers first round of PM. I was playing Sonic. He was really good and he had the smoke weed everyday hat. That aside, i'll definitely be attending smashfests and going to the next tourney! Edit: Also I may have claimed the wrong ID by mistake

Last edited:

Zhea

Smash Ace
Shout Outs:
@ RedGamer RedGamer : Chris thank you so much for stepping up to TO PM. I know it was hard, but it was definitely way more manageable with your help. Also dat last combo on Forkgirl.
Blockhead: Thank you so much for helping me get **** there and back Jason. That was way easier then it usually is.
@ Espy Rose Espy Rose : Watching you make yourself late by doing well in bracket was hilarious. Thanks for coming out.
@Nike.: STAHP BEING A BUSTER NIKE.
@ Shokio Shokio & @ CnB | Chandy CnB | Chandy : Thanks for commentating. I won't lose it next time. I'm taking the feed back seriously and the next monthly will run way better. However I am putting you both on fraud status for PM Teams.
@Grime: Thanks for coming out. Venue was actually air conditioned it just couldn't handle 50 people on one side. I've been promised at the very least the whole front of the store for next time, so this will not be nearly as big an issue next time.
@ G-Rabbit G-Rabbit : It's always good to see you and Stef. Thanks for helping out with running PM.
@ tikobroje tikobroje & Lumpy: Guess you got your vengeance on me from gamers galaxy, but I'll still body you in melee.
Loko: YOUR NOT DEAD! Was good to see you, but it looks like Wifi wasn't good enough. Need to get that irl practice.
@ kevinw0w kevinw0w : Ganon Dittos for days. Keep working on you Shiek dude, just stay closer to the ground and grab more.
@ S.O.S. S.O.S. Almost had it this time. Heard you did some soul searching and found Wario. Think it's about to get interesting.
@The MC Clusky: Good too see you made it out. To bad you had face smiles and SOS, but good stuff against Forkgirl.
@ forkgirl forkgirl : Good to see the old blood come out to play again, especially with KITE STILL BEING A BUSTER. Hope to see you at future events. Hype sets were had.
Smiles: SMILES COME BAAACK WE MISS YOU
Vazquez: That first round bye status. Good **** in our match dude, it's a shame you had to run into Jason right after, but that's what happens at locals.
@Xilo Pryce: We need to do more All Ganon PM teams. Also Bushido Betrayal must happen next time.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Why did Espy and Scuba switch in winners?
I switched them in winners because @ Espy Rose Espy Rose and @ S.O.S. S.O.S. always play in Grand Finals of Every P:M event they've both attended in the last 5 months.
So, to avoid a pointless rematch, I switched espy and scuba and I regret nothing. Espy's match with Mojo had me hype.
Fearless Feedback:

TOs on blast, Metal Cavern as a legal CP (even in doubles) is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and Yoshi's being a legal doubles stage instead of FoD is equally dumb. Just because Dallas is stupid doesn't mean San Antonio has to be stupid, especially if your only justification for having such a horrendous stage list is because "that's how DFW does it." Not one person I spoke to about the stage list thought it made any sense whatsoever, including people from San Antonio.

The bracket ran lopsided and a lot of people ended up waiting for a long time between matches. I myself ended up waiting an hour and a half between my first match in winners against Shade and my second match in winners against Scuba, and then another hour after that for my first losers bracket match. This was mainly due to incorrect utilization of available set-ups, most likely because the set-ups weren't even numbered or organized in any way that made sense to me, if they even were at all. Having numbered set-ups is TOing 101, guys, and it takes like two minutes to walk through and put post-it notes on all the CRTs. Sometimes there's a reasonable exception for crappy scheduling when you're streaming matches and you have to put content on because you're broadcasting live, but when you're just locally recording there's no reason to hold up an entire side of the bracket just because you want to rush a hype match on the main set-up.
I agree with this 100%. I've made note of these things without anyone even telling me about them.
also moving Espy and Callum (scuba) in winners was a bad move Mojo should've played callum and SOS vs Espy should've happened in winners semis. that moved caused Callum and Chandy to play twice in bracket when they probably shouldnt have played at all unless it was unavoidable due to distance in bracket. also dat stage list doeeeeeee
Yep. Chandy was seeded as College Station and Scuba was seeded as Austin. As for them playing in loser's, that was unavoidable.
The Espy/Scuba Steve switch is odd. I suppose that was supposed to keep SOS and Espy from playing each other for both being SA, but that shouldn't matter in WSs. I agree that it was a bad move. I can only think that PKT was pressured to make this switch by his peers and being a young TO, caved in.
This was not at all the case, as I was the one to make the suggestion albeit stupid.

TIME TO SMASH DOWN SOME PLANS FOR THE NEXT ONE!!

Last edited:

AfterburnDeity

Smash Rookie
Nice tournament, thanks for hosting. Hopefully the next one goes more smoothly and that ATX players still decide to show up, despite some friction in seeding this time.

Venue was pretty hot, could have used a refrigerator or something.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Thanks to those who shouted me out!

I'm gonna do a quick lazy list:

Shout outs to @ CnB | Chandy CnB | Chandy for beasting in that DK MM. I couldn't ask for a better teammate.
Shout outs to Axxo for eliminating me and being a pretty damn good DK/Wario.
Shout outs to ARC. It was the first time I met the guy and he was mad cool and funny. Also our Winners match was one of the most fun ones I've experienced yet.
Shout outs to @ G-Rabbit G-Rabbit for his continued support and encouragement. I wouldn't be the play I am today if it weren't for him.

Not gonna complain about the cramped space and hot venue seeing as how people have already done that. But if you guys are for-sure getting that back gym available, I'm totally coming to the next one.

Top Bottom