• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Sometimes when I go against a Samus, they tend to use the DownB when they'r trying to land back on the ground. The bombs themselves are of no issue to me, but it shrinks her hurtbox and I find it hard to hit her with anything, and yet I keep hearing people say that Samus has godawful landing options and no safe way of getting back to the ground. With that in mid I'm assuming this isn't one and I just don't know how to counter it: seems like something's working that really shouldn't be working.

How do I deal with this?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Sometimes when I go against a Samus, they tend to use the DownB when they'r trying to land back on the ground. The bombs themselves are of no issue to me, but it shrinks her hurtbox and I find it hard to hit her with anything, and yet I keep hearing people say that Samus has godawful landing options and no safe way of getting back to the ground. With that in mid I'm assuming this isn't one and I just don't know how to counter it: seems like something's working that really shouldn't be working.

How do I deal with this?
Bombs can be a decent way to land on the ground. If they are using them all the time though, there is a large vulnerability window after the bomb drops. You could even punish with fsmash with megaman. The trick is to be *patient*. Samus can really stall her recovery to the ground and the good Samus players will try to use bombs in a way that isn't super unsafe. I think bomb is a good way to get space. But actually landing on the ground is difficult near your opponent. If the bomb can give you space, then you can land. Usmash is another good punish option if the bombs are badly spaced.

I know this guy wasn't the greatest and it was mostly to show how good dtilt is against pellets at the beginning of the video. You see me landing with bombs a lot to stall and fake out. There are probably several opportunities of MM to punish. Is this sort of what you are talking about?

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Is there some way to SHAD more easily? Right now I'm just tapping the jump button really fast and immediately hitting shield... This sucks though, especially when I'm trying to do it OOS. Is there some fancy control scheme or anything to help?

Edit: also, I got my first kill with up smash today after 9 months of playing sm4sh Samus! I inputted it by accident, but I was super excited so I thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Is there some way to SHAD more easily? Right now I'm just tapping the jump button really fast and immediately hitting shield... This sucks though, especially when I'm trying to do it OOS. Is there some fancy control scheme or anything to help?

Edit: also, I got my first kill with up smash today after 9 months of playing sm4sh Samus! I inputted it by accident, but I was super excited so I thought I'd share.
No magic tricks but OOS I use both of my left shoulder buttons for shield so to shad OOS I jump and immediately slide my finger to the other shield button.

Well they buffed usmash, but yay!

Izaw

Smash Ace
Who would you guys say is THE samus expert on this forum. I'm not talking about skillwise or tournament result wise, just knowledge wise.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
lul. Honestly, we all have our part in Samus. @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster is combo genius. @ Xygonn Xygonn and I are studying more on the in-match philosophy behind her attacks in neutral. @ Afro Smash Afro Smash be on the tech.
came here to post something very similar to this. You might as well just ask what you want to ask about the character and we can direct you to the proper people.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Finally back from tournament.... wow so much to catch up on...
In addition to what my compatriots said I'll also add @ Xyro77 Xyro77 is the veteran Samus player, though he is not as active in forum as many of us, his insight is always good. I'm likewise confident you know him from Brawl days @ Izaw Izaw , just throwing it out there.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I was the best USA brawl Samus and and def top 3 for Smash 4 currently. I won't say I "know" the most but I def can say I have experience a metric ton of situations and have an understanding of it all. I don't theory craft and I don't sit behind a computer and just read. I actually attend many events.

Last edited:

Xyro77

How exactly have you deduced that you are definitely a top 3 samus?
I place very well (for a low tier) in a very strong region.
I only use Samus while many others have to use a 2ndary to place well.
If wifi counts, i have won majority of matches vs every single Samus user on this board.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
If wifi counts, i have won majority of matches vs every single Samus user on this board.
Not against me. :surprised:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
You mean every single samus on this board that you fought? I don't think you've played against all of them, or even any of the other players who consider themselves "the best"

On that note, it was funny to read for awhile but can we stop self-fellating over who is the best samus player?

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I'm learning, I'm just glad I'm picking up things pretty fast. except SHAD is slow goings, but I atleast use it 3 time in FG matches and 1/3 are always a kill shot, so quality use I guess.
Heres hoping new patch shows Samus some more love with some nice buffs.

Xyro77

You mean every single samus on this board that you fought? I don't think you've played against all of them, or even any of the other players who consider themselves "the best"

On that note, it was funny to read for awhile but can we stop self-fellating over who is the best samus player?
I dont care who is the best. Samus is still bad in thi sgame. im simply stating what IS

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I definitely feel an all Samus tournament brewing too :)
I really hope this tournament feature they're adding come Friday is going to allow for tournaments between friends and not be merely a for-glory anonymous signup feature. It could be really good, the share replays feature is really great, we'll know soon.
@ JAZZ_ JAZZ_ there's no shame in losing, particularly to great players, it's the quickest path to improvement. Competition should be fun, devoid of ego.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I definitely feel an all Samus tournament brewing too :)
I really hope this tournament feature they're adding come Friday is going to allow for tournaments between friends and not be merely a for-glory anonymous signup feature. It could be really good, the share replays feature is really great, we'll know soon.
@ JAZZ_ JAZZ_ there's no shame in losing, particularly to great players, it's the quickest path to improvement. Competition should be fun, devoid of ego.
I never said I had an ego,
no currently I have a difficult time with ditto matchups against Samus mains. (not against jerks who switch to Samus thinking they can beat you with your own main, 2 stock under 50% everytime :awesome:) No I'd want to watch better players rather than experience the fury myself. yes you learn by losing but not as much as sitting back and taking keynotes. the inevitable frustration that comes with being on the backfoot is not an ideal mindset for observation. (at least for me) Thats the only reason I'd want out, I know i cant do dittos yet. I'm a smash player that didnt EVER have a main till 5 months ago, seriously Im just now learning how to compete in smash, full blown greenhorn. I dont have an ego to lose, but I dont get much to gain out of a ditto tourney just yet.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Friday tournament patch. Let's make a Samus only tournament on Sunday!

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
If it's possible with friends (which I don't see why it wouldn't) , count me in man. A good enough reason to celebrate the patch release. Maybe there will be some changes to Samus as well, so we can use the tourney to feel her out, and what not.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I'm probably the least skilled Samus main here, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

That tourney sounds pretty cool, I would be very interested to watch those matches!

I actually have almost no experience in the ditto match, it's extremely rare for me to run into another Samus when I play FG.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I can't do a tournament on Sunday but would any of you mind playing some friendlies against me on the 3DS? (I can't use a Wii U for a while, sadly.) Ofc I'm not a fraction as good as you all but I would love for a good Samus to give me some pointers. I'm on EST and can play any time tonight or tomorrow. Thanks in advance

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
@ Vyrnx Vyrnx

Ill be ready @915 so you can host if ya want. If I'm terrible and don't want to play no need to hide it haha.

@ Vyrnx Vyrnx

Good games man! You have a fantastic Samus! I'd love to do more Friendlies if your interested. I have to be at work by 430am so I gotta head to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Thanks @ Hark17ball Hark17ball
Sorry I was kind of sucking lol, but you're really good and I'm gonna steal a lot of your stuff. You definitely zaired and SHADed a lot better than me but mostly your edge guarding was amazing. If I got knocked off the stage I rarely made it back without taking 60% or dying. I definitely noticed that I missiled too much and went for too many dairs. Plus I kept accidentally inputting up smash but it worked out a few times lol. Thanks for the matches!

I knew the forum Samuses were better than me but the gap is pretty big lol, I got work to do

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
@ Vyrnx Vyrnx

You fall through the platforms and time stuff better than I do! Shows me how much more I need to practice. Hit me up anytime for games, you are a great fight!

Top Bottom