• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
If it's good/well made, I'll sticky.

Still holding off on the clean up until both versions have officially launched.
I'm afraid I don't know what the pronoun "it" is referring to.
You mean you will make a guide yourself once the WiiU version has launched?

If yes, then many thanks in advance! I am having so much trouble finding out how to properly main Samus outside of forcing approaches and grabbing. Really wish she had a boxing game.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Just wondering, any of you guys have found some good new Metroid music on the Wii U ver. yet?
Well, there's the remix of the Title theme that appears on the Pyrosphere stage, and it sounds sounds amazing to me. They've included a track or two from Other M, the Ridley theme from Brawl, Other M, and the Meta Ridley theme, the music from the Vorash fight, and the rest are mostly tunes from Brawl. I don't remember all of them at the moment, but the ones that are included were good choices to me, all-in-all.

SO! I actually played some online battles today, namely For Glory 1v1s. I just barely lost my first match to a Falco, but the rest of the fights that I used Samus in, I won just about all of them. I like how she plays in this one! At first, I was on the fence about her new Nair, but I find that it's actually pretty quick and helpful when you're chasing someone off the stage. Screw Attack is awesome, and the Grapple Beam is great, but I do miss missile cancelling. I've noticed that her second jab hit has some decent knockback at higher percentages, but good luck hitting with it. If you're gonna jab, it's usually best to follow with a tilt, or just roll away, or just avoid using it altogether until the enemy has a high enough percentage.

I started messing with custom moves, and I like how I got a run upgrade that puts and energy field around me and lets me damage people by just running into them. I immediately thought of Samus' Speed Booster. lol

Also, I'm not sure how many have seen this, but I tested her first Bomb custom, the Slip Bomb, and while we all know it trips, I found out that can spike! Very tricky to hit with the darn thing, but I actually planted it on the edge of the stage, and the CPU I was messing with tried grabbing the ledge, only to be cut off by the explosion which sent it straight down to the blast zone. This also works if both you and your opponent are airborne. Now whether it can easily be recovered out of, I'm not sure, as I have't tested it with a friend yet, but I thought I'd bring it up in case the rest of y'all wanted to give it a try!

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well, there's the remix of the Title theme that appears on the Pyrosphere stage, and it sounds sounds amazing to me. They've included a track or two from Other M, the Ridley theme from Brawl, Other M, and the Meta Ridley theme, the music from the Vorash fight, and the rest are mostly tunes from Brawl. I don't remember all of them at the moment, but the ones that are included were good choices to me, all-in-all.

SO! I actually played some online battles today, namely For Glory 1v1s. I just barely lost my first match to a Falco, but the rest of the fights that I used Samus in, I won just about all of them. I like how she plays in this one! At first, I was on the fence about her new Nair, but I find that it's actually pretty quick and helpful when you're chasing someone off the stage. Screw Attack is awesome, and the Grapple Beam is great, but I do miss missile cancelling. I've noticed that her second jab hit has some decent knockback at higher percentages, but good luck hitting with it. If you're gonna jab, it's usually best to follow with a tilt, or just roll away, or just avoid using it altogether until the enemy has a high enough percentage.

I started messing with custom moves, and I like how I got a run upgrade that puts and energy field around me and lets me damage people by just running into them. I immediately thought of Samus' Speed Booster. lol

Also, I'm not sure how many have seen this, but I tested her first Bomb custom, the Slip Bomb, and while we all know it trips, I found out that can spike! Very tricky to hit with the darn thing, but I actually planted it on the edge of the stage, and the CPU I was messing with tried grabbing the ledge, only to be cut off by the explosion which sent it straight down to the blast zone. This also works if both you and your opponent are airborne. Now whether it can easily be recovered out of, I'm not sure, as I have't tested it with a friend yet, but I thought I'd bring it up in case the rest of y'all wanted to give it a try!

Thanks, though i already knew about those, personally, i prefer the Escape Theme remix, but then again i'm hoping for music from other games and not just the first one.
Let me know if there are other Metroid collectable songs, i'd really appreciate it.

angelar

Smash Rookie
Why do I sometimes get Nair when I'm trying to Zair, especially when trying to grapple onto the edge? I get this not infrequently in matches but I can't reproduce it in training reliably at all. I'm guessing it has to do with how the "Z button" is just a macro for R + A, but is there an obvious explanation for this? Getting Nair when I'm trying to recover ruins matches all the time.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Hey guys, I've started using Samus as a secondary and I was wondering what are the best options for racking up damage with her. I usually go for dash-attack -> up-air or d-throw -> up-air, but I don't know if there are any other good options.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Probably best to check here http://smashboards.com/threads/combos.375117/

But my favourites are:
D Throw > Fair/Uair (I like to mix it up to avoid making either too stale)
Dash Attack > Uair > Uair (Can also Up B instead of 2nd Uair but a lot riskier)
D Tilt > Fair
Missiles + Charge Shot
U Tilt/Dair Stage Spike > Uair/Up B

You can also use uncharged Neutral B (double tap B) to make it easier to land Dash Attacks

Last edited:

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Probably best to check here http://smashboards.com/threads/combos.375117/

But my favourites are:
D Throw > Fair/Uair (I like to mix it up to avoid making either too stale)
Dash Attack > Uair > Uair (Can also Up B instead of 2nd Uair but a lot riskier)
D Tilt > Fair
Missiles + Charge Shot
U Tilt/Dair Stage Spike > Uair/Up B

You can also use uncharged Neutral B (double tap B) to make it easier to land Dash Attacks
If you time it right it's also possible to Dash Attack/DThrow > Upair > Upair > UpB. Works on Greninja around 6%, works on Cap Falcon around 20%

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Whilst practicing fast fall Bair in training mode, i noticed bowser jr takes 10/13/16 dmg as opposed to the standard (as far as I know) 9/12/14.

Is doing different dmg to different characters a thing or is it a bug? And does it happen for any other Character than Bowser Jr?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I think Bowser Jr takes damage depending on where you hit him. So aim for the little guy in the clown vehicle if you have the option. Also his weight is different when he ejects, he's quite light if you happen to hit him then!

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Samus feels so clunky and bad in this game. I can't combo or string attacks together and I can't even space or kill well enough to make up for it. I think post E3 build samus got insanely nerfed.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Whilst practicing fast fall Bair in training mode, i noticed bowser jr takes 10/13/16 dmg as opposed to the standard (as far as I know) 9/12/14.

Is doing different dmg to different characters a thing or is it a bug? And does it happen for any other Character than Bowser Jr?
Damage is as follows for Koopalings:

Direct body - 1.15% normal damage
Koopa Clown Car - 0.88% normal damage

Mussy

Smash Rookie
Just played a bunch of samus dittos with a "Samoose" in for Glory... would love to get dat friend code one day...
Hey, yea.. I think that was me. Would be kinda surprised if there are more than one Samoose out there. FC up and go again sometime?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Does anybody have any tips on how to combo into kill-moves at high %'s other than with Spin Dash/Charge?

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Samus' up air is amazingggggggg.

dthrow > uair > screw attack, uair, or fair is a free 25+ percent.

Not to mention the priority on the attack. People need to stop sleeping on my girl.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
lol @ you thinking Nintendo's opinion that Samus was the best actually mattered
Sakurai's opinion matters... In the end he's the one who makes all the calls regarding balance changes...
Samus' up air is amazingggggggg.

dthrow > uair > screw attack, uair, or fair is a free 25+ percent.

Not to mention the priority on the attack. People need to stop sleeping on my girl.
You can DI out of both of those throw combos and you can leave yourself open to so many attacks if you use Screw Attack on the stage and whiff. I'll never understand why people in For Glory use this type of attack so often, I get so many punishes from terrible Up-B attacks.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Both combos? There's only one combo listed with your choice of ender. Dthrow into Uair can be DI'd out of but if your opponent choses not to your best option would be to follow them with an upair and at low % you can guarantee another uair or screw attack.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
GoundZero996 is right actually. They are not real combos, and despite all the boosts I'm finding small things really irritating me. The up-air at high percents can kill, but it is often DI escapable. You have to hit with much of her body to keep the multi-hit going. I'm actually finding Samus' air priority to not be so hot and her ground based priority to not be so bad. It's still early, and the cast and possible angles for all these hit/hurt boxes is huge, but right now I find myself focusing more on the ground, the game tracks these stats incidentally.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
hi metroid players

i just did all star mode on hard with metroid and i have to say... his ground attacks have terrible blind spots on them >.<

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Is there any positive effect of being a floaty like jiggly and Samus? How does Samus benefit from being floaty? I can't find any. It only makes her far to easy to juggle.
It's moments of realization like these that make me wanna produce a better fighting game. Can anyone find a reason for this characteristic game design wise? Only explanation I can come up with is Sakurai wanted Samus to feel like her Super Metroid self so it felt like you were fighting with an authentic replica of the SM Samus. Though, why not make her closer to her Other M physics is another question. You also have to wonder what the point of using a platformer's physics in a fighting game would improve gameplay (which it didn't).
Just a question for those interested in game design.

(sorry if this isn't the place for the post. Mah Bad)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Being floaty allows you to come back to the stage better than someone super heavy like Shulk (shield)....ect

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Being floaty allows you to come back to the stage better than someone super heavy like Shulk (shield)....ect
but doesn't Samus have terrible horizontal movement for a floaty? And she has her bombs to recover back to the stage so it makes her one advantage with this characteristic pointless. Still don't see a reason to prefer floaty over spacey when you have her awesome recovery options.

Xyro77

No, her horizontal recovery is not bad at all. Bombs to 2nd jump to Zair or up+b will get you pretty much any where you want once thrown off stage.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
No, her horizontal recovery is not bad at all. Bombs to 2nd jump to Zair or up+b will get you pretty much any where you want once thrown off stage.
I'd just like to know what a fast-falling samus would be like. How much of a benefit would it be?

Xyro77

Nair/Bair/zair all have low lag if fast falled. Fast falled UAIR is by far the best of the moves.

Go to my "learn about samus" thread a few inches below this thread and watch the videos I posted. I use FF uairs a lot.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Hey guys, is there a control over Samus's Forward Tilt? I've noticed that sometimes she does it to the front, sometimes a bit up and sometimes down. I always let this happen without caring too much about it, but don't know if this has important effects. Does the hitbox change? Damage? Knockback? Tell me all you know.

Xyro77

Hey guys, is there a control over Samus's Forward Tilt? I've noticed that sometimes she does it to the front, sometimes a bit up and sometimes down. I always let this happen without caring too much about it, but don't know if this has important effects. Does the hitbox change? Damage? Knockback? Tell me all you know.

If you F-tilt and angle the control stick slightly up, the tilt will be a different direction. the same can be said for angled down.

Go to my "learn about samus" thread, check the OP and read the posts. you will learn alot.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...arn-about-samus-here-2nd-update-on-op.377587/

speaking of that^ thread. I need a good picture to use for the opening post of that thread. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Samus' dash attack canceled pivot grab is a LOT better than normal pivot grab, sharing in case this isn't known.

Tasokun

Smash Cadet
Samus' dash attack canceled pivot grab is a LOT better than normal pivot grab, sharing in case this isn't known.
How does one perform this? And how much better is it exactly, it sounds interesting.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
How does one perform this? And how much better is it exactly, it sounds interesting.
You slide far enough that the end of the grappling beam is where you were initially standing.

Last edited:

Tasokun

Smash Cadet
How do you cancel a dash attack though?
Edit: Nevermind, for anyone still wondering, go here; http://smashboards.com/threads/so-i-discovered-dash-attack-cancel-grab.369601/

I tried this earlier before asking, and it seemed to be the same length as just a regular dash grab, so I assumed it wasn't what you guys were talking about; but after trying it a bit more, I realized it IS a little bit longer/faster.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Zair at platform level blocks zair for some reason, careful with that all. Try it with a sh and a brief delay, then zair.

Top Bottom