• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

samus vs sonic

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
You outrange many of his moves. Since his moves are always low priority, you can knock him out of many attacks.

If he decides to approach via ground, Zair often and grab out his spin attack.
If he approaches via air, screwattack or uair or nair.
If he is below you about to Uair or B, lay bombs, bombs, and nairs. (Avoid this happening at all times.)
If he lays on intense pressure, OoS screwattack.
Is he predicting the screwattacks? Lay bombs and punish if he gets careless.

Fire is good for you. But if he doesn't let you touch the ground, switch to ice and lay some bombs to stop Uairs.

No matter what you do, never underestimate how fast he can run up to you. If you knock him far and you begin to charge your beam, he'll teleport next to you faster than you can even set up for. You may only be able to shoot out one missile before he is in your space again.

Stay away from Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi Story. Choose FD, Lylat Cruise, Dreamland, or Skyworld. Samus rarely kills characters through the ceiling. But Sonic can, and Sonic does it well. These stages have high/medium ceilings for you to work with. They aren't the best choice as Sonic moves very recklessly, but do allow you to limit his options while you expand yours.

Sonic is a very good punisher. But, he has problems getting out of counter-punishment. Unfortunately, Samus doesn't have a very good punish compared to other characters. But you gotta make it work.

Here is a vid for tips. Both Darky and Wes play Samus+Sonic. Even as much as I like to say, "I love kicking ass as Spamus," I am better at playing as Sonic.
Wes Vs. Darky (Sonic Wins)
Vs. Sonic (Darky) Starts 1:47:00

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
You outrange many of his moves. Since his moves are always low priority, you can knock him out of many attacks.

If he decides to approach via ground, Zair often and grab out his spin attack.
If he approaches via air, screwattack or uair or nair.
If he is below you about to Uair or B, lay bombs, bombs, and nairs. (Avoid this happening at all times.)
If he lays on intense pressure, OoS screwattack.
Is he predicting the screwattacks? Lay bombs and punish if he gets careless.

Fire is good for you. But if he doesn't let you touch the ground, switch to ice and lay some bombs to stop Uairs.

No matter what you do, never underestimate how fast he can run up to you. If you knock him far and you begin to charge your beam, he'll teleport next to you faster than you can even set up for. You may only be able to shoot out one missile before he is in your space again.

Stay away from Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi Story. Choose FD, Lylat Cruise, Dreamland, or Skyworld. Samus rarely kills characters through the ceiling. But Sonic can, and Sonic does it well. These stages have high/medium ceilings for you to work with. They aren't the best choice as Sonic moves very recklessly, but do allow you to limit his options while you expand yours.

Sonic is a very good punisher. But, he has problems getting out of counter-punishment. Unfortunately, Samus doesn't have a very good punish compared to other characters. But you gotta make it work.

Here is a vid for tips. Both Darky and Wes play Samus+Sonic. Even as much as I like to say, "I love kicking *** as Spamus," I am better at playing as Sonic.
Wes Vs. Darky (Sonic Wins)
Vs. Sonic (Darky) Starts 1:47:00
Ok cyber, lets stop giving such in depth advice when you are wrong for the majority of it... lets start at the beginning
if he is approaching on the ground, you have a ton of options, but most importantly, missile spam first and foremost when the stage permits... which you pretty much got rid of all stages where you can spam... Just because a stage has a low ceiling doesn't mean you should stay away from them, they have their pros and cons and having platforms is a HUGE NECESSITY in samuses game, with samus's worst stage being FD.... "Samus doesn't have a very good punish compared to other characters".... are you kidding me? Yeah samus has a freaking charge shot which you can first and foremost missile cancel into charge shot for 36%... :/ name another character with a punish that strong :/, sonic is not a good punisher, just good at covering options and following up combos, not necessarily a strong punisher.... Lets get back to the above you, on ground, intense pressure.... You bascially just listed options samus has for each, and not all of them are optimal, on the ground you want to be dash dancing around into shield so sonic hits your shield and bounces off for you to get a free punish, and throwing out forward titls for spacing, another option is stay in crawl and retreat as sonic approaches, which gives you the options of: up tilt, d tilt, ftilt, fsmash, rising nair, ect... Sonic has samus beat in speed hands down, but samus is mobile in other ways that make it an interesting MU. Sonic doesn't have 'intense or really safe pressure' at all, so you never really need to up b OoS in this MU, but rather just bait out attacks from the sonic, or even nair OoS. Lastly, "is he predicting the screwattacks? Lay bombs and punish if he gets careless." I don't know if you understand how poor that advice is, but you basically go from telling to not up B OoS into... just laying bombs... and punish on the chance they are careless.... Instead you can say, if the sonic starts baiting out your up b OoS, you can retreat and lay bombs to stop sonic approaching you on the ground and force him to at least jump so your nair can out prioritize in most trades sonic will try to make. The sonic MU is a *****, however most sonics will just try to abuse their speed over you and try to run laps around you, you just need to be patient in this match up and capitalize on opporunities when they come up. One thing I noticed when playing this MU is because a lot of sonics moves are multihit, the CC downsmash doesn't really apply in this MU for samus's defensive options.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
how do you beat sonic, he can outrange your zair and run and grab you before you hit the ground...can't space vs him whatsoever
To address your first post... I dont know if you understand what range is, but unless you count sonic as a projectile, samus out ranges sonic in ALMOST EVERY SINGLE MOVE SAMUS HAS.... :/ Zair... Ftilt, Fsmash, and Missiles all have a much longer reach than any of sonic's hitboxes......

asd_

Smash Cadet
was hastily written, just saying that if hes dash dancing and you miss zair cause he's out of range he can still get to you before you hit the ground, lol

Litt

Samus
was hastily written, just saying that if hes dash dancing and you miss zair cause he's out of range he can still get to you before you hit the ground, lol
Then don't just throw out the zair, and on small stages when he is dash dancing on the ground, the zair would cover most of the stage... if you are still being punished for it... then perhaps zair is not the best choice for this MU in the neutral game, and you should just switch to ice, force sonic to approach with missile spam, and hold down your neutral from melee with tilts and jab pressure, and when sonic gets off the ground, punish with the ice fair and up smash

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I lay lots of bombs down before I do things like go for missle cancle's or zairs. It prevents him from simply rushing in on you during your short hop. I find the constant bomb walls in neutral critical in slowing Sonic down to a pace Samus can handle.

Top Bottom