• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus QOTD

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks! I do appreciate the comment.

I think it is possible, not crazy, the game clearly has leaned towards more melee level shields we could see more hitstun. At least for the big hits. At one point I think there was a famitsu article about how Sakurai said he was upset to see DDD get destroyed by Zero's diddy kong, with very few smash attacks coming out and very few big hits.
Sakurai: Make the big hits GOOD.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I would've voted for D-air buff, but I read no sourspot removal or buff. Our sourspot is disgustingly weak. Spike increase to about D's F-air. I'd love it to be powerful like Ganon's, but that ain't happening.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I would've voted for D-air buff, but I read no sourspot removal or buff. Our sourspot is disgustingly weak. Spike increase to about D's F-air. I'd love it to be powerful like Ganon's, but that ain't happening.
Nah, our dair is pretty well balanced and we have one of the strongest sour spots in the game on our dair. Even the early hit is tolerably strong.

That said, new QOTD:

Would you rather have an autocancel fair on SH, or a fair with guaranteed autolink?

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Nah, our dair is pretty well balanced and we have one of the strongest sour spots in the game on our dair. Even the early hit is tolerably strong.

That said, new QOTD:

Would you rather have an autocancel fair on SH, or a fair with guaranteed autolink?
Auto Cancel. I can make do with Fair linking far better than USmash. So being auto cancelled, I could create quite a painful defensive "wall" with SH Zair Uair and Fairs. Not to mention more pressure against people when going on offense too.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice

That said, new QOTD:

Definitely autocancelled. Without question

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Autocancel sh fair would make us one of the best sheik counters in the game and probably a high tier overall, people falling out is frustrating but autocancel is far more useful

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Fair already connects all its hits more reliably than the melee or brawl fair, so being able to autocancel too would be incredible. Looking at all the options autocancelled up air gives us, imagine how much more flexible Samus would be with an autocancelled fair too....

Boney

Smash Apprentice
I got a good one. Would you rather have a considerable buffed projectile game or buffing her cqc game.

Projectile game buff would/could include:
Considerable less end lag on homing missiles, able to maintain aerial momentum while firing missiles, and better homing capabilities on missiles. Super missiles having a lot more knockback growth, being able to kill at higher %. Starting at full speed from the get go (some might consider a need I guess).
Bombs exploding on contact.
Being able to charge while airborne, having less end lag on getting the full charge (being able to shield immediately), smaller window where you can lose your shot if interrupted and a slightly faster start up while firing airborne.
Zair doing 2 and 5%
Getting a kill throw

Vs

Old ftilt back
Slightly bigger hitbox for fsmash
First hit of up smash scoops grounded opponents like Marth
Down smash hit 2 can kill.
Dtilt can kill at 160%
Jab 1 and 2 connects (jab 2 doing 5% instead)
Up tilt being untechable
Having less end lag on grab.
Bigger hit box for dair.

I realize all this stuff would make her pretty op, but still it's for ****s and giggles. I think the CQC stuff would make her a better character but the long range stuff makes her more unique for the cast so I'd go with the long range buff.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I got a good one. Would you rather have a considerable buffed projectile game or buffing her cqc game.

Considerable less end lag on homing missiles, able to maintain aerial momentum while firing missiles, and better homing capabilities on missiles. Super missiles having a lot more knockback growth, being able to kill at higher %. Starting at full speed from the get go (some might consider a need I guess).
Being able to charge while airborne, having less end lag on getting the full charge (being able to shield immediately), smaller window where you can lose your shot if interrupted and a slightly faster start up while firing airborne.
Zair doing 2 and 5%
Getting a kill throw

Vs

Old ftilt back
Dtilt can kill at 160%
Up tilt being untechable
Bigger hit box for dair.

I realize all this stuff would make her pretty op, but still it's for ****s and giggles. I think the CQC stuff would make her a better character but the long range stuff makes her more unique for the cast so I'd go with the long range buff.
I have always played Samus a bit more aggressive so CQC for me. Tbh it's not her projectiles I struggle with, its the lack of flow for her normals. That's my opinion however.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Zair doing 2 and 5%
Getting a kill throw
This first group is like very good for Samus. The second group wasn't so much for Samus because she already does terrible against characters who are way too up close for her. First group strengthens what she already does.

And I'd go for the auto-canceled F-air. The only time it doesn't connect is if you do it wrong; too close or too low. I also feel like the move has freeze frames on shield. Getting rid of that would make this move. I was playing with Disorient's ZSS yesterday, and F-air caught him so many times out of a SH retreat. It was a great stuff to ZS and Sheik's aerial approaches. Chose the first because that stuff wouldn't exactly stop charactersfrom going in on Samus. But at least Up Smash OoS would work. Auto-canceled F-air with the first group? Amazing.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
CQC, Samus would have better answers to offensive pressure, which generally goes a longer way than zoning does anyway. Having people like a good Sheik and Mario getting in your face for free is not a very satisfying feeling...

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
So for todays QOTD: What is your reasoning for playing Samus? Is it her playstyle? Fan of the series? Specific tools she possesses? Lemme hear it :)

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I'd take the projectile buffs, since if she had those a better cqc game wouldn't be necessary, and the buffs you listed would be really nice

I play Samus just for her playstyle, and I initially picked her up cuz landing the CS was just so satisfying.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
So for todays QOTD: What is your reasoning for playing Samus? Is it her playstyle? Fan of the series? Specific tools she possesses? Lemme hear it :)
I was 6 when I played Metroid and Super....creeped me out and I've been in love ever since. Super hi-tech armor is awesome...Samus, Isaac Clarke, Iron Man etc

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I've messed with her on and off and developed mindgames with a bunch of her tools that I wouldn't use with anyone else (CS conditioning, morph ball bombs, frame traps with missiles, etc.), after getting told by alot of people that they loved my Samus, even to the point of performing better with her than anyone else for the most part optimally (2ManyCooks was even impressed), I decided to buckle down and play her seriously. I'm also a big fan of the series, been into the games since elementary, so there's that I suppose.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman

Zair doing 2 and 5%
Getting a kill throw

Vs

Old ftilt back
Dtilt can kill at 160%
Up tilt being untechable
Bigger hit box for dair.

Projectile buffs please. Her CQC is good enough for me now.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Why? I have two reasons.

1) My first Metroid game was MOM (we all agree how much it sucks). Maining Samus "proved" I was a real Metroid fan (LOL. Oh boy am I lying to myself).

2) I had a friend, the hard-core feminist type, right before this game came out, who said Samus was nothin but eye-candy; someone not to be taken seriously. I want to prove her wrong. (this is also a reason why I don't play Zamus, cuz of her sexualization.)

otherwise, nothing. I planned on maining Link after trying the sm4sh demo and because I liked playing him the most in melee (non-competitively). I actually hated playing Samus at first. Everything about her, her movements and physics were disgusting to me. Eventually I settled down with her and put effort into maining her (even if I quit the game twice now).

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699

Zair doing 2 and 5%
Getting a kill throw

Vs

Old ftilt back
Dtilt can kill at 160%
Up tilt being untechable
Bigger hit box for dair.

Projectile buff.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really use Samus at all in Smash 4 until I realized I had to. Had to learn Samus because I thought it'd be the right thing to do with my forever new addiction. I main Samus because I like nothing else more. No tier list or foul talk could ever deter me.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really use Samus at all in Smash 4 until I realized I had to. Had to learn Samus because I thought it'd be the right thing to do with my forever new addiction. I main Samus because I like nothing else more. No tier list or foul talk could ever deter me.
addiction to what?

Boney

Smash Apprentice
I mained Snake in brawl (so op, loved it) but used Samus as a secondary. And I'm all out of snake now haha. I like her because I'm a big fan of the 2d games and I like her playstyle in this game. Not gonna lie, was hoping for some of the Other M badassery to slip in here, imagine down throw being the point blank shot with the foot above them *drools*, but she still came out alright here. I actually tried maining Megaman when I got the game but it was too hard for me to be learn him properly.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
May I suggest a QOTD? What moves would you like reworked/replaced and what actions would your want? For example, if I were Sakurai, Samus's nair would be a "Screwattack" similar to Mewtwo's nair. Samus would also be able to crawl. Down throw would be an "action-take down" from MOM.

GreenApple

Smash Rookie
Hey

I want to ask the following: how do you space when you have your opponent close? Since jab and f-tilt sourspot have so little knockback, and all the other moves need too much commitment.
I am having a lot of trouble with this. I often choose up-b but is risky.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
I love Samus's cqc. I'm not at all a fan of missiles. Buff those, above all else. Normal missiles do 0 kb and 5%. Garbage. If they had almost no endlag, they would be functional and not even close to being overpowered.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
May I suggest a QOTD? What moves would you like reworked/replaced and what actions would your want? For example, if I were Sakurai, Samus's nair would be a "Screwattack" similar to Mewtwo's nair. Samus would also be able to crawl. Down throw would be an "action-take down" from MOM.
I like Dthrow as it is. I'd rather change B or F throw to like a slam with her flipping around head locking the opponent then blasting them in the face from Other M.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
When and how did it start? MOM won you over with its polish and wonderful story, didn't it?
It's hilarious that you brought up MOM. It's like you knew...

Yes, Metroid Other M is my favorite game. And it made me feel much more pride for Samus than never before. I even plan on getting Mario Maker and Monster Hunter.

And honestly, Samus needs some CQC. She can't even fight sloppy Macs anymore because he just 'slips' right through everything. She cannot fight anyone who is way too close for her to deal with. And she can't get away from them with her frame 60 moves with 30 frames end lag. Super slow running speed, too. It can get to be quite a lock down.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice

Yes, Metroid Other M is my favorite game. And it made me feel much more pride for Samus than never before. I even plan on getting Mario Maker and Monster Hunter.

And honestly, Samus needs some CQC. She can't even fight sloppy Macs anymore because he just 'slips' right through everything. She cannot fight anyone who is way too close for her to deal with. And she can't get away from them with her frame 60 moves with 30 frames end lag. Super slow running speed, too. It can get to be quite a lock down.
Yah it kinda sucks when you are intending on starting a combo, but the other play just has to spam the A button to get out without issue.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman

wait...what? How was MOM yur fav? Im one of the few Samus mains to not hate it, but I still think its mediocre. What do u see in it? Was it the story, the writing? I mean no offense, feel free to like the game, its just... you are the first person I know who openly likes the game.

So you plan on getting Mario Maker and Monster Hunter, just because they have Samus related DLC? You do have an addiction.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
wait...what? How was MOM yur fav? Im one of the few Samus mains to not hate it, but I still think its mediocre. What do u see in it? Was it the story, the writing? I mean no offense, feel free to like the game, its just... you are the first person I know who openly likes the game.

So you plan on getting Mario Maker and Monster Hunter, just because they have Samus related DLC? You do have an addiction.
Don't forget Bayonetta as well

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Hey

I want to ask the following: how do you space when you have your opponent close? Since jab and f-tilt sourspot have so little knockback, and all the other moves need too much commitment.
I am having a lot of trouble with this. I often choose up-b but is risky.
I usually SHAD (shorthop airdodge) to try and get out followed by a bair or uair.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
I love Samus's cqc. I'm not at all a fan of missiles. Buff those, above all else. Normal missiles do 0 kb and 5%. Garbage. If they had almost no endlag, they would be functional and not even close to being overpowered.
Bruh imagine short hop auto canceled missiles oml

Last edited:

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
If you could have PM Samus' F-smash or up-smash transferred to Smash4, which one would you pick?

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Most likely I'd say USmash....I can't remember what they are tho. Ice was a cut upward....fires was one explosion?

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I meant fire version in Pm. It basically connects a lot easier, but does not have as much kill power as smash4 up smash

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Sorry I meant fire version in Pm. It basically connects a lot easier, but does not have as much kill power as smash4 up smash
I'd say the USmash then. Not to many people worry about it atm because of seldom we use it. And it's just more damage we can tack on and use to refresh the stale queue

Top Bottom