• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I noticed you using bombs quite a few times when you would retreat. Is that a pretty god option? I don't see that strategy used often
In match ups where your opponent is forced to approach, yes they are, for shield pressure/force aerial approaches and to give you time to charge up

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
It's not as safe as it looks, the enemy can just dash/jump through it and attack you if he is quick enough but it's very good against slow characters and once the super missile is out it creates a wall of hitbox right in front of you.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Made my third and final 3DS montage, I now have a Capture Card so all future ones will be pristine HD Wii U quality, for now though I hope you enjoy!

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
It's not as safe as it looks, the enemy can just dash/jump through it and attack you if he is quick enough but it's very good against slow characters and once the super missile is out it creates a wall of hitbox right in front of you.
So since you were using it against C. Falcon (a pretty fast character) were you just comfortable enough with the match where you felt like you could use the bombs?

_gold_

Smash Master
I'm starting to really enjoy Samus. Here's a couple of more snippets from my gameplay:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
:4samus: vs. :4falcon:

@ HououGold79
Nice use of double jump D-Air.
At 3:16 when you were hanging on the ledge and guarding against Cap's recovery, you did something that I'm not sure I've seen before. it almost looks like Samus used her shoulder ram animation from her dash attack but from the air? What am I seeing here?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
At 3:16 when you were hanging on the ledge and guarding against Cap's recovery, you did something that I'm not sure I've seen before. it almost looks like Samus used her shoulder ram animation from her dash attack but from the air? What am I seeing here?
He did a Bair just as Captain Falcon Grabbed him with his up B, so that animation was Samus being released from the grab

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Really nice b-air -> b-air -> Reverse CS at 3:30 @ Afro Smash Afro Smash . Now finally someone has landed that string in actual game.

And welcome to the HD club. :p

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Finally landed dirty bomb post patch. Guy played a bunch of matches with me. He left immediately after getting dirty bombed. I think part of the beauty of the move is that they are stunned, thinking, oh I'm too low of percent to die... What is Samus doing? ... Why bomb?... NOOOOOOO! As this gets more visibility it won't be as shocking, but much fun will be had in the mean time.

I sent the replay to a bunch of folks. It's vs Yoshi with him at 44% so fsmash wouldn't have killed. Someone with capture please upload or potato quality will arrive later.

Also, not in the replay, but you can get a gimp kill on yoshi with bombs if he uses he double jump and the bomb pushes him over the edge before he hits the ground. :)

ETA: I apologize for all the rolls many of them were miss input shad but others were just dumb. This was deep into a play session so we were pretty heavily adapting. He stopped using egg approaches because I had zaird him a bunch. Anyway potato:

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So I looked some more at the shield break I got on Yoshi and it looks legit. Yoshi should have a full shield when I hit it with the super missile. He even releases and reshields before the CS. The break DOES happen while Yoshi is still sliding. The super missile was fresh, the CS had one CS in the last spot of the stale queue. This is potentially HUGE in the yoshi matchup. If SM -> CS is a shield break vs. Yoshi, that's a major plus.

Edit: the shield break math (as I understand it) is 10.5% + 5% for the super missile ~25% +3% for the CS. That only gives 43.5 shield damage. That means I needs 6.5% of "damage" due to yoshi being in shield. Typically to get a projectile only shield break you have to hit missile -> SM -> CS.

EDIT:
Even adding shield time shield up 2:40.38, unshield at 2:39.9, shield at 2:39.5, break at 2:39.3 we only get 4.6 damage (0.6*7.7). Even if we apply freshness to the bonus shield damage, it doesn't quite get there. It is remotely possible that shields have less than 50 HP after the patch, that shield depletion is faster than previous tests, or that we got a shield damage bonus on SM or CS.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
There is a 40 frame teching cooldown. If he missed the first tech (on the utilt stage spike) late he was unable to tech the landing. If he didn't try to tech the first hit, he could have teched the landing.

Likewise, if you stage spike someone after an air dodge, they cannot tech off the stage.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ Xygonn Xygonn where are you getting all this great info on teching from? I've been asking questions about frame data on teching for months now...

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
:4samus: vs. :4sheik:

A very good Sheik. The last kill is guaranteed and IMO the best option to "gimp" Sheik.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
It looked like you were able to get out of shiek's f-air chains with u-air... That would solve a lot of the match-up problems for me. Does that really work consistently?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ KayJay KayJay I've been trying to do that for like 3 weeks now and there you go posting it... and some damn nice SH-AD and AD stage recovery on top of that.

In certain matchups I think it's very beneficial to jump off stage reversed. @ Afro Smash Afro Smash should probably add it to the matchup 2.0 thread.
I find it's really hard to f-air even a poor sheik player off stage, the b-air and slight faster d-air sour-spot are better options and the tether trump is the only way you're realistically going to get one.
A good Shiek will always assume you've become the prey now, for the b-air from ledge cling, when in fact, they can be the hunted...

@ MegaRiff MegaRiff I've had a terrible work week, I probably won't get around to posting full matches until next week/weekend...

@ leiraD leiraD Yes. Up-air trades with Sheik f-air if you are slightly higher than she is. Up-air is your universal combo breaker (n-air situational). Air-dodge is NOT a good option. Go for the trade. Sheik cannot actually true-combo Samus very much at all, they are almost always tight strings, and avoidable.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
:4samus: vs. :4sheik:

A very good Sheik. The last kill is guaranteed and IMO the best option to "gimp" Sheik.
So regarding that last kill (which @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster has been trying to do for 3 weeks no less). I might have missed this in the various threads, sorry if it's already been covered, but what exactly are the inputs for ledge trump -> b-air combo?

I've been trying to do it too (without the the tether for now, I'll tackle that challenge later), and I thought it was snap away from the ledge (by pushing the stick in the horizontal direction, not the down direction), jump, then b-air. But... I'm assuming this is not the right way to do it?

Oh, and really cool use of landing u-air into the standing Sheik -> UpB (3:23 and again at 3:47). Nice to use when you're right on your opponent regardless of which direction you end up facing.

Last edited:

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Since there isn't an abundance of Samus tournament videos out there I thought I'd share. Fair warning there was an SD on the first match, so he's not the best opponent (I was surprised he didn't go for any absorbs,) but I think it's worth a watch.

Also, I recommend no sound lol. Not stellar commentary.

Always open to tips. This was a few weeks back, and I actually managed to go 2-1 and get 9th in tournament before I had to leave early. I was pretty pleased considering it's the first time I went my secondary. She's a lot of fun :)

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Since there isn't an abundance of Samus tournament videos out there I thought I'd share. Fair warning there was an SD on the first match, so he's not the best opponent (I was surprised he didn't go for any absorbs,) but I think it's worth a watch.

Also, I recommend no sound lol. Not stellar commentary.

Always open to tips. This was a few weeks back, and I actually managed to go 2-1 and get 9th in tournament before I had to leave early. I was pretty pleased considering it's the first time I went my secondary. She's a lot of fun :)
Really nice play, watching this has actually changed my mind a lil bit about the mega bomb custom, I think I'll mess around with it some more.

Not much tips I could offer besides this one thing that works for me against the less experienced Ness players, whenever I get D-thrown at low % I always DI above them, the less experienced players usually go for their F-airs anyway and miss, against the more experienced players though you'll usually just eat a single U-air.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Really nice play, watching this has actually changed my mind a lil bit about the mega bomb custom, I think I'll mess around with it some more.

Not much tips I could offer besides this one thing that works for me against the less experienced Ness players, whenever I get D-thrown at low % I always DI above them, the less experienced players usually go for their F-airs anyway and miss, against the more experienced players though you'll usually just eat a single U-air.
Thanks! I think mega bombs are reeeeeally solid. They seem to work the best for a majority of match ups (at least for my playstyle.) If I can get one out I generally get a free spot to camp and charge up for its duration.

One of the main problems with bomb in general was that the risk of going in as the opponent was always minimal compared to the reward you got going in and attacking Samus. With mega bomb the risk for the opponent is significantly higher at 9+% plus additional damage/follow ups, along with heavier shield damage. At the expense of detonate speed and bomb jump, I think it's pretty worth it. Certain match ups I'd rather go with default or slip though.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
2 things I'd note were I saw you going for Dair a lot whilst you were above Ness, generally Dair is too slow and low priority to beat out any Up Airs, particularly Ness' who has insane prio on all his Aerials, so AD/Mega Bomb/FF Uair are generally safer.

Also you can use the Mega Bomb as a frame trap of sorts if you get him off stage and lay it at the ledge, you can wait at the spot where he has to roll up and cover virtually all get up options, if he tries to wait out the bomb with his invincibility, Low Charge Shot!

Very solid overall though

A bo3 I had vs a good Mario, I go from good to garbage to good real quick, think i airdodged in tot he ground a bit too much too

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
2 things I'd note were I saw you going for Dair a lot whilst you were above Ness, generally Dair is too slow and low priority to beat out any Up Airs, particularly Ness' who has insane prio on all his Aerials, so AD/Mega Bomb/FF Uair are generally safer.

Also you can use the Mega Bomb as a frame trap of sorts if you get him off stage and lay it at the ledge, you can wait at the spot where he has to roll up and cover virtually all get up options, if he tries to wait out the bomb with his invincibility, Low Charge Shot!

Very solid overall though

A bo3 I had vs a good Mario, I go from good to garbage to good real quick
Your Up B OoS on the last match for the kill (10:03) was really solid. I'm re-watching that part and I'm not sure how you were able to read that would be a safe option.

Also love the use of b-airs, especially coming out of while you are charging CS (at 8:41, for example). I need to practice that some more, especially making the b-air come out as quick as possible in the transition from shield to jump. I am wondering to myself: can you just simultaneously press jump + shield to jump out of CS charging?

Edit: That was a good Mario indeed. His cape has real gimping power, that was impressive at 4:30 when he caped your Up B recovery causing you to fall and lose the stock.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Honestly when i get enemies tto that percent the only thing im lookin for is an up b, thats literally my only focus, so if i see an opening im ready. And yeah aerials out of shield from charging are really good, even great players ive faced struggle to see it coming, and combined with the ability to grab/roll/shield/fire out of it as your standard options, you can cover pretty much any approach.

To do it you have to input shield first, then just press jump any time after that, preferably as soon as possible but doing it quick takes a lot of practice, and i still occasionally mess it up and do a roll instead as i miss the jump or i hit it before i hit shield

Last edited:

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
I've noticed a lot of people like to SH in my charging space, so I'm thinking either SH oos upair or zair depending on their distance and the space they threaten.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
:4samus: vs. :4littlemac:

Just for the lulz because you can literally feel how his understanding of the metagame falls apart after he see's that his superarmor/roll abuse leads him nowhere against Samus.
You can really feel his anger. *evil grin*

Top Bottom