• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Counter?

piscaso

Smash Cadet
What are some characters that are good against Samus. My Dedede cannot handle...

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Most of the rushdown characters. Falco and fox in particular because of shine. Diddy can be a real nuisance because he can match your projectile spam and his command grab destroys your roll options. That small hitbox is annoying as well.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Villager can be scary if he nicks your charge shot, much more dangerous than reflector characters or Ness or Link (shield). Of the reflectors, Palutena is the easiest (in my opinion). Pit is also nothing to worry about. These tools are generally burdens, people get in a habit of protecting themselves, and the more you bait them into doing that, the more they stagnate and it infects their mental state. Ness' choice of offensive reflector (bat) AND absorber probably makes him the best against Samus.

Anyone can be tough if the player is good and knows Samus well enough.
I've had a difficult time against Jigglypuff of all people...

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Villager can be scary if he nicks your charge shot, much more dangerous than reflector characters or Ness or Link (shield). Of the reflectors, Palutena is the easiest (in my opinion). Pit is also nothing to worry about. These tools are generally burdens, people get in a habit of protecting themselves, and the more you bait them into doing that, the more they stagnate and it infects their mental state. Ness' choice of offensive reflector (bat) AND absorber probably makes him the best against Samus.

Anyone can be tough if the player is good and knows Samus well enough.
I've had a difficult time against Jigglypuff of all people...
A well placed up tilt and keeping her away with zair and bair can really shift the tides in your favor. Poking her from below with up air is also really good since Jiggly doesn't have the best options for landing against Samus, especially if you have a Charge Shot on deck.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I find villager to be the worst. To the point that I am also playing villager a ton to understand the holes. Tree block homing missile harassment. Pocketed charge shot are absurdly scary. His fair and bair have about the same range as Zair. Samus being tall makes the slingshot that much more annoying. Diddy I'm ok with. Utilt is your friend against diddy. I'm convinced Diddy is over rated, or maybe just a bunch of scrubs play him on FG hoping to win with a "high tier" character.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Sheik. So fast it's very difficult for Samus to punish her, she can avoid projectiles fairly easily with fastfalling jumps and bouncing fish, needles interrupting Charge Shot will set it back to uncharged.

Only problem is she lacks kill power and Samus is rather heavy, however she can still Edgeguard and get kills from around 130%

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Mario! He haves deadly follow ups with his grabs and one of his combos 60% damage or even 80%.

But mario is not the fastest fighter. Hes mostly a all-around fighter

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Samus doesn't have a hard counter in this game. It's not like rosaluma vs ness, which is so one sided it can be disgusting. She has bad matchups, some that remove or limit many moves. Even then, at equal skill, the advantages in her bad matchups I feel are not overwhelming. Definitely some uphill battles, but not *that* many and not *that* hard.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
After playing another decent Ness, he can actually be very difficult. His PK fire can mess up ledge play for Samus (Samus is usually very safe on the ledge). If you are tethered to the ledge, I guess Ness could also PK Thunder you, but realistically it probably won't happen unless they are a mindreader.

Another one, Sheik! Needles make it very difficult to charge Samus' arm cannon. Does anyone have any strategies for fighting Sheik?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
After playing another decent Ness, he can actually be very difficult. His PK fire can mess up ledge play for Samus (Samus is usually very safe on the ledge). If you are tethered to the ledge, I guess Ness could also PK Thunder you, but realistically it probably won't happen unless they are a mindreader.

Another one, Sheik! Needles make it very difficult to charge Samus' arm cannon. Does anyone have any strategies for fighting Sheik?
Don't charge while you are both in neutral. Utilt is good against sheik's bouncing fish. Sheik is fast so use dtilt and jabs in up close play.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
I find villager to be the worst. To the point that I am also playing villager a ton to understand the holes. Tree block homing missile harassment. Pocketed charge shot are absurdly scary. His fair and bair have about the same range as Zair. Samus being tall makes the slingshot that much more annoying. Diddy I'm ok with. Utilt is your friend against diddy. I'm convinced Diddy is over rated, or maybe just a bunch of scrubs play him on FG hoping to win with a "high tier" character.
You can zair through the tree.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Sheik. So fast it's very difficult for Samus to punish her, she can avoid projectiles fairly easily with fastfalling jumps and bouncing fish, needles interrupting Charge Shot will set it back to uncharged.

Only problem is she lacks kill power and Samus is rather heavy, however she can still Edgeguard and get kills from around 130%
I have the opportunity to play a Sheik main, and I was able to get away with beating him with Samus early on, but Sheik forces Samus to fight, and that's when you've really got to use the safest attacks against her.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Don't charge while you are both in neutral. Utilt is good against sheik's bouncing fish. Sheik is fast so use dtilt and jabs in up close play.
Not a chance can you react to a Bouncing Fish with an Up Tilt, the move is far too slow on start up, best you can do is spot dodge to ensure she has punishable landing lag

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble fighting Duck Hunt. His three specials all wall charge shot, and zair spacing is hard since he's a short character.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Not a chance can you react to a Bouncing Fish with an Up Tilt, the move is far too slow on start up, best you can do is spot dodge to ensure she has punishable landing lag
I'll take a video some time. Maybe I'm just making good reads on scrub players.

Top Bottom