• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Salute the Sun(A kinda interesting bit about Sun Salutation, with a Video.)

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about Salutation's windbox (?) earlier today, and I have to say it works like I assumed (okay, when I clicked this topic, I got my expectations a little high).
I mean, you could push someone away from the ledge when they're in free-fall, to not give them their Up-B again, but I think the opponent would have to be recovering from above the ledge for this to work more efficiently, as you'd probably get hit by the majority of Up-Bs if you tried it below the ledge; I don't think anyone is going to burn their recovery when they're that high up.

Thanks for showing it.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Well, I try and post any interesting bits I find about the game and see if they can develop into something more. I could see this potentially being somewhat a counter approach option, forcing them away with an almost fully charged one followed by firing it. It's hard to test without a partner though.

Thanks for the read/view.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
i found out some things. sometimes when a character with low range, mario, kirby, jiggly, throw out a move. sun pushing will make then whiff giving an oppertunity to punish. when some is in free fall offstage you can gimp them pretty well if you jump offstage with the sun. also when a character lands on it while charging, it will kinda stall them in the air so you can shoot it or grab.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
I was starting to notice this recently too. Not sure all the moves it affects, but I have noticed it when playing against Falco, when he does that zip dash I think it can prevent him from hitting you when your charge is large enough. It seems the sun might need to be partially charged a bit though, or else there might not be enough of a buffer to make them whiff.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Pushboxes like SS charging only effect neutral hurtboxes so if they're attacking it won't affect them at all (there might be some special cases but none that I noticed during testing back in like February), but will disrupt their momentum when they're trying to approach without any active hitboxes which can make them commit early to push through(which can be blocked and punished easily).

Most interesting thing about pushboxes is that they scale with damage so the push at 0% is similar to a regular windbox, while at 999% if they jump at the wrong time they can die. @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans might know more since he's the one that put me on to it's properties.

Pushboxes are weird.

Most pushboxes DON'T scale with damage, and rather have set knockback, meaning they will always apply the same amount of knockback to an opponent with x weight, regardless of percent. In fact, the only pushboxes I can think of that DO have scaling knockback are the charging pushboxes for Sun Salutation (Solar Wind? I'm coining it) and the pushboxes on Game & Watch's DTilt (and those do in fact deal damage, yet they don't make the target flinch, really weird).

Anyway yeah like @ ⑨ball ⑨ball said, the fact that Solar Wind actually scales means that it will push targets more the more damage they have, and like all pushboxes in this game, the knockback is increased if it is applied around the same time that they experience some sort of momentum change, like by jumping or using an UpB or something.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
also when a character lands on it while charging, it will kinda stall them in the air so you can shoot it or grab.
I was starting to notice this recently too. Not sure all the moves it affects, but I have noticed it when playing against Falco, when he does that zip dash I think it can prevent him from hitting you when your charge is large enough. It seems the sun might need to be partially charged a bit though, or else there might not be enough of a buffer to make them whiff.
Ahhh that would explain this weird solar windbox effect on ZSS from the other day

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Yep. It's really neat especially in the Sonic MU because they like to spring up and dair down.

Top Bottom