• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai suggests next Smash Bros game will be made without him

D

Deleted member

Here's what I find unfortunate: each time a new Smash game is made, they basically make it from scratch, run out of time, and we have a few things to be disappointed about (not so much with Melee--it seemed in every way an improvement).

At least for now, I don't want another Smash game. What I would like is ongoing support for Smash (especially in this age of DLC) so that all those lower priorities or things that couldn't happen because of 'time restraints' get in the game (at least Mewtwo is coming!!).

And that goes for future installments. Some people may complain about returning stages or reused content, but now that Smash 4 has entered the scene in HD with well balanced gameplay, I think any new game in the series can just work on expansion, not total revision. I think a revision was needed after Brawl, for sure, but I would hope that future installments move forward without letting characters, modes, stages or other things leak out of the game as more is stuffed in. Patch all the holes, and then add more.

Also, I hope that customization becomes a bigger aspect of Smash in the future. Smash 4 has some great beginnings there, but I can imagine so much more being done with customization. And it all should really be allowed online with anyone, geez.

So would Sakurai need to be directing? I would say no, if Smash 4 is used as a foundation from here on. And part of me is curious to see what Smash would be like with other direction.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Uuuuh, I was complementing him there.

Hyrule Warriors was going to be more like a Zelda game, but Miyamoto was the one who said to make it more like a Warriors game. And I really like the game, so I'm thankful for that.
Some of the later adventure mode stages (especially on the TP map) are hard to the point of unfair. They are doable but just not fun. I think Miyamoto didn't get it totally right. I think the Zelda crowd (the main purchasers of this game) would have preferred not to enforce the A Rank for anything worthwhile in the game. Just make A Rank something you can go for, for fun and an achievement r two. That way everyone can earn everything and the ones who want a harder game can have it also.

I don't really see how beating one guy in crewel smash is that hard, or unlocking all the characters in HW. The weapons in HW aren't content, they're character upgrades.
They are content as much as the Smash Bros trophies are. Something put into the game that you can earn. And the weapon upgrades are basically required for some of the harder stages. And you forget that not everyone is as good at Smash Bros as you. A good developer caters to players of all skill levels so everyone can enjoy all of the content in the game.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
What I want is continuous Smash support. Think like Street Fighter IV's new additions each year or so. Except instead of buying a new game every year, we just buy expansions via DLC for 10 to 20 bucks.

Also, Sakurai needs to make Kid Icarus Wii U. Please.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm very thankful for all the hard work Sakurai has put into this phenomenal game regardless of the selfish complaints he's been getting from so-called fans during the course of development.

And even if there's gonna be a Smash 5 with or without Sakurai as director wouldn't make a difference to me because I'm very happy with how Smash 4 turned out.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Some of the later adventure mode stages (especially on the TP map) are hard to the point of unfair. They are doable but just not fun. I think Miyamoto didn't get it totally right. I think the Zelda crowd (the main purchasers of this game) would have preferred not to enforce the A Rank for anything worthwhile in the game. Just make A Rank something you can go for, for fun and an achievement r two. That way everyone can earn everything and the ones who want a harder game can have it also.

They are content as much as the Smash Bros trophies are. Something put into the game that you can earn. And the weapon upgrades are basically required for some of the harder stages. And you forget that not everyone is as good at Smash Bros as you. A good developer caters to players of all skill levels so everyone can enjoy all of the content in the game.
Every game ever has some kinda visual dilly-bob for getting 100%. Smash, and Hyrule Warriors to a lesser extent, have more along the way then average. These games are childs play compared to what I've played, to be honest. For Smash, most challenges have some way of being cheesed. For HW, they expect you to 100% each map before the next. The DLC are specifically extra challenges for those who've mastered what's already there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Over the course of today, I've been feeling really strange, after seeing the final PotD post. I'm feeling content, yet melancholy.

While it's likely not the last game in the series altogether, I honestly wouldn't mind if it was. Thinking of Smash 4 as a whole (that is, both versions), and what it is these game have brought, are bringing, and will continue to bring to my life and the lives of many others - the game is more or less perfect.

The game feels tight. Disregarding bias or preference towards Melee, the game just as a really tight, solid, and in-depth feel to it.

The customisation feature means that even when we get bored of the vanilla characters, we still have a built in modding tool for them as such.

The roster is perfect. Aside from the three clones, everyone in this game feels like they belong here. All of them have a reason for being in this game, and all of them feel welcome.

The soundtrack is just as perfect.

Amiibos are a brilliant way of making our emotional connections and attachments to these characters feel way more personal and hands on than ever before. And we are literally seeing the original concept behind Smash Bros becoming a reality through them.

Just looking at everything in hindsight, if Sakurai leaving somehow makes Nintendo drop Smash, then I actually will be content. Either way, I just want Sakurai to get is long overdue vacation. I hope at the least he is having a celebration with friends right now, snuggling with his cat, or whatever else would take his fancy for unwinding.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind that Sakurai doesn't even own the Smash franchise.

I stop playing Kirby games because Sakurai stop working on them, they are good but not as great anymore.
You haven't even played Kirby's Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe, have you?

Besides, he worked on only four Kirby games total.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, even though I know it's never going to happen, I'd rather Smash end. I don't feel like things are going to be the same without Sakurai and to be honest I feel like this is going to turn into some generic fighting game.

Even so, I've been waiting for Sakurai to take a break, I'm actually getting worried for him, and his health is at an insane point right now, and I believe he still has Mewtwo to cover, which isn't the best for him.

Still, Thank You Sakurai For Making One Of The Best Games Of All Time.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Partially sad, partially glad.

Sad because, well, he's Sakurai, come on.

Glad because, MAYBE WE CAN GET THE RETURN OF GOOD GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
AND THE REMOVAL OF SAKURAI'S FALSE DICHOTOMY BETWEEN CASUAL AND HARDCORE

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I know a person or two has mentioned Sakurai has done this before. However, he's never been as direct with it. With Brawl, he said he thought they pushed the limit of the number of characters they could add. But now he is saying he's done. And it's no surprise. He's getting older and he's not in the same health. It's getting harder and harder for him to make these games. I don't think Sakurai stepping down would be a good thing. With Brawl, there was defiantly a fire in his belly. But with this game, it was trying to make it different. Even things like the Pic of the Day and the name seem lazy in comparison. I don't feel the same passion with Smash 4. I don't think Sakurai would take the series in a bold new direction. He knows Smash Bros and he has this idea of what it is in his head but that's not what everyone else's is. I think new blood would help a lot. As people have said, you'd be hard press to find someone to make the game. I think who they make the next director needs to have an undying love for the series but still be creative enough to come up with cool character concepts (which shouldn't be too hard as Nintendo has a ton of characters).

The only problem I see is someone trying to make it competitive. I think Smash 4 is a good balance, but going to far in that direction could be problematic. Look at Starcraft 2. They designed it more as a competitive tournament game, but the end result is everyone got bored of it. I see no interest in Starcraft now. One thing I think as well is the series should take a longer hiatus. It would good to refill the well. Get people really wanting Smash again. And then come out strong.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I know a person or two has mentioned Sakurai has done this before. However, he's never been as direct with it. With Brawl, he said he thought they pushed the limit of the number of characters they could add. But now he is saying he's done. And it's no surprise. He's getting older and he's not in the same health. It's getting harder and harder for him to make these games. I don't think Sakurai stepping down would be a good thing. With Brawl, there was defiantly a fire in his belly. But with this game, it was trying to make it different. Even things like the Pic of the Day and the name seem lazy in comparison. I don't feel the same passion with Smash 4. I don't think Sakurai would take the series in a bold new direction. He knows Smash Bros and he has this idea of what it is in his head but that's not what everyone else's is. I think new blood would help a lot. As people have said, you'd be hard press to find someone to make the game. I think who they make the next director needs to have an undying love for the series but still be creative enough to come up with cool character concepts (which shouldn't be too hard as Nintendo has a ton of characters).

The only problem I see is someone trying to make it competitive. I think Smash 4 is a good balance, but going to far in that direction could be problematic. Look at Starcraft 2. They designed it more as a competitive tournament game, but the end result is everyone got bored of it. I see no interest in Starcraft now. One thing I think as well is the series should take a longer hiatus. It would good to refill the well. Get people really wanting Smash again. And then come out strong.
As I said in this thread, I can't imagine Smash Brothers without Sakurai, simply because there hasn't been a game without him at the helm. But, that makes me the most excited because I always look forward to new blood taking the helm and pushing the series to different areas (for better or worse).

I do have to agree about the differences between Brawl and Smash 4. In Brawl, there was simply "more" to it. Between the hype train before release, and when the game actually came out and had SSE mode, along with All Star Mode and Classic Mode, and the glorious music as well. Competitive gaming aside, Brawl was a very enjoyable experience. Smash 4 didn't have anything like that. Yeah, we got intro videos of new characters (Megaman being the most hyped, by far), but it wasn't the same. The content also took a considerable drop as well, with the trade-off being that Co-op is now available for Classic/All-Star modes.

And that wouldn't be the first time I detected something like that either. The Metal Gear Solid series reached the peak at MGS2 (which is when Hideo Kojima stated there won't be another MGS game), and the peak lowered but retained with MGS3, then MGS4 came out and that was just a slow mess, then MGS5 game that was really just a demo. FFXIV is a massive example with the former director(Tanaka) having to step down after wasting so much money on an abyssmal launch, and a new director(Yoshida) had to step in and basically saved the game after two years of rebuilding the game from scratch. Many feel if a director steps down and a new one is placed at the helm, things will be changed for the worst, but I've witnessed enough times to know this is not fact.

As for your example of Starcraft II, I don't believe the fact they made it more competitive is the real problem, but rather Blizzard took it upon themselves to handle everything and not allow the Starcraft playerbase to steer the direction of the competitive state of the game. It's how it worked in Starcraft (though necessary patches were made from Blizzard to balance the matches), and that's how it should work there, because competitive players are better than the developers. However Blizzard won't allow the core fundamentals of the game to change, and ironically that's where most of the problems with the game are at. The lack of LAN functions really, really hurt the game too.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Keep in mind that Sakurai doesn't even own the Smash franchise.

You haven't even played Kirby's Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe, have you?

Besides, he worked on only four Kirby games total.
This. The only lackluster Kirby games I can think of that HAL done these days was Mass Attack and Epic Yarn (But those games do have their fair share of fans).

As much as I love Air Ride, I'm not afraid to say that game wasn't that revolutionary and needed some major improvements in the gameplay compartment. It's like the only lackluster Kirby game from Sakurai.

Last edited:

Gamer807

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think that him leaving is bad because he has directed all of the smash bros. games since the beginning, and seeing another game come by with him not leading the project who knows how it will turn out. At the same, I believe that he deserves to leave as he has given us 4 (5 if you count the 3DS and Wii-U separate titles) games and as he has said multiple times these games drain the life out of him (over exaggerating from what he actually said)

D

Deleted member 269706

Smash bros has developed such a unique formula, I honestly think it would be hard to mess up. Things would change, that much is for sure, but until we really see those changes first hand, I don't think it's fair to say whether or not it would help/hurt the game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This. The only lackluster Kirby games I can think of that HAL done these days was Mass Attack and Epic Yarn (But those games do have their fair share of fans).

As much as I love Air Ride, I'm not afraid to say that game wasn't that revolutionary and needed some major improvements in the gameplay compartment. It's like the only lackluster Kirby game from Sakurai.
I am kinda getting tired of Sakurai-esque Kirby games... I wish they would bring back the animal friends from Dream Land 3 and the ability to combine different copy abilities from Kirby 64... and bring back old Kirby characters not seen since the 1990s like Lololo & Lalala, Adeleine, Ribbon, Gooey, and Dark Matter.

D

Deleted member

I am kinda getting tired of Sakurai-esque Kirby games... I wish they would bring back the animal friends from Dream Land 3 and the ability to combine different copy abilities from Kirby 64... and bring back old Kirby characters not seen since the 1990s like Lololo & Lalala, Adeleine, Ribbon, Gooey, and Dark Matter.
I love animal friends! Kirby's Dreamland 3 is such an underrated game.

Top Bottom