• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai says: NO DLCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
You're being a bit sensationalist. He didn't say NO DLC he said that there is none now, and they will have to weigh the pros and cons of adding more later, meaning we can still reasonably hope for DLC. Mewtwo is just the only guaranteed DLC, but that was already the case.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
If Nintendo commissions DLC, they'll make DLC.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Where'd you get that idea from? He said there is no paid DLC planned, nothing about what may happen in the future, and may I remind people how many times Sakurai has blatantly lied about certain things in the game. I predict there will be DLC at one point, just don't expect anything soon.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
He also said DLC in general was not planned but here we are with Mewtwo.

I don't think they're going to keep paying the team to just make mewtwo for Spring 2015

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Sensationalist thread title. People are gonna take it as fact that Sakurai won't be making any DLC at all.

There is a massive difference between what you've said and he said. He said there is no PREMIUM DLC PLANNED AT THE MOMENT. This doesn't say he isn't gonna make any sort of DLC ever for the game.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So pretty much nothing beyond what has already been planned/needs more fine tuning. Definitely get the vibe of Sakurai not liking paid DLC, which is a mostly good, somewhat bad thing. Either way, I wouldn't put high hopes on anything beyond Miiverse and Mewtwo for now.

Wish Sakurai would be more direct so we can kill off the speculative character boards can move on, but we'll let the Admins decide.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I knew this was going to happen, I absolutely knew this was going to happen. Ugh. Sakurai says no DLC planned as of now and people immediately jump up and say "SAKURAI SAID NO DLC," even though he said the exact same thing shortly before we got Mewtwo. Geez....

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Sensationalist thread title. People are gonna take it as fact that Sakurai won't be making any DLC at all.

There is a massive difference between what you've said and he said. He said there is no PREMIUM DLC PLANNED AT THE MOMENT. This doesn't say he isn't gonna make any sort of DLC ever for the game.
There is not a massive difference. He's saying his intentions right now are no DLC, just because that could change in the future doesn't mean the title is deceptive. Games that do DLC generally have it planned from before release.

I'm glad we at least will get mewtwo but this strikes me as just a really bad decision by nintendo. no one feels like they aren't getting a full game, and people love the mario kart dlc, which is a great way to maintain interest in key multiplayer games from nintendo. seems like they're just throwing money away here.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
There is not a massive difference. He's saying his intentions right now are no DLC, just because that could change in the future doesn't mean the title is deceptive. Games that do DLC generally have it planned from before release.

I'm glad we at least will get mewtwo but this strikes me as just a really bad decision by nintendo. no one feels like they aren't getting a full game, and people love the mario kart dlc, which is a great way to maintain interest in key multiplayer games from nintendo. seems like they're just throwing money away here.
However the OP reads like DLC is definitely not happening. If it was something like "DLC may not happen", it would be a bit more accurate. You can't just twist words like that.

I mean, there is a chance we may not get DLC at all beyond what we know, but this is just gonna make everyone jump the gun.

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
He simply said that they're not working on anything else right now.

Now yes, it is more than possible that Mewtwo will end up being the only major download for this game, but considering how popular this game is and whatnot, I'm certain that we'll get at least one more thing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be realistic, I doubt that we'd see more than possibly four DLC characters. So far we have Mewtwo, but no announcement of Wolf seems disturbing, considering that his own theme is in the game; of course, K. Rool's theme was in Brawl, even though he wasn't in the game itself outside of a trophy cameo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, the way Sakurai is stating this, it really seems less likely that we'll get cut Brawl veterans at this point. Unless he makes them free DLC.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Not just Sakurai, but a lot of Nintendo developers always talk about not doing a particular something, and end up having most of their final product full of it, lol. Just him talking about it further doesn't shut it down.

Furthermore, I don't care about MewPoo, maaaaaaaaaaaan. Where's my Dixie Kong.

Certainly they need their break, though. Then it's DLC time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not just Sakurai, but a lot of Nintendo developers always talk about not doing a particular something, and end up having most of their final product full of it, lol. Just him talking about it further doesn't shut it down.

Furthermore, I don't care about MewPoo, maaaaaaaaaaaan. Where's my Dixie Kong.

Certainly they need their break, though. Then it's DLC time.
Lol, they DEFINITELY need a break. They should take at least a month-long vacation after finishing up the patch content lol.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-why-mewtwo-isnt-paid-dlc-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

“As for why Mewtwo isn’t paid content from the start, releasing that character is an experiment meant to act as a foothold in content distribution; thus it’s simply meant as part of the service we’re providing to gamers.”
Seems that Mewtwo may be used to test the DLC waters to see if it's worth the time and effort.

Assuming that is the case, they could have hardly chosen a better test subject.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-why-mewtwo-isnt-paid-dlc-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

Seems that Mewtwo may be used to test the DLC waters to see if it's worth the time and effort.

Assuming that is the case, they could have hardly chosen a better test subject.
Obviously. At the same time, Sakurai's statements imply to me that Smash DLC will have to sell, meaning it will have to be more popular characters gaining focus. So I don't really see "promotion" characters happening unless they're already popular characters getting more prominence with a new game announcement. Such as Inklings, for example.

Kokiris

Smash Cadet
I'm happy that we'll get the FULL game day one and that's we'll not have to pay extras for things that could have been in there from the first. :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm happy that we'll get the FULL game day one and that's we'll not have to pay extras for things that could have been in there from the first. :)
You do realize that he never said their wouldn't be DLC?

Also, if you want Mewtwo, you WILL have to pay extra. You'll have to buy both versions of the game.

Adding DLC does not mean you're not getting the full game. The only time that happens is if content is removed to make DLC, which obviously isn't the case.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Obviously. At the same time, Sakurai's statements imply to me that Smash DLC will have to sell, meaning it will have to be more popular characters gaining focus. So I don't really see "promotion" characters happening unless they're already popular characters getting more prominence with a new game announcement. Such as Inklings, for example.
Agreed. If there is to be another Roy incident, Inklings are poised to be just that. Otherwise there's nothing left to speculate on beyond cut veterans and maybe one or two new faces like say, K. Rool and Issac.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Agreed. If there is to be another Roy incident, Inklings are poised to be just that. Otherwise there's nothing left to speculate on beyond cut veterans and maybe one or two new faces like say, K. Rool and Issac.
I could potentially see Dixie Kong as well, but that's about it. K. Rool is definitely more popular in general, though. If he's announced to return, and DLC is planned after Mewtwo, K. Rool is probably the most likely first pick.

kylexv

Smash Master
I really only see there being one more. Probably another veteran too.
This is because it will make the Wii U CSS a perfect rectangle:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4dk::4diddy::4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::popo:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::mewtwopm::4rob::4ness:
:4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4shulk::4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii::substitute:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
You do realize that he never said their wouldn't be DLC?

Also, if you want Mewtwo, you WILL have to pay extra. You'll have to buy both versions of the game.

Adding DLC does not mean you're not getting the full game. The only time that happens is if content is removed to make DLC, which obviously isn't the case.
Uhm... I think he understood it pretty well. Sakurai saying that they've got no plans for DLCs just makes it crystal-clear that they didn't take anything out (not that I'd expected this anyway). At least he's not that greedy kind of player that curses Sakurai for NOT getting any bonuses... (beyond Mewtwo, which already is a bonus)

Last edited:

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I wrote this on another thread so I'll just copy and paste it here:

Keep in mind that:

not having plans for DLC ≠ not having future DLC

Now if Nintendo and Sakurai plan for future DLC (which is very likely still since Sakurai does admit that having DLC in Smash is highly profitable but somewhat controversial), they will most likely distribute the DLC like they are doing with Mewtwo (as promotions for an event or a new game, which will be redistributed later as paid DLC). This could work highly on their favor because Nintendo's DLC, compared to other companies' DLC, are not exactly rip-offs (so far) and thus adds up to their good reputation.

Maybe after future DLC is released, Nintendo could go on the route of other companies and re-release Smash 4 with all the DLC they planned on adding for even more extra income.

No. I didn't joke when I said "Screw you Masahiro"

Uh oh!
Well because of Sakurai this website exists and we have something to talk/type about. Be a little more grateful.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I dont understand this... He literally explains there are no current plans for DLC and they will not consider it until the game is truly complete. How does this equal no DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom