• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai realized he has turned Samus into a sex object?

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
"you sold me"? What does that mean? English is not my first language, so I have a hard time expressing myself in the right way, and understanding some things...

Rebel

Smash Apprentice
Well what I meant by it, was that by all that you said, explaining your thoughts on ZS Samus, that I now have the same opinion as you. As in, you sold your opinion to me, and I bought it. It's an expression.

I hope that helps!

MaiAriSquee

Smash Rookie
Yeah.

I'm a HARDCORE Metroid fan, I love those games and I think Samus rocks. And I DO find this image worrisome. But, to be honest, I am mixed.

One one hand, I HATE ZM Samus. I mean, REALLY hate her. It's this image that Ninty is , or seem sto be , trying to sell to the Japanese, and I find it to be incredible ********. Samus is not a sixteen year old cheer leader hoe bag Lara Croft spinoff fake, she's a kick *** woman. I'm not saying I object ot her being pretty, I'm saying that I liked Prime, Supers, and Fusions Samus better than ZM and Echoes. And Fusion Samus shows more skin than ZM! Hunters strikes a relatively happy medium for me, but I digress.

I just wish Nintendo would stop trying to attract some weirder audience and stick to pleasing the core with this very special franchise. But I digress AGAIN.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I think it's really cool to be able to play as suitless Samus, and I'm excited/interested to see what kind of moves and animations they give her. And I also dread it, because it could end up really terrible. I just dislike that design, even the hair and the color of the hair tie. And the suit itself is kind of boring looking; they could have come up with something better.

Anyhow, I'd be happier if her boobs were a little smaller and they didn't make such a big deal about her figure. If I don't get that, I'll at least hope she retains the dignified, serious, intelligent manner from the games, and that a lot of careful thought is put into her moves ala Sheik.

Actually, I'd love it if they included the other out of suite designs as well, that'd be cool. The many faces of Samus. :colorful: :samus:

In summary, I'm wary and excited about recent developments, and hope that Samus is not transformed into a digital sex symbol ala lara croft, bloodrayne, and taki.

greenblob

Smash Lord
It appears that people are STILL misinterpreting what I'm saying. If you disagree with something, most likely it was a misinterpretation of what I said and was probably explained earlier.

And how am I "wasting" my life? I spend 5~15 minutes on this thread. Yes, I follow Metroid plotlines and I'm a Metroid fan. But I do my gaming/recreational activities in moderation. I've probably accomplished more than most (for my age anyway).

To put it shortly, most of my points boil down to this:
I dread the day when the word "Samus" is spoken, the average gamer will imagine this
rather than this

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
greenblob said:
It appears that people are STILL misinterpreting what I'm saying. If you disagree with something, most likely it was a misinterpretation of what I said and was probably explained earlier.

And how am I "wasting" my life? I spend 5~15 minutes on this thread. Yes, I follow Metroid plotlines and I'm a Metroid fan. But I do my gaming/recreational activities in moderation. I've probably accomplished more than most (for my age anyway).

To put it shortly, most of my points boil down to this:
I dread the day when the word "Samus" is spoken, the average gamer will imagine this
rather than this
yeah, i agree with that. but slugma thinks like that right now which is why he keeps trying to covince us of his point of view with those pics in his sign.

ok, im ending my part here and now. the suit is there because of the armor period. no person in their right mind would wear jeans and a long sleeve t or just a plain t for what it matters under that armor. its the way people interpret it for that matter that mekes her look bad and by contnuing to dwell on wether shes a sex object you are making that character/person a sex object. this is what happens to real people.

now, slugma you are arguing about falcon being a comedy type of character to justify the even tighter outfit that the zs he's wearing. well, they never intended her to be a sex object so get over trying to make her seem like one. besides, if anything falcons suit is more like body paint that the zs.

oh, what? you want to ague about the wip? well wips are weapons, as any other soft weapon (another is a nunchaku), they are hard to control as they are to predict. that means that in combat this weapon gives her an advantage, not to mention that it has the ability to grab an opponent from a farther distance. well, enough about the weapons. and in regards to her apearance in brawl. how many well known characters in metroid do they have to chose from? ridley is the smallest the of main bosses that they would even consider putting in, and the hunters characters haven't been out for that long, while sz samus though the same character she may be, has been around longer. if you say the pirates, honestly, some of them suck. dark samus would be another but we dont want clones do we? hence zs samus was the most logical of the characters to select (still hoping for ridley though) ok, so flame me or whatever. i'll be back to see what is said after this but i refuce to take part in another post on this ridiculous thread.

MaiAriSquee

Smash Rookie
Actually, Ridley and Dark Samus are very plausible, exciting possibilities. Dark Samus can be constructed with her own move set very easily, and Ridley would be a great addition. I actually wrote a little message in the "please translate this and send it in the sakurai mailing thingy!" on the subject.

So far, I have not read one single convincing arguemnt to keep either of them out. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll be in either, but I can hope we'll see something of interest. It's actually rumored that Ridley was confirmed as a playable character in Brawl.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I actually agree with Slugma on the Samus -> sex appeal. Just because you don't find someone to be particularly attractive doesn't mean that he/she isn't being used as a sex object. In the ZM commercial, it's obvious that Samus is supposed to sell sex appeal (compare with this), and the closeup on her butt was completely unnecessary.
I agree that Samus needs to wear something tight under her armor, but she also needs her armor. Just like how Samus can't have a full range of movement in a sweater and jeans, she can't have her full arsenal of weapons and powerups without her suit.
I guess one of the main things is that she's out of her suit for too long, which makes her image closer to that of a woman in skintight clothing rather than a heavily armored bounty huntress.

C.Falcon has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion. He is a completely different character. For Falcon to have this type of discussion, his image would have to be threatened to be redone (example: Falcon stars in a jumping-based Mario-esque platformer rather than a racing game). Notice that this discussion isn't about whether sex appeal is right or wrong--it's about whether it's right for Samus.

...And I think that's enough of repeating what I've said in previous posts.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
I somehow think that some people won't accept that Samus is becoming Nintendo's poser girl, no matter how many arguments you put forth. I'm not going to repeat myself, nay-sayers read my past posts CAREFULLY before you write something aimed at me again, please.

It's the same about Peach, she's also becoming sexier lately. But some people just refuse to realize it. Butt attacks, thong, butt jiggle, skimpy clothing...how far does Nintendo have to take it to make some people realize? Do Nintendo have to strip down Peach and Samus naked before people open their eyes and realize what has happened??? Can't you see where Nintendo is taking Samus (and Peach)?

I wouldn't call her a 'sex object' cause she's ugle as **** IMO. ONly someone with a sick mind or bad taste would like an ugly videogame char.

keroku_the_thunderwolf

Smash Apprentice
I think they don't try to make her a "sex symbol". Its just that people see her like that. (I'm sorry if someone already said this)

Also when I hear samus I think about missles and aliens and whatnot.

DarkerCompanion

Smash Cadet
Its hard to expect them to make her into anything but a sex object, at least to a certain degree. For example, no one wants to play through a Metroid game at high skill levels to see Samus unsuited . . . only to find she is ugly, overweight, and out of shape. While such a thing is actually far more normal than media tends to portray, they just couldn't pull it off! They treat Samus' true form as a treat, and as such, it has to be a "rewarding" treat, or no one will want it. Hence, Samus has to be attractive, or shouldn't be unsuited at all. I don't agree with the philosophy, and I HATE that this is how it is, but its the only way something like this can work as far as commercial product is concerned.

Now, what does this all have to do with Sakurai? Well, he decided to have a ZS Samus, and figured he would go with the prexisiting information of Samus being more or less as portrayed, and made her look good. Samus was a sex symbol to some degree since they programmed an image of Samus in a bikini at the end of the original Metroid. Sakurai just took what he had and made the best of it.

DISCLAIMER: The concepts expressed in the previous paragraphs are pretty horrible, and I want to make it clear I am vastly oppossed to them in concept, and am merely stating that this is how it is. I wish that things were different.

psyt

Smash Journeyman
well..

well i mean, a new samus character would be a good pick for brawl right? and a top canidate zero suit samus, so i figure he chose her, then after developement gave her the "stunning" figure just... naturally, not on purpose for sex appeal, i mean, its not like he was ganna make samus ugly in any noticable way, amiright?

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Yeah in Melee Ganon's... crotch area... yeah... uh. yeah.

It just adds more fun to multiplayer... you can just run from Cap Falcon and be like YOU CAN'T TAP DIS *****

but seriously, no, Samus is supposed to be hawt and a LOT of noobs don't even know she's a girl, so this'll show them.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
She's just an attractive female, it really isn't anywhere near the big deal you guys are making it.

All the arguments I've see so far, skin tight suit, butt shot, she looks "Hawt", are stupid. Grow up, please.

BladeofKeyZ

Smash Rookie
I somehow think that some people won't accept that Samus is becoming Nintendo's poser girl, no matter how many arguments you put forth. I'm not going to repeat myself, nay-sayers read my past posts CAREFULLY before you write something aimed at me again, please.

It's the same about Peach, she's also becoming sexier lately. But some people just refuse to realize it. Butt attacks, thong, butt jiggle, skimpy clothing...how far does Nintendo have to take it to make some people realize? Do Nintendo have to strip down Peach and Samus naked before people open their eyes and realize what has happened??? Can't you see where Nintendo is taking Samus (and Peach)?
Someone has hidden desires!

But I joke.

Samus has nice figure from her ventures.

Her suit is skin tight to let her maneuver easily in her armor.

She's a woman so naturally, she has breasts and a tuckus.

Perhaps ZS Samus was conceived to appeal to the average male gamer. Perhaps she'll attract women to the game. Perhaps she's there as just fan service. Whatever the reason, it's going to add a much needed feminine touch to the series and will probably pave the way for new smash characters, despite the fact that she doesn't take a slot. Video Game Women Rights is a serious business! :laugh:

homsar

Smash Ace
You dont have to be ugly to break a stereotype. The fact that she is attractive and still kicks *** and solves puzzles is great. It proves that not all attractive women are stupid, scared of fighting girls.

Josh the Dennis

Smash Rookie
Samus is one HOOOTT BIIIITCCCH, but it's gay to say she's a sex symbol just cuz her boobs aren't covered by steel

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
They gave Captain Falcon nipples on his suit. He's had that for the past two games! Could you imagine what would happen if they did that to ZSS? Pandemonium I say!

For those who don't believe me.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace

See, Fox has just as much, if not more booty going on as Samus, and he's wearing cargo pants.

Banana hammock anyone?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I thoroughly enjoyed that post Zombie Cola.

HOWEVER, everyone in video games is designed to have flawless attributes, who are supposed to be. There are people MEANT to be ugly, but those are their purposes and they're not main characters. So, of course Fox has a perfect a**, it's because he's the main character.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Can I just point out how massively hypocritical it is that a guy with ZS Samus butt-shots in his sig is making a thread complaining about her being sexual?

T-major

Smash Champion
Samus was a sex symbol from the beginning. I mean, come on! it's a girl in a futuristic space suit, who goes around killing alines! KINKY!!!

but seriously. I really don't think it matters. I think Zamus was put in to give Samus more character. people who don't have any knowledge of Metriod would most likly think Samus is a man at first glance (when shes in the suit of course), I did when I first played Metriod. it's really dosn't matter at all.

ChaosCaster

Smash Rookie
What did you guys expect Samus to wear under the suit? She's a bounty hunter that goes around in space, and it gives a kind of futuristic feel to her (though obviously the Varia Suit looks futuristic as well). It reminds me of these things called "thermskins" in some books I was reading (Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons if you're interested) that supply oxygen, regulate heat/cold even in space, and provide some protection.

And furthermore, she's always been a sex symbol. The creators of the Metroid series didn't have to have those revealing pictures in the various endings, you know. And was there really a reason for Zero Mission to have suit-less Samus, anyway? Just fanservice.

Also, she's supposed to be attractive. 99% of realistic-looking human video game characters fit into the following categories: Meant to be appealing to the eye (usually protagonists), meant to be ugly/repulsive (usually antagonists), or meant to be humorous (varies). No one wants to play as a 300 lb. woman tottering around a planet and shooting things.

THE AVENGER

Smash Journeyman
samus has always looked like this play the classic games and look at her when you can see her suit is the same zs in evry single game of metroid can see samuses zero suit so stop thinking its a new thing just for ssbb becaus its not!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
While it may be true that Zamus was included partially FOR the sex-factor, A) Samus has always been scantily clad underneath that suit since the first game (she stripped down to her panties for you in Metroid II for Chrissake) and B) Metroid has very little rep for such a fast-growing franchise (it has grown by leaps and bounds SINCE Melee; just five years!) and Sakurai is trying to amend that

Captain Blue

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, that shot of Zero Suit Samus's butt in the trailer was unneeded. I honestly don't care too much about the suit. I just hope they don't give her an...odd KO voice. When I say odd, I mean it sounds like Captain Falcon's from Melee when he's KO'ed normally.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If Sakurai HAD to disrespect somebody(sorry Fox), it surely wouldn't be one of the first female heroes of the virtual world. He's more careful than that...

All this overreaction...when was the last time you people look at a woman?? It's when they DON'T have the things that I'm seeing on her that I'll start freaking out!

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
To the people thinking Samus and Peach are being all sexified: Peach shows her legs when she wears shorts in any of the 48536 Mario Sports games and now Samus has a tight ourfit. Calm down, it's not big deal at all. Nintendo still has all their characters looking cartoonish and puppetish. No Nintendo character resembles a human except for the basic shape. The people making big deals of this seem to be the ones who would move the camera under their Peach and Zelda trophies in Melee.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
If Sakurai HAD to disrespect somebody(sorry Fox), it surely wouldn't be one of the first female heroes of the virtual world. He's more careful than that...

All this overreaction...when was the last time you people look at a woman?? It's when they DON'T have the things that I'm seeing on her that I'll start freaking out!
Yeesh. Olive Oyl syndrome.:urg:

King Axel

Smash Apprentice
@ZombieCola: I didn't need to see that. Now I've been scarred for life.

Well, in my opinion, anyone who starts drooling at the sight of a video game character is odd to me. I don't think Sakurai did that for the "sexual appeal". It's really what she looks like, right? A video game character being a sex object, in this case, is totally opinion. It all depends on whether or not you have the character's bottom in your signature. Er, I mean, it all depends on your view.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yea! No one is saying the creator of G Gundam was gay just because every time whats-his-name got in his gundam, the first thing they showed was his a** getting tigthened......For those who don't know what I'm talking about....don't worry about it....

OR ARE THEY?!?!

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
It definitely aint sex appeal cos last time i checked samus actually looks like that.
and if some people find her attractive (ahem) it dont matter cos she is still gonna kick ***:p

Top Bottom