• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Primes a New Stage: Frigate Orpheon Revealed

lilparadise

Smash Apprentice
When they started making this game did they take into consideration that the games they were representing are all from the early 2000's?

(Good level. I can't wait to see how it works.)

NukeA6

Smash Master
I see they decided to get out of Brinstar and into something else. I wonder what the second Zelda stage will be.

Nothingman

Smash Cadet
I really really like the new metroid stage, i dont know why, i didnt even play prime ever.

but i love it, it seems so awesome, i love the atmosphere and the lighting. i love how big it is, and i love that it zooms way out. i love the glow in the dark lighting. the giant monster in the background that just stares at you. i wish i could live there.

i really really really hope they make it so that peoples voice echoes in this stage. that would just make it so much better

also i hope the My Music selection includes a music track that is mostly minimalistic and ambient that would really add to the atmosphere. since this is from a metroid game, im thinking this will most likely happen.

Percon

Smash Lord
Wow, what a great update!

A new stage, finally some prime representation, it looks like a decent stage at that, some new music...! Plus, I think this is a great way to represent prime. The first ship was one of the moments that stayed with me for a while - not to mention that if it were a phazon themed level, the phason would probably act as lava.

Tourney legality... I think will be based on how long it takes to flip. Oh, and will the plaforms get in the way of vertical KO's, do you think?

Darkurai

Smash Master
When they started making this game did they take into consideration that the games they were representing are all from the early 2000's?

(Good level. I can't wait to see how it works.)
Did you take into consideration that when they started making this game, the early 2000's had just ended?

I was really hoping for the Chozo Temple from near the end of Metroid Prime. That would be such an epic stage. That was a very memorable fight, and I would've loved to play there in Smash Bros.

bob-bomber

Smash Cadet
prime 1 was the only metroid game i played and i never got past the second boss (flargla or what ever) so i totaly understand this stage i wonder if the parisite queen shoots lasers at you

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
zomg. this update was actually..um, good. AWESOME!

I like the stage, I wish it had a little better visuals, but it's still nice.

bob-bomber

Smash Cadet
Oh ya it's called Flaahgra that I didn't get past! CONFUSING SPELLING! first new stage in forever!

eXioN

Smash Rookie
I really like this new stage :) and I understand why it's better than others since the Parasite Queen is probably the boss people will remember the most from the Prime series, since he was the first boss. Although, I would've liked to see phaaze as a level :( imagine all that blue t_t.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Well I'll eat my hat. Sakurai gave Metroid Prime some recognition.

RicanThunder

Smash Cadet
Awesome another Metroid piece included in Brawl. Its like someone working on Brawl is really listening to us. We complain about having only Lava stages, again and again. Now we have this nifty new stage. We need to start complaining alot more in my opinion so keep it rolling everyone, like **** we need a Zelda update.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Once that siren goes off, get off the ground or else you'll plummet during the rotation. Things sure will get rough for players on that stage.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Is this a...good update?! They do exist! *glee*

I actually really like the looks of this stage. The platform layout is unique without being too wacky, and the colors and lighting are pretty. As long as the stage flips quickly enough to not completely screw over poor jumpers like Bowser or Captain Falcon (they'd be easy prey for the likes of Meta Knight if they're forced to use their up-Bs early), I don't think it will be too obstructive. The only problem is that between the flipping and the fact that the stage seems to have a hard ceiling half of the time (unless the large platform is just above the kill line), characters with good airtime and heavy resistance to horizontal KOs (Meta Knight, Pit, Peach, and, fittingly enough, probably Samus) might have too big of an advantage.

Also, this might be a coincidence, but the last week of good updates is generally considered to be the week of October 29th (Stage Builder and Summit), a little more than a month before Dec. 3th. We then had a month and a half of filler, and now it's a little more than a month before the Japanese release date in late January. Could it be possible that all the delay filler was concentrated into the past month and what was originally planned to be the final month of good updates has now resumed? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and we just happened to be lucky today, but it's a little bit of hope, at least.

Rash

Smash Ace
At first glance this stage does look sort of bland. In fact, at first I kind of hated the solitary platform on the left of the initial setup. However, after examining the screenshots and description, the stage actually seems like it has a lot going for it.

I mean, it has:

-180 degree rotation, of course
-Power outages
-An extra platform that moves around the initial setup, and two extra platforms that make themselves available on the sides of the "flipped" setup.

The overall design pushed this stage much farther than where it would have been if it was just three platforms with the parasite queen in the background.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well Monday's update couldn't have happened without the updates between than and there, and Norfair kinda takes precidance over this stage, I would think. But if the trend of good updates continue is anyone's guess, though I have to say that you shouldn't jinx it. :O

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Coolopolis!

It's great they recognized Metroid Prime in Brawl, even though the series is so unpopular in Japan. I haven't seen the actual update (D**n school web blocker), but it doesn't look like it will get banned if there's a siren first.

D

Deleted member

Well, it's come to this:
2 Mario stages confirmed
2 Zelda stages confirmed
2 Metroid stages confirmed, but
0 Sonic stages confirmed

Sweet stage though. Finally something from Prime!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Well Monday's update couldn't have happened without the updates between than and there, and Norfair kinda takes precidance over this stage, I would think. But if the trend of good updates continue is anyone's guess, though I have to say that you shouldn't jinx it. :O
Well, I'm not saying every single individual update was planned on a specific day months in advance. I'm sure a couple of the things we've seen over the past several weeks were going to be shown one way or another, like events. I'm just saying that he might have had a general collection of updates intended for the last month or so before release, and put most of them on hold until we made up for the delay and got back to that "one month before release" period again. It's an adequate possible explanation for why we've had such a long period of almost completely uninterrupted filler, at least.

If I was going to jinx it, I would have proposed that he had to hold off on all of those updates together because he had something especially strong planned that he didn't want to show until the last minute.

...Whoops.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Well, it's come to this:
2 Mario stages confirmed
2 Zelda stages confirmed
2 Metroid stages confirmed, but
0 Sonic stages confirmed

Sweet stage though. Finally something from Prime!
I don't like that, too. Especially because Snake already got his stage.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
To be honest Matt, I have to disagree wit' ya.

It has some of those ****ed orchestra hits that I despise. Ahhhhh!

sheep dude

Smash Cadet
really nice and cool update, i'm also glad that that there is no lava xD, and when i saw "rotating 180" i was like huh? but then i realized how it is going to work (for the first time on history images doesn't worth 1000 words xD... we need video... ^^ )

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Im surprised Prime got representation, tho its nice to finally see. I really like the stage too.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see some prime representation from one of the bigger moments in the game. That and Porky's theme rocked.

regorris

Smash Apprentice
Interesting... awesome...
I love how minimalistic it is, I think it really captures the air of that area in Prime.

One concern, though: Do the colors and shiney floors remind you of PhantasyStar Online? :laugh:

:edit: noticed typos... I need new fingers...:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One of the better updates as of late. What would be awesome is if they took the music from that boss battle and changed it a bit and made it that stage music. I would also of liked it if the panels would sometimes open up like in the game and allow the parasitic queen to shoot phazon balls at the characters.

Top Bottom