• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai On Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and The Order of Character Announcements

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Doesn't stop the common animator/developer from putting in sexual fantasies or ideal waifu sadly. And Sakurai being married or not, there are A LOT of sexually repressed people over in Japan.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai's above that. Everybody at Nintendo seem way too dignified for that. Most, anyway.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
Using "glaring" made the problem sound more important than it actually was. If you had just said that the problems were obvious and not glaring, I would know that you take issue with those problems. However, because you used "glaring", I thought that you took massive offense to these issues. It isn't a matter of negative connotation, but more of how strong the vocab you used was. Your word choice did not reflect how you were actually feeling, unless you actually DID take massive offense to these issues.

With the gifts I'm more talking about inherent "badness". New characters in Smash Bros. means that you will need to complete more Classic runs, get more custom items, and have a harder time with random. But that's with ALL characters added, not just clones. That's what you're complaining about. You can't really fix these inherent cons without drastically changing the game. And as for having to do those things with repeat characters, there are 3 clones in a total of 49 characters. That's a minor increase percentage wise, and the other 43 non-cloned characters should give you more than enough variety.

Yeah, I guess mastering was a bad term to use, but sometimes someone just wants to play a heavier Mario, or a heavier Pit, or a non-tipper Marth. Why should we deny these people their fun because we can't deal with something that comes with every character regardless?
So are you looking for a deeper meaning in the curtains, I guess that's just your issue in how you interpret things. If I thought the problem was major/critical I would've used other words that convey a greater level of negativity.

In terms of what I am saying it's that you can actually aid these processes by making those clones alts. Notice I'm complaining about the clones and not the rest of the roster, again you're bringing in other things for no reason. Regardless of size it's still something that's a problem. All you're doing is writing around yourself to make it seem like you have a point when it just leads back to my original comment.

'Heavier Pit' if only, his arrows are a bit stronger and has little less vertical on his side B. Heavier Mario would be okay is his recovery wasn't so bad and non-tipper Marth is promoting easy play (so if you actually mastered Marth there'd be no reason to play her). These clones aren't really characters as they are roster padding due to their non existent or hindering changes.

Last edited:

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
So are you looking for a deeper meaning in the curtains, I guess that's just your issue in how you interpret things. If I thought the problem was major/critical I would've used other words that convey a greater level of negativity.

In terms of what I am saying it's that you can actually aid these processes by making those clones alts. Notice I'm complaining about the clones and not the rest of the roster, again you're bringing in other things for no reason. Regardless of size it's still something that's a problem. All you're doing is writing around yourself to make it seem like you have a point when it just leads back to my original comment.

'Heavier Pit' if only, his arrows are a bit stronger and has little less vertical on his side B. Heavier Mario would be okay is his recovery wasn't so bad and non-tipper Marth is promoting easy play (so if you actually mastered Marth there'd be no reason to play her). These clones aren't really characters as they are roster padding due to their non existent or hindering changes.
You did use a word that conveyed a greater level of negativity. That's what I'm saying.

Yes, you can, but then you'd lose those characters. Characters that had people like you or me hoping that they would be playable and have their own slot. Making them alts would fix those issues, but then people wouldn't be able to enjoy a (slightly) different character that some of them wanted to be their own character. I remember when people realized that Alph was an alt, they expressed disappointment that he wasn't his own character where he used rock Pikmin.

As for roster padding, I think Sakurai stated that he only put them in because they took virtually no manhours to create, and figured that a playable character is better than an alt to people who wanted that character. In other words, fan service with little to no cost. The minute changes also mean that people can play a slightly different character without having to bother with custom items and such.

And I think that was what my main point that I wanted to get across. You are complaining about inherent cons to including clones, and those you are complaining about have fanbases that wanted them to be their own character and not just an alt. Sakurai put them in because they took little effort and figured that it would go a long way to please their fans, which it did. Your complaints are valid, but the amount of effort it took and the number of people it pleased are more important to Sakurai than those complaints.

tl;dr
The clones took little effort and pleased a lot of people. Your minor complaints are valid, but the fans the clones pleased are more important.

I didn't put that in my first post because I'm stupid. Sorry.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice

So you're saying that clones would function better as alt costumes? How does that improve the game? And Lucina is not the poor man's Marth. They require different spacing strategy to be effective. Just because you've mastered Marth doesn't mean you've mastered Lucina, and vise versa. Pit and Dark Pit could have been palette swaps with different customs but how would doing that make the game better? Actually it would make it worse because customs are banned in tournaments. Character selection is not just about unique moves. Even though Pit and Dark Pit have small differences I prefer Pit because I like the character from his other games. Clones are better than no clones at all because it results in more variety. More variety is always better than less because you can always choose not to use a particular option. The roster was maxed out for the 3DS without clones so adding them in only adds variety and does not take anything away.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
You did use a word that conveyed a greater level of negativity. That's what I'm saying.

Yes, you can, but then you'd lose those characters. Characters that had people like you or me hoping that they would be playable and have their own slot. Making them alts would fix those issues, but then people wouldn't be able to enjoy a (slightly) different character that some of them wanted to be their own character. I remember when people realized that Alph was an alt, they expressed disappointment that he wasn't his own character where he used rock Pikmin.

As for roster padding, I think Sakurai stated that he only put them in because they took virtually no manhours to create, and figured that a playable character is better than an alt to people who wanted that character. In other words, fan service with little to no cost. The minute changes also mean that people can play a slightly different character without having to bother with custom items and such.

And I think that was what my main point that I wanted to get across. You are complaining about inherent cons to including clones, and those you are complaining about have fanbases that wanted them to be their own character and not just an alt. Sakurai put them in because they took little effort and figured that it would go a long way to please their fans, which it did. Your complaints are valid, but the amount of effort it took and the number of people it pleased are more important to Sakurai than those complaints.

tl;dr
The clones took little effort and pleased a lot of people. Your minor complaints are valid, but the fans the clones pleased are more important.

I think a couple of tl;dr's each would've saved us a lot of time.

I wish I could have the same opinion here but pleasing fans isn't even really a Sakurai move, remember he's all about making the game work and I'm just surprised he would add problems at the cost of a reskinned Zelda Final Smash. I would give Doc the benefit but there's no excuse that Mario Tornado isn't a custom move for Mario.

I'd like to guess because it's all for his Dark Pit but eh.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
So you're saying that clones would function better as alt costumes? How does that improve the game? And Lucina is not the poor man's Marth. They require different spacing strategy to be effective. Just because you've mastered Marth doesn't mean you've mastered Lucina, and vise versa. Pit and Dark Pit could have been palette swaps with different customs but how would doing that make the game better? Actually it would make it worse because customs are banned in tournaments. Character selection is not just about unique moves. Even though Pit and Dark Pit have small differences I prefer Pit because I like the character from his other games. Clones are better than no clones at all because it results in more variety. More variety is always better than less because you can always choose not to use a particular option. The roster was maxed out for the 3DS without clones so adding them in only adds variety and does not take anything away.
If you read my original post instead of entering an argument half-way through you'll see why.

Spacing, although important, isn't such a detrimental factor in smash 4 due to its low skill floor and you'd only learn it on Marth anyway since it doesn't matter with Lucina.

Melee Clones and the Brawl Clone (Toon Link) add variety, Smash 4's clones are a laugh.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I'm pretty sure Sakurai's above that. Everybody at Nintendo seem way too dignified for that. Most, anyway.
What I said in the first post will raise questions then, this being the case. But I do suggest you take my word for it, even a bit when it comes to even the most popular developers/animators and their sex life. You'd be surprised how a lack of sex affects those with creative minds.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What I said in the first post will raise questions then, this being the case. But I do suggest you take my word for it, even a bit when it comes to even the most popular developers/animators and their sex life. You'd be surprised how a lack of sex affects those with creative minds.
Oh trust me, I know. I've played both No More Heroes games.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

tl;dr

I thought he said Dr Mario took some time in another interview.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Excuse me, but I'd give Dr. Mario a pass for being Pre-Brawl Mario. Plus, the Doc is awesome.
Lucina, in her defense, deals equal damage across the entire sword, essentially making her a better Marth.
Dark Pit... I got nothin'.
Actually, Lucina's damage and KB is closer to Marth's sourspot on his sword. And the "tipper" is basically half the blade in practice. She's an all-around WORSE Marth. Even newbs do better as Marth. Dark Pit works as a counterpick option for Pit since they're so incredibly similar, so he at least has SOMETHING.

I'm waiting for the question "Why was dark pit chosen?" just to see if Sakurai becomes speechless. Lol
Probably say something along the lines of "We had time to upgrade a few costumes to be full playable characters." Not that hard to see lol.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
If you read my original post instead of entering an argument half-way through you'll see why.

Spacing, although important, isn't such a detrimental factor in smash 4 due to its low skill floor and you'd only learn it on Marth anyway since it doesn't matter with Lucina.

Melee Clones and the Brawl Clone (Toon Link) add variety, Smash 4's clones are a laugh.

I will concede that Marth and Lucina can be mastered by just mastering Marth. However, you still forget that there are 52 characters in smash 4 while there are at most 39 characters in brawl. The 52 characters are also available on the 3DS. 3DS and Wii are fairly close in terms of computing power from what I found online with the systems having slightly different strengths and weaknesses. There are MORE unique characters in smash 4 despite the greatly limited 3ds. That makes this smash iteration bigger, more varied, and more unique than any previous smash despite the limitations of the 3DS. Even without Lucina and DP there are more characters. If Smash 4 were only for Wii U I would agree with you but given that Sakurai was forced to make the game for 3DS too the roster is quite impressive. Sakurai made it clear that they fit as many characters in as possible (the burden of evidence lies with you complainers to prove that they had room for significant character development) and to sit back and whine as an armchair programmer just makes you look ignorant because you have no idea if the 3DS could even bear more unique characters.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Actually, Lucina's damage and KB is closer to Marth's sourspot on his sword. And the "tipper" is basically half the blade in practice. She's an all-around WORSE Marth. Even newbs do better as Marth. Dark Pit works as a counterpick option for Pit since they're so incredibly similar, so he at least has SOMETHING.

Probably say something along the lines of "We had time to upgrade a few costumes to be full playable characters." Not that hard to see lol.
Since everyone seems to be disagreeing about Lucina, I'll give in, especially because I've never mained either.
However, I must disagree with you on Dark Pit. Dr. Mario was clearly high priority for converting from an Alt. to a Clone, as he could function as Pre-Brawl Mario, not to mention he's a veteran, and Lucina makes sense, considering her obvious sword differences from Marth and her recent game, but I find hard to believe Dark Pit had higher priority than Alph.
Alph could've used Rock Pikmin, which are notably absent from Olimar's moveset, or even plucked Flying Pikmin with Pikmin Pluck as well as using them in an Up Special. Heck, they could've slightly weakened him and given him six Pikmin, like Brawl Olimar, to compensate. Or removed White and Purple Pikmin from Alph's Pikmin Pluck and replaced them with Rock and Flying Pikmin. There's just so many differences he could've had from Olimar while still remaining a clone. And that's not even brining up the fact that he had a fairly unique model compared to Captain Color Swap. Honestly, I think a large amount of Sakurbias went into Dark Pit's seperation, seeing as he had extremely few differences from Pit, even in areas such as Angle of Knockback and damage dealt.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:

JusLikDaShaf

Smash Rookie
I wanna know why Wolf and Lucas were cut
I love how they cut the few characters like Ice Climbers, Snake (though that one is a little more self explanatory), Lucas, and Wolf who were not clones at all for the most part (only sharing special attack functions if anything), and bring in Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina, and Ganondorf; all though they're cool and all but WHY! I AND EVERYONE ELSE ENJOYED THEM T_T

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Wolf is an especially odd cut considering Star Fox is finally getting a new game this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom