• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai lied lol

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Actually, you paid 60 bucks for the full game, but they are literally creating new content instead of just keeping data on the disc and putting it up as ''dlc''. And you are right, Nintendo HQ probably did see dollar signs in dlc for Smash Bros, and I couldn't be happier with what we're getting right now.

Akuji the Sniper

Smash Rookie
The reason why he said that was because if people knew they were planning for DLC later then everyone would assume they were taking content and making it DLC when it should be included.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
A developer lied about what their parent is planning? I am shocked. Sakurai lying is nothing new. He is a bigger troll than Miyamoto and has contradicted himself on many occasions. As far as I know everybody who refused to accept DLC wasn't coming was in denial because they don't want to pay for it.

Khao

Smash Lord
Rule #1: Sakurai Lies.

Either way, he never straight up said "There's not going to be more DLC."

He said there was no more DLC planned, which is completely different.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Situations change. I don't believe Sakurai is actively trying to be dishonest.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
He also said only one character for every third party.
He also said fighting game characters wouldn't be good for Smash Bros.

He also said he's too big.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Never take what Sakurai says seriously, he has always contradicted himself, not the first time and definitely not the last time.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai didn't lie, Iwata forced him to do it. Sakurai is sad behind that happy face... I bet all he wanted to do after smash 4 was kid icarus 2 but nope...

Last edited:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I thought he said they currently had no plans for dlc not that there wouldn't be any

Anyway I think only one more character is coming the rest will just be costumes and stages
im sure one more characters because wasn't it that the game file had 5 extra slot when data miners checked a while after its release

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Masahiro Sakurlie

I think he just wanted to keep these characters under wraps. If he said "Yes we have more coming" people are going to be like "WHAT WHO WHERE SAKURWHY?"

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The thing you said in your last paragraph was completely the opposite. Everyone thought that the leak was real, and that whoever didn't believe it was an idiot.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Kids.

This is business 101. You do not say honestly what your intentions are with a project. Ever.

It wasn't meant to be a hurtful "you're not getting anything else, this is the game" type of lie. It was a "we can't tell you what we're going to do next" lie.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
The thing you said in your last paragraph was completely the opposite. Everyone thought that the leak was real, and that whoever didn't believe it was an idiot.
Not at first. It became obvious after the videos leaked but you cannot declare anyone who thought the Duck Hunt Dog's art looked way too cartoony to fit with the rest an idiot.

The Rayman leak looked more convincing than that ESRB leak at the time. Seeing some images outright didn't prove a thing with Duck Hunt Dog looking like he did.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know...

Pretty sure he never said any of these things...

Fans asked him a month after release if DLC characters are coming, cause you'd think after all the crap they pump out for Mario Kart 8, having DLC characters for their most popular franchise would be a no brainer right? Then Sakurai said something like this (not exactly, but SOMETHING LIKE THIS) :

" No, there will be no more DLC characters after the launch of Smash bros for Wii-U, MewTwo is the one and only DLC character because he was meant to be in the game, we just got caught up and didn't finish him in time, but that's it. My reason is simple, i want people to feel like they payed 60 dollars for the full game, and that's what we will be doing, giving them the full experience without making them feel as if we only gave them half the game."

More DLC characters are coming out, and probably still a few more, so that was a lie. (hopefully Golden Sun) Then again, i don't think he was lying, i think Nintendo just forced him to release more characters, which i'm happy they did by the way. I know he wanted to do the "honorable thing" but c'mon dude, you decide to get all honorable on the one game we actually WANT tons of DLC for. lol.... Keep forcing him Nintendo, we need Issac and Felix! Oh, and Golden Sun girls!

I remember when the roster got leaked, everyone wanted to believe it was fake, cause it was so un-hype. Lots of "smart logical" people were coming up with any thing just to disprove the list being real, and that anyone who thought the roster was real, was an idiot, but in the end, the leak was real, funny stuff. lol
You really can't trust what he says half of the time. Remember when he said there weren't any clone characters in Brawl? Turns out there were.
Provide sources.

Actually. I can do better and provide sources that prove he never said any of this.

I SUMMON THEE!

THE MIGHTY @ PushDustIn PushDustIn

shane3x

Saint of Swords
This is what I think happened.

Originally, they weren't planning on DLC characters and Mewtwo was just meant to be a bonus one off, since Ninty is still new to the DLC thing if Mewtwo as DLC wasnt received well or did well they can just cut it off instead of if they had said We are doing DLC and then just stopped.

However as they were working on him they realised With the success of MK8 DLC in general they decided to jump on board the DLC thing and hired lots of people to help pump it out asap.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You know...

Pretty sure he never said any of these things...

Provide sources.

Actually. I can do better and provide sources that prove he never said any of this.

I SUMMON THEE!

THE MIGHTY @ PushDustIn PushDustIn
I've been summoned!

Source Gaming, (@ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D in particular) actually wrote a great article about this. Please read it here.

Sakurai said:
At the current time we have no plans. I consider my job at this point, and my main responsibility, to make the Wii U and 3DS versions the best and the fullest experience possible. That said, once finished, it’s the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards.”
Sakurai said:
“Creating a single fighter involves a huge investment, and we’ve already been giving it our all and investing a lot of work in the characters currently available in the game, and I think it’s an incredible package in terms of the sheer amount of content in the game. But it might be that people may not understand and may think that I am not offering enough just by looking at DLC itself.”

“As for why Mewtwo isn’t paid content from the start, releasing that character is an experiment meant to act as a foothold in content distribution; thus it’s simply meant as part of the service we’re providing to gamers.”
Personally, I think he's just reaffirming that DLC was not made without any sacrifices to the main development. We know this to be true as all the stuff that was cut (Dr. Mario stage, Rhythm Heaven rep, SwapNote stage, etc) has not shown up in any form.

He also said he's too big.
Actually, here's the quote about fighting characters. Please read it carefully:
Haven't been able to find a source. This might have been made up by fans, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Source Gaming is going to release an old Famitsu Column about Sakurai's thoughts about Snake in the very near future. Also, I'm working on translating Sakurai's GDC slides, for you guys. In those GDC slides and the Famitsu column about Snake, Sakurai has never said 1 character per third party.

You really can't trust what he says half of the time. Remember when he said there weren't any clone characters in Brawl? Turns out there were.
Source for no clone characters in Brawl?

I know Wolf had undergone major development changes in Brawl. He was originally much closer to Fox before he was "Luigified". See tcrf for more information.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
While I think it's fairly self evident that the game was designed with DLC in mind (the article I wrote points out why quite clearly,) I do not think that anything was "held back" for DLC. Smash 4 (especially when you look at both versions) has a ridiculous amount of content.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
Ness' custom and Lucina's presence in The game are proof that Sakurai didnt initially intended to put Lucas and Roy in The game, only Mewtwo. The problem is: to many people were going to buy Mewtwo. Then MONEY spoke loughter at Myamoto and Sakurai's ear.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Ness' custom and Lucina's presence in The game are proof that Sakurai didnt initially intended to put Lucas and Roy in The game, only Mewtwo. The problem is: to many people were going to buy Mewtwo. Then MONEY spoke loughter at Myamoto and Sakurai's ear.
Although I don't know what "loughter" is, I do agree with what you're saying. No one plans for future development in any project without results. Take movies for example, a movie can write hints of a sequel into its plot but may never go forward with continuing the franchise based on the profit made. Case and point, 2011's 'Green Lantern' had clear indications of intending to continue with future movies, (evidence in end credits scene with Sinestro) However the movie was not well received by fans and critics and didn't do the box office numbers they wanted. Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum, a movie that NEVER INTENDED future projects at first, 2009's 'Paul Blart Mall Cop'. However do to it exceeding expectations at the box office they went ahead and made a sequel that released this year.
And this is a common theme in ANY business model. If it makes money, DO IT AGAIN. and when you think about it... and please take this with a grain of salt, Paul Blart and Smash 4 DLC are very similar.
How much time and money does a DLC cost to produce? Multitudes less than a full game, especially for a character expansion DLC.
Now look at Paul Blart,
  • It cost $29 million to produce.
  • In its opening weekend alone it made $31,832,636
  • Throughout its box office career in the U.S. alone it made: $146,336,178
  • World wide it made an additional $36,956,953
Bringing its total to:
$183,293,131
That's an estimated profit of $6.32 profit per $1 spent. Clearly they had grounds to alter course and make a sequel. (facts pertaining to 'Paul Blart Mall Cop' were extrapolated from http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mallcop.htm )

NOW back to the Topic at hand
After reading briefly an interview with Masahiro Sakurai ( http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ntic_super_smash_bros_dlc_with_a_smaller_team )
I found it interesting he even acknowledges the cost effectiveness of DLC. And given that the DEV team has "shrunk in size" you can bet they don't spend much on creating DLC. In fact Sakurai's overall view of the DLC project is clear that he's now on board. I don't know the numbers pertaining to the first wave of DLC and is production cost and current profit but you can clearly tell this is as he says "A great deal"

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Although I don't know what "loughter" is, I do agree with what you're saying. Now one plans for future development in any project without results. Take movies for example, a movie can write hints of a sequel into its plot but may never go forward with continuing the franchise based on the profit made. Case and point, 2011's 'Green Lantern' had clear indications of intending to continue with future movies, (evidence in end credits scene with Sinestro) However the movie was not well received by fans and critics and didn't do the box office numbers they wanted. Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum, a movie that NEVER INTENDED future projects at first, 2009's 'Paul Blart Mall Cop'. However do to it exceeding expectations at the box office they went ahead and made a sequel that released this year.
And this is a common theme in ANY business model. If it makes money, DO IT AGAIN. and when you think about it... and please take this with a grain of salt, Paul Blart and Smash 4 DLC are very similar.
How much time and money does a DLC cost to produce? Multitudes less than a full game, especially for a character expansion DLC.
Now look at Paul Blart,
  • It cost $29 million to produce.
  • In its opening weekend alone it made $31,832,636
  • Throughout its box office career in the U.S. alone it made: $146,336,178
  • World wide it made an additional $36,956,953
Bringing its total to:
$183,293,131
That's an estimated profit of $6.32 profit per $1 spent. Clearly they had grounds to alter course and make a sequel. (facts pertaining to 'Paul Blart Mall Cop' were extrapolated from http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mallcop.htm )

NOW back to the Topic at hand
After reading briefly an interview with Masahiro Sakurai ( http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ntic_super_smash_bros_dlc_with_a_smaller_team )
I found it interesting he even acknowledges the cost effectiveness of DLC. And given that the DEV team has "shrunk in size" you can bet they don't spend much on creating DLC. In fact Sakurai's overall view of the DLC project is clear that he's now on board. I don't know the numbers pertaining to the first wave of DLC and is production cost and current profit but you can clearly tell this is as he says "A great deal"
Masked Man translated that (I did the Japanese transcription for him), check the source on the article, for the full article without random opinions/ statements thrown in. It's not an interview, it's from his weekly Famitsu column. There's 480 columns. Been working with other translators to get the more important ones for you guys (should have Snake in Brawl article soon)

Personally, I think they left themselves open to Dlc (as evident by other people/ my data mining), but they never decided what would be Dlc during development. I kind of think they knew that they would make Dlc, but were a bit afraid of giving off the impression that Dlc was just content that was held off.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Masked Man translated that (I did the Japanese transcription for him), check the source on the article, for the full article without random opinions/ statements thrown in. It's not an interview, it's from his weekly Famitsu column. There's 480 columns. Been working with other translators to get the more important ones for you guys (should have Snake in Brawl article soon)

Personally, I think they left themselves open to Dlc (as evident by other people/ my data mining), but they never decided what would be Dlc during development. I kind of think they knew that they would make Dlc, but were a bit afraid of giving off the impression that Dlc was just content that was held off.
I agree that they left themselves open, today anyone would if it meant more money but I bet a lot hinged on the success of the first wave of DLC. Again I'd love to see the profit margin Nintendo had with the Mewtwo release. Without more pieces to the puzzle we can merely speculate.
Interestingly enough, I don't know why they would worry about the impression they gave with DLC. Maybe Sakurai's pride wanted to remain intact, but you know the business end must have seen the disgusting amount of profit they could rake in. Heck, most people bought a Wii U because of Smash 4. ( I know I did )

Speculation aside I don't feel betrayed at all, I mean, they could have only released expansions for stage builder and I would have bought them the day of release.
Nintendo knows that they can always Shut me up and Take my money any day with no hard feelings.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
Although I don't know what "loughter" is"
Sorry. Louder*. Not my native lenguage tho.
Edit: Also, regarding youre post: Thats precisely What I ment ( is this The correct past of to mean?).
Those Mii hats and clothes set take less then two days two make The intire pack. And takes a small amount of people as well. Thats why they cost R$ 0,99 each (dunno in dollars). They dont actually spend anything on that tekken thing. Those are The guys who created Ruy Roy and Lucas' models and had nothing else to do while other people were animating, plishing, and other things that aren't for them to do.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Nah, We don't need Issac or Golden Girls honestly...

Give me Inkling, Starfy and Bomberman and I'm sold tho.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Fans asked him a month after release if DLC characters are coming, cause you'd think after all the crap they pump out for Mario Kart 8, having DLC characters for their most popular franchise would be a no brainer right? Then Sakurai said something like this (not exactly, but SOMETHING LIKE THIS) :

" No, there will be no more DLC characters after the launch of Smash bros for Wii-U, MewTwo is the one and only DLC character because he was meant to be in the game, we just got caught up and didn't finish him in time, but that's it. My reason is simple, i want people to feel like they payed 60 dollars for the full game, and that's what we will be doing, giving them the full experience without making them feel as if we only gave them half the game."

More DLC characters are coming out, and probably still a few more, so that was a lie. (hopefully Golden Sun) Then again, i don't think he was lying, i think Nintendo just forced him to release more characters, which i'm happy they did by the way. I know he wanted to do the "honorable thing" but c'mon dude, you decide to get all honorable on the one game we actually WANT tons of DLC for. lol.... Keep forcing him Nintendo, we need Issac and Felix! Oh, and Golden Sun girls!

I remember when the roster got leaked, everyone wanted to believe it was fake, cause it was so un-hype. Lots of "smart logical" people were coming up with any thing just to disprove the list being real, and that anyone who thought the roster was real, was an idiot, but in the end, the leak was real, funny stuff. lol
How hard is it to look up the actual quote before making a flame post about it on smash boards? common man. He said they weren't WORKING on any characters right now just mewtwo, and might make more depending on his sales. Get your **** together.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I believe this is the Famitsu article that the OP may be remembering, albeit inaccurately.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/sakurai-on-dlc-its-all-about-making-players-happy/

Had to disprove someone on the same issue in Twitch chat yesterday, sadly. Sakurai has never stated ANYTHING against DLC itself, he specifically mentioned ON-DISC DLC as the sole form of offense.

Edit: WOOPS
WRONG ARTICLE
HERE YOU GO
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-no-plans-for-smash-bros-dlc-tripping-removed
Same story, though.

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I never know if/when what Sakurai says is true or not, because most of the time the fanbase just makes up what he says.

In any case? Plans change, money talks and Smash has always wanted to keep some surprises in store.

Last edited:
Top Bottom