• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai intended for Items to be in Competitive play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangme

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have a small theory. Maybe Sakurai purposely made Glide Tossing because he was trying to make it the equivalent to Wavedashing. He was probably trying to make items played competitively, so he probably removed Wavedashing, but he replaced it with Glide Tossing.

This is just something small I've been thinking about a few hours ago. This is my opinion, and I was wondering if anyone agrees/disagrees with me.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Sakurai intended for there not to be competitive play. Period.

Slurpee

Smash Rookie
Many people said all that is to be said, but what I must say is... Competitive play in a game like this is innevitable. There will be tourneys, and there's not much we can do about it. Another thing is that, when you have items, it's often a rush to get to them, and not a battle. When you play with no items, on a stage like FD, it's about skills, and mindgames, and ability of player and character.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
>Sakurai intended to sell this game to as many people as possible.
While that is true, brawl could have been made a lot more competetive without being less appealing to casuals. Casual melee players aren't aware of many advanced techniques and their presence certainly doesn't ruin the appeal of the game. How can stuff like taking away ganon and falcons DJ after down special or, for a much more relevant example, lowering abillity to combo, be justified?
I for one was planning to buy not only brawl, but a wii as well. Now I'm just going to play wii games on friends' wiis. Having combos and edgegaurding be a significant aspect of the game would have caused me, and no doubt others, to buy the game, and in my case, the system as well, all without lowering the appeal to casual players as far as I can tell.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Brawl sold plenty of copies, so obviously Sakurai did something right.

I don't really feel like debating specifics, because as with all games, you could say that Brawl would be better if [insert feature] was in the game (or not in the game in some scenarios, as is the case with "tripping" and other seemingly arbitrary features). Regardless, Sakurai did what he needed to do (in his mind) to sell his game. And it sold. Like crazy. There's no way to know if it would have sold more or less if the game had been more geared towards "competitive gamers." Trying to argue either side would just be speculation.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
No, the items are just too crazy for them to be intended to be in competitive play. Look at Smart Bombs, Gooey Bombs, Dragoons, Super Spicy Curry, and Smash Balls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom