• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Smash Lord
Sakurai is Smash. The series owes everything to him. Everything. EVERYTHING.

The disrespect of Sakurai is incredible and repulsive. He has devoted large portions of his life to create these masterpieces of game design. He wants people to love his games and have fun playing them. That's all! Believe it or not, Sakurai wants you to have fun! It is the penultimate goal. And all people can do is whine and whine and whine about the one thing he didn't include. All I hear is: "Me, me, me, me, me." It's disrespectful of the one person who matters THE MOST in the WHOLE WORLD when it comes to SMASH. Without Sakurai, Smash Boards would not exist. Smash would not exist. The entire notion of a Smash-like game would not exist. He has worked, so so so incredibly hard to give this game to us. Probably harder than most people work towards any one dream in their lifetimes. And to degrade him? It's looking a gift horse in the mouth and then punching the guy that gave it to you. It's classless. It's horrible. It's borderline sociopathic. Just stop it people. Stop.
I am sure that all of those people who are "disrespecting Sakurai" are surely eternally grateful to him for creating this franchise, but at the same time they don't have to like everything he's done to it. I don't believe they're disrespecting him if they don't like the fact that he hasn't included Ridley in the game, or would like to see someone else take over as director of the game. I mean, it's hard to say. They appreciate everything he's done, but at the same time they just want to see the series go in a different direction.

All in all, I'm just bugged because I really do think they could make Ridley work.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The concept evolved into them being trophies. Brawl's story mode was completely focused on that concept, even referring to the world as: "The World of Trophies". The fact that the fighters revert back to trophies at the end of Classic and All-Star doesn't mean it's left this game's "canon".
Ahh... world of trophies? Now I just realized why Ridley isn't playable... his amiibo figurine would be too big.

Also, to the people comparing Olimar's size to R.O.B.... R.O.B.s come in different sizes. Didn't you see The Two Captains? The R.O.B. head in Pikmin 2 is actually from that giant R.O.B. :troll:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I says he'd have to be a sword fighter. If it was Wind Waker G-Dorf. Dual swords would solve everything. How much magic could he actually have aside from those beam attacks?
He could use both variations of the lightning ball from Ocarina of Time, the force lightning and fire bats from Link to the Past, or the teleportation and ghost horsemen from Twilight Princess. He doesn't need to use magic for every move.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Look at Bowser's moveset *******. Please go watch a video on youtube or something detailing his moveset. To say he was not made more athletic than in Brawl or Melee is just plane wrong.

Ganondorf does not use physical moves in twilight princes... He kicks you during a sword fight if you're too close to him. That's literally it. It's not even like some super power kick mean to kill link. It's just like a little assertion of power when link gets too close.

Also, you responded to my argument with "His moveset works well enough". Really? That's all you could come w up with? I made a huge post listing reasons why Ganondorf's moveset is unfitting and does not properly represent him at all and you respond by taking me back to square one. I explained to you that his moveset is bull**** and you literally just say "Well it works" Wow. I went through the moveset bit by bit explaining why Ganondorf is not represented well at all in Smash Bros, and you just ignored it all. Because you probably aren't reading this paragraph right now, I'll list the reasons below.

1. He does not use any physical moves besides a minor kick during a swordfight that were physical.

2. He is not tired and worn out even though he's old, which is part of his character. As I've said many times to you already, to be slow he does not need to look like he's dying. Bowser and Palutena are slow, but they don't intentionally look like they're in mid aneurism as they run. Making Ganondorf tired and slow is a huge disservice to his character.

3. Just because he uses magic does not mean he is represented well. Just because he uses some magic when he punches does not mean he's being represented as he would in the games by any means. Ganondorf is not a physical fighter, he's a weapon weilder and a magic user. It's like if Harry Potter where in Smash Bros, but instead of casting spells he just beat people with his wand.

Ganondorf is not a well done representation of his in-game character. Don't deny it. I have the points listed above, so if you tell me he needs to be slow in order to be powerful I swear to god I will Warlock Punch you. So my point here is that if this is how Sakurai treats Ganon, then he shouldn't be keeping Ridley out of Smash Bros because he'd be "misrepresented". Ganondorf is insultingly represented. There is no way in hell you could possibly say that this slow and gasping fistfighter is representing the most iconic warlock in gaming well.
He jumps, he rolls, weeee. He's not agile at all.

TP Link takes like 1/4 a heart from anything, including that.

Hey, if it works, it works. Dunno what to tell ya.

Hyrule Warriors. Ganondorf's magic is largely physically used. Punching energy spheres, punching the ground, summoning Gannon's giant arm to smash things... Next you're going to say HW isn't a good represention of him since he never uses any of those swords in specific.

Don't look like he's dying to me.

Even though he's had magic punches since OoT... Boss tennis, anyone?

Don't deny it? Just did.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Did you not read the part where I said "I completely agree" with the notion of Smash Ganondorf being less desirable than Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf?

I was just saying that there is a BASIS for why he is the way he is, like every other character. Nobody's fighting style it pulled out of thin air.

Dark Pit didn't fly by himself in the ending. Viridi granted him the Power of Flight. He lost his own natural ability to fly after defeating Amazon Pandora.

Also, Smash does have official canon:

Smash 4 definitively takes place AFTER Subspace Emissary.

Also, Ridley is pretty defined by his ability to fly. There are entire boss fights in the Metroid series (and in Brawl) that revolve around his ability to do so.

Haha, nice job pulling that Viridi thing out of your ass. It is never said that Viridi is making pittoo fly. Maybe she is IDK, but you can't use that as an argument, sorry. Also you didn't respond to my meta knight argument. SO what if Ridley flies around in a bossfight? So does Metaknight, so your point is mute. Ridley's main attribute isn't flying, that's ********. Ridley isn't ruined if he can't fly forever, lol.

When I said Smash Bros. doesn't follow any Canon, what I meant was that none of the games that are rep'd have Smash in their Canon. That would have to mean that sometime during Twilight Princess after Ganon was supposed to be executed, Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf all met to fight other Nintendo characters at some time during the events of Twilight Princess that we didn't see. Since Ganondorf has his execution wound, and Link has his hero's Garb this would have to take place while link is fighting Ganondorf. Also, It'd have to take place sometimes during the final battle with Ganon in TP since Zelda has her light arrows. Overall, Smash does not follow the canon of it's games.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Actually,Viridi could be responsible for Pittoo flying.He could fly on his own for a long time,but he lost that power.Then later he is seen flying without explanation.Who knows...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
So much salt and so much Sakurai hate...

I see we are still nitpicking every single "out of place" thing because Sakurai said Ridley is too big...I dunno why I expected anything differently.

Guess what guys:

Mario would never attack Peach.
Ganondorf would roflstomp most of the roster with ease.
According to the entrances Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja are owned by trainers as they come out of a pokeball but we never see them, wild pokemon in pokeballs?

Stop attempting to make these stupid comparisons seem like they have anything to do with the topic at hand. Sakurai wasn't "too lazy" to include a playable Ridley, he realizes the character is supposed to be huge and made him a huge boss, so stop hating a hardworking game developer because you didn't get your way, just makes you seem like a bunch of salty brats tbh, that's what I'm seeing.

If Sakurai was really trying to "troll" the Ridley supporters he would have left him out. Stop acting like victims because you aren't, he told you he would be a stage boss in April, and his reasons for not making Ridley playable are valid. It's not his fault Metroid has two interesting characters.

Also Ridley not being playable isn't a big deal since I bet everyone complaining is buying the game anyway, maybe even twice, amirite?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Haha, nice job pulling that Viridi thing out of your ***. It is never said that Viridi is making pittoo fly. Maybe she is IDK, but you can't use that as an argument, sorry. Also you didn't respond to my meta knight argument. SO what if Ridley flies around in a bossfight? So does Metaknight, so your point is mute. Ridley's main attribute isn't flying, that's ********. Ridley isn't ruined if he can't fly forever, lol.

When I said Smash Bros. doesn't follow any Canon, what I meant was that none of the games that are rep'd have Smash in their Canon. That would have to mean that sometime during Twilight Princess after Ganon was supposed to be executed, Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf all met to fight other Nintendo characters at some time during the events of Twilight Princess that we didn't see. Since Ganondorf has his execution wound, and Link has his hero's Garb this would have to take place while link is fighting Ganondorf. Also, It'd have to take place sometimes during the final battle with Ganon in TP since Zelda has her light arrows. Overall, Smash does not follow the canon of it's games.
"Haha your argument does not work because I didn't play the game and I said so"

Also, Smash does connect to other franchises. The Palutena's Guidance for Dark Pit (in Smash) is legitimately tying up loose ends from Uprising. And then Palutena and Pit remember the events from Subspace Emissary.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
He jumps, he rolls, weeee. He's not agile at all.

TP Link takes like 1/4 a heart from anything, including that.

Hey, if it works, it works. Dunno what to tell ya.

Hyrule Warriors. Ganondorf's magic is largely physically used. Punching energy spheres, punching the ground, summoning Gannon's giant arm to smash things... Next you're going to say HW isn't a good represention of him since he never uses any of those swords in specific.

Don't look like he's dying to me.

Don't deny it? Just did.
Why are you so insisitent. Sakurai explicitly said multiple times that he purposely meant to make Ganondorf look tired and out of breath. "He rolls" So ****ing what!? All characters in Smash Roll. Ganondorf moves like a turtle. His moves are slow he moves like he's dying, he bears NO attributes of his game forms. HE DOES ONE KICK MOVE IN TP AND SUDDENLY HE'S A FISTFIGHTER? Ganondorf is NO a physical fighter save ONE MOVE in a 4 phase bossfight. How does this justify making a moveset that is entirely physical!? This makes no sense, you are just saying nonsense.

How about we make Link a sumo wrestler in Smash Bros, since he sumo'd in twilight princess. That makes sense right? Also, mario should be a Falcon clone as well. He punches in super mario 64? Let's make him look like he's dying of exhaustion when he runs. What? Mario is agile you say? Phhh... He can role! Totally agile!

Ganondorf, as I have said many times before is meant to be old yet fiercly agile. Sakurai has said multiple times that he is MEANT to look tired and out of breath. He is a poor representation. Provide me with good one reason why this decision is justified. One reason.

Also, you said that Bowser is not agile earlier. However, you just said Ganondorf is agile because he can roll. Bowser, like all other Smash fighters, can role. You are contradicting yourself. You are changing your mind based on what is beneficial to your argument. You're grasping straws to the max saying that a kick during a sword duel proves he is a suitable fist fighter. Even if he does punch the ground during OOT, it's still a ranged attack since it creates a shockwave. Explain to me, please, how Ganondorf is well represented.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
"Haha your argument does not work because I didn't play the game and I said so"

Also, Smash does connect to other franchises. The Palutena's Guidance for Dark Pit (in Smash) is legitimately tying up loose ends from Uprising. And then Palutena and Pit remember the events from Subspace Emissary.
So? Those are supposed to be comedic. The Pit and Palutena constantly break the forth wall. And forget that point anyway. It doesn't actually matter.

Why is Ridley's main attribute flying again?
Ridley: Has one phase of a bossfight where he is consistently flying: Main Attribute
Meta Knight: Has one phase of a bossfight where he is constantly flying: Not main attribute.

Why?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So? Those are supposed to be comedic. The Pit and Palutena constantly break the forth wall. And forget that point anyway. It doesn't actually matter.

Why is Ridley's main attribute flying again?
Ridley: Has one phase of a bossfight where he is consistently flying: Main Attribute
Meta Knight: Has one phase of a bossfight where he is constantly flying: Not main attribute.

Why?
You know, if you're constantly saying stuff like "I didn't know that", and then go on to make brash and baseless counter statements, then it doesn't give the people you are talking to a lot of confidence in you at all.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
\

Punching the ground to create a shockwave from a distance/Punching an energy sphere at an enemy from a distance =/= rushing at a guy and punching him in the face with full force like he's Captain Falcon or Mario and being useless at a distance.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why are you so insisitent. Sakurai explicitly said multiple times that he purposely meant to make Ganondorf look tired and out of breath. "He rolls" So ****ing what!? All characters in Smash Roll. Ganondorf moves like a turtle. His moves are slow he moves like he's dying, he bears NO attributes of his game forms. HE DOES ONE KICK MOVE IN TP AND SUDDENLY HE'S A FISTFIGHTER? Ganondorf is NO a physical fighter save ONE MOVE in a 4 phase bossfight. How does this justify making a moveset that is entirely physical!? This makes no sense, you are just saying nonsense.

How about we make Link a sumo wrestler in Smash Bros, since he sumo'd in twilight princess. That makes sense right? Also, mario should be a Falcon clone as well. He punches in super mario 64? Let's make him look like he's dying of exhaustion when he runs. What? Mario is agile you say? Phhh... He can role! Totally agile!

Ganondorf, as I have said many times before is meant to be old yet fiercly agile. Sakurai has said multiple times that he is MEANT to look tired and out of breath. He is a poor representation. Provide me with good one reason why this decision is justified. One reason.

Also, you said that Bowser is not agile earlier. However, you just said Ganondorf is agile because he can roll. Bowser, like all other Smash fighters, can role. You are contradicting yourself. You are changing your mind based on what is beneficial to your argument. You're grasping straws to the max saying that a kick during a sword duel proves he is a suitable fist fighter. Even if he does punch the ground during OOT, it's still a ranged attack since it creates a shockwave. Explain to me, please, how Ganondorf is well represented.
Ganondorf is slow because he has very high attack output. It's called game balance.

He's an heavyweight character. He hits like a truck. He is slow, because his sheer physical strength needs a weakness. Heavyweights are classified as being powerful but slow, which is exactly what Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede are in Smash.

If he had the same strength but had speed on top of that, he would be overpowered.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
You know, if you're constantly saying stuff like "I didn't know that", and then go on to make brash and baseless counter statements, then it doesn't give the people you are talking to a lot of confidence in you at all.
Thanks for replying to my argument. Good point there! You've really convinced me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Thanks for replying to my argument. Good point there! You've really convinced me.
You really didn't make an argument though.

"Oh that's supposed to be comedic it obviously can't mean anything in the Grand scheme of things."

You need to watch South Park or something.

Udlr Customs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UDLR Hanzo
I dont see how people really looked forward to this in the first place so many other characters would have been better

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf is slow because he has very high attack output. It's called game balance.

He's an heavyweight character. He hits like a truck. He is slow, because his sheer physical strength needs a weakness. Heavyweights are classified as being powerful but slow, which is exactly what Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede are in Smash.

If he had the same strength but had speed on top of that, he would be overpowered.
Dude, I know. This is the sixth time I've responded to this I think. However, as I've said before, it's how they make him slow that represents the character so poorly.

Ganondorf is intentionally made to move like he's tired and out of breath. This was stated by Sakurai. In the actual Zelda games, ganondorf is slow when he fights you, but not because he is incapable. DDuring the fights he just nonchalantly strides towards you like a badass because he's confident. What proves that he is not incapable, is the fact that he can move like a champ when he needs to. Even the fat and old Ganon of windwaker Moves like a 20 year old kung-fu fighter. This is a major part of Ganondorf's character, like many old wizards from fantasy, he's an old dude, but he's still incredibly adept. To make him slow and weary is a disservice to his character. It shows that Ganondorf is not represented well at all in Smash Bros. You don't have to make a character act as if he's dying when he runs just because he needs to be slow. Bowser, Palutena, Ike, and many others prove this

However, Ganondorf could have a mix of agilty and slowness in his moves. Bowser proves this in his new moveset. Go watch a video or something on it. Bowser is very agile, yet still slow.

My point here is this, Ganondorf is not the slow, weary, and tired old man that we see in Smash. Ganondorf is indeed an old man, but he is by no means tired and weary. Exactly the opposite actually. So this is poor character representation. Of course, that isn't all that I think misrepresents Ganondorf, but I already mentioned that in my first post on here.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
*walks into thread* reads one part of the 200 paragraphs *walks out of thread*

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom

Melee Ganondorf had speed and strength and wasn't overpowered. Bowser is also deceptively quick, according to here, he's around as fast as Marth/Lucina and faster in terms of run speed than most of the characters in the game. I don't think being strong should be exclusive to characters who have incredibly slow attacks and run speeds.

I dont see how people really looked forward to this in the first place so many other characters would have been better
So many other characters in your opinion. Some people really like Ridley and honestly wanted him to be in the game.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
You really didn't make an argument though.

"Oh that's supposed to be comedic it obviously can't mean anything in the Grand scheme of things."

You need to watch South Park or something.
Dude, it's a sarcastic comment. Try getting over it. Anyway, can you just respond to what I said. I asked you a question, can you please answer?

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? dude go and play Mario party, get a star and see how Mario acts, play any spinoff and win and see how they act, play MK8 and see how the act. Now go and play Smash 4 win a battle or do a taunt and see if that's the same Mario we all love, no "Yahoo!" "Mario number 1" "Mario superstar" "Oh no!!! Do'h " "Woooooh-Ohhhh" Pit and Sonic are 100% like the are in the games, all happy, cocky and awesome, Mario looks mad and wants to do a Shoryuken!!!, Luigi is so cherrfull in the mario games and here when he wins he looks scared and waaaay goofy, Peach looks like "Oh I win nah doesnt matter" and dont make me start with Dk ad Bowser.
You're mostly right here, but I do think that In 64 and Galaxy Mario was more heroic and serious like he is in Smash Bros.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dude, I know. This is the sixth time I've responded to this I think. However, as I've said before, it's how they make him slow that represents the character so poorly.

Ganondorf is intentionally made to move like he's tired and out of breath. This was stated by Sakurai. In the actual Zelda games, ganondorf is slow when he fights you, but not because he is incapable. DDuring the fights he just nonchalantly strides towards you like a badass because he's confident. What proves that he is not incapable, is the fact that he can move like a champ when he needs to. Even the fat and old Ganon of windwaker Moves like a 20 year old kung-fu fighter. This is a major part of Ganondorf's character, like many old wizards from fantasy, he's an old dude, but he's still incredibly adept. To make him slow and weary is a disservice to his character. It shows that Ganondorf is not represented well at all in Smash Bros. You don't have to make a character act as if he's dying when he runs just because he needs to be slow. Bowser, Palutena, Ike, and many others prove this

However, Ganondorf could have a mix of agilty and slowness in his moves. Bowser proves this in his new moveset. Go watch a video or something on it. Bowser is very agile, yet still slow.

My point here is this, Ganondorf is not the slow, weary, and tired old man that we see in Smash. Ganondorf is indeed an old man, but he is by no means tired and weary. Exactly the opposite actually. So this is poor character representation. Of course, that isn't all that I think misrepresents Ganondorf, but I already mentioned that in my first post on here.
I'm a big Ganondorf fan and I'm not really bothered by how he is in Smash.

He could have some more unique flair, sure, and I'd be ecstatic if it happened, but as he is right now, I don't have much problem with his portrayal. I still feel like I'm playing as the same menacing dark lord from the Zelda series.

That's all I have to say, really. Agree to disagree and let's just move on.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Melee Ganondorf had speed and strength and wasn't overpowered. Bowser is also deceptively quick, according to here, he's around as fast as Marth/Lucina and faster in terms of run speed than most of the characters in the game. I don't think being strong should be exclusive to characters who have incredibly slow attacks and run speeds.

So many other characters in your opinion. Some people really like Ridley and honestly wanted him to be in the game.
I agree with you. Bowser is a slow walker, but he's still strong AND deceptively fast. This is what I wish they'd do with G-Dorf.

Regarding what you said about Ganondorf, I do agree that in Melee he was less stupid looking. However, I still think he was poorly represented since he wasn't even a semi-clone back then.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
I'm a big Ganondorf fan and I'm not really bothered by how he is in Smash.

He could have some more unique flair, sure, and I'd be ecstatic if it happened, but as he is right now, I don't have much problem with his portrayal. I still feel like I'm playing as the same menacing dark lord from the Zelda series.

That's all I have to say, really. Agree to disagree and let's just move on.
Ok, I disagree, but I'm not trying to prove that he should be changed right now (even if I think he should).

My main point, which I think we both can agree on, is that he is anything but similar to how he is in Zelda. My original point was this basically.

-If the way Ganondorf is treated shows accurate representation of a character, then sizing down Ridley, given he has a moveset based off his canon, really shouldn't be a problem.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I find this kinda silly. It's not really the fact he's not playable, but the reasons. I mean, first off "The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale.", second off, Ridley walks just as much as he flies when he's a stage hazard, and third off Ridley wouldn't be himself, while characters like Villager and Mii's being practically completely different is ok?

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
-If the way Ganondorf is treated shows accurate representation of a character, then sizing down Ridley, given he has a moveset based off his canon, really shouldn't be a problem.
Speaking of canon, I find it funny how Sakurai doesnt want to change Ridley's design to be faithful yet Sheik has a Twilight Princess design even though she never appeared in the game which is unfaithful to the full finished product,

Yep. Just like how the Chorus Kids fanbase was nonexistent before Gematsu/Sal
SHOTS FIRED & KNUCKLES
The & Knuckles makes this post.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ok, I disagree, but I'm not trying to prove that he should be changed right now (even if I think he should).

My main point, which I think we both can agree on, is that he is anything but similar to how he is in Zelda. My original point was this basically.

The problem with character portrayal is that is very subjective.

Sakurai doesn't see any problems in Ganondorf as he is now but sees problems in shrinking Ridley. That's all there is to it.

Like I said, Ganondorf's only semblance with his canon appearances are the magic effects and sheer strength. Maybe that's what Sakurai sees as defining of Ganondorf's character. At the same time, he doesn't want to alienate Ganondorf players too much, so he avoids making drastic changes to his moveset.

Likewise, he sees Ridley's size as an important aspect of his character. Shrinking him down ought to not sit well with him. He's a game designer and, from what I can tell, a perfectionist. Being a bit of a perfectionist myself, I can be very picky with how I do my own things, so I can sympathize with Sakurai a bit in that regard.

His views are not always in line with the fans and he chooses to believe what he thinks that makes the game a better experience, even if not everyone agrees with him.

There's nothing more I can really say about this subject, really. This is nothing but a disagreement. Those happen all the time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Speaking of canon, I find it funny how Sakurai doesnt want to change Ridley's design to be faithful yet Sheik has a Twilight Princess design even though she never appeared in the game which is unfaithful to the full finished product,

The & Knuckles makes this post.
Sheik got the Twilight Princess design because it was based on a scrapped concept art for Twilight Princess... that means Sheik's appearance in Twilight Princess was considered at one point before they decided to not include Sheik in the game.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Sheik got the Twilight Princess design because it was based on a scrapped concept art for Twilight Princess... that means Sheik's appearance in Twilight Princess was considered at one point before they decided to not include Sheik in the game.
It's still unfaithful to the full finished product since Shiek doesn't appear in Twilight Princess at all though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People shouldn't be insulting or demonizing Sakurai but some of you think too highly of him. It's just as ridiculous.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's still unfaithful to the full finished product since Shiek doesn't appear in Twilight Princess at all though.
Do you expect everything to be 100% faithful to the full finished products?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ahh... world of trophies? Now I just realized why Ridley isn't playable... his amiibo figurine would be too big.

Also, to the people comparing Olimar's size to R.O.B.... R.O.B.s come in different sizes. Didn't you see The Two Captains? The R.O.B. head in Pikmin 2 is actually from that giant R.O.B. :troll:
Thinking about it now, that's probably what the scene was primarily in reference to.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
MMMMMM, Salty Ridley tears.

Troll Bait aside, Smash has some inaccurate characters like Wario.

Sakurai made him a gross fat man that farts, but he really is a greedy fat man that eats garlic. :warioc:
So even if he does screw Ridley up, no one will care because it happened before.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
The problem with character portrayal is that is very subjective.

Sakurai doesn't see any problems in Ganondorf as he is now but sees problems in shrinking Ridley. That's all there is to it.

Like I said, Ganondorf's only semblance with his canon appearances are the magic effects and sheer strength. Maybe that's what Sakurai sees as defining of Ganondorf's character. At the same time, he doesn't want to alienate Ganondorf players too much, so he avoids making drastic changes to his moveset.

Likewise, he sees Ridley's size as an important aspect of his character. Shrinking him down ought to not sit well with him. He's a game designer and, from what I can tell, a perfectionist. Being a bit of a perfectionist myself, I can be very picky with how I do my own things, so I can sympathize with Sakurai a bit in that regard.

His views are not always in line with the fans and he chooses to believe what he thinks that makes the game a better experience, even if not everyone agrees with him.

There's nothing more I can really say about this subject, really. This is nothing but a disagreement. Those happen all the time.
Ok, the alienating players thing is kinda dumb. If they were actually focused on not alienating players, they wouldn't have changed up Bowser and Zero Suit.

Also, though I can understand where you're coming from in saying representation is subjective, and Sakurai may see Ganon's moves as fine, intentionally deviating from the source material is not subjective. When you intentionally change something so it misrepresents a character, there's no opinion involved. If Sakurai changes Ganondorf and makes him completely the opposite of what he is in Zelda, then he is not providing a good representation of a character. How can you claim to not include a character because it would be misrepresented in game, when you intentionally have gone out of your way to misrepresent a character? What sense does that make? All I am saying here is that Ganondorf is a reasonable argument as to why misrepresentation is not something that should keep a character out of Smash Bros.

i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom