• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
This makes me laugh, pretty much the whole accurate portrayal part is an argument I made a thousand times on youtube yet people would curse me .

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This makes me laugh, pretty much the whole accurate portrayal part is an argument I made a thousand times on youtube yet people would curse me .
The problem is, 'accurate portrayal' is an incredibly subjective argument. I think Ganondorf running like a geriatric, Bowser sounding like Godzilla with a headcold, and Rosalina sending her children out to die for her are hardly accurate, but some don't.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
At least he explained why Ridley isn't playable. I think this settles it, Ridley is never going to be playable in Super Smash Bros. A true shame.

I Love Samus Aran

Banned via Warnings
The mods also broke their own no spam rules in this topic.
Yeah the staff seem like **** on here, I ask questions and they don't respond, but spam here?

Can I donate here to abuse powers too or?

how does it work?

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This thread won't last long, I'll say that much. If you ask me it shouldn't last long, all its doing is allowing trolls to feast on the suffering of Ridley fans.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Thread title is misleading / troll bait. I don't think it's the size that's the biggest issue, though it is a contributing factor.
He gives 3 reasons ridley wouldn't be true to ridley as a smash character and 2 of them are his size and his proportions. Don't call my post trollbait.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Not very surprising at all though I believe this was expected.

All of this Ridley vs. anti-Ridley supporters was completely pointless to begin with and a complete waste of time.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The mods also broke their own no spam rules in this topic.
Last I checked, posting reminders of what not to do in a thread like this doesn't qualify as spam.

Given this is a controversial topic, it's always best to warn of unacceptable behaviors.

But I'd rather not start arguing about this. This sort of stuff is best taken to Forum Support.

Last edited:

I Love Samus Aran

Banned via Warnings
Not very surprising at all though I believe this was expected.

All of this Ridley vs. anti-Ridley supporters was completely pointless to begin with and a complete waste of time.
I agree, this was confirmed in April, people are just stupid.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the staff seem like **** on here, I ask questions and they don't respond, but spam here?

Can I donate here to abuse powers too or?

how does it work?
the smashboard mods are always overzealous but you're being kind of a **** when they've warned you twice not to be, not super hard to understand or in need of clarification

Last edited:

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
The problem is, 'accurate portrayal' is an incredibly subjective argument. I think Ganondorf running like a geriatric, Bowser sounding like Godzilla with a headcold, and Rosalina sending her children out to die for her are hardly accurate, but some don't.
Well the main sense is that they look like who they're supposed to be, regardless of downsizing and such. A downsized ridley wouldn't be the terrifying mysterious monster he's destined to be.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Though I felt this way since Ridley's confirmation as a boss in the last Smash-centered Direct, it's official now. Though he did see what the fans desired, Sakurai did his best and still didn't feel that Ridley could work right as a fighter. I think it's safe to say Ridley will not be playable in Smash Bors. until a new Director that feels differently about the matter takes over (how long will that be? That's something none of us can be certain of).

Personally I still think the game is great regardless, though I disagree with this reasoning... I'm not going to advocate for a new Director just because of this either.

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
This is the same man who said size is irrelevant. IE:

Olimar
Pikmin
Kirby
Nintendogs

At least be consistent. :/

Last edited:

I Love Samus Aran

Banned via Warnings
Nothing was confirmed in April and can you really blame us for speculating? I mean he did move and end up turning out very similar to a playable character.
"Other bosses may appear"

*pic of Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere*

Confirmed stage boss.

You guys got excited over nothing, it was funny to read.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nothing was confirmed in April and can you really blame us for speculating? I mean he did move and end up turning out very similar to a playable character. Don't you speculate on characters you want in?
Never mind he became an Assist Character too. That wasn't seen coming.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Last I checked, posting reminders of what not to do in a thread like this doesn't qualify as spam.
Well remind us and don't threaten us. (or just edit the original post with a mod note saying the rules. That would be better, everyone would see it at the first post and there'd be no need to clog up the forum. And any other off topic posts can be removed).
But ok we move on.

Like Sakurai's decision or hate it, he did think a lot about it before coming to the decision. And that's all we can really hope for. That all major decisions in the game aare carefully considered. That's what I really like about the whole issue.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, from the moment I saw his shadow in the Direct, I knew Ridley wasn't playable. It was pretty obvious.

"Other bosses may appear"

*pic of Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere*

Confirmed stage boss.

You guys got excited over nothing, it was funny to read.
This guy gets it.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
After reading Sakurai's comments, I've concluded that Sakurai must really, legitametly love Ridley and his portrayal in the Metroid games.

I'm happy because basically Sakurai is saying that portraying Ridley as a total badass is more important than doing so for Mewtwo, Ganondorf, etc.

So Ridley's obviously a Sakurai favorite.

Mewtwo is canonically super-powerful, but Sakurai seriously weakened him compared to his canon power level so he could go toe-to-toe with characters like Princess Peach and Villager.

So obviously Sakurai cares deeply about Ridley and how awesome and intimidating Ridley is if he's willing to keep Ridley's character sacred, but not Mewtwo's or Ganondorf's.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
FINALLY.
Let's put it to bed already, guys.

For real, Ridley is an overhyped character. The popularity behind him is ridiculous.

I Love Samus Aran

Banned via Warnings
Ok, trolling aside, I really don't get why the april direct wasn't enough for people. I'd like to discuss this in a civil manner. Sakurai clearly told us he was a stage boss back then...don't hate him now or wish that he leaves.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I understand what Sakurai is saying but when you have people like dark pit and Ganondorf who are not playing accurate portrayals of characters you can't really make that excuse.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I kinda wish there was some other Metroid villain who could be playable to make up for the lack of Ridley. Too bad generic characters like Space Pirates or Toads never seem to make the cut.

Well if Ridley is too big, I guess the only recourse for Ridley fans is to support a different boss. Kraid for SSB5, plz.

(On a more serious note, I don't get why people are surprised at Sakurai saying that Ridley is too big when Sakurai was the person who said he was too big to begin with He's not repeating the meme, guys. He's just restating what he said before)

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
This is the same man who said size is irrelevant. IE:

Olimar
Pikmin
Kirby

Nintendogs

At least be consistent. :/
What.

Anyways, it's not a size issue, dude. It's about being able to accurately represent the character. He gave legitimate reasons as to why Ridley couldn't work if they cut him down.
I think the same could be said for Chibi Robo NEVER being playable. Unlike Olimar, who is roughly the same size, Chibi Robo is based around him being tiny. If Sakurai buffed up the robo and made him Pikachu size, Chibi Robo's traits and specialty would be lost in translation.

Come on, guys. We should have been advocating for Anthony or Adam for another Metroid rep.
Yeah, I went there. But Anthony would have been cool with his giant blaster.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's going to be September 11th all over again, except worse.

I'll leave before that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom